Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
i think my scribbler committed suicide — Parallax Forums

i think my scribbler committed suicide

whiteoxewhiteoxe Posts: 794
edited 2014-07-09 16:22 in Robotics
i plugged it in and downloaded a simple program to output the ir readings, nothing happened, so i downloaded a couple more programs that came with the software, like avoid..... still no movment.

it just wont do a thing ???? batteries are full strength.

cant even make lights blink .

Comments

• Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2014-05-30 10:44
    Is this the same one with the broken wheel?
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2014-05-30 11:03
    Did't you open the BOT up to repair the wheel? You might have forgotten to connect a cable or put one in backwards, (but that hard to do).
  • whiteoxewhiteoxe Posts: 794
    edited 2014-05-30 11:12
    Yes fella's, its the one and only, its been going great since i fixed the wheel. For no reason(i know) it was fine one minute then the next time i downloaded a program it didn't respond. I will open it up and see if maybe a wire is loose or something. Thanks for replying within 5 seconds :)
    edited 2014-05-30 11:17
    Duane Degn wrote: »
    Maybe it's PTSD?
    Love the comedians in this place :)

I cant decide if the picture of you is crazy or evil ?
    edited 2014-05-30 11:25
    i wont let it go easily, if i cant fix it ill send it somewhere for a full autopsy :)
    edited 2014-05-30 11:34
    whiteoxe wrote: »
    Love the comedians in this place :)

You caught it before I deleted it. I decided it's not funny to a lot of people and I try to live by (but often fail) "it's better to be nice than funny".

I think your idea to check connections inside is a good one. Something might have been shaken loose.
    edited 2014-05-30 11:49
    Yeah , but sometimes humor relieves distress , it made me see a funny side to an otherwise sad event ..... :)
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2014-05-30 13:22
    IIRC you stepped on it when you broke the wheel. You may have also cracked the PCB and broken a trace, leaving you with an intermittent now. When in doubt, wiggle/tap/beat on the bot to see if it responds. You have nothing to lose at this point. At just $10, consider it a cheap education on why not to step on a bot... or more importantly, not to leave it on the floor. :)
    edited 2014-05-30 13:34
    ive not given up on it yet erco, but im putting penny's aside to get a bot.(bo bot)
    edited 2014-05-30 19:10
    Duane Degn wrote: »
    I try to live by (but often fail) "it's better to be nice than funny".

Learn from me, Duane, you'll never get to 10K post "VIP status" by limiting yourself to posting only nice stuff. Look at all my drivelings! Take this one, for instance...! :)
  • NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
    edited 2014-05-30 19:18
    PTSD has now been shortened to PTS as most feel it is not a Disorder. Either way, Duane was correct to edit it as it could be taken very offensively by some.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2014-05-30 20:24
    NWCCTV wrote:
    PTSD has now been shortened to PTS as most feel it is not a Disorder.
    Does this also apply to ADHD and, by extension to AADHD? (I'd like to think that I just have AADH -- or AAD -- hyperactivity seems not to be an issue.)
    erco wrote:
    ... you'll never get to 10K post "VIP status" by limiting yourself to posting only nice stuff ...
    No kidding. My posting rate went way down when a certain unnamed forumista left the building. :)

-Phil
    edited 2014-05-30 21:21
    Mighty Human of you to admit that, PhiPi!
    edited 2014-05-30 21:28
    My posting rate went way down when a certain unnamed forumista left the building.

I'm not sure If my posting rate went down but I'm pretty sure my blood pressure did.
    edited 2014-05-30 22:38
    COME OFF IT !!! we are all getting carried away with political correctness and work place safty and all kinds of things. In australia anyway. When i was young i had to ride a dozen horses to muster, most were not even half broken in and thats just a minor thing looking back, not long ago a young girl was expelled from the football stadium for yelling out Ape to a slightly dark player. he heard it and complained and even went on tv about it.

Once apon a time if you fell over it was tough luck now you can sue who ever made the sidewalk.

Im a bit short of cash to get some sensors, i think i'll go for a walk !
  • GenetixGenetix Posts: 1,748
    edited 2014-05-31 00:17
    What did your Scribbler do before it died? Also, have you checked the batteries?
    edited 2014-05-31 05:07
    batteries were fine, i checked each of them. it just sat on a tin to keep the wheels off the ground.
    edited 2014-05-31 05:11
    ive nearly build something like a scribbler, all i ned is a motor controller and choose a sensor, Im thinking of the ping kit with the servo. thats not cheap but seems a lot better than ju5t IR

and im going to use a gadget gangster prop board and program in c rather than spin. but using the bs2 homework board was what i was going to use , however ive just started learning C and i like the power of the prop. ,,and its potential as i get better at using it.
  • ratronicratronic Posts: 1,451
    edited 2014-05-31 09:17
    whiteoxe I haven't used the Scribbler GUI but I believe there is a way to load the Scribbler firmware from the GUI. If the Scribbler firmware is comprimised I would try to reload it. Scribbller2 without its firmware act's

like it is dead when you hit the power switch.

Edit: If it is a Scribbler1 (Blue) you can not do as I suggested.
    edited 2014-05-31 16:49
    If you use the PBasic editor, does it detect that a BS2 is connected? The power LED needs to be on, obviously.
    edited 2014-05-31 17:25
    yep Erco, i tried that and its detected. programs download , it just sits there. im busy with other electronics but later today im going to open it up .... which should worry you ;)
    edited 2014-05-31 21:02
    So maybe motor, speaker & LEDs are disconnected via connectors, maybe that's why it appears dead. Try the two IR LEDs & central IR receiver.
    edited 2014-05-31 22:05
    I haven't tried to fix or see inside yet !

Ive told about the $15 three wheeled robot platform i bought, i think . Ive put that together. the third wheel is like you'd find under a couch ! Its two motors are identical to the scribbler's. The drive wheels are quality . its got a battery box on topside, and thats about it.

The pic is a a few things i have ,to choose the new robots micro controller.
    1. basic stamp homework board
    2. Quick start
    3. Prop Kit
    4. Arduino
    5. Gadget Gangster prop board

and i just wanted to show you a couple of the capacitors P jacki dropped off with a whole box of good stuff. Those capacitors look like they belong in the power station a few miles away ;) I tghink i'll hook one up later just for kicks !!!! I think im going to be using one of the props in the new robot platform and use C to program it.
    640 x 480 - 64K
    edited 2014-06-01 17:37
    Whiteoxe: If you'd quit changing your avatar pic, you'd have finished your bot by now! So what was wrong with the LIS B9 robot pic? :)

The Scribbler is a great starter bot. Too bad it's dead. You'll be hard pressed to make a better bot than that on your first try. I say continue to look for another one for 20-40 bucks as you make your own. And step on it! BTW, that means hurry, not repeat your last mistake. :)
    edited 2014-06-01 19:53
    There's nothing wrong with 'Robot'. , and your Robby has nothing to fear so long as that maiden is being taken to safety ..ive been playing with a prop and SimpleIDE, so ive been off track slightly. Before that i was doing similar things with the Arduino. Just getting an idea which to use soon !

ps. was there a film with both robot and robby ? :)
  • GenetixGenetix Posts: 1,748
    edited 2014-06-01 21:51
    Those capacitors are called electrolytic capacitors and they make much larger versions for use in power supplies.
    The value will be printed on the side and it should be in micro-Farads or uF.

Are you sure your Scribbler program isn't faulty? A bad program will cause it to do nothing.
    If I were you I wouldn't quit until I knew for sure that it was toast.
    edited 2014-06-02 00:06
    There was something rattling around inside the scribbler. I opened it up and checked all the wires were still firmly plugged in, had a good look around, found a small bolt that was ratterling around so removed it. didnt look like it belonged anywhere.

I used the basic stamp editor to download a "Hello I'm you Scribbler" and that output showing there is nothing wrong with the BS2 inside.

I want to now test the IR sensors and output what happens, can you write that code for me ?
    edited 2014-06-02 00:10
    These are the pics, they failed in the post above.
    640 x 480 - 92K
    640 x 480 - 87K
    640 x 480 - 75K
    edited 2014-06-02 06:29
    There's a factory reset/restore program somewhere that has many programs to test all Scribbler I/Os. Shockingly, I can no longer find any Scribbler support at Parallax.com. Ken?

It's available from the GUI and may also be on the Scribbler CD if you have that.

BTW, can you turn on the 3 green LEDs?
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2014-06-02 06:47
    Scribbler Startup Guide if you don't have it:

http://www.pololu.com/file/0J211/ScrbStart-UpGuide-v1.01.pdf