Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Chip Gracey's Absence from Forums - Page 6 — Parallax Forums

Chip Gracey's Absence from Forums

Comments

• Never thought about doing this on the PC but after a glass or two of a good red I find the screen is just rosy.
    What kind of "good red" do you get down under? We get a lot of Aussie wines here, and they're quite well priced on the whole. But Yellow Tail has never really rocked my boat. Enquiring American minds want to know! ® :)

-Phil

Yellow Tail???? haha, we make jokes about those "popular" reds :)

I like cab savs and blends, shiraz, merlots, etc. Perhaps just a common one off the top of my head that I wouldn't hesitate buying might be a Pepperjack cab sav although my sister turns her nose up at even that. Penfolds make some nice reds for sure except I feel that they are way overpriced so I usually won't buy them though I don't mind drinking them (bin 389, St. Henri, Grange etc). We have various regions such as the Hunter Valley, Barossa Valley (and surrounds), Margaret river etc etc and I'm usually quite partial to mostly anything from the Margaret river region although they are only a small percentage of what I actually drink. Just popped a 2003 Galafrey Shiraz the other day and it I regret that I hadn't opened this 3 years ago or earlier as it hadn't been stored too well. However I will take some notes with the the next few reds I drink and tell you what I think although wine appreciation varies with what our palette is like on that day and what we have with it.

• ercoerco Posts: 20,254
    Aussie reds, hahaha.

I was Skyping with Moose Toys (Melbourne) and just for fun I cracked open a giant can of Foster's (Australian for beer, mate). Both guys I was chatting with said they couldn't stand it. :)

We've been duped! What's the next big US marketing scam to be revealed? Do Brits not actually like Earl Grey?
  • Peter JakackiPeter Jakacki Posts: 10,193
    edited 2016-12-15 02:59
    erco wrote: »
    Aussie reds, hahaha.

I was Skyping with Moose Toys (Melbourne) and just for fun I cracked open a giant can of Foster's (Australian for beer, mate). Both guys I was chatting with said they couldn't stand it. :)

We've been duped! What's the next big US marketing scam to be revealed? Do Brits not actually like Earl Grey?

Marketing is what it is, the ones that are any good don't need marketing, they speak for themselves. Fosters??? are you mad!? Only Victorians drink that stuff, or so we are led to believe. I have never seen anybody this side of the border drink that stuff (we have other words we would use). Give me a fat yak with my steak, that's something even you guys would like.

• Erco - News Flash: Outback Steakhouse isn't "authentically Australian" either.

:)
  • evanhevanh Posts: 15,198
    Hehe, complete foreigners from across the river ...
  • evanhevanh Posts: 15,198
    Aliens, I tell you!
  • Fosters??? are you mad!? Only Victorians drink that stuff, or so we are led to believe. I have never seen anybody this side of the border drink that stuff (we have other words we would use). Give me a fat yak with my steak, that's something even you guys would like.
    The last time I recall seeing a Victorian with a Foster's was 20+ years ago!
    WE (Victotians) don't drink it here either.
    I'm with you Peter, Fat Yak is preferred here. :)

A few years back I spent a bit of time in Canada.
    Before I made the trip I thought I would buy some Canadian beer (Moosehead) to acclimate myself to it.
    While in Canada the local liquor store attendant laughed and said "I've never heard of it!!" and then attempted to sell me Foster's instead!
    Arrgh... :lol:
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    erco,
    We've been duped! What's the next big US marketing scam to be revealed?
    I thought is was common knowledge for decades now that Fosters is a scam.
    Do Brits not actually like Earl Grey?
    Not me. I have never known anyone that was very much. It's OK sometimes.

My tea of choice is PG Tips Originial http://www.pgtips.co.uk/ or Typhoo https://www.typhooteashop.com/our-best-sellers/typhoo-tea

Good old fashioned working man's black tea.

With a dash of full fat Gold Top milk. http://www.grahamsfamilydairy.com/our-products/gold-range/gold-top

• Heater. wrote: »
    I thought is was common knowledge for decades now that Fosters is a scam.
    Truly I don't know a thing about the beer inside, but the giant Fosters can made an excellent condenser in a Soxhlet apparatus I threw together once.

• I used to have a can of Foster's for lunch, back in the tenth grade. There was a carry out just three blocks from the high school. I looked old enough or they were just lax in IDing customers. I took more potty breaks in the afternoon, and thats why my math skills are kind of soggy. ;)
  • Hi Chip,

I've been lurking on the forums for awhile, but I wanted to create an account to tell you that you're in my thoughts and prayers and I hope you get better soon. From reading all these comments I'm not sure if I'm more afraid of a heart attack or a kidney stone now. Either way my resolution for 2017 will be to get more exercise and drink cranberry juice regularly. Get plenty of rest and have a merry Christmas!

Jon
  • cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,133
    edited 2016-12-19 22:32
    Hi Chip,

I've been lurking on the forums for awhile, but I wanted to create an account to tell you that you're in my thoughts and prayers and I hope you get better soon. From reading all these comments I'm not sure if I'm more afraid of a heart attack or a kidney stone now. Either way my resolution for 2017 will be to get more exercise and drink cranberry juice regularly. Get plenty of rest and have a merry Christmas!

Jon

Thanks, Jon!

I've read this book that was recommended by the surgeon's assistant, and I've been following the diet presented in it:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1583333002/ref=cm_cr_arp_mb_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8

If anyone reads the reviews, they'll get an idea of what it's about. I've been eating as the author recommends for over a week now. I feel really good, eat until I'm full, and my body is losing about a pound a day. I've been up 50 pounds, since I was married 13 years ago. Some people I talk to say a pure plant-based diet is ultimately insufficient, but I'll cross that bridge if I get to it. For now, this feels right.

The over-arching reality is that the Western diet is not a healthy one and it's slowly destroying most of us. A simpler diet of elemental plant ingredients is a welcome change for me. It's simplified my life. I'm not thinking about food like I used to (half the time). I remember reading that men think about food 30 times a day. Now, there's not much to think about. It's like I left a big rock behind and I'm a lot freer. I like to cook, anyway, and it's easy to cook these dishes. If any of you guys were here, I'd feed you my new food. I could take your blood pressure, too, and I was almost able to measure your cholesterol, but my wife put the kabash on that, for now. She doesn't want me to spend $600 on a machine. I want to get it, though, because I'd like to close the loop on my own situation and get her and the kids' readings. We could really tune things up if we could see what was going on.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,254
    Maybe I'll go drink a Foster's, program an Arduino, then go out and pay full retail for something.

Three strikes, I'm out!

JK, nothing could drive me to pay full retail.

Maybe I'll go drink a Foster's, program an Arduino, then go out and pay full retail for something.

Three strikes, I'm out!

JK, nothing could drive me to pay full retail.

If you're alluding to that blood analyzer for $600, its normal retail price is $1600.
  • Chip
    Nice to hear you are making good progress with your recovery. :) :cool:

A few months ago I added a new piece of "test" equipment to my shop.
    I have found it invaluable in assisting in resolving code issues.
    I simply stand up from my computer(s), take 3 steps and climb aboard.
    A 15 minute pedalling session is enough to exercise the legs, lungs and heart and in
    a lot of cases trigger a "I know what the problem is" moment.
    A win all round.
    Most days I use it more than once. :)

Here's a view from the "debuuger machine"
    1056 x 592 - 230K
  • MikeDYurMikeDYur Posts: 2,176
    edited 2016-12-20 00:44
    ozpropdev wrote: »
    A 15 minute pedalling session is enough to exercise the legs, lungs and heart and in
    a lot of cases trigger a "I know what the problem is" moment.

Add a generator to that exercise bike, I keep telling my wife, that energy could be used to power something.
    If you would use that energy to power your monitor, you couldn't help but win.

EDIT: It will certainly make you ready for bed at a decent hour.
    edited 2016-12-20 01:51
    My son in-law's stepfather just got out of a near twelve hour open heart surgery. A quadruple bypass was needed, and one section was over 95 percent blocked. The rest were not that much better. In ICU recovery, no word yet.

EDIT: Two surgical teams were involved in his operation at University Hospital Cleveland. That 12 hours on the table alone, has to be tough on the patient.
    MikeDYur wrote: »
    My son in-law's stepfather just got out of a near twelve hour open heart surgery. A quadruple bypass was needed, and one section was over 95 percent blocked. The rest were not that much better. In ICU recovery, no word yet.

EDIT: Two surgical teams were involved in his operation at University Hospital Cleveland. That 12 hours on the table alone, has to be tough on the patient.

I imagine that's got to be tough on everyone, including the doctors. The demands on those guys are extreme. I wonder if the teams switched out at six hours. The patient's lungs were likely collapsed for the duration of the heart work. Sounds brutal. It's good to avoid all this, if you can.
  • The_MasterThe_Master Posts: 199
    edited 2016-12-20 06:25
    I hope I don't make anyone mad by saying something controversial. This is just something I came across in Time magazine while sitting in a barber shop a couple years ago.

Apparently the saturated fat from dairy is different from the saturated fat from meat. Surprisingly, even though they both come from the same animal, they're different. Meat effects hard LDL and dairy only effects 'fluffy' LDL. So you can eat all the dairy you want, and despite any apparent increases in LDL, you are just as well off as a vegan. (maybe even better off)

I sure hope it's true, because I'm betting all my health on that one blurb I read for five minutes in a barbershop years ago. I increased my pizza intake, but now skip the pepp.
  • GordonMcCombGordonMcComb Posts: 3,366
    edited 2016-12-20 07:06

Some guys go through life blessed. You forget I've eaten with you. Somehow you can toss down a fully-loaded Five Guys cheeseburger and french fries, and not have an ounce of fat on your entire body. I'm still working off that slice of cheese I only *looked at*! (Okay, okay, I know you ride about 750 miles a week on your bike.)

Chip, there isn't a restrictive diet that doesn't have its downsides (I've been on some truly dangerous ones, it's turned out), but fortunately the issues with a purely vegetarian diet are well known, and avoidable. Advise them you're on a non-soy vegan/vegetarian diet, and they can look for the usual markers whenever you get your blood work done. Your work is a little harder in that soybeans are a common alternative source for some of the amino acids the human body needs, but I assume the book provides details on how to substitute.
  • ErNaErNa Posts: 1,742
    the metabolism evolved from a situation of lack. Everything available had to be analysed to determine usable energy content and so it turned out, that fat is the most efficient natural storage of energy. Fat can be converted to and from with high efficiency. But it was not forseen to have a metabolism that can manage surplus. So concurrently the brain developed methods to have food always available and on the other hand methods were developed to limit consumption: fasting is the prefered. The fall back solution is: let the rich collect the resources and keep the rest in bad condition. So the survive of mankind is guaranteed.
  • edited 2016-12-20 09:58
    cgracey wrote: »
    She doesn't want me to spend $600 on a machine. I want to get it, though, because I'd like to close the loop on my own situation and get her and the kids' readings. We could really tune things up if we could see what was going on.

I think she's probably okay with the machine but the "get her and the kids' readings" bit might be the concern haha.

Sandy

• ErNa wrote: »
    The fall back solution is: let the rich collect the resources and keep the rest in bad condition. So the survive of mankind is guaranteed.

So wealth and its surplus becomes a form of natural selection?

• ErNaErNa Posts: 1,742
    persuit of happiness swims in a lake of unhappiness
    edited 2016-12-20 13:34
    This is the info I got from my daughter this morning, apparently the info she got from some family member who was in Cleveland was a little wrong. I have never heard of a "quintuple bypass" either.
    Bob ended up having quintuple bypass. I didn't even know that was a thing! The drs keep telling him how lucky he was to have had the heart attack when he did.

He was actually in surgery for around 10 hrs. No idea how many teams. I can't possibly imagine being in surgery for 10 hours!!!

I know he was released to icu sometime after midnight.

Last I heard he still has the breathing tube in. He seems to be breathing on his own, but he's so out of it that they couldn't take the tube out.

It's scary stuff.
  • I've seen quintuple bypasses with valve replacements at the same time. For sure, a major tune-up! If you have any questions Mike, just let me know.

And on a side note, I thought it was funny that some folks were talking about comfy chairs. The ironic thing being that sitting too much in a comfy chair can sometimes be a precursor to these very issues ;)

~Addie
  • Tymkrs wrote: »
    I've seen quintuple bypasses with valve replacements at the same time. For sure, a major tune-up! If you have any questions Mike, just let me know.

And on a side note, I thought it was funny that some folks were talking about comfy chairs. The ironic thing being that sitting too much in a comfy chair can sometimes be a precursor to these very issues ;)

~Addie

Thanks Addie, I really dont know the man personally. I had met him one time about fifteen years ago. If my daughter has any questions, I will relay them to you.

Just so happens my wife picked up a 2017 calendar this morning, and it just happens to be from the American Heart Association. Thought this was some good information to pass along.
    cgracey wrote: »
    She doesn't want me to spend $600 on a machine. I want to get it, though, because I'd like to close the loop on my own situation and get her and the kids' readings. We could really tune things up if we could see what was going on.

I think she's probably okay with the machine but the "get her and the kids' readings" bit might be the concern haha.

Sandy

BINGO! That's a huge issue.

The prospect of dietary change is about as appealing as death. A brush with mortality can get a person over that pretty quickly, though.
  • Ron CzapalaRon Czapala Posts: 2,418
    edited 2016-12-20 21:00
    Chip,

My first experience with a kidney stone was back in the early '80s.
    -Phil

I started having problems with kidney stones after having my esophagus and a third of my stomach removed in 2006 (due to acid reflux and Barrett's Esophagus).
    I think that caused my body to absorb food differently.

I've had 14 kidney stone operations since. A few months ago they found a one inch stone and had to poke a hole and insert a tube thru my back into my kidney to get to it - a Percutaneous nephrolithotomy (PCNL). They had to go back for a second try and finally a laser lithotripsy to get the last of it.
    I guess 3rd time was charm. Over all, 4 surgical procedures 3 nights in the hospital and 1 ER visit.

Along with a Laser Litholapaxy to remove a bladder stone and urinary tract infection (2 months of antibiotics) it has been a less than enjoyable year. Hoping 2017 is less eventful!

- Ron

• Chip,

Glad to hear you are recovering. Will keep you in my prayers.

Paul