Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
$9 Computer includes OS — Parallax Forums

$9 Computer includes OS

We need this, ready to go right out of the pouch. Maybe in the P2.

Going to get one just for the heck of it.

Comments

• PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2017-02-28 16:22
    Yup. That was brought up almost two years ago. Not sure about the P2 inference?

http://forums.parallax.com/discussion/160980/9-chip-computer-the-next-raspi/p1
  • Publison wrote: »
    Yup. That was brought up almost two years ago. Not sure about the P2 inference?

http://forums.parallax.com/discussion/160980/9-chip-computer-the-next-raspi/p1

This guy got around to publishing a video a month ago.
  • I like this guy. Sounds like he learned to talk by watching old episodes of Monty Python. His halting style reminds me of one of the characters Michael Palin used to do.)
  • I remember this being brought up before, didn't know they were one in the same.
    600 x 398 - 425K
    128 x 128 - 70K
  • MikeDYurMikeDYur Posts: 2,176
    edited 2017-02-28 17:12
    Forum software didn't take the .gif the first time.

That time either.

EDIT: Maybe a competitive thing.

Moderators feel free to remove thread, if it's an old subject.
    128 x 128 - 70K
  • MikeDYur wrote: »
    Moderators feel free to remove thread, if it's an old subject.

No, it's prudent to remind people from time to time. Some of us are older. :)
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    MikeDYur,

Old news I'm afraid.

I have no idea of the merits of the CHIP but times have moved on.

I recently got an Omega2: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/onion/omega2-5-iot-computer-with-wi-fi-powered-by-linux/comments?cursor=15711276

Today I learn of the tiny Raspberry Pi Zero W with WIFI and Bluetooth for $10 : https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspberry-pi-zero-w-joins-family/

It's hard to keep up... It's all good stuff. Use what does what you want.
  • Heater. wrote: »
    Today I learn of the tiny Raspberry Pi Zero W with WIFI and Bluetooth for $10 :

Now if it only ran Windows.

Oh, wait a minute ... it does!!

Gordon,
    Now if it only ran Windows..
    Hmm...you are trying to wind me up. Right?

As far as I know no Pi runs any Windows as people know and love on their PC's.

I don't like to comment on economics much but it recent years I hear a lot of talk about how inequitable the world is. 1% of the people own 99% of the stuff. Or whatever the ratio is.

When I hear statements like "if it only ran Windows" I realize of course that inequality is inevitable. The poor people actively like to throw their money at the rich people. They go out of their way to do it.

I despair.

• The Pi is supposed to run Windows - I'm not sure if it does right now but Microsoft have promised it. My understanding is that it won't be the graphical desktop that most people think of when Windows is mentioned - it will just run Windows executables, presumably controlled by a terminal-like interface. So more DOS than Windows as far as most people are concerned.
    ceptimus,
    The Pi is supposed to run Windows,
    What do you mean by "supposed"? The Pi was certainly not designed with running any kind of Windows in mind.

As far as I can gather Windows on the Pi does actually have some graphical capabilities. No idea what exactly.

Also as far as I can tell the only way to build code for that Windows on the Pi is from a Windows 10 PC.

Then the ploy is that your IoT application on the Pi will integrate with IoT services on Microsoft's Azure cloud services.

Boom. Lock in.

All of which of course is the antithesis of the motivations that created the Pi in the first place!

Old news I'm afraid.

Happens every time I get a free pass, the show is over.

Somebody said Windows, that means money going out after the initial purchase. I'm still trying to figure out what I need one for. Is it the novelty of being able to run an OS on something that small, or some underlying real world use. I can do most of that on my phone, and I don't. It would see the drawer within a week.
    MikeDYur,

Not to worry, gadgets, technology and modern life run by so fast nobody can catch all of it.
    I'm still trying to figure out what I need one for. Is it the novelty of being able to run an OS on something that small, or some underlying real world use.
    If you have to ask then perhaps you don't need a Raspberry Pi or whatever like board. I mean, I don't understand why I need a vacuum cleaner in the house, but always there is one there to annoy me.

The Pi was conceived as a cheap toy that kids could play with and learn to program. Like they did back in the early 1980's with their Commodore C64 and such. It was to repair the fact that the Windows/iPhone generation coming to study Computer Science at University arrived with no experience and no idea how to program. Unlike the C64 generation.

After that it went crazy and 12 million Pi are out there being used for all kind of things.

For sure you cannot do on a phone what you can do with a Pi.

• I used 'supposed' in the same sense that one would say, "We're all supposed to own flying cars by now."

I remember reading on the official Pi website, maybe a year ago or more, that Microsoft had promised to make a free version of Windows available for the Pi, but once I read a little more about it, I decided it was not for me.

I own about ten Pi models - I have at least one of all the main models. I run Raspbian on all but one (a media server). I recently replaced one of my NAS servers with a Pi3. It works great and uses only about five watts - its predecessor was a low power fanless Intel Atom PC but still used about thirty watts so the Pi is saving me money! It runs 24/7.
  • jmgjmg Posts: 15,140
    Heater. wrote: »
    Today I learn of the tiny Raspberry Pi Zero W with WIFI and Bluetooth for $10 : https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspberry-pi-zero-w-joins-family/

Now that is impressive, and suggests the ideal form factor the the first P2 modules right there !

• jmgjmg Posts: 15,140
    ceptimus wrote: »
    The Pi is supposed to run Windows - I'm not sure if it does right now but Microsoft have promised it. My understanding is that it won't be the graphical desktop that most people think of when Windows is mentioned - it will just run Windows executables, presumably controlled by a terminal-like interface. So more DOS than Windows as far as most people are concerned.

There are x86 emulation engines that do allow you to boot Windows, however someone has also made an 8-bit AVR boot linux, by emulating ARM ...
    - ie 'can be done' is not the same as 'would you use it?'

Linux based x86 emulation seems more in the practical realm

Google ExaGear and QEMU for examples.

• kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    I thought the Windows for Pi was some specialized version for IOT or RT or something along that line.
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,066
    A new Pi unobtainium!
    At least for the published price without overpriced extras.
  • Well I must be really lucky then as I got both the PiZ and now the PiZW for the stated price. Granted I need to pay shipping fees, but that is needed for most.

And there is windows 10 available for the pi: https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/iot
  • Sheesh. Some people can't take a joke.

Rosco_pc hit it -- Microsoft offers Win10-IoT for Raspbeerry Pi. There's even a link to it from the Pi downloads page.
    Clusso,
    A new Pi unobtainium!
    Ha! Actually I'm thinking that supply of the new Pi Zero will be more voluminous. My reasoning goes like this:

They have added WIFI and Bluetooth which is perhaps a dollars worth of parts. They have doubled the price. That means there will be hugely higher returns on each sale. And that makes it economically reasonable to churn out as many as needed to satisfy demand.

Just my idle speculation though.
    Plenty of people are getting hold of Zero's without buying any superfluous junk.
  • TorTor Posts: 2,010
    edited 2017-03-01 08:38
    Wow, that's great news - I must buy a bunch of them. Currently I'm doing that with the Pi 3, because of the wifi. Need something done? Just plug it in somewhere and connect it to whatever (printer, or minicomp console), and access it over wifi. With that $10 version I can do it even cheaper and smaller (except if I need to plug in some full-size USB directly)
    (Unlike just about every other small cheap pi-like-but-not-pi board, the Pi works out of the box, no effort to get it running)

Clusso,
    A new Pi unobtainium!
    Ha! Actually I'm thinking that supply of the new Pi Zero will be more voluminous. My reasoning goes like this:

They have added WIFI and Bluetooth which is perhaps a dollars worth of parts. They have doubled the price. That means there will be hugely higher returns on each sale. And that makes it economically reasonable to churn out as many as needed to satisfy demand.

Just my idle speculation though.
    Plenty of people are getting hold of Zero's without buying any superfluous junk.
    I just ordered one from AdaFruit for $10. However, they only allow each customer to order one. You can't order multiple units.

edited 2017-03-01 14:48
    David Betz wrote: »
    I just ordered one from AdaFruit for $10. However, they only allow each customer to order one. You can't order multiple units.

They show "Out Of Stock".

https://www.adafruit.com/product/3400

Please note: Some boards are made in the UK, some in China. WE DO NOT KNOW IN ADVANCE WHICH ONES YOU MAY RECEIVE!

I know where I would like mine made.
  • MikeDYur wrote: »
    David Betz wrote: »

They show "Out Of Stock".

https://www.adafruit.com/product/3400

Please note: Some boards are made in the UK, some in China. WE DO NOT KNOW IN ADVANCE WHICH ONES YOU MAY RECEIVE!

When I ordered mine it said there were 45 in stock. I guess they went fast!

• LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
    edited 2017-03-01 15:54
    I ordered the £32 kit from Pimoroni here in the UK.

https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/pi-zero-w-starter-kit

Leon
    MikeDYur,
    Well there is the amazing thing. The Pi was first made in China. Why? Well because that is where you get stuff made cheaply.

Then a factory in the UK stepped up to the task (All be it Japanese owned Sony) and started churning out Pi. And matched the price.

This puts the lie to the oft' heard idea that companies cannot get stuff made at a competitive cost at home. Cough, Apple. They are just not trying.

So how come nobody in the USA has stepped up to the plate to full fill the demand in America for all things "Made in the good ol' USA" ?

Me, I don't much care where my Pi comes from. I'm pretty sure the quality control in place everywhere is quite OK.

edited 2017-03-01 17:13
    Me, I don't much care where my Pi comes from. I'm pretty sure the quality control in place everywhere is quite OK.

In the 60s and 70s I, like a lot of other people got tired of seeing that little gold oval sticker (Made in Japan) on the bottom of every trinket for sale. Quality isn't that much of an issue, China makes some quality products. On the other hand, they are capable (like any country) of producing some real junk.
    I wonder what the Chinese microcontroller hobbyists have in their box of tricks. Do they purchase foreign designed products from overseas supplier's. Or do they skim off the production runs before shipment. Or copy a design, and make their own product for their market.

It really isn't about quality, it's about quantity.
  • TorTor Posts: 2,010
    Except for the very early years, "Made in Japan" meant quality, so I had no issues with that really.
    All the best stuff is made in Japan.

Or so it was.

In my experience, back to the early 1970's anyway, Japanese products have worked as advertised for many years, decades. Cheap transistor radios, stereo systems, TV's, micro-processors.

More than can be said for almost anything you could buy in recent years no matter where it's made.