Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
$9 Computer includes OS - Page 4 — Parallax Forums

$9 Computer includes OS

Comments

• Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    NOOBs is supposed to make life easy for Windows users that don't know haw to put a disk image onto an SD card. They only have to copy a file to the SD.

Oh, and it allows a selection of different operating systems to install.

You don't need that. You need Raspbian. Otherwise you are into a support nightmare.

As I hang around the Raspi forum I see so many people coming there with NOOBs problems I wonder why it is supported at all.

• TorTor Posts: 2,010
    Raspbian is easy. The web page explains exactly what to do. Write the downloaded image to an SD card, and the instructions tell how to do that in Windows and Linux (at least). And that's the only crucial difference from NOOBS - you write the image to the card, instead of just a file to a filesystem on the card. But the step is explained. It's not difficult.
    After that it's plain sailing. I wrote the image to a 16GB card, because that's what I had. The image is for a smaller card, so it doesn't actually match the card, but they've made that easy too - plug in the card, boot, and the first thing it does is to automatically re-size the image to match the card. As if it had been made for (in my case) 16GB in the first place.
    Nothing could be simpler. Easiest computer I've ever installed&booted.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
    MikeDYur wrote: »
    Thanks for the info guys.
    Going to power it from this 12V lighter adapter, it's rated at 2.1A from a single port.

It's supposed to be powered from 5V, not 12V. That is why it has a USB connector.

• Don MDon M Posts: 1,647
    Got my Pi Zero WiFi today.

Mike- I ordered mine the same day. What option did you use for shipping? I chose Royal Mail. Not sure how long that's going to take....

• Don M wrote: »
    Got my Pi Zero WiFi today.

Mike- I ordered mine the same day. What option did you use for shipping? I chose Royal Mail. Not sure how long that's going to take....

I didn't have a choice on shipping, but there was an email from Pimoroni, that said my order was sent out Royal Mail. It was via air mail, so you shouldn't have to wait for a container ship to get sorted out. If you live in the US, you probably will get it today or tomorrow.

Leon wrote: »
    Thanks for the info guys.
    Going to power it from this 12V lighter adapter, it's rated at 2.1A from a single port.

It's supposed to be powered from 5V, not 12V. That is why it has a USB connector.

That is one of the automotive cigarette lighter adapter, it has two 5V charging ports. One @2.1A the other @1.0A. Depending on the power supply it's plugged into, I hope it will provide quiet, stable 5.0V @2.0A. I have a wall wart that came off a USB hub, if that don't work.

Heater and Tor, Since I thought I was ready for this, but now I find i'm not. I will download Rasbian and install it instead.

NOOBS only unzipped to around 1.1Gb, It must take awhile to install, if it is going to use the more than a 4Gb card.

Mike Y.
  • MikeDYurMikeDYur Posts: 2,176
    edited 2017-03-10 15:16
    I looked over the NOOBS folder created by the downloaded archive. And found the meat and potatoes of the OS, another compressed tarball. I can see where a 4Gb card would cut it close.
    601 x 204 - 26K
  • Here is splash screen from the install of NOOBS.
    640 x 440 - 42K
    edited 2017-03-10 20:13
    Perseverance pays off when searching unmarked boxes, I found a couple of HDMI cables. The one I was thinking of is perfect for the job, color matched to the power supply.

I think for now I'll try to build NOOBS on the 4Gb card, and see what happens. And pick up an 8Gb card and Rasbian the next time I go to town.

EDIT: Houston I have video, but not enough free space on the SD. It says it needs 4096MB, so I'm stuck unless I can use a 32GB card.
    2048 x 1152 - 897K
  • 32 G card should work fine. Same addressing lines as a 4.
    Jim
  • RS_Jim wrote: »
    32 G card should work fine. Same addressing lines as a 4.
    Jim

Thanks

That would be my tablet's card, ten and a half gigs are in use, I'll just back it up. Don't have much use for the little cards, I would rather have a little more real estate to hold on to.

Mike
    Woo hoo! Mine arrived today!
  • I think once Noobs has finished doing its stuff, assuming you choose Raspbian, then you end up with the SD card the same as if you'd downloaded just the Raspbian image in the first place.

Noobs needs extra room to work while it's setting up - and it includes several other distros besides Raspbian - that's why it needs a bigger SD card.

If you're intending to use Raspbian and have a Windows PC to download images and write them to SD cards, then I recommend just using the Raspbian image and the Win32 disk imager tool (free) to burn the image to the SD card. That way the set-up process is a little quicker and you can use a card as small as 4GB. There are some more minimal images that work with a 2GB card, but it doesn't matter if the SD card is bigger as once Raspbian is installed it will reclaim any additional space available automatically.

Win32 disk imager (there are similar tools available in Linux) also lets you take 'snapshots' of your SD card at any stage that can be restored back to the same SD card or any blank SD card with sufficient capacity. This is useful when you're getting used to Linux. Take a snapshot whenever you have a good working Raspberry Pi system and are contemplating making some major change to it - then if you mess up you can quickly revert back to where you were without starting from scratch each time.
    edited 2017-03-12 00:43
    Totally cool, my new computer has bin going for a couple hours, though I have been playing the PS3 with my wife, and watched the news.

That is so awesome, a full featured OS on SD, running on a computer a little bigger than a Bic lighter. Imagine how much Cracker Jack they could sell if they guarantee one, in every ten boxes.

You know if it wasn't for the bulky HDMI cable, it would be portable. It's things like a USB hub that take up space. A wireless USB mouse helped me communicate right from power up. I have a smart TV in mind for this little gizmo.
    1080 x 1920 - 707K
    MikeDYur,
    You know if it wasn't for the bulky HDMI cable, it would be portable.
    It's annoying isn't it? When the cables and connectors take up more space than the computer they connect to!

I have no worries there. All my Pi are "headless". No screen, mouse, keyboard required.

edited 2017-03-12 15:24
    Heater. wrote: »
    It's annoying isn't it? When the cables and connectors take up more space than the computer they connect to!

I have no worries there. All my Pi are "headless". No screen, mouse, keyboard required.

This beg's embedded. I seen a laptop kit for this, a 13 inch screen would be a decent size for this OS, But then you loose that small board in a big box. When you pick this thing up when connected, pick it up by the HDMI plug. The heaviest and strongest connection on the board.

Don M wrote: »
    Woo hoo! Mine arrived today!

Did you get it going? Any thoughts?

Feels like a major life changing moment has occurred. Well maybe that is an exaggeration, but it did bring back that amazement I had for electronics when I was young.

The anticipation was killing me.

EDIT: I may have to power cycle, I tried Mindcraft for Pi, dug myself a deep well. Now I can't get out without a keyboard.

What and how is software added to this system?
    MikeDYur,

Presumably you have installed Raspian. Raspbian has it's own package management system from which you can install 30,000 odd programs. It's call apt.

So if you know your program is available in a Raspian package repository it's just a case of :
    $ apt-get install gimp
    To install The GNU Image Manipulation Program. For example.

Then it's good to do:
    $ apt-get update
    $ apt-get upgrade

From time to time. At least to make sure you get security updates installed.

Packages that are not maintained in the Raspbian repositories can be installed by many and varied means. From fetching a .deb package from the developers site to building the thing from source code. Usually you can find instructions on project sites.

Perhaps it's time for you to sign up at https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums. We can chat there as well :)
    edited 2017-03-12 16:10
    Thanks for the info, basically it is the same as Linux, I can deal with that. As soon as I get Raspbian (spelled it right) installed, I'll join the forum. I do want to realize all of the possibility's.
  • Heater. wrote: »
    From time to time. At least to make sure you get security updates installed.

Packages that are not maintained in the Raspbian repositories can be installed by many and varied means.

I wondered if there was a need for security, like my laptop, it won't see the internet personally. And your download is from a trusted site. Do I need to bother? I have installed and un-installed a lot of packages in Linux, and I really like the .deb package manager. Though it almost had me un-install more broken dependency's than I needed to, a couple of times.
    If you are not connected to the net perhaps security is not such a big concern.

It's nice to have newer versions of software though. Sometimes things just don't work without it.
  • Heater. wrote: »
    It's nice to have newer versions of software though. Sometimes things just don't work without it.

It's still hard to believe all of this in such a small package. Lots of nice software installed, geared towards productivity, especially programming. Mine has been going twenty four hours now.
    Pi Zero W back in stock @ Adafruit. I ordered another today.
    edited 2017-03-24 15:55
    A quick question, does anyone have an idea why I can't add new software to the Pi Zero.
    Because of not finding a fast 8Gb card locally, I am stiil running NOOBS on a 32Gb card. Using Add/Remove Programs, I can go through all the steps of installing bundled packages, but they just don't install. No checked box, no shortcut, no conformation of installation. I was so hoping to see if I could program a Propeller with this. Do I need another package handler, though I can't see how to install that either.

EDIT: Also under Package Log, it says everything I tried to install is installed.
  • A screenshot of my no progress.
    2048 x 1152 - 687K
    edited 2017-03-24 20:56
    MikeDYur,

I have never been near NOOBS but as far as I know it is not an operating system. Rather it is a way to make it easy for Windows users to install the OS of their choice to a PI.

I will presume you elected to install Raspbian. The only sensible choice at it is based on Debian and has the best support.

Having used Linux operating systems since 1997 or so I have never used any graphical installation tool so I don't know what to expect there. If I want a program I find out what package it is in in, pull up a command line and install it:
    $ apt-get install whateverPackage

Sometimes the program name and the package name are the same. Not always.

Having installed the thing it may or may not show up in any icon or menu in you desktop environment. It all depends on how the package maintainer dealt with it.

For example, I expect if you pull up a command line and type "3dchess" it will run.

I think the confirmation of installation is right there where your GUI tool says "Installed".

Now, when it comes to tools for programming the Propeller from a Pi, you will not find them in any official package list from the command line or a GUI. Maybe one day.

Such things have to be installed as per the instructions from the provider of the programs, Parallax in this case.

• ceptimusceptimus Posts: 135
    edited 2017-03-24 21:00
    Run a terminal and type:

df -h

to display how much room Pi thinks is available on its file system.

You may need to reclaim the unused space on the SD card. From the terminal enter:

sudo raspi-config

one of the options in raspi-config is to reclaim any unused space on your SD card.
  • TorTor Posts: 2,010
    The first boot should run the reclaim operation automatically - it did on the Pi 3s I've set up so far. But df -h will show if it did.
  • Heater, ceptimus and Tor, Thank you very much for the replies. I will start using the terminal more, and do the things you have mentioned. As soon as I can reclaim use of the living room TV later this evening.
    I'm still not 100 percent set up with this, lacking a permanent SD card, Raspbian and a USB keyboard. Copy and pasting letters to make words to get around. Just testing the waters right now. I did find a hub, and now powering from it.
    2048 x 1152 - 239K
    That's the spirit. Don't fear the command line.

All that playing "Whac-A-Mole" with icons and buttons is great when it works. But no good when you want to get serious stuff done.

edited 2017-03-25 01:25
    I think I'm dead in the water tonight, until I get to the big city and get the things I need. Searching through the computer stuff for a PS2 to USB keyboard adapter is proving futile. And without a keyboard, I can't implement a CR for the terminal.

EDIT: I got what I need to wire something up tomorrow, don't have exclusive use of the tv anyway. I forgot my desktop computer has a USB keyboard, I may go to VGA and see if it will speed it up a little.
    2048 x 1152 - 889K
    edited 2017-03-25 18:00
    Well I'm in control now, overkill?
    This keyboard requires a half an amp.

The wife is going to temporary lend me the use of the TV, she was going to use to watch Lassie while she exercises. Just to have the recent build-up of electronic stuff removed from the living room. So I'm going to have to move to my room and try to find room.

EDIT: I think the best thing I could do with the pi zero is put inside a key keyboard, along with the board out of the hub case, old school. And it will be a little easier to carry around.

Mike
    2048 x 1152 - 811K
    2048 x 1152 - 563K