Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Z80 anyone? — Parallax Forums

Z80 anyone?

xanatosxanatos Posts: 1,120
edited 2013-09-01 17:40 in General Discussion
I have 10 of these loaded boards, which were working when removed from service... about 15 years ago. Now, I need the card cage they were occupying, and I want the cards to go to a good home. Each has a socketed Z80 CPU, plus uarts, uv eproms and other stuff. Any Z80 fans here? :smile:
1024 x 576 - 132K
1024 x 576 - 108K
1024 x 576 - 125K
1024 x 576 - 115K
1024 x 576 - 138K

Comments

• Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    edited 2013-07-25 08:57
    Oh God yes!

Don't know if you are prepeared to ship one to Finland or how I would pay for that.

What are they actually?
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2013-07-25 09:25
    Absolutely!

How much do you want for one or two of them?

Jeff
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2013-07-25 09:28
    How about you slip one in the box when the BS2PX's come available ? :)
  • BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2013-07-25 09:39
    If I remember correctly Chris Savage is a "Z80 head".

Bean
  • ajwardajward Posts: 1,130
    edited 2013-07-25 12:07
    I would love to have one. I still have a couple of Z80 programming books on the shelf!

Amanda
  • xanatosxanatos Posts: 1,120
    edited 2013-07-25 12:08
    Well OK then... :-) Not sure what postage would be to Finland for one of these, but I'll find out. And I can be reimbursed for postage via PayPal to xanatos@xanatos.com if that's functional for folks.

I'll wait for Chris to chime in and then figure out postage and get back to everybody. In the meantime - those that wants 'em... please PM me with your shipping address.

FYI these were used to control HUGE - like the size of a VW - flatbed scanners that were used to send 300 lines-per-inch scans of the images on 16" x 30" platens back in the 1980s and early 90s. The scanners were on airbeds, which supported 700 lb granite block vibration-damping equipment bases, and had a massive 12-sided polygon mirror that created the scanning beam, along with huge "Field Flattening" lenses to compensate for the difference in focal length between the center and the edges of the scans. There were also acousto-optic modulators (which I also salvaged when these went out to pasture) that were responsible for making the corrections between the 12 different mirrors' slight variances from scan to scan.

All this stuff, including the PMTs, steppers, etc., were controlled by the Z80 boards pictured. They also interfaced to the TDMA Satellite system where we sent the images over what was Westar 5.

My how times have changed!

Addresses folks! :-)

Dave
    edited 2013-07-25 13:29
    xanatos wrote: »
    Well OK then... :-) Not sure what postage would be to Finland for one of these, but I'll find out. And I can be reimbursed for postage via PayPal to xanatos@xanatos.com if that's functional for folks.

I'll wait for Chris to chime in and then figure out postage and get back to everybody. In the meantime - those that wants 'em... please PM me with your shipping address.

FYI these were used to control HUGE - like the size of a VW - flatbed scanners that were used to send 300 lines-per-inch scans of the images on 16" x 30" platens back in the 1980s and early 90s. The scanners were on airbeds, which supported 700 lb granite block vibration-damping equipment bases, and had a massive 12-sided polygon mirror that created the scanning beam, along with huge "Field Flattening" lenses to compensate for the difference in focal length between the center and the edges of the scans. There were also acousto-optic modulators (which I also salvaged when these went out to pasture) that were responsible for making the corrections between the 12 different mirrors' slight variances from scan to scan.

All this stuff, including the PMTs, steppers, etc., were controlled by the Z80 boards pictured. They also interfaced to the TDMA Satellite system where we sent the images over what was Westar 5.

My how times have changed!

Addresses folks! :-)

Dave

Dave,

Looks like BS2PX are back in stock!!!!

If you want to send me all the Z80 boards, I'll take care of shipping them if you don't have the time. Seems I have a lot of time on my hands right now.

Jim
    edited 2013-07-25 13:36
    I get it. They are STD bus cards. A 56-pin bus that became the IEEE-961 standard.

We can see some RAM and ROM on there, plus a counter timer chip, plus a dual UART.
    edited 2013-07-25 13:49
    Heater. wrote: »
    I get it. They are STD bus cards. A 56-pin bus that became the IEEE-961 standard.

We can see some RAM and ROM on there, plus a counter timer chip, plus a dual UART.

Yea,

At first I thought they where 22/44 boards. I have cages for them. (22/44)
  • blittledblittled Posts: 681
    edited 2013-07-25 15:14
    Does this mean someone may end up doing a Z80/Propeller combo? I have a similar situation like xanatos. I worked for a company that made Z80 based assembly line inventory control computers and one day I rescued a box full of goodies including quite a few Z80As and Z80 support chips pulled out of repaired computers. I've been toying with the idea of doing a Z80/Propeller combo for awhile.
    edited 2013-07-25 15:32
    Check out the N8VEM project (google it). They were doing a lot of work on a Z80 computer and Propeller as peripherals.
    edited 2013-07-25 20:59
    blittled wrote: »
    Does this mean someone may end up doing a Z80/Propeller combo? I have a similar situation like xanatos. I worked for a company that made Z80 based assembly line inventory control computers and one day I rescued a box full of goodies including quite a few Z80As and Z80 support chips pulled out of repaired computers. I've been toying with the idea of doing a Z80/Propeller combo for awhile.

I'm really hoping we have enough horsepower in the P2 to do a full Z80 system in emulation. I've got an application where some inexpensive computers based on this could really be handy.
    BTW, the N8VEM project is pretty cool too.

Jeff
    edited 2013-07-25 23:48
    What kind of "full Z80 system" do you have in mind?
    edited 2013-07-26 08:55
    What kind of "full Z80 system" do you have in mind?

I need to be able to run Wordstar, load/save documents from SD using a keyboard and VGA monitor.

Jeff
    edited 2013-07-26 09:06
    Jeff,

Ah ha, you have not been paying attention over the years then;)

The ZiCog Z80 emulator has been running CP/M 2.2 and WordStar and BDSC and a lot of other stuff for some years now. Then there is the qz80 emulator from PullMoll which does all of that and more.

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php/110804-ZiCog-a-Zilog-Z80-emulator-in-1-Cog

Sorry I can't find PullMoll's threads just now.

Just now, after a long hiatus I'm trying get back into ZiCog. It needs making easy to use, documentation and getting ready fro Prop II.
    edited 2013-07-26 09:25
    Thought you guys were still using custom multiple Propeller/Memory configurations. At risk of further OTing this thread, what are the minimum hardware requirement to get this running? (I don't see it listed)

Jeff
    edited 2013-07-26 09:37
    Jeff,
    Thought you guys were still using custom multiple Propeller/Memory configurations.

Ah, you hit the nail on the head there.

As far as I know if you want 64K of memory for your Propeller CP/M system then you need some external RAM. And all such external RAM solutions are custom.

Cluso and I were happy cruising along on his TriBlade and RamBlade solutions. I believe DrAcula has other solutions.

Minimum requirement is:
    1) A single Propeller.
    2) 64K external RAM.
    3) SD card.

Given the normal serial port on your programming pins.

Item 3) is a pretty standardized set up

Item 2) is a bit more tricky and may require a RAM driver being created for whatever solution you have.
    edited 2013-07-26 09:55
    /moving to your thread with some questions...

This is most closer to reality for my applicaiton that I thought..
  • Dr_AculaDr_Acula Posts: 5,484
    edited 2013-07-28 01:41
    Hi Jeff

Quick overview on this website http://smarthome.jigsy.com/propeller

That is with latches and a parallel ram. Frogger and Space Invaders and Pacman are all running on Pullmoll's qz80 emulation.

Heater says that his Z80 emulation may not be quite perfect? After spending some time deep inside various Z80 emulations written in C/Basic etc, maybe there are some insights there that could be useful? I think there is an exerciser program written for the Spectrum emulator.

I have been designing some new boards. I want a board that can run most of the things I have worked on over the last few years - a simple propeller board plus all the complex stuff. Wish list:

* Keyboard
    * SD card - with several different footprints as sometimes module PCBs on ebay are cheaper than SD sockets
    * TV
    * VGA
    * Sound
    * Serial port
    * IC2 breakout with multiple voltages, for talking to I2C digital and analog IO chips
    * On board serial ram for running large C programs
    * Touchscreen (these are getting cheaper every month)
    * Some spare propeller pins brought to a header
    * 32 digital I/O pins - High, Low and HiZ

The above is great, but let's tempt heater a bit here. Let's also put a Z80 on the board, with the challenge to take the Zicog and run it from cache serial ram and replace most of the chips on the attached schematic *grin*

Ok, this board also has a real Z80 on it. I'm working through the code to boot it up at the moment. I think it could also be a stepping stone to getting a perfect Z80 emulation working. And I say perfect, because heater (correct me if I'm wrong) says that his emulation has not been 100% tested, and Pullmoll's seemed perfect for CP/M but it fell over when trying to run MP/M. So, for those with OCD, the Z80 emulation isn't quite there yet :)

What this board could do is enable a comparison between a real Z80 and an emulation. Run the emulation in the serial ram chip attached to P0-P3. You could load up a test program on the real Z80 chip and then compare results with an emulation. I suspect there could be the odd bug, because some of the DAA code I've seen in various emulations seems a lot longer than some other emulations.

Just to explain this schematic a little, two MCP23017 chips replace a physical parallel eeprom, and as a bonus, can also handle bank switching. Each bank of 64k has no direct comms to other banks, which is different to every other Z80 circuit out there, but it saves a few chips to send a message to a propeller saying "change banks". Messages can also be sent saying "move a block of data between banks". The catch is that the MCP23017 chips are slower because they are serial, so there is also an SPI interface between the Z80 and propeller. Data can come off the SD card and be transferred into the Z80 and the speed should be just a little slower than SD comms. Possibly similar if we push the clock frequency of the Z80 from 4Mhz to 10Mhz.

Of course, if you want a real Z80 chip, talk to xanatos!
    edited 2013-07-28 03:21
    Dr_A,

I'm going to reply to this in the ZiCog thread. Hang on a bit.
  • xanatosxanatos Posts: 1,120
    edited 2013-07-28 08:16
    Hey everybody,

I have addresses from OBC, ajward, heater and Publison. My project installs tomorrow, thank God, and after that I'll be getting things caught up on other fronts. If you're wanting a board - I'll need your address this week. I'll have shipping costs posted after send off the first one to Publison, who gets free shipping for helping me out with the BS2px crisis! :-)

Dave
    edited 2013-07-28 08:28
    xanatos wrote: »
    Hey everybody,

I'll have shipping costs posted after send off the first one to Publison, who gets free shipping for helping me out with the BS2px crisis! :-)

Dave

Thanks Dave,

That's very nice of you!

Jim
  • TorTor Posts: 2,010
    edited 2013-07-29 06:08
    I think it could also be a stepping stone to getting a perfect Z80 emulation working. And I say perfect, because heater (correct me if I'm wrong) says that his emulation has not been 100% tested, and Pullmoll's seemed perfect for CP/M but it fell over when trying to run MP/M. So, for those with OCD, the Z80 emulation isn't quite there yet
    But CP/M and MP/M aren't using any Z80 instructions, they're both fully 8080 compatible.. so (and I did notice the problem, had to switch to CP/M on my Dracboard) the MP/M problem must be not a Z80 emulation problem but an 8080 compatibility problem, if it's processor related at all.

-Tor
    edited 2013-07-29 06:54
    Tor,

But CP/M and MP/M aren't using any Z80 instructions
    That is not entirely true. My goal with ZiCog was to use the same CP/M BDOS and BIOS binaries as used by the SIMH Altair emulator.
    Turns out that in that code there is detection for whether it is running on 8080 or Z80. If Z80 is detected then at least the BIOS makes use of the block move instructions. I discovered a bug in that whilst swapping back and forth from 8080 to Z80 emulation and my patch is now in SIMH AltairZ80.

What that says about MP/M I have no idea.
  • TorTor Posts: 2,010
    edited 2013-07-29 08:34
    If Z80 is detected then at least the BIOS makes use of the block move instructions.
    Ah, yes, the BIOS could have Z80 instructions as the BIOS was always written with a particular target in mind. But then again the BIOS isn't strictly speaking part of CP/M (or MP/M) proper.. CP/M was the BDOS and CCP, and the BIOS was the per-target interface to the hardware. I don't know where the SIMH Altair BIOS came from, but I bet it wasn't from the original Altair.. Z80 CPU replacement boards came later.

So, if we replace the Z80 emulator with an 8080 emulator MP/M may run better? If indeed the problem is in the BIOS trying to execute Z80 instructions. Maybe we could exercise the BIOS itself stand-alone and try to figure out where the problem is?

-Tor
    edited 2013-07-29 11:43
    Yes indeed, the SIMH BIOS is custom made to run against the SIMH simulator. After all it does not have any real hardware interfaces to deal with. That turns out to be just fine for an emulation on the Prop as well.

I think you might be on to something re: MP/M and Z80.

I presume MP/M has some kind of timer tick interrupt. Currently ZiCog has no support for interrupts (except software interrupts). How qz80 handles this I have no idea.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2013-07-29 14:53
    Bean wrote: »
    If I remember correctly Chris Savage is a "Z80 head". Bean

Bean,

You have a good memory! Years ago I was totally into the Z80 and spent 1990-2000 making all kinds of cool things using them including some commercial endeavors. Sadly though in 2000 in an attempt to force myself to start picking up new technology and get out of my comfort/safe zone I sold all my Z80-related hardware via the usenet newsgroups and donated the books to the local library. The Z80 has been and will always be my friend, err, ahem, my favorite CPU platform, but I don't have anything Z80 related anymore.

I did the same thing with my Commodore stuff when Commodore went under and have been kicking myself since then. I miss both platforms (Z80 & C=).
    edited 2013-07-29 14:55
    @Chris,

What kind of Commodore stuff are you interested in? I've been adopting C= hardware for years and the herd could be thinned a little. :)

Jeff
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2013-07-29 16:58
    @Chris, What kind of Commodore stuff are you interested in? I've been adopting C= hardware for years and the herd could be thinned a little. :) Jeff

Jeff,

I used to be the go-to guy in Schenectady/Albany New York area for Comodore stuff, repairs, mods, etc. But in 2000 I gave all my hardware away to a Commodore User Group that has since vanished and every once in awhile I get the itch to play around, but at the prices they're going for on eBay for a working unit I just can't do it. I've offered to trade hardware too, but it's amazing how much a C=64 is worth to some. ;) I think it was around 30 Commodore computers I gave away in 2000, 20 of which were C=64. The rest were Amiga (including a 1200) and even a C= Plus 4 I had acquired. But the C=64 will always have its place in life and heart, even if I regret walking away.

P.S. - I liked your original avatar with the butterknife better. :innocent:
    edited 2013-07-29 17:56
    @Chris,

I've decided to quit starring at that huge shelf in my shop with a bunch of systems that are just collecting dust. It's time to either get them up and running or find homes for them...

I put the Sun Spac 10 on Ebay tonight (being one of the units I haven't touched in 10 years.) As I pull machines off the shelf and get them tested, (might take me a bit) I'll make sure I set aside a C=64 for you.

If you want real fun from it, get a uIEC adapter from my friend Jim Brain. In lue of that, there was a neat C64 Tape project on here some time ago.

Jeff