Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Win10 Procrastinators: The End is Nigh! - Page 6 — Parallax Forums

Win10 Procrastinators: The End is Nigh!

Comments

• TorTor Posts: 2,010
    No ISO re-install possible, I'm afraid. The Japanese Windows installations require different ISOs not generally available at those sites, at least that was the case when I looked at ISOs a year or two ago.
    And yes, I did find 8.1 easy, as Windows go. I went through the whole first-setup process, with a lot of "what?" about the email-based accounts and all that, and stared at that new layout for a while. But then I quickly figured out the swipe to change between modes, it was great to easily go between the new view and the traditional one.
    There is nothing traditional in Win10.
    I despise it.
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    Tor wrote: »

There is nothing traditional in Win10.
    I despise it.

+1000
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    Luckily for me I have not had to use Windows since 1996 so I don't notice anything "traditional" they have busted.

However the UI is not just bad it's dishonest and intentionally misleading. Starting from the first boot up and it's time to configure a few things. There is a big button on the lower right of a dialogue that says "Use express settings". Which of course sets all you privacy options to "what privacy, you ain't got no privacy". If you actually want to configure stuff you have to notice the small print at the bottom of the dialogue that leads you there.

This deceptive approach runs though the entire UI.

Still, once I have cygwyn, Sublime, Atom, git, VS Code, Chrome, Firefox, SimpleIDE, PropellerIDE, node installed I can hardly tell it's not Linux!
  • Tor wrote: »
    Thanks, localroger.
    It seems like it can't restore the desktop though, after a brief look at features. The wife would copy pictures from an SD card or camera to the desktop on 8.1, and resize and edit them there. Now there's no desktop, except for a millisecond flicker now and then.
    For now there's a workaround using the faststone image viewer and hunt around the file tree.

The desktop is a standard feature in Win8 and Win10 but you normally have to click on one of the start page tiles to get to it. It's possible the tile got deleted but the support is still there for a desktop. When you install Classic Shell you can configure it to boot directly to the desktop, bypassing the silly metro/modern/whatever start business.
    edited 2016-08-03 22:35
    I'm confused. All my Win 10 installs have a task bar at the bottom that shows currently running stuff.

Hitting the windows icon thing in there brings up start menu, a list of stuff I might want to run. Looks pretty much like the old start menus, as far as remember from using them occasionally.

There is a few tiles hanging off the start menu, only because I have not unpinned them yet.

All in all it looks like the Win 7 it was before I upgraded it. Until that is, you want to configure something...

Screenshot%20%2820%29.png

1920 x 1080 - 335K
  • abecedarianabecedarian Posts: 312
    edited 2016-08-04 02:56
    Tor wrote: »
    I bitterly regret that we updated the wife's pc from 8.1 to 10 some time ago. Win 10 is horrible. Even I could find my way around 8.1 after a short time, despite using a Japanese interface. 10, on the other hand, is a nonintuitive ugly mess. Desktop gone, except for a millisecond flash when terminating some apps. No recycle bin to find, none of the methods suggested on the net work, either they refer to a non-existing desktop, or a non-existing invisible tiny (that is, supposed to be invisible and tiny) icon. And so on. Wife is getting desperate because accidentally deleted pictures can't be recovered.
    Did I mention how absolutely ugly 10 is, compared to 8.1? Particularly on her PC with both mouse and touch. We should just have unplugged the PC from the net a few weeks until the date had passed, and hopefully be free from nag screens after that.
    I'm even considering replacing the SSD with a similar one which I have laying around for essentially the same modl PC, it has never been booted and set up.
    Two things to do: on the right end of the taskbar by the clock is the Action Center. Click on it and then make sure "Tablet Mode" isn't highlighted.
    After that, click the Windows flag "start" icon and then the gear icon to get to settings. From there click on "System" and then "Tablet Mode" on the left. When that screen comes up, under "When I sign in" make sure "Use Desktop Mode" is the option selected and below that make sure "Always ask me before switching" is selected.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,254
    OK, now this is ridiculous:

My little Toshiba laptop (32GB SSD/2GB RAM) was offered the Anniversary update today. Bought last Thanksgiving, it came

Background: It has refused the November update (v1511,10586) numerous times, saying it needed 14GB of extra storage. It asks for a thumbdrive and I give it a 16GB thumbdrive. After HOURS of downloading, the update bombs. Only ~100MB ever stored on the thumbdrive in some tmp file.

So I hoped the Anniversary update might do an end run around the failed Nov update. But the new update now asks for 20GB on the C drive, which is impossible. When it was brand new it only had a few extra GB, nowhere close to 20. Does not give a thumbdrive option.

Isn't 20GB just obscene? No one cares about storage space any more. The old Commodore C64 did a lot with 64K, 39K free at bootup!

Can't wait to see how the Craig CMP801 tablet like the new update. Even less memory!
  • @erco - If you haven't yet, run Disk Cleanup (cleanmgr.exe) to see if there's any temporary files and such you might be able to delete. Also try Windows troubleshooters. There is one for Windows Update that can sometimes get things back in proper order. They're found in the Control Panel.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    Yeah, I've seen the temp internet files cache take up several GB of space before.
  • GenetixGenetix Posts: 1,742
    edited 2016-08-05 22:29
    Erco,

32GB and 2GB sound more like Netbook than Notebook specs.
    A friend of mine has a little Toshiba Netbook that comes with 1GB and is expandable to 2GB.
    No drives but it has a VGA port and is perfect for programming microcontrollers.
    It bogs down if you open several programs or many IE tabs so I wouldn't bother updating it because reinstalling Win 7 would be a royal pain.

CCleaner will find and get rid of all those temporary files that tend to accumulate over time.
    You could also uninstall programs and then reinstall them later if you really needed the space.
    edited 2016-08-05 22:56
    My little old Acer netbook (aspire One) handles Win10 with aplomb and a 160GB HDD.

But this full-sized Toshiba laptop has no room on the 32GB SSD for much of anything. It's actually a great, zippy computer for most everything except updating Win10. GRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrr...

Yeah, I've run all those cleanup programs and even removed all my personal files and yet there is only 8.84GB free of 28.3GB available capacity. I wonder if compressing the drive would work. That will slow it down, right?
  • 8.84GB doesn't sound right. My 10" Toshiba tablet had about 8 free out of 29 available after doing the recent Win10 release, and that was including the 'roll back' to the previous install data; it's about 14.9 free after removing that. And I didn't need additional external storage like USB drive to do it.

Compressing probably won't help because 10 will compress files on the fly, as and if needed, during the upgrade process. That's part of the reason a download can take a long time to complete and install.

If yours upgraded from 8/8.1 to 10, those used WIMBOOT and an ~4GB recovery partition. That might explain your use of space and inability to upgrade if you once had 8/8.1 on it.

If you can do it, you may try to boot from install media and delete your partitions for a clean install, just make sure you've downloaded the relevant drivers for chipset, display and such.

• Erco,

I hate to tell you this but that drive needs to go because by today's standards it's nothing.
    You could try reinstalling Windows and then only leaving what's needed to use it, but in the end you are fighting a losing battle.
    Sooner or later there will be update that will want more space than you drive has if only formatted.
    Take to the opportunity to get a bigger drive and some more RAM or just live without Windows 10 on it.
  • Hi
    I have 11 inch laptop with win 10 and 32 gb ssd
    when win10 upgraded the first time it left a copy of the old win 10 files leaving little spare room on the ssd. That I deleted without any side effects. (so far)

On this my main PC with 1 Tbyte HD, space is no problem, so I just looked and there is a file (directory) "Windows.old" on the 'C' drive of 35Gbyte!

Havent received the latest update yet.

Dave
    Thanks for the suggestions, but the solution continues to evade. Yes, 32GB is small, it's more like a tablet, got it for the kids, but I really like it for simple stuff. Thin, lightweight, nice display, eternal battery life (built-in, can't swap), it works amazingly well.

Bought this Toshiba new last November, Win10 pre-installed. Worked fine until it tried to download the Threshold 2 (1511) update. Required a flashdrive for external memory for the upgrade, then it bricked itself. Returned to Office Depot, they worked on it for 2 days, gave up then gave me a brand new one. I've just avoided that update on this machine (I have 3 other 32GB devices working fine with 1511, I think those are 32-bit types). But now that the anniversary update is here, I'm hoping Microshaft/Toshiba has worked out the problems but I don't see any discussion in the Toshiba forum. Right now I'm doing a Windows reset to minimize used space on the drive.
    Yippee Skippee! My little Toshiba finally updated to Win10 v1511/10586. Previously, there was no Win.old folder to delete, plus I suppose there was a lot of bloatware on there. Today I did a Toshiba factory reset to clear the SSD then immediately loaded the 64-bit Win10 ISO from a DVD I had created previously, and it took. Loading that ISO DVD yesterday (prior to the factory reset) bombed out. After the new ISO loaded, there WAS a Win.old file to delete, which cleared 5 GB off the 32GB SSD (15%!). With such a tiny drive, every little bit counts. Screen shots attached.

Finally this is a clean machine and mostly up to date, although several upgrades and drivers are still downloading, let's see how much clutter that adds. Hopefully the imminent anniversary update will go smoother than this "Threshhold 2" update did. Anybody here get the Win10 anniversary update offer yet? Nothing offered to any of our six Win10 machines yet. Slow rollout I suppose.

Winoldnew.jpg
    1200 x 768 - 204K
  • Erco,

Great news but what a hassle to get it.
    Also beware that Microsoft changed the reversion to a previous version down to 10 days instead of 30.
    edited 2016-08-06 22:23
    1511 is the old, official RTM build. 1607 is the Anniversary Update.

The 10 day limit to roll back is a recent change.
  • zappmanzappman Posts: 418
    edited 2016-08-06 22:20
    erco wrote: »
    .... Anybody here get the Win10 anniversary update offer yet? Nothing offered to any of our six Win10 machines yet. Slow rollout I suppose.
    ]

Yes, I did the on both of may desktops an old Dell and Lenovo. I didn't wait to the Win10 anniversary update offer, instead I went to the Microsoft site, and manually accepted the offer to upgrade. I stills have to load the on 2 Acer Aspire One 10" laptops.
    Genetix wrote: »
    Also beware that Microsoft changed the reversion to a previous version down to 10 days instead of 30.

Really? That sounds unscrupulous. They couldn't just let the switchback period be a month after the free upgrade deadline? Sounds like there may be a gotcha coming soon.

Whatever happened to getting something for nothing?

edited 2016-08-06 22:27
    Or is it 10 days to roll back from the anniversary upgrade? Any surprises there, I just thought it was a service pack.
    edited 2016-08-06 22:34
    The change to 10 days happened before the AU was released but only people on the Insider program saw that change. It is part of the AU though.
    Also, AU is a new build: 14393, aka 1607 for AU versus 10586 aka 1511 for the RTM. The number after the build, i.e. 10586.104 is represents a 'revision' of sorts and is changed by the "cumulative updates" released after the major revision / build change.

So to go from 10586/1511 to 14393/1607 is a full upgrade.

*edit to correct the RTM build number.
    Thanks, yes AU is the latest revision, I'm just happy to be current with Threshold 2 for now. When I'm ready for AU on this little Toshiba I'll probably have to do another OS restore from an ISO image since the upgrade process requires so much memory space.

I'll wait a while to hear how the AU works from you early adopters. I'm not in any rush to be the first on the block for any of our six Win10 machines. On rare occasions, Microsoft has had software glitches in early versions previously. :)
    Video below from Win10 Anniversary Update review at http://www.windowscentral.com/windows-10-anniversary-update

• zappmanzappman Posts: 418
    edited 2016-08-07 23:43
    zappman wrote: »
    erco wrote: »
    .... Anybody here get the Win10 anniversary update offer yet? Nothing offered to any of our six Win10 machines yet. Slow rollout I suppose.
    ]

Yes, I did the on both of may desktops an old Dell and Lenovo. I didn't wait to the Win10 anniversary update offer, instead I went to the Microsoft site, and manually accepted the offer to upgrade. I still have to load the on 2 Acer Aspire One 10" laptops.

The first of my Acer Aspire One 10" laptops has had the Win10 anniversary update installed.
    edited 2016-08-08 00:40
    "rich notification"

I want to be sick.

How come my Anniversary Update Win 10 does not look like any of that? (Except they moved the shutdown, and so on items around in the start menu again)

Just as well really.

Edit: Oh, and apart from screwing my screen resolution and scaling settings the Anniversary Update also turned on a lot of privacy and "App can use" settings I had turned off previously.

• @Heater.

But you have a Bash-shell now, or what MS thinks a Bash-shell might look like.

Enjoy!

Mike
    I have always had a Bash shell on any Windows machine I've been force to use. With Cygwin or a VM.

How else do you get anything done on Windows? :)

• Heater. wrote: »
    I have always had a Bash shell on any Windows machine I've been force to use. With Cygwin or a VM.

How else do you get anything done on Windows? :)

Is that like "msconfig.exe"?

I use it to get the processor to do what I want.
  • Came across this today - Going back to Windows 7 because of the 100% HDD usage bug.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/8/8/12401606/going-back-to-windows-7

Doing a google search on "windows 10 100 percent disk usage" brings up a lot of articles/links pertaining to the issue...
This discussion has been closed.