Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
The government wants you to register your drone. — Parallax Forums

The government wants you to register your drone.

MikeDYurMikeDYur Posts: 2,176
edited 2016-04-27 16:10 in General Discussion
NBC World News tonight.

Comments

• A link would be nice.
  • I saw that. It was on NBC Nightly News.

You're combining two completely different national and world news broadcasts into one name. World News is part of the one from ABC, and Nightly News is on NBC. (And is usually better at it.)

It should come up later this year.
  • I ment it was on tonight.
  • Thank's for the research.
  • TtailspinTtailspin Posts: 1,326
    edited 2015-10-17 01:39
    And a two week waiting period???

:)
  • Buck RogersBuck Rogers Posts: 2,160
    edited 2015-10-17 15:10
    It also came up on their local 11PM news.

The two week waiting period is for them to manage to make mistakes in the process. We are lucky that the Feds do not want us to file for operator licenses as we would need to become pilots of actual (private) aircraft as probably first occurred to them.

Especially since Commerce was the first agency to issue them, back when flying was new.

EDIT: I was thinking of the historical implications, because the Commerce was first, then it exploded into the DOT who's going to waste our time with that licensing, and the FAA who has no idea what to do with aircraft, both civilian and private.
  • ...well, well, well - more governmental overreach.

Wonderful.

What's next, registering RC planes?

Another bumper sticker in the works: "Fly a drone, go to jail."
  • This will help end our record as the most incarcerated nation on the planet ever, right?
  • I foresee a new government agency in the works. With drone police flying around our neighborhoods, nocking unlicensed vehicles out of the sky. Isn't there enough to worry about, they should just concentrate on the clowns violating airspace.
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2015-10-17 15:38
    So we need a million drones to converge on Washingon, D. C. in a fly in protest. That should make the government more calm and rational.

Personally, I would rather have the air space managed than have it be a free for all of various thrill seekers. These devices can and do fall out of the sky, fly into people and transport, and so on.
  • So we need a million drones to converge on Washingon, D. C. in a fly in protest. That should make the government more calm and rational.

• You're thinking of that silly ad that was inspired by "The Birds", right? Makes sense.

Now all we need is someone with a big shotgun blasting a fuzzy one out of the sky because it strayed onto her land while watching her neighbor who's a known (or unknown) pervert.
  • Well, here it is October 17th and the government plans to clarify their new regulations in the next few days.

That means that every drone manufacturers for the 2015 Christmas season is probably in a container ship in transit to the US already. The usually target in Asia for shipping for the Christmas shopping in September.

• The FAA does, in fact know what to do with aircraft. Like the FCC, who does know what to do with radios", the FDA, who know what to do with food, etc... some reasonable and prudent management of airspace is necessary.

This is tough for pioneers, who by and large, know their stuff.

Not about them. It's all about Joe Bloomstone and his shiny new drone.... who probably does not know his stuff.

They will very likely establish size, range and other criteria to differentiate a toy or hobby project from drones that warrant some demonstration of responsibility and accountability.

I'm actually OK with this given the behavior of a neighbor down the road, who is running a fairly serious machine with no real clue...

Think go carts for a similar scenario and rationale. As a kid we made some pretty fast ones. Can't just go zooming around on the roads. Though we did, and got a nice chat from officer fitzgerald, who directed us to a local field...

My neighbor is very highly likely to do something harm with his toy. I've been tempted to take it over, or render it a lesson in electronics repair more than once.

There is a great place, actually a few not far from the neighborhood. He seems oblivious, despite several of us expressing concern at park flights around kids and various back yard adventures. Not his yard eirher...

This is why we can't have nice things.
  • They know what to do with things?

Like the USPS that knows how to carry paper (losing money for years)
    Or our affordable healthcare (more expensive)
    Or our dept of transportation (fines people who fill potholes themselves)

I could go on.

I'd be fine if I thought they were going to take just an inch, but history tells us the government takes miles, and screws it all up, and we have to pay for it all.

What's worse, is they then take the things they messed up, and claim they need more money and power to fix the newly created issues. Rinse and repeat.

Should we keep drones out of crucial airspace? Yes. Can we trust the government to solve real problems without creating new ones? History tells us no.
  • People have been flying ultralights for decades without the need for a license.
    While searching the history of rc aircraft I found a YouTube video where the narrator said they were "...all petrol driven."
  • I won't respond further, save to say I could rebut each of those.

Okie dokie.
  • Plus skimming (tldr) through it, it seemed to be talking about the ineptitude of the USPS, which is helping prove my point.

I really don't have time to read the whole thing since I have a robotics class coming right up, however:

"But the Postal Service is losing $10 billion a year and needs to find ways to cut costs. " was towards the bottom, in the area I'd assume I'd find a conclusion paragraph.

Plus Lardom brings up a good point. Ultra lights are much bigger and heavier than drones.

Also, sure we want planes to be safe, but honestly short of malicious actions (which government can't protect us from, even with these new laws) birds will continue to be the biggest threat to aircraft.

They ban guns from campuses. That worked great. Drugs aren't allowed in prisons, that worked great.

We can't trust government to solve our problems. When given an inch, they take a mile. They can't even carry paper around correctly.

Anyway I have to go.
  • Yes, ultralight seem to have enough barrier to entry and skill requirement to make sense.

Drones are sensationalized and people seem to just jump in. I see micro ones for 20 bucks in the corner markets.

• They know what to do with things?

I don't want to start an OT argument, but part of the reason for this is obvious from the Parallax store.

Wanting to buy an ActivityBot, I am given a range of choices re shipping.
    USPS 2 day (Priority - which to me in Maryland has been 2 days) costs $11.55.
    UPS 3 day is $25.49 (2.2x)
    UPS 2 day air costs $31.78 (2.75x). (USPS Priority is air)

USPS rates and rules of operation have to be approved by that great body of rationale leadership - Congress. (You are losing too much money!! You cannot raise your rates like the other guys!!)
    UPS have to be approved by UPS.
    Regardless of the extra expense it has been my experience that UPS and the other commercial shippers don't have any better record of on-time, undamaged shipments.

(I don't work for USPS, but I like to point out quantified data when available.)

Tom

• PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2015-10-17 18:14
    twm47099 wrote: »
    They know what to do with things?

I don't want to start an OT argument, but part of the reason for this is obvious from the Parallax store.

USPS rates and rules of operation have to be approved by that great body of rationale leadership - Congress. (You are losing too much money!! You cannot raise your rates like the other guys!!)
    Regardless of the extra expense it has been my experience that UPS and the other commercial shippers don't have any better record of on-time, undamaged shipments.

(I don't work for USPS, but I like to point out quantified data when available.)

Tom

Sorry Tom. I don't correlate your post with the original post

• Publison wrote: »
    twm47099 wrote: »
    They know what to do with things?

Tom

Sorry Tom. I don't correlate your post with the original post

The quote I was commenting on was the one that pointed out USPS losing money for many years as an example of gov't not knowing "what to do with things".

Tom
  • If we were ever to get knocked back to the stone age, were going to need USPS to carry that letter across town. Assuming anyone remembers how to write.
  • Laws against driving though town at 100 mph haven't stopped some people from doing it, but I think most of us would agree that being able to impose fines for such a dangerous act is a good idea. Without making laws against driving too fast, there's no legal means to punish someone for doing so.

What's happening with drones is that some people are proving that they cannot be trusted to take safety and the rights of others into consideration, so regulations will be created that allow penalties to be applied for specific types of operation. It will still be up to the legal system as to when someone is penalized. If the public wasn't expressing alarm at some of the ways drones are being used, regulators wouldn't be writing regulations to restrict their use.
  • Registration often leads to confiscation.

That's my beef.
  • The comparison to ultralights is a little misleading. One of the issues with drones is that they're small, which makes them difficult to see from, say, a helicopter. Ultralights are much more highly visible, hence easier to avoid.

-Phil