Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Z80 anyone? - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

Z80 anyone?

2»

Comments

• blittledblittled Posts: 681
    edited 2013-07-29 19:03
    Jeff,

What would you sell a C64 for? Sadly I had a nice collection and I had a niece that was interested in it so I lent it to her but I guess my sister thought I gave it to her since when my niece lost interest my sister sold it at a garage sale without asking if I wanted it back. Ouch! Oh well at the time I really didn't have the room to take it back but now I do :(
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2013-07-29 21:04
    @blittled,

Let me start sorting out what I have that still works and I'll report back.. I've a bunch of C64's, a few power supplies, (and a ton of other stuff) but I don't know what is what right now. It's stacked in a 8x4x4 space right now. I'll start picking through it.

Jeff
  • frank freedmanfrank freedman Posts: 1,982
    edited 2013-07-29 21:16
    Was this stuff made by GSI or were you associated with GSI? Sounds like their kind of stuff. Still a lot of film based hardcopy stuff out there in the medical field GSI (as Siemens Digicam, few sales, rarely seen) Kodak, Agfa et. al. Fun to play with and maintain especially when someone tweeks the laser/AO assembly. The galvos would be fun to play with if they and any driver boards are still around.

Guess it is all just a matter of size and power.

FF
    xanatos wrote: »
    Well OK then... :-) Not sure what postage would be to Finland for one of these, but I'll find out. And I can be reimbursed for postage via PayPal to xanatos@xanatos.com if that's functional for folks.

I'll wait for Chris to chime in and then figure out postage and get back to everybody. In the meantime - those that wants 'em... please PM me with your shipping address.

FYI these were used to control HUGE - like the size of a VW - flatbed scanners that were used to send 300 lines-per-inch scans of the images on 16" x 30" platens back in the 1980s and early 90s. The scanners were on airbeds, which supported 700 lb granite block vibration-damping equipment bases, and had a massive 12-sided polygon mirror that created the scanning beam, along with huge "Field Flattening" lenses to compensate for the difference in focal length between the center and the edges of the scans. There were also acousto-optic modulators (which I also salvaged when these went out to pasture) that were responsible for making the corrections between the 12 different mirrors' slight variances from scan to scan.

All this stuff, including the PMTs, steppers, etc., were controlled by the Z80 boards pictured. They also interfaced to the TDMA Satellite system where we sent the images over what was Westar 5.

My how times have changed!

Addresses folks! :-)

Dave
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2013-07-30 09:03
    @Chris, I've decided to quit starring at that huge shelf in my shop with a bunch of systems that are just collecting dust. It's time to either get them up and running or find homes for them...

I put the Sun Spac 10 on Ebay tonight (being one of the units I haven't touched in 10 years.) As I pull machines off the shelf and get them tested, (might take me a bit) I'll make sure I set aside a C=64 for you. If you want real fun from it, get a uIEC adapter from my friend Jim Brain. In lue of that, there was a neat C64 Tape project on here some time ago. Jeff

Jeff,

I do remember the Tape Project, but as I understand it there are a bunch of storage solutions available now for those not lucky enough to have a working 1541. I guess we better let this thread get back on topic, so just contact when you have something and we'll go from there. Thanks again!
  • xanatosxanatos Posts: 1,120
    edited 2013-08-03 09:37
    My Tank Farm project is installed and running (!!!! :-) :-) :-) Happy Camper!!!!), so I am now starting to ship out the Z80 boards... watch your mail boxes, and I'll also PM you when I send your set.

Dave
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2013-08-03 09:48
    Congrats Dave.

Hope all the lost hair was worth the hassles. :)

Jim
    edited 2013-09-01 17:13
    OK, everyone who sent me their address should now have two Z80 boards. I have 2 left if anyone wants them!

Dave
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2013-09-01 17:34
    Got'em! Looks like an almost complete Z80 computer.. Reminds me very much of the N8VEM board.

Thanks!
    edited 2013-09-01 17:40
    OBC you have a PM on these... :-)

Dave