Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
i think my scribbler committed suicide - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

i think my scribbler committed suicide

Comments

• whiteoxewhiteoxe Posts: 794
    edited 2014-06-02 08:08
    erco wrote: »
    There's a factory reset/restore program somewhere that has many programs to test all Scribbler I/Os. Shockingly, I can no longer find any Scribbler support at Parallax.com. Ken?

It's available from the GUI and may also be on the Scribbler CD if you have that.

BTW, can you turn on the 3 green LEDs?
    Nope, cant turn on the LED's.
    edited 2014-06-02 08:13
    It wont plasy sounds either. Ill have to write a tiny bit of code to see if the sensors are outputting any data in the terminal.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2014-06-02 08:50
    Back to square one (AKA post #9): you may have cracked the PCB when you stepped on it.
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2014-06-02 09:44
    Back to square one (AKA post #9): you may have cracked the PCB when you stepped on it.

+1
    edited 2014-06-02 09:59
    Well i found Prime electronics just around the corner from me !! Im going to ask if they would have a look tomorrow.
    edited 2014-06-02 10:05
    whiteoxe wrote: »
    Well i found Prime electronics just around the corner from me !! Im going to ask if they would have a look tomorrow.

You just need to visually inspect the board for cracks. They should be apparent. No need to pay someone to do that.
    edited 2014-06-02 10:30
    In the time before the Internet (?), I found a Battlezone arcade game (yep, full size) in the local classified ads, price was $150. When I went to see it, the owner had moved the game out to his garage, and half the screen was dead, nothing on the left side. Right side was perfect. We agreed on half price for half a game, $75. I took the game home and found a hairline crack on one of the fiberglass PCBs, one trace was broken. One blob of solder cured the problem and I had a perfect game for $75.

Per Publison, you should be able to spot a PCB crack pretty easily. Finding & repairing the broken trace(s) might be a bit more involved. Good experience, though!
    edited 2014-06-02 15:07
    well today il have a good look for cracks. If i cant find the problem ill see if i can get help.
    edited 2014-06-02 19:13
    Ratronic... it's blue !

I just output the value of the three front sensors of the scribbler. I assume they are working. I included two pics. One is the output while my fingers are covering the three lights. The second output is made whilei have the Scribbler pointing to the ceiling. So that's a little wierd that though the LED's and motors wont run but the IR sensors do ! Ive included the pictures as some of you might be able to better understand if the outputs are normal ?

edit; the middle picture was a mistake, but you can see i have speech recognition turned on, im practacing using my headset to write code. its going ok but it does need a lot of training for my voice still. (i was always a terrible typist and noe my hands are a little damaged from accident im even a bit worse. Im not at all sure this is going to work ;)
    819 x 460 - 57K
    1024 x 576 - 97K
    819 x 460 - 57K
    edited 2014-06-03 20:53
    Well i have looked at the electronics using a magnifying glass and I can't see any crack or anything that stands out ! I might try and canabalise whatever i can get out of it.
  • GenetixGenetix Posts: 1,748
    edited 2014-06-04 02:56
    Give all the connectors a light tug to see if a wire is loose. Also press each connector to make sure it's firmly inserted.
    You can even remove the connectors one a time, taking a quick look at it before reinserting it.

If that doesn't work try separating the wires from each other to see if these is a short.
    Also look down each for cuts or other marks. It's very easy to pinch a wire between the top and bottom case.
    Sometimes just wiggling wires makes it work.
    edited 2014-06-04 04:46
    good ideas thanks. i'm not ready to give up on it yet. parts are working, there is most likly something can be done,
    edited 2014-06-04 09:30
    You did say that it worked for a while after you stepped on it, right? Load a program to drive the motors and beep the speaker and have that running while you wiggle, flex, squeeze and press on the PCB & connectors, watching for signs of life.
  • NikosGNikosG Posts: 705
    edited 2014-06-04 11:31
    I haven't seen all the conversation but, have you tried to restore again the factory program?

attachment.php?attachmentid=108991&d=1401906547

I have seen this solution for a similar problem somewhere in the forum....
    600 x 252 - 86K
    edited 2014-06-04 13:31
    You did say that it worked for a while after you stepped on it, right? Load a program to drive the motors and beep the speaker and have that running while you wiggle, flex, squeeze and press on the PCB & connectors, watching for signs of life.
    good idea. I think it has to be something i did while ptting the halves back together.
    NikosG wrote: »
    I haven't seen all the conversation but, have you tried to restore again the factory program?
    Yes i did try that ;(
    edited 2014-06-04 16:03
    good idea. I think it has to be something i did while ptting the halves back together.

Yes i did try that ;(

Nikos showed the S2 GUI. You have the GUI for the Blue , correct?
    edited 2014-06-04 16:14
    Jim et al: IIRC the GUI could do a factory reset, and wasn't there also a seperate program to do that? No see 'um on Parallax.com.

A few useful links I've found:

http://www.andybrain.com/extras/scribbler-robot-review.htm

http://info.hobbyengineering.com/specs/PX-ScribblerHackHint.pdf

http://www.rambal.com/descargas/Documentos/guia_scribbler.pdf

http://www.cwu.edu/~cs112/docs/labs/Lab11Robots.pdf

http://exploringrobotics.com/demo/scribbler/lessons/activities/tips/scribblertips.htm

Looks like everything is here, but it's a Chinese site. Do you trust it? http://www.playrobot.com/scribbler_download.htm Oops, never mind, everything there is a link to S2.
    edited 2014-06-04 16:50
    yes Pub... its blue and I do have the CD that came with it. After I clean up my place im going to attempt to find out whats wrong.
    edited 2014-06-04 17:40
    I have got the Scribbler going again. I will post how after I figure out a couple of things that caused the problems !!!
    edited 2014-06-04 17:47
    The zombie Scribbler lives, Woo Hoo!
    edited 2014-06-04 18:10
    heee hee, its 11am so too early for a glass of champagne .. The solution was simple but baffling to some degree. I had it appart while running the avoid program from the GUI editor and was checking all connections, giving things a tap etc all the suggestions and NOthing was happening.

But remember when I used the basic Stamp Editor to get the output of the three IR readings and that worked. Well every code that is downloaded to the scribbler works if I use the basic stamp editor.

It seems there is some weird problem with the GUI editor and that has been the whole problem. How could i know when i would always get the message DOWNLOAD Successful "

So there we go, and don't i feel a bit silly. Im going to uninstall the GUI and then reinstall it. But yea.. I feel the Woo Hoo ;)
    edited 2014-06-04 18:16
    edit: in fact i dont know if i even want to use the graphical programming editor anymore !!!
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2014-06-04 18:17
    When you upload code to the Scribbler, make sure there are no other BASIC Stamp boards plugged into your computer and powered up. Otherwise, the program might go there instead of to your Scribbler.

-Phil
    edited 2014-06-04 18:56
    yeah Phil I only ever have one device plugged in at a time. You know what i think may have gone wrong. I dragged the basic stamp icon .exe to the desktop so i didn't have to go into folders to operate it. I think that's where the problem started ? but i dunno.

What an experience this was and a big thanks to all those that kept trying to help me !!!!
  • GenetixGenetix Posts: 1,748
    edited 2014-06-04 18:58
    Congrats on getting It working again.
    It could be an OS issue. You have Windows 7 correct?

Make sure only one windows program uses the COM port a time. Windows will assign your USB device a virtual COM port.
    I don't have a Scribbler so I can't help you but it's good to see it's a software issue.
    edited 2014-06-04 19:03
    Ok, sorry for this basic question but i cant find the Scribbler GUI or basic stamp programs to uninstall in the control panel or in the start menu, how can i uninstall them ? please !
    edited 2014-06-04 19:49
    All done and reinstalled. things are back to normal !!!
    edited 2014-06-04 20:47
    And you were in such a rush to harvest parts off that poor little PCB!
    I might try and canabalise whatever i can get out of it.
    edited 2014-06-04 20:51
    Well the good thing you don't have to worry about, I was thinking of posting it to you to look at ;)

ps. im waiting for motor controllers to use on my robot build. I am actually happy that i can now use c to program the prop.

and the arduino. This will be easier than spin even if i miss out on the obex.