Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Win10 Procrastinators: The End is Nigh! - Page 8 — Parallax Forums

Win10 Procrastinators: The End is Nigh!

1234568»

Comments

• Heater. wrote: »
    This Windows 10 thing is giving me a lot of grief.

Or should I say 'er in doors is giving me a lot of grief because since upgrading her Fujitsu laptop to Win 10 it is crashing twice an hour. Totally crashed, stuck, wedged. Happens when she is watching the local TV shows over the net in Chrome. The thing just stops and makes a horrible buzzing noise as the sound card loops a few milli-second of sound over and over.

Of course, it's all my fault. Which it is I guess. For falling for that upgrade suggestion.

Meanwhile, my Surface Pro 4 still refuses to connect with out WIFI routers.

Grrr....

Can you install Linux on the Surface Pro 4? Is there a distro that will work with the touch screen and pen?

• Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    edited 2016-08-17 14:26
    David,

Yes. In my pre-purchase research I discovered this: https://github.com/jimdigriz/debian-mssp4. Seems like a lot of things do work. Although a bunch of stuff does not yet. Like the pen, only the eraser button works.

There is no mention of the dock there. So I have no idea if dual screen, ethernet, etc via the dock works.

For sure had I found that the thing was locked down or running Linux was otherwise impossible I would not have one.

One day I'll get round to experimenting with dual booting into Linux from a USB drive and see how useful it actually is.
    ... 'er in doors...
    Don't you ever take 'er out? Isn't she getting a little pale? :)

I recognize it as an Andy Capp type reference. But it does sound terribly sexist...

edited 2016-08-22 16:17
    User Name,

Funny you should say that. Despite being a Finnish girl, put her out in the sun for two minutes and she turns more brown than this English body of mine does in half a year.

I have no idea about Andy Capp. My "'er indoors" comes from the 1980's TV series "Minder"

Good old Cockney.

Sexist? Maybe. I have just been watching girls boxing and wrestling in Rio.
  • MikeDYurMikeDYur Posts: 2,176
    edited 2016-08-22 16:18
    Heater. wrote: »
    Sexist? Maybe. I have just been watching girls boxing and wrestling in Rio.

Yes. Women should know how to protect themselves, and I would hope my wife could protect herself at that level.
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069

Grrr...

And people have been telling me for years that they use Windows instead of Linux because they want stuff to just work without having to fiddle with it for hours. What with my graphics and WIFI issues I spent more time fettling this junk than a quick Debian install.
    W98SE & WXP were the last reliable versions IMHO.

W7 & W8/8.1 updates are now just to slow your PC down, trying to force you to upgrade. If they do it regularly, you wont notice it is the upgrades gradually slowing your PC down. Again, just IMHO.
  • K2K2 Posts: 691
    I have no idea about Andy Capp. My "'er indoors" comes from the 1980's TV series "Minder"

I haven't thought about Andy Capp for a million years. My hometown newspaper used to carry the strip. I found this article that gives a brief summary. bbc.com/news/uk-england-tees-35802880

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    Cluso99 wrote: »
    W7 & W8/8.1 updates are now just to slow your PC down, trying to force you to upgrade. If they do it regularly, you wont notice it is the upgrades gradually slowing your PC down. Again, just IMHO.

I agree that Windows 98SE and Windows XP were pretty dialed in. Windows 7 hasn't been bad for me. I am running Windows 7 Pro on two PCs ever since it came out. Once they got the bugs worked out it was okay. What they keep doing is adding "features" to each new iteration of Windows which take up more resources. Windows 10 was the biggest contradiction ever. An O/S designed for tablets really (based on Windows 8), crammed onto PCs and tying you into the "App Store". But on previous versions of Windows when you clicked the Start Button (yes, they eventually added one to Windows 8.1) you would see the typical recent programs, pinned programs, and links to control panel, devices, etc. (except Windows 8, which had to be different).

On Windows 10 you get some semblance of that, but you get all this bloatware running delivering stocks, news, weather, etc. There's even XBox icons. Why?!? All this stuff takes resources to run. And yet they removed the media center and many other bundled progams (err, apps) and are moving to a subscription-based system where you pay maintenance fees to keep things going rather than owning your O/S for 5 years, which was what I liked to do along with the same hardware.

Don't even get me started on telemetry...and Cortana...Windows 10 is Microsoft's new marketing spy.
    Yeah, the start menu thing is a pain. You can get rid of all that stocks, news and weather stuff. Right Click -> Unpin from start.

It's annoying to have to do so though.

It's the back door to the NSA that is the worry though.

Hi NSA guys!

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    Yeah, the start menu thing is a pain. You can get rid of all that stocks, news and weather stuff. Right Click -> Unpin from start. It's annoying to have to do so though.

Windows 10 was installed on my work laptop. Unpin everything was the first thing I did, including unpinning IE from the Quick Launch bar.
    I wonder how this works out. Presumably every time you unpin or uninstall (if you can) whatever Smile is there the telemetry system reports that to MS.

Will MS eventually get the message that all we want to do is run Chrome or Firefox?

Or do people actually like and use all that junk?

Or do people actually like and use all that junk?

It's the same people who would camp out in front of a store to secure a new copy. My mother always told me, beware of strangers bearing gifts. Sounds like MS is getting stranger, and some of you fell for it.
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    I use W10 on my laptop, and Edge.
    I have disabled as much telemetry as I can.

I set my usual internet connection as 'metered'. Now outlook asks every time for permission to go online :( But it stops windows from automatically updating at least :)

But as soon as I use another internet connection windows rushes out to get the latest updates, and of course takes over my laptop to install the newest junk and telemetry. I just feel like I no longer own my own hardware either :(
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697

I set my usual internet connection as 'metered'. Now outlook asks every time for permission to go online :( But it stops windows from automatically updating at least :)

But as soon as I use another internet connection windows rushes out to get the latest updates, and of course takes over my laptop to install the newest junk and telemetry. I just feel like I no longer own my own hardware either :(

I share your pain. Had an update this morning that forced me to go to the bank and withdraw a substantial amount of cash to make a time critical payment that was to be done electronically. Had me cursing win10 for the rest of the day.
  • kwinn wrote: »

I share your pain. Had an update this morning that forced me to go to the bank and withdraw a substantial amount of cash to make a time critical payment that was to be done electronically. Had me cursing win10 for the rest of the day.

That's odd 'cause 10 doesn't get in the way of other things when downloading updates and prompts you to reboot if needed. So nothing should've affected doing an electronic transfer with the computer. WU even throttles back downloads if you're using an Internet connection- even downloading full builds (I'm toying with the insider program thing so get those fairly often) doesn't affect my browsing speeds or force a reboot when I'm not looking.
    Except of course when it does get in the way.

On at least two occasions this Surface Pro has been wedged in various blue screen of update (BSOU ?) for tens of minutes. The blue screen show some useless messages like "Preparing update", "Performing update", "We have updated you computer but we are going to make you wait another ten minutes anyway....".

Eventually you find there are some options that may help with this scenario.

• abecedarianabecedarian Posts: 312
    edited 2016-08-20 01:00
    Except of course when it does get in the way.

On at least two occasions this Surface Pro has been wedged in various blue screen of update (BSOU ?) for tens of minutes. The blue screen show some useless messages like "Preparing update", "Performing update", "We have updated you computer but we are going to make you wait another ten minutes anyway....".

Eventually you find there are some options that may help with this scenario.

I've never seen Win10 display anything like that other than after it's prompted me to reboot and I've allowed it to do so.
    As I mentioned, I've been on Win10 insider Smile since that opened that up for users to beta test things.

Well, maybe I should rephrase... I've woken up in the morning and been greeted with that screen but it's never interrupted me, and I often keep strange hours.

I'm not going to say everything has been smooth... as matter of fact I'm having problems now with my two tablets synching desktop wallpaper, account avatars and shite with the latest beta thing, but it's not so much a problem than an inconvenience. Everything other than the desktop background, theme and avatar synch fine otherwise.
  • Mine keeps messing with my graphics driver. I have 2 and run 3 monitors. I end u having to go in to Safe mode, deleting the graphics cards and then letting Win 10 find them again. If I use the manufacturers drivers it seems to Smile out every couple of days. And yes, the cards are Win 10 compatible.
    This Win 10 thing is totally insane.

This is a Surface Pro 4. That is to say actual MS hardware with actual MS software.

One can never tell what it does next.

After weeks of WIFI working just fine. It now does not work with my WIFI routers at home. Works with some others when I'm out and about. But not in my office, which used to work.

Just now the thing refused to boot and display anything when I bring it home and connect it to monitor via it's dock. Which has been working fine for some weeks. After half an hour or replugging and power cycling the thing it starts to work.

Seems that every time I start it up there is a new problem to deal with.

Seems to me things have not changed much since Bill Gates demoed USB in Win 98, or whatever it was, and it immediately crashed the machine.

When my boss is paying nearly 2000 dollars for a machine is it too much to expect it to actually work?

• VonSzarvasVonSzarvas Posts: 3,283
    edited 2016-09-01 21:38
    Hello all,

Some below par language and opinion is creeping into this thread.

Please respect your host and community.
    VonSzarvas,

I don't understand. Are you referring to my post above?

I don't see that I have used any "below par" language. Quite polite actually. Under the circumstances.

As for "opinion", I'm only reporting what has actually happened here.
  • Courtney JacobsCourtney Jacobs Posts: 903
    edited 2016-09-01 22:47
    The only new material being added to this thread are complaints. These comments are too negative for the Parallax forums and require too much moderation.

I am closing this thread. Any new thread created on this same topic or a closely-related one will be removed without additional warning.

If you have feedback on using Parallax software on a Windows 10 system, please submit it to support@parallax.com.
This discussion has been closed.