Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Win10 Procrastinators: The End is Nigh! - Page 4 — Parallax Forums

Win10 Procrastinators: The End is Nigh!

Comments

• Dave Hein wrote: »
    The biggest problem I had was that Windows 10 no longer has a free solitaire game included. My wife was not very happy when she found out that spider solitaire was no longer on the computer. It appears that Microsoft is trying to make some extra income by selling games instead of providing a few free games. Fortunately there are free alternatives on the internet.

You just brought up one of the main reasons I refuse to let my Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 PCs upgrade. Microsoft takes more than they give during the "upgrade". Since when does an upgrade include removing software you previously owned. If you're running your Windows Multimedia Center, after the "upgrade" you don't have that anymore either. And even with Windows 8.1 MS took away the free image/backup software that was included in Windows 7.

Yep, That's why I keep one XP professional, two Win 7 Professional, and a Win 8.1 Tablet. My RCA Tablet came with WIN 10 installed. I always have a place to put my software.

(I also have three 486 machines for my EPROM burners). :)

• Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    I procrastinate no more. Again.

Last laptop here, a huge big old Fujitsu Lifebook.

Seems to me that Win10 removes a lot of old cruft, like solitaire. I mean really, should an operating system come with such trivia?

And it adds a lot more cruft. Like all that annoying stuff you have to figure out how to disable or remove.

Anyway, it makes a good boot loader for Linux. :)
  • If you're running your Windows Multimedia Center, after the "upgrade" you don't have that anymore either.

Yep, that is the number one issue I have with Windows 10. My Media PC runs Windows 7 Ultimate and Windows Media Center and has been for years. It runs excellent with the DVDs on my NAS and the network dual tuner I have. It's a shame that Microsoft felt that Media Center wasn't worthy of making the cut for Windows 10.

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    Whether the extras should or shouldn't come with an O/S isn't the question. They simply have been there for years now and people are used to them being a part of Windows. No dialogue boxes during the "upgrade" warn you or notify you that afterward you will no longer have several of the things that were there.
  • If you're running your Windows Multimedia Center, after the "upgrade" you don't have that anymore either.

Yep, that is the number one issue I have with Windows 10. My Media PC runs Windows 7 Ultimate and Windows Media Center and has been for years. It runs excellent with the DVDs on my NAS and the network dual tuner I have. It's a shame that Microsoft felt that Media Center wasn't worthy of making the cut for Windows 10.

Yea, I don't want to lose my Media Center on my XP PRO.

• kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    Dave Hein wrote: »
    The biggest problem I had was that Windows 10 no longer has a free solitaire game included. My wife was not very happy when she found out that spider solitaire was no longer on the computer. It appears that Microsoft is trying to make some extra income by selling games instead of providing a few free games. Fortunately there are free alternatives on the internet.

You just brought up one of the main reasons I refuse to let my Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 PCs upgrade. Microsoft takes more than they give during the "upgrade". Since when does an upgrade include removing software you previously owned. If you're running your Windows Multimedia Center, after the "upgrade" you don't have that anymore either. And even with Windows 8.1 MS took away the free image/backup software that was included in Windows 7.

Well, you only think you "own" that software. At least according to Microsoft's licensing terms. I'm willing to bet that the "free" upgrade to Win10 is the first step on the road to yearly fees to let you "use" their software.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    kwinn,

That is exactly what they're doing. Just like Adobe. You're no longer buying the software and owning a copy of it. They're moving to a subscription-based system where you have to pay to use it. On Windows I would imagine that without the fees you won't be entitled to updates. Which before, updates were free for the life of the product.
  • abecedarianabecedarian Posts: 312
    edited 2016-07-25 23:56
    Windows 7 games on Win10:
    http://winaero.com/blog/get-windows-7-games-for-windows-10/

Also, in the Store, Microsoft has the Solitaire Collection which includes Free Cell, Klondike, Spider Solitaire and others for free... though they do support in-game purchase for things I've yet to discover.
  • VonSzarvasVonSzarvas Posts: 3,283
    edited 2016-07-26 00:10
    Not to mention two great Microsoft games...
    Age of Empires & Age of Mythology

Although the pre-update scan found these 2 Microsoft games and declared "all compatible", the reality post-upgrade is very different.
    Win10 doesn't support the protection DLL used in these two Microsoft games, and so they cannot work.

Arrgh! Nothing like a "misleading" upgrade process to get one started on the right foot!

• ercoerco Posts: 20,254
    Some positive details about the latest Win 10 (the "anniversary update"): http://www.theverge.com/2016/7/25/12269736/microsoft-windows-10-anniversary-update-features-review
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    Any bets on the Anniversary W10 Update will be by subscription ???
    Just in time to catch everyone who races into W10 this week ;)
    Thought I would be smart and get another legal W10 :(

I have a dead laptop with W7. So I moved the HDD over to an old laptop. Had some issues booting with drivers, but no problems.
    I booted into my USB 8GB with W10 ISO. Oh!!! W10 cannot run as the CPU is not 64-bit :(
  • Cluso99 wrote: »

I have a dead laptop with W7. So I moved the HDD over to an old laptop. Had some issues booting with drivers, but no problems.
    I booted into my USB 8GB with W10 ISO. Oh!!! W10 cannot run as the CPU is not 64-bit :(

Win10 supports 32 bit so not sure where your problem lies other than the dead laptop ran 64 so had that HAL installed, and the other is 32 bit so the HAL wasn't set up for it. Not MS' problem.
    Phew...The Fujitsu Lifebook upgrade took 16 hours!

This is one tank of a laptop. It must be the biggest, heaviest I have ever seen. You would never want to carry this thing anywhere and using it on a lap would be a challenge. I have no idea where 'er-in-doors got it from. It's got quite a nice screen though.

Why is it that all the options in Windows are set to the opposite of what anybody would want by default? Especially the privacy setting which are by default set to "what privacy".
    Cluso99 wrote: »

Win10 supports 32 bit so not sure where your problem lies other than the dead laptop ran 64 so had that HAL installed, and the other is 32 bit so the HAL wasn't set up for it. Not MS' problem.

The W10 32-bit is supposed to be restricted to tablets <10".
    I only have the W10 64-bit ISO and that is what I wanted. Just forgot my laptop was so old that it only had a 32bit cpu.
    I wasn't saying it was MS's problem.
  • abecedarianabecedarian Posts: 312
    edited 2016-07-27 18:13
    Cluso99 wrote: »
    ... The W10 32-bit is supposed to be restricted to tablets <10".
    I only have the W10 64-bit ISO and that is what I wanted. Just forgot my laptop was so old that it only had a 32bit cpu.
    I wasn't saying it was MS's problem.
    The Win10 "Media Creation Tool" gives the option to create install media for 32 bit, 64 bit or both. If "both" is selected, you have to boot from that media and then select which you want to install during the install process.

If you run the tool, the dialog prompts you about "Upgrade this PC now" or "Create installation media for another PC". If you select the latter, it shows prompts for language, edition and architecture, which are not selectable by default. It also has a checkbox next to "Use the recommended options for this PC" selected. If you unselect that it unlocks the other options above and you can then choose which architecture you want to install.

There is no restriction as to whether it goes 32 or 64 bit based on being a tablet or not.

• Ron CzapalaRon Czapala Posts: 2,418
    edited 2016-07-30 00:28
    PCWorld

Microsoft faces two new lawsuits over aggressive Windows 10 upgrade tactics
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/3101396/windows/microsoft-faces-two-new-lawsuits-over-aggressive-windows-10-upgrade-tactics.html
    Microsoft is facing two more lawsuits over the company’s questionable Windows 10 upgrade tactics. Both suits are seeking class-action status.

The first suit was filed in U.S. District Court in Florida. It alleges that Microsoft’s Windows 10 upgrade prompts “violated laws governing unsolicited electronic advertisements,” as reported by The Seattle Times. The suit also says Microsoft’s tactics are against the Federal Trade Commission’s rules on deceptive and unfair practices.

The second suit was filed in June in Haifa, Israel alleging that Microsoft installed Windows 10 on users’ computers without consent. Microsoft already paid out a $10,000 award in a previous U.S. suit over similar circumstances.
    Hillary gives Win10 the thumbs up on her email server!

I love a good midnight deadline. Tonight I'm trying to back up my Acer Aspire netbook and see if that will run Win10. I have to do a test reset to Win XP just in case.
    edited 2016-07-30 07:54
    Like Professor Robert Langdon in "Inferno", I futilely missed my deadline tonight. I was racing to get Win10 on my netbook before midnight, but it was not meant to be. Very slow process. Coulda sworn I saw somewhere that midnight California time was the deadline, but a quick look at Microsoft's giant clock tonight (screenshot) says I get 3 more hours. They must be using Hawaii time for the cutoff, so I'm in good shape. Activated at 1:04 am on July 30, I'm golden! Working as advertised: http://www.techtimes.com/articles/71296/20150723/this-old-acer-aspire-one-can-handle-windows-10-video.htm

deadline.jpg
    1251 x 848 - 329K
    Ran out of machines to install it on around here.

Since then I have been looking into how to protect oneself against this corporate malware.

As I said before, we are all used to protecting ourselves against external threats, viruses, trojans, all kind of malware that might find itself on our OS and do all kind of harm. We are not used to having to protect ourselves from the threat within, the OS itself. Seems anti-virus programs are not geared up for this. At least not yet.

Best I have come up with is Spybot from https://www.safer-networking.org/and their "Anti Beacon" https://www.safer-networking.org/spybot-anti-beacon/ which seems to try and disable most of the Win 10 spy ware.

But then I have to trust those guys. Who knows who they are?

At the end of the day it is futile. MS has root permissions to your machine, not you. Ultimately they can defeat any protections you put in place.

Looks like all this stuff needs to be blocked at whatever router one is using to connect to the net.

• It's amazing that a company could damage its reputation so completely that a 'free upgrade' would be met with such suspicion.
  • It's amazing that a company could damage its reputation so completely that a 'free upgrade' would be met with such suspicion.

Their heavy-handed approach trying to force it upon people has resulted in the push-back.

Interesting take on "Why Windows 10 Sucks or Everything Wrong with Windows 10"
    http://itvision.altervista.org/why-windows-10-sucks.html

windows-10-fixed.jpg
    277 x 253 - 25K
  • I have 3 win 7 machines that will never become win 10. One is off line forever, one is used online to acquire data for the first and is transported via sneakernet to the off line one. The operator does not need or want any diferent or new user interface to confuse her when moving back and fourth between the two. The third is a laptop that if the MS pressure gets to great, will become the second linux machine.
    Jim
    Alexander,
    It's amazing that a company could damage its reputation so completely that a 'free upgrade' would be met with such suspicion.
    We are well past the "suspicion" stage. We are into demonstrated facts. Win 10 is malicious spyware. That's it.

erco,
    Now remember, this is a Win10 support thread for us nervous procrastinators who feel the pressure as the deadline clock ticks down. We want to hear positive, productive, and helpful things. :)
    OK. Now that you have successfully chivvied us along to upgrade to Windows 10, and we are all subject to MS spy-ware,do you have any suggestions as to how we can get out of this mess?
    Some positive details about the latest Win 10 ....
    In other news, google it, the anniversary edition is tightening its grip and locking down more things.

I feel Debian coming to my Surface Pro 4...
    Ha, Fry's is pushing Win7 the day after Microsoft's free Win10 offer expired.

win7.jpg
    810 x 840 - 295K
    Heater. wrote: »
    Ran out of machines to install it on around here.

So nice to hear you're a fanboy now, Heater! :)

Erco,

Know thine enemy.

EE351 wrote: »

I stayed up past midnight for NOTHING? :)

This discussion has been closed.