Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Chip Gracey's Absence from Forums — Parallax Forums

Chip Gracey's Absence from Forums

Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
edited 2016-12-05 03:46 in General Discussion
Hey there,

Normally I would not discuss this on the forums, but because there are many people here who are either friends of Chip or Propeller 2 design contributors I should let you know about his whereabouts because you'll be asking sooner or later - and I know Chip will tell you anyway. Therefore, I decided to let you know about his situation.

About two weeks ago Chip began feeling quite weak and was unable to exert himself very much. Leading up to this was a long-running (months or years of) all-night Propeller 2 sessions, minimal exercise and some minor weight gain. After a visit to a local hospital for a quick look and a relocation to a larger hospital with a proper cardio facility, it was determined that he had a heart attack and some clogged arteries. On Friday, Chip had a four-way bypass surgery to rebuild his circulation. The surgery was successful and he had the opportunity to test out some expensive medical machines while having his insurance card exercised like nobody could imagine. Though he's in pain and shows restlessness, he has a good spirit and each day is showing improvement.

If you want to send him your wishes, prayers or even jokes, feel free to do so via e-mail cgracey@parallax.com or by a reply on this thread. If you have his cell number, no calls please (the nurses took it away anyway). Please tell him *not* to reply to your message so he can focus on his health. I'm sure he will return here fairly soon, perhaps far too early.

Thanks,

Ken Gracey
Parallax Inc.

Comments

• No reply necessary.

Chip,
    I am very sorry to hear about your health problem. I wish you a speedy recovery and that the docs get your Cogs firing in sync again; you'll no doubt feel like a new person afterward. It's been impressive to see 2 local dudes do good with Parallax, no doubt due to your hard work and dedication, and I look forward to seeing where Prop2 goes.

Take care,

Jon
  • Hi @Ken,

sad to hear that, but good to have it solved.

I had to 'exercise my insurance card' also, not heart related, just some seven bites of a very nasty cent sized spider recently migrating into northern California.

Some of them invoices take month to hit you and are quite astonishing to read.

The best thing @Chip can do now is to REALLY relax. I lost about 30-50 pounds in 6 weeks due to needed antibiotics and the resulting loss of appetite after the 4 needed operations.

I do not like product placement, but get a couple of cases of some stuff called 'Ensure'.

In my case it helped me back to gain strength very well, I can and do personally recommend it.

Try to keep him away from work. Provide him with good books to read while sitting in front of the fireplace burning Walnut trees.

It's end of the year anyways and 4 weeks of doing nothing will not really change much on the p2 timeline.

Most important is that he gives his body the time and environment to recover.

Resting is very needed in situations like that.

best wishes,

Mike
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    Oh Chip, so sorry to hear that. Here's wishing you a speedy recovery.
  • Keep up the good work rest, Chip. I'm so glad that you got to the hospital upon experiencing weakness. You did good! You're in our hearts and prayers. And in these difficult times for you and your family, you will continue to be an inspiration to us.
  • pjvpjv Posts: 1,903
    Chip,

My most sincere wishes for a speedy recovery, and strength to all your family for dealing with this sudden trauma.

Peter, (pjv)
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2016-12-05 06:26
    Sorry to hear about Chip's illness and glad to hear he's been able to start on a journey to healing. Often there are important lessons to be learned along this sort of journey. May Chip's recovery go smoothly and I hope his family is doing well despite these stresses. Thanks Ken for sharing.
  • Wow,
    I hope you have a speedy recovery, Chip, and take it easy. No more all nighters.
  • @Chip
    A message from Prop2.
    chip		rep	@:health,#0
    		cmp	food,#bad wc,wc
    	if_e	sub	diet,food
    		mul	exercise,more
    		add	hours,family_time
    		sub	hours,long_nights
    		wrlong	fun,memories
    :health

Get well soon Chip!

@Ken
    Thank you for keeping the propeller family informed.
  • evanhevanh Posts: 15,198
    Yes, very quick there Ken.

Hehe, rep #0 I presume is forever.

Definitely get well Chip! Take all the time needed.

In hindsight, I have to say I'm even more blown away by how much new material Chip was ploughing through. I was left in the dust a while back.
  • Hi Chip.

I really thought you'd blow your cerebral cortex before you blew one of your ventricles. Don't 'get well soon', take your time and remember that, "few things matter, and nothing matters much."

Sandy
  • Our prayer are with you and your family! Rest well and concentrate on what really matters.
  • ke4pjwke4pjw Posts: 1,082
    edited 2016-12-05 14:21
    Chip, get well soon! I am sending prayers and wishes to you and your family for a full and quick recovery.

Very best regards,

--Terry Trapp
  • @Ken: Thanks for the update!

@Chip: Get well! Well wishes and prayers going out to you and your family.

• Hi Chip, Very happy to hear everything went well, sorry to hear how you got there.
    The only thread I kept up with on the P2 forum is about analog test chip, only because I don't understand most of it. Reading posts through Thanksgiving Day I thought to myself, He as in you are going to work all day. but then I thought that is what a genius does. I personally can wait on the P2, I don't have the capability to use the P1 to it's full potential. This possible game changing invention will not be the same without your hand involved in it's completion. Push yourself away from the bench at regular intervals, and take more time out with the family. Stop and smell the posies, before the posies are for you, but you can't smell them anymore.
    Take your time getting back to work, and don't let schedules and work related commitments get to you. In the whole scheme of things, it isn't worth affecting your health in a bad way. As far as i'm concerned the P2 can wait, don't think I would use it if it had a bad memory attached to it.
    Get back to full power soon, take them breaks, and please don't let the development of something great consume you.

Sincerely,
    Mike Y.
  • Chip, I'm sorry to hear about things but glad you're in good hands and have a great family to support you. Take the time you need to get back to 100%.
  • @Chip get plenty of rest. Prayers for a quick recovery
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,254
    So sorry to hear that! Chip, I'm relieved to hear that you are over the hump and on the mend. Please take time for PROP-er recovery so your doctor's don't SPIN out. But seriously, your health comes before all else. Thoughts and prayers for you and your immediate and Parallax family. God bless!
  • rjo__rjo__ Posts: 2,114
    Chip,

We only have two coronary arteries. I think you are being double billed!!!

Best wishes.

• Best wishes for a speedy recovery, Chip!

You can dooo eeeet!
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,254
    Roy Eltham wrote: »
    Wow,
    I hope you have a speedy recovery, Chip, and take it easy. No more all nighters.

Amen, Brother Eltham! So glad to hear Chip is improving steadily.

Regarding all-nighters, kinda makes me worried about Santa now. He has an all nighter coming up. That's a whole lotta of chimney climbing for a guy who's not exactly a spring chicken anymore. I hope he brings Chip something extra extra nice.

God bless us every one.

• Thanks for the heads-up, Ken.

Chip, I hope your recovery continues apace and that you can return home soon to familiar surrounds. Stay out of your shop for awhile and enjoy your family over the holidays and beyond. That's the important stuff.

Oh, and eat more walnuts! They're high in Omega 3's.

Cheers!
    -Phil
  • @Chip: my best wishes for you and your family. Rest, relax and recover.

• My english is not good but I want to send you my wishes for a good recovery.

Take the time needed to recover , nothing is more important than your health.

I think you have a good medical environnement to follow you after that . Post surgery care is half of the therapy.

Cats92

Paris, France
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    Chip has a big heart, he has to pay double :)

No, seriously, I was honored to be invited for a weekend on the walnut farm. I can see that Chip lives life at full throttle all the time. Some how he has time for his wonderful family, for Parallax, for the P2, for friends, for neighbors, for the walnut farm, for all kind of other amazing projects he has going... Oh, and even me for some reason.

It was non-stop action. I was exhausted at the end of it all. But hey, that was one of the most amazing weekends, with the most interesting and wonderful people, I have had for decades!

Here's to a speedy recovery Chip.
  • As human beings, we do need to relax, breath deeply, enjoy life, family, friendship. Chip, count me into the chorus of your friends, pulling for you.

My son, a musician, lost two acquaintances in the Oakland warehouse fire this past weekend, a couple of others escaped. Sobering. You never know.

• I am very sorry to hear this. It's very rough on everyone around him.

As one who has suffered a heart attack (ventricular tachycardia) from a medical procedure. So I have a idea what Chip went through. All I can say is take it easy and pace yourself. Remember this is your ticker and you only got one of them. I was up and walking around a few days after mine, but it took several months before I could go back to my old routine, even then I had to watch it.

And watch the stress, it's a killer. It can sneak up on a person real fast.
  • My heartfelt best wishes to Chip and his speedy recovery. Knowing how hard he's worked these several years, it's not surprising, but that doesn't make it okay!

Ken, thanks for letting us know. I'm grateful Chip has a loving brother and family that supports him.
  • Chip Gracey is a rare genius. I have really admired what he has done but Chip the father, husband, son and brother is more valuable than anything he could ever do.
    I'm just an unknown member in an online forum but I am rooting for Chip too.
  • ColeyColey Posts: 1,108
    Get well soon Chip and please take it easy, our thoughts and best wishes are with you!
  • Bill HenningBill Henning Posts: 6,445
    edited 2016-12-05 20:40
    Chip,

I am very sorry to hear about your coronary issues... but extremely glad that they are taken care off and you are recovering!

PLEASE forget about doing anything other then getting better, the P2 can wait!

Best Wishes,

Bill