Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Chip Gracey's Absence from Forums - Page 7 — Parallax Forums

Chip Gracey's Absence from Forums

Comments

• doggiedoc wrote: »
    Chip,

Glad to hear you are recovering. Will keep you in my prayers.

Paul

Paul,

Good to see you are still in the loop. I was about to send an email to you tonight to
    see how you are doing.

• Thanks Jim - I've been just kinda lurking for a while - trying to keep my Parallax mojo alive until I get the time to get it going again. Don't usually comment anymore but wanted to send Chip some well wishes.

Paul
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,254
    Publison wrote: »
    Good to see you are still in the loop. I was about to send an email to you tonight to see how you are doing.

Likewise, doggiedoc, you have been missed! We Carolina (originally) boys gotta stick together.

It's nice to see some long-timers checking in, almost like a Christmas reunion. Hopefully we can all keep the ball rolling without any more health crises looming. Everyone enjoy your Christmas holiday and meals, then go out for a nice long walk to get some exercise.

• cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,133
    doggiedoc wrote: »
    Chip,

Glad to hear you are recovering. Will keep you in my prayers.

Paul

Thanks, Paul.

My body is getting better everyday, but I think my mind is just starting to register the gravity of it all. It's kind of a delayed boomerang effect.
    Chip,

My first experience with a kidney stone was back in the early '80s.
    -Phil

I started having problems with kidney stones after having my esophagus and a third of my stomach removed in 2006 (due to acid reflux and Barrett's Esophagus).
    I think that caused my body to absorb food differently.

I've had 14 kidney stone operations since. A few months ago they found a one inch stone and had to poke a hole and insert a tube thru my back into my kidney to get to it - a Percutaneous nephrolithotomy (PCNL). They had to go back for a second try and finally a laser lithotripsy to get the last of it.
    I guess 3rd time was charm. Over all, 4 surgical procedures 3 nights in the hospital and 1 ER visit.

Along with a Laser Litholapaxy to remove a bladder stone and urinary tract infection (2 months of antibiotics) it has been a less than enjoyable year. Hoping 2017 is less eventful!

- Ron

You poor guy! That's gotta be tough on you.
  • Some new findings, this can stress you out.

Why Heart Attacks Are Striking Healthy Young Women

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/why-heart-attacks-are-striking-healthy-young-women-n698456
  • MikeDYur wrote: »
    This is the info I got from my daughter this morning, apparently the info she got from some family member who was in Cleveland was a little wrong. I have never heard of a "quintuple bypass" either.
    Bob ended up having quintuple bypass. I didn't even know that was a thing! The drs keep telling him how lucky he was to have had the heart attack when he did.

I had my quint in 1999 after a "silent heart attack" sometime in the past. I have damage to the left ventricle and a weak ejection fraction (25% before the bypasses, 35% after.) My story here: forums.parallax.com/discussion/comment/1394262/#Comment_1394262

Tom

• Ron CzapalaRon Czapala Posts: 2,418
    edited 2016-12-21 02:37
    cgracey wrote: »
    Chip,

My first experience with a kidney stone was back in the early '80s.
    -Phil

I started having problems with kidney stones after having my esophagus and a third of my stomach removed in 2006 (due to acid reflux and Barrett's Esophagus).
    I think that caused my body to absorb food differently.

I've had 14 kidney stone operations since. A few months ago they found a one inch stone and had to poke a hole and insert a tube thru my back into my kidney to get to it - a Percutaneous nephrolithotomy (PCNL). They had to go back for a second try and finally a laser lithotripsy to get the last of it.
    I guess 3rd time was charm. Over all, 4 surgical procedures 3 nights in the hospital and 1 ER visit.

Along with a Laser Litholapaxy to remove a bladder stone and urinary tract infection (2 months of antibiotics) it has been a less than enjoyable year. Hoping 2017 is less eventful!

- Ron

You poor guy! That's gotta be tough on you.

Chip,
    My doctors are trying figure out if dietary changes might resolve some of my problems with calcium oxolate stones.
    I've quit drinking coffee and tea, trying to lower salt intake, avoid chocolate and nuts (those are tough!).
    There is a lot of conflicting information about oxolate content and what to avoid...

I'm glad you are doing better and hope you recover fully!

• Don MDon M Posts: 1,647
    She doesn't want me to spend $600 on a machine. I want to get it, though, because I'd like to close the loop on my own situation and get her and the kids' readings. We could really tune things up if we could see what was going on.

Chip,

Was curious what machine you were looking at.

• cgracey wrote: »

My body is getting better everyday, but I think my mind is just starting to register the gravity of it all. It's kind of a delayed boomerang effect.

Ditto that. I went through the "gravity of it all" during the cancer treatment.

Glad to hear you're doing well and on the mend.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year,

DJ
    Don M wrote: »
    She doesn't want me to spend $600 on a machine. I want to get it, though, because I'd like to close the loop on my own situation and get her and the kids' readings. We could really tune things up if we could see what was going on.

Chip,

Was curious what machine you were looking at.

This one:

http://sentinelmedicalsales.com/index.html

Here's the funny thing: Last night we got together with my wife's brothers (she's got five brothers and no sisters) and what did her oldest brother give each sibling? A blood glucose meter with an initial 10 lancets! He's developed diabetes and it runs in the family. My wife was just saying I was cuckoo for wanting to check everyone's blood for cholesterol earlier in the day. I suspect our too-fatty/sugary/salty diets cause a myriad of problems that could be centrally addressed through better nutrition. People don't want to change their food, though.
  • MikeDYur wrote: »
    Some new findings, this can stress you out.

Why Heart Attacks Are Striking Healthy Young Women

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/why-heart-attacks-are-striking-healthy-young-women-n698456

Gads! Hope I don't have a SCAD on some remote mountaintop. Of course I'm not a healthy young woman. Maybe that will save me. :)

• One of the most important purchases I ever made was the blood glucose meter I bought in 2006. You have to check how you react to the foods you commonly eat as well as fasting levels; my fasting levels were high-nominal but I was spiking dramatically after eating something like a bowl of pasta or a potato. After I started eating to the meter to stop that it was amazing how much my health improved with no other effort.

Oh, and I suppose the blood pressure meter I bought at the same time has now saved my life too, since without it I wouldn't have known about the sudden elevation that ended up with the stent in my 85% blocked LAD.

Lab work I had around the stent episode suggests my cholesterol is pretty good, although doc put me on the lowest 10mg dose of Lipitor just to be thorough. That's probably because of the low carb diet forced on me by the blood glucose meter LOL.

As with a multimeter in electronics there is no substitute for a meter that can show your otherwise invisible vital signs; they can warn you of dangerous situations long before they become chronic enough to risk your ongoing health or your life, and by giving frequent results they can show you how you are reacting to things like diet and exercise. I would totally own a cholesterol meter today if my blood work had been at all marginal.
  • User Name wrote: »
    Gads! Hope I don't have a SCAD on some remote mountaintop. Of course I'm not a healthy young woman. Maybe that will save me. :)

They said it's happening to healthy young men, less much less often. Does it seem like the whole category of heart problems in general is on the rise?

Bob, Is having trouble expanding his lungs, extreme pain, I guess so.

I'm supposed to be taking a low dose blood pressure med, haven't taken one, soon after seeing the doctor about a year ago. Starting to think maybe another check-up is do.
  • localroger,
    By using your meter you have confirmed that your body type is sensitive to carbs.
    A very low or no-carb / sugar diet may make you feel even more healthy and reduce your weight considerably.
    If you have the time, watch Dr Tim Noakes. I find that he describes it very well in scientific and historical terms;
  • mparkmpark Posts: 1,305
    Chip,
    Sorry to learn of your health crisis! I'm glad that your recovery is going so well. Season's greetings and best wishes for a healthier 2017 and beyond!

m

mpark wrote: »
    Chip,
    Sorry to learn of your health crisis! I'm glad that your recovery is going so well. Season's greetings and best wishes for a healthier 2017 and beyond!

m

Thanks, Mpark. I'm doing better every day now.

Merry Christmas to you and everyone else on the forums!

• Ron CzapalaRon Czapala Posts: 2,418
    edited 2016-12-24 16:58
    Merry Christmas to you and everyone else on the forums!

Merry Christmas to all!

You might enjoy this...

Full screen HD link: youtube.com/embed/khQN5ylb3H0?rel=0

• @Ron
    Great video! :)
  • +1
    I liked it, too.
  • Why is it that every time I visit this topic a small file named something like "Pmin4OaQGko&rel=0" gets downloaded onto my computer? Does someone have something in a signature that would do that. I've noticed this in several topics but I can't track down which user is causing it. The file seems to contain binary data and isn't very large. Is there some sort of virus here?
  • Check me out, I hope it isn't me.
  • David Betz wrote: »
    Why is it that every time I visit this topic a small file named something like "Pmin4OaQGko&rel=0" gets downloaded onto my computer? Does someone have something in a signature that would do that. I've noticed this in several topics but I can't track down which user is causing it. The file seems to contain binary data and isn't very large. Is there some sort of virus here?
    I just used the "file" command under Mac OS X to determine the file type and this is what I got:
    Pmin4OaQGko&rel=0-2: Macromedia Flash data (compressed), version 17

So I guess this happens when someone has flash content in a message or signature. Should that be banned?
  • Don MDon M Posts: 1,647
    David Betz wrote: »
    Why is it that every time I visit this topic a small file named something like "Pmin4OaQGko&rel=0" gets downloaded onto my computer? Does someone have something in a signature that would do that. I've noticed this in several topics but I can't track down which user is causing it. The file seems to contain binary data and isn't very large. Is there some sort of virus here?

It happens when ever there is a an embedded video or YouTube video.
  • Re: USAF Band WWII Holiday Flashback

And more musicians just keep showing up!
  • David BetzDavid Betz Posts: 14,511
    edited 2016-12-25 05:18
    Don M wrote: »
    David Betz wrote: »

It happens when ever there is a an embedded video or YouTube video.
    I don't remember this happening before. Is there a new bug that has crept into the forum software? I see most embedded YouTube videos okay? Maybe people are posting Flash videos?

Edit: Never mind. It's some Apple nonsense. I had to change my Safari settings to allow Flash to be used on the Parallax forums. Now the downloads don't happen anymore and the Flash videos appear embedded in the message. Sorry for the distraction!

• TorTor Posts: 2,010
    David,

That happens with Chrome/Chromium on my PC as well, and it's very annoying. Videos are shown, so there's no setting that I can or will change. But I regularly have to clean out a load of those files from my Download directory. It only happens on this forum, so I consider it a forum bug.

I wish Chip good recovery, and go easy on the season's food.. that goes for all of us! :)
    edited 2017-01-21 22:05
    I got that blood analyzer, after all, for a good deal of $399. I had to order some one-time use cartridges that your blood goes into, along with lancets, pipettes, and plungers.

Today I poked my finger and ran a test using a lipids profile cartridge.

My cholesterol is way down now, below the machine's detection sensitivity. When I went into the hospital the doctor told me it was 3x normal!

Here are the test results from today:

TC, total cholesterol < 100 mg/dL
    HDL, high-density lipids = 30 mg/dL
    TRG, triglycerides = 115 mg/dL
    LDL, low-density lipids = "n/a", since total cholesterol was below detection limits

If I could have gotten on this plant-based diet 4 months ago, I probably could have backed out of the trouble I was floating into.

I feel really good now and, unbelievably to me, I don't eat any sugar, fats, meat, or dairy.

I just noticed that in the right side of the photo, there's a delinquency notice over some "Statement of Information", which I've mailed to them a few times, already. Incomprehensible gov't paperwork. I thought that might need some explanation.
    941 x 530 - 125K
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2017-01-21 22:07
    cgracey wrote:
    I feel really good now and, unbelievably to me, I don't eat any sugar, fats, meat, or dairy.
    'Glad to hear you're feeling better, Chip! One question, though: given your restricted diet, is mealtime something you still look forward to? IOW are there dishes meeting those specs that you really like?

-Phil