Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Open Propeller Project #3: Propeller IDE V0.1 Package Available - Page 12 — Parallax Forums

Open Propeller Project #3: Propeller IDE V0.1 Package Available

Comments

• jazzedjazzed Posts: 11,803
    edited 2014-02-24 11:44
    Roy Eltham wrote: »
    Here's a screenshot:

Ok, I remember seeing that now. As I recall it wasn't very useful to me at least because everything was in alphabetical order instead of order of appearance. Maybe there is a way to change that now days.

I see potential for getting rid of the left side bar entirely (at development time cost of course).

The way Qt works, such a "toolbar" would need to be in every editor for it to be visible under the tab names. Is there anything else that would be desirable in that area? Propeller has a radio button bar there, but I'm not much of a fan of that. Maybe another combo-box for similar selections.

At first glance (trying to prototype it) it seems like a big change for dealing with editors. The line-number thing is done in an unconventional way that allows preserving the simple QPlainTextEdit interface. Adding a "toolbar" would need to be done differently, and changes the editor interface by requiring a level of indirection.
  • mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2014-02-24 11:51
    quote_icon.png Originally Posted by mindrobots viewpost-right.png

I select the 'open file' icon and navigate to the .spin file i want to open, select it and click 'open' from this point on, PropellerIDE hangs in the case of the Mac, I just get the "Rainbow Wheel" and I need to force a quit. This is with the release version. I'll start the debug version from the console and see if there are any messages.

Rick, this is most likely happening because of the "save" bug which I fixed over the weekend. You need to replace whatever file you tried to open with a fresh one. Sorry. Please verify that works.

The file open/save problem may be a size issue.

Further testing:

This is all on Mac (osx 10.9.1)

Open existing, creating new, save, save appear to work fine EXCEPT:

from "untitled"
    Pasted in Tachyon code 3845 lines, 304kb in Finder
    Save as - gave location and name
    *rainbow wheel*
    Had to kill PropellerIDE

Opened "problem file" in another editor and saved into a new file
    Started PropellerIDE
    Opened the newly created file
    *rainbow wheel*
    Had to kill PropellerIDE
    (problem file attached)

***New Issue:

If you close a file (click x in tab), the data in the side panels remains for the closed file.
    (screenshot attached)
    Screen Shot 2014-02-24 at 2.34.16 PM.png

Hopefully, I can do more testign in teh next few hours.......
  • ctwardellctwardell Posts: 1,716
    edited 2014-02-24 12:13
    mindrobots wrote: »
    I've pulled the latest (pulled between 7AM ET and 10:30AM ET)and built for both Linux and Mac. In testing I see the same problem.

I select the 'open file' icon and navigate to the .spin file i want to open, select it and click 'open' from this point on, PropellerIDE hangs in the case of the Mac, I just get the "Rainbow Wheel" and I need to force a quit. This is with the release version. I'll start the debug version from the console and see if there are any messages.

I haven't gotten a chance to build a new Windows version yet.

Sounds like possibly an encoding issue:

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php/153921-Open-Propeller-Project-3-Propeller-IDE?p=1245459&viewfull=1#post1245459

C.W.
    edited 2014-02-24 12:22
    from "untitled"
    Pasted in Tachyon code 3845 lines, 304kb in Finder
    Save as - gave location and name
    *rainbow wheel*
    Had to kill PropellerIDE

Well now, that's your problem :) PropellerIDE is being picky :P

All joking aside ... Thanks for testing that.

Can you post your .spin file here so I can just open it and copy/paste?
    edited 2014-02-24 12:42
    jazzed wrote: »
    Well now, that's your problem :) PropellerIDE is being picky :P

Editor, not censoring tool! :smile:

To quote myself:

:innocent: I've stopped using programming languages with Garbage Collection, they keep deleting my source code!! :frown:

I guess I have to add Censoring Editors to my list!!

Can you post your .spin file here so I can just open it and copy/paste?

Um, yeah, I do that a lot at work with attachments!

These files open fine in SimpleIDE if that is any help.

Since encoding came up, I had Tincta encode this as UTF-16 even thought the original says it is UTF-16. I also was able to open up a much smaller file that was encoded in UTF-8. I took this smaller file and encoded it as Latin-1 and it loaded OK.

I"m thinking size matters for this one.
  • Roy ElthamRoy Eltham Posts: 3,000
    edited 2014-02-24 12:57
    Steve,
    With Visual Assist X, that pulldown can be sorted by appearance in file or alphabetical. Also, I would list PUBs and PRIs in this thing since it's used for navigation, obviously with completion PRI's of objects should be filtered.
  • dgatelydgately Posts: 1,629
    edited 2014-02-24 13:08

*rainbow wheel*

It's called the "SPOD". Or "spinning pinwheel of death". :cool:

Dgately
    edited 2014-02-24 13:21
    dgately wrote: »
    It's called the "SPOD". Or "spinning pinwheel of death". :cool:

Dgately

Whoa, dude, that REALLY harshes my Mac user experience.....I always thought it meant that the program went off to its happy place for a while. :smile:
  • fridafrida Posts: 155
    edited 2014-02-24 13:51
    The only thing is, that it will not save my new font, I have selected, it seems to be a monofont, for the formating to be good.
    And I would like to be able to change my Baudrate, and to cummunicate with my forth. Is it something with event/serial comm. that I have read about.
    Good job.
    edited 2014-02-24 14:09
    Rick, it is also known as a Beach Ball ...

In retrospect, I'm glad not many people liked the program name "Spiral" :)

frida wrote: »
    The only thing is, that it will not save my new font, I have selected, it seems to be a monofont, for the formating to be good.

That has to be added to the persistent settings.
    frida wrote: »
    And I would like to be able to change my Baudrate, and to cummunicate with my forth. Is it something with event/serial comm. that I have read about.

Sorry, but this will not be in the First Cut requirement version, as 115200 is as high as it will go across platforms with QExtSerialPort. The native Qt5 serial port library may allow it, but I don't plan to use that in the First Cut version.
    edited 2014-02-25 10:55
    Hi.

Some of you expressed interest in a Spin Auto-complete function.

I'm testing the code I wrote several years ago. I need a little help with icons though.

Icons? What does that mean?

One of the problems that comes up is being able to identify the type of symbol to be selected. In the QtCreator environment for example they use several icons to identify member types. Next to the "this->" Qt picture is a symbol meaning and current Spin equivalent.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=107159&d=1393353634attachment.php?attachmentid=107161&d=1393354450
    For a Spin Auto-complete we need a set of icons too. Just copying QtCreator or VisualStudio won't get it.

How would these be used? Obviously there is not a perfect mapping of functions and variables. The thought is that for anything in the current object, entering a dot by itself would reveal elements from all sections. Entering an obj name + dot would reveal the public elements of the object. So any time one of those things happen, you get a popup menu that lets you select what you would like to use and put it into the source.

My own attempt at an icon set was met by glazed looks from beginners and pros alike. Maybe you guys have better ideas?

Thanks in advance for any help.
    244 x 216 - 9K
    581 x 216 - 12K
    edited 2014-02-25 11:10
    So for an Obj, I look for the guy driving the tractor.
    ..and the PUB is a thought everyone can hear
    ..and a PRI is a thought only you can hear
    ...a CON is a Round Container
    ...and finally, a VAR appears to have some military connotations (or if it were within a circle, it could be satanic)

Makes sense to me!!

Can't we just borrow some and flip them over and change the colors?

Edit: I'll actually go looking for some that are safe....I just thought you wanted first impressions! :smile:
  • JonnyMacJonnyMac Posts: 9,061
    edited 2014-02-25 11:41
    Just copying QtCreator or VisualStudio won't get it.

Why not? -- where appropriate, of course. I like the icons in the far left column of that image; they seem to match well. Perhaps you adjust the shading to match Spin sectional colors, but the icons themselves are good. Very clean.

attachment.php?attachmentid=107161&d=1393354450

BTW, Steve, if this works out you're going to be owed many rounds of your favorite beverage!
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2014-02-25 11:52
    JonnyMac wrote: »
    Why not? -- where appropriate, of course. I like the icons in the far left column of that image; they seem to match well. Perhaps you adjust the shading to match Spin sectional colors, but the icons themselves are good. Very clean.

BTW, Steve, if this works out you're going to be owed many rounds of your favorite beverage!

Oh my, we have summoned the interest and input of a legendary Parallax programmer, formerly reigning as King of Stamps and most recently titled Baron of Propellers with potential ascendency to the throne and retitling as King of Propellers, AKA JonnyMac. Jon has been asking us for these kinds of features for many years and it is very exciting to see his requests possibly come true.

Ken Gracey
  • Roy ElthamRoy Eltham Posts: 3,000
    edited 2014-02-25 11:58
    I agree with JonnyMac on all accounts.

If you want, I can take a stab at recoloring/adjusting the Qt icons for Spin. I also have a huge pile of public domain/free icons like these that I saved off a while back from when I was searching for icons for a tool I was making for work. So I can pull from those too.

Also, for completion of local items, having to type a dot is bad, in my opinion. It should just kick in after a couple characters are typed (similar to how it works for VS or VAX). Typing the dot could be an alternate way to initiate it, but should be required.
  • ctwardellctwardell Posts: 1,716
    edited 2014-02-25 12:03

I agree on all counts. (edit, I swear I was typing this before I say Roy's reply!)

The Qt symbols seem close to those is VS2010, I would just create a set based on the Qt/VS ones, not a direct copy but a 're-interpretation' so to speak.

C.W.
    edited 2014-02-25 12:10
    Ken.

Maybe Jen can provide her interpretations later?

Meanwhile I'll keep what I have in a modified form as a subtle reminder that they need to change.
  • heichheich Posts: 26
    edited 2014-02-25 12:13

+1
    Agree with 'sensei' JonnyMac..

Regards!

P.D. The "open " problem reported early... not seem in Debian GNU..

Hector
    edited 2014-02-25 12:23
    As I'm not a C programmer (yet!), I haven't downloaded any of the Qt tools or source files -- maybe I should just to help out. As a person that loves the film and television industries, I pay particular attention to visuals. And features that aid in productivity without getting in the way of the programmer will always be championed by me, King of Hollywood! (of course, I'm kidding about that moniker -- still a very long way from the top of that heap).
    edited 2014-02-25 12:42
    As I'm not a C programmer (yet!), I haven't downloaded any of the Qt tools or source files -- maybe I should just to help out. As a person that loves the film and television industries, I pay particular attention to visuals. And features that aid in productivity without getting in the way of the programmer will always be championed by me, King of Hollywood! (of course, I'm kidding about that moniker -- still a very long way from the top of that heap).

I don't even play a C/C++ programmer on TV!! I've downloaded everything (several times in several places) so I can play along. I figure I can at least build and test.

King of Hollywood? That's nothing, I have friends(?) that have Sara Bareilles' "King of Anything" for my ringtone!! :lol:
    edited 2014-02-25 12:59
    Roy Eltham wrote: »
    I also have a huge pile of public domain/free icons like these that I saved off a while back from when I was searching for icons for a tool I was making for work. So I can pull from those too.
    Please do. I consider recoloring existing icons from another tool very close to theft.

For the moment, what I wrote a few years ago does dot, and that's it. We can change that later if you like.
    edited 2014-02-25 13:11
    I don't even play a C/C++ programmer on TV!

Oh, no, I could and WOULD happily take that job. In fact, a big part of my personal marketing effort is that I am in fact a tech-savvy guy.

I consider recoloring existing icons from another tool very close to theft.

I don't agree, but as you're programming this dude, I'm going to do what I can to help you find quality icons that you're comfortable using. Perhaps the collection Roy has is useful, and I found this link on line.

http://openiconlibrary.sourceforge.net/gallery2/?./Icons

The trick will be searching these large databases for something that makes sense, and matches the visual elegance of the rest of the project.

Sincere question: With Qt being the development tool for the project, aren't its icons fair game?
    edited 2014-02-25 13:23
    I don't agree, but as you're programming this dude, I'm going to do what I can to help you find quality icons that you're comfortable using. Perhaps the collection Roy has is useful, and I found this link on line.

http://openiconlibrary.sourceforge.net/gallery2/?./Icons

The trick will be searching these large databases for something that makes sense, and matches the visual elegance of the rest of the project.

Sincere question: With Qt being the development tool for the project, aren't its icons fair game?

Thanks for your support Jon. I agree that the elegance should be matched. One of the eventual goals is having that background-shading stuff that you guys enjoy so much. I think that some mix of those colors is very important.

I never saw an explicit license detail on the Qt autocomplete icons, so I must assume the copyrights are reserved.

For the time being, I'll use something as place holders. Finishing the prototype functionality is more important to me at the moment.
    edited 2014-02-25 13:54
    jazzed wrote: »
    Thanks for your support Jon. I agree that the elegance should be matched. One of the eventual goals is having that background-shading stuff that you guys enjoy so much. I think that some mix of those colors is very important.

I never saw an explicit license detail on the Qt autocomplete icons, so I must assume the copyrights are reserved.

For the time being, I'll use something as place holders. Finishing the prototype functionality is more important to me at the moment.

I just looked at Komodo (Perl/Python/PHP) IDE, it's pretty boring except for the fancy Icons for the main program and the executable, it is mostly just shapes and colors (green triangles, blue balls, squares, etc.) to indicate subroutines, variables, etc.
    edited 2014-02-25 18:23
    Ok Spinnyistas.

SpinSuggest (aka SpideySense, aka SpinSense, aka SPIN_AUTOCOMPLETE) has been pushed to the repository.

Here's a brief description of how to use it.
    SPIN_AUTOCOMPLETE works like this:
    - Press dot (.) in any non-comment area of the source to show
      OBJ, CON, PUB, PRI, VAR, and DAT references.
    - Press escape to not add any item listed.
    - Press dot (.) to add a dot.
    - Scroll to the item you want and press enter to add that item.
      Tab to select is not available at the moment. Later, "tab" may be used
      instead of enter if the cbAuto is a sub-class of QComboBox.

Coding option: If AUTOCON is defined, press # in the editor to show CON values.

Here is the Icon legend (until something better comes along).

attachment.php?attachmentid=107181&d=1393381325
    301 x 255 - 10K
    edited 2014-02-25 18:36
    I actually like your icons! I'm curious to see them at IDE scale. Guess I need to build some IDEs!
  • dgatelydgately Posts: 1,629
    edited 2014-02-25 20:52
    My .02$

newestAutoCompleteIcons.png

These are not yet sized correctly but are an alternative that uses some of the "intent" of other designs discussed with my own interpretation.

dgately
    397 x 445 - 46K
  • pedwardpedward Posts: 1,642
    edited 2014-02-25 21:33
    I think you should call it
    • SPINple IDE
    • SPINdle
    • SPINsIDE
    • SPINduino
    • SPIN 2 life
    • SPINup
    • SPINinit
    • SimpleSPIN
    • CriSPIN
    • Pineapple
    edited 2014-02-25 21:36
    For the love of all that's holy (and sensible), can we stop with the cute names?....
    edited 2014-02-25 22:17
    Dateline Tuesday, February 25th, 2014....

Spin Molecule Woos MCU Fans!

At long last, researchers have found the Spin Molecule which is know to share it's greatness and levity of purpose with all other micro-controller projects. The molecule, shown here at 2^31st power magnification, has been praised by scientists, politicians, entertainers, and little kids alike.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=107186&d=1393395190
    Tongue firmly in cheek. :p
    445 x 456 - 6K