Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Very old Milinst Stambug — Parallax Forums

Very old Milinst Stambug

Carol HazlettCarol Hazlett Posts: 312
edited 2013-08-15 13:44 in BASIC Stamp
I have one of the old Stambugs made by Milford Instruments in the early 1990s. I still have everything, including software and programming cable and the robot still works though it is walking backwards instead of forwards. I tried to use the old software but it will not work on my Window 7 64 bit machine even in Windows 98 compatibility mode. I tried the current IDE but it says it no longer communicates with the Basic Stamp ver 0. Does anybody have an idea how I might talk to this board. The Basic Stamp circuitry is built into the board so I can't just replace it and I would like to keep it as is if I could.
860 x 816 - 73K
1024 x 723 - 71K

Comments

• ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2013-07-12 16:21
    Oh, you don't want that old thing. Those emit gamma radiation. VERY bad for your skin. Get rid of it! I can help you out, there is an approved disposal site near me. Please get it in the mail to me ASAP and I'll take care of it for you...

WANT! Never seen one of those. A neat little piece of history there IMO. Please share some video of that when you can.

I wonder if the old DOS version of the editor might work for you. Parallax doesn't officially support it, but I (and probably others) have copies. You might need to dig up an old monochrome laptop with a floppy drive!
    edited 2013-07-12 16:26
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2013-07-12 16:36
    It looks as if the programming interface is TTL instead of RS-232. Not sure if it is BS1 or BS2-based.
  • Carol HazlettCarol Hazlett Posts: 312
    edited 2013-07-12 16:44
    Ha Ha erco! I have had it since it was new. I'll put up a video of it walking. Made another robot using the same design out of Minds-I parts, Ping and an Arduino. Here is a link to that on my You Tube channel http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qn_-Aw034Po&feature=c4-overview&list=UUfveeuCAWNnt_YoNEp4e3aw. I have a DOS machine that still works, guess I'll drag it out and hook it up.
    edited 2013-07-12 16:47
    Chris, supposedly from what I have researched it was the very first stamp made by Parallax. I am not sure of this but I keep finding reference to that.
    edited 2013-07-12 16:54
    Hi erco, I checked out your videos. Some of them had the a newer version of the old bug but were buried in other stuff on top of them so you don't see the bug very well. None of them are sold anymore.
    edited 2013-07-12 17:25
    Carol: You have a rockin' Youtube channel! Love all your stuff, keep up the excellent work!
  • SapphireSapphire Posts: 496
    edited 2013-07-12 18:19
    Carol,

Looking at your photos, it is most likely a BS1 because there is a 3-pin programming header (next to the <<<) and the 18-pin DIP chip is the OEM BS1. If you have the source code, you might be able to replace the chip with a current BS1 OEM chip and then the editor should work. You'll also need a BS1 serial programming adapter.
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2013-07-12 19:30
    Would swapping the servo leads reverse the direction it travels?
    edited 2013-07-12 20:20
    Good call Duane. Worth a try to swap the L/R servo wires. It might reverse direction, or it might just mess up the gait altogether. I'm guessing the latter is more likely, but it's worth a quick shot.

Maybe if you swapped L/R AND added a servo reverser to the middle legs, which probably controls the lean.

But I think that programming that BS1 old school with a 1992 Compaq LTE laptop, DOS, a floppy disk, and a REAL serial port is the bee's knees. You up to the task, Miss Carol? :)
    edited 2013-07-13 11:19
    I dug out an old laptop which has Windows 98 and real DOS! It also has all those good old ports like a parallel and db9. Since it had a 3-1/2 floppy drive I could download the Stamp software directly off the original disk, I still have the Basic Stamp manual for the DOS version of the IDE. (I throw nothing away) so I'm ready to go. I found my backward walking problem and it wasn't in the software. The original bug came with HitecHS-300 servos and for some reason (I don't remember) I swapped out the middle leg for a futaba. They move in opposite directions! I have some HitecHS-300s in my servo collection so I will put one in. Video soon!
    edited 2013-07-15 15:05
    Chris, supposedly from what I have researched it was the very first stamp made by Parallax. I am not sure of this but I keep finding reference to that.

Well if it's a BS1 you should be able to program it on a new PC with our USB to Serial adapter (#28031) and the BS1 serial adapter (#27111). The newest (current) version of the BASIC Stamp Editor should work just fine with that hardware combination.
    edited 2013-07-15 17:51
    I have tried that. I have the adapter and the BS1 adapter. The IDE gives me the message that it no longer supports the "BS0". The old DOS setup I am using right now works fine. I want to adjust the walk a little and then I will post a video of it.
    edited 2013-07-16 06:17
    A BS-0? I must have this BS-0! No BS! :)

Let me know if you ever want to sell that Stamp Bug, Carol. I still say it's bad mojo. Get rid of it. Save yourself!
    edited 2013-07-16 12:09
    I have tried that. I have the adapter and the BS1 adapter. The IDE gives me the message that it no longer supports the "BS0". The old DOS setup I am using right now works fine. I want to adjust the walk a little and then I will post a video of it.

Carol,

Please use the DOS software to get the firmware version. If it is not V1.4 this could be why this is happening. If that is the case a simple solution would be the replace the DIP interpreter chip with a new one.
    edited 2013-07-16 13:50
    If that is the case a simple solution would be the replace the DIP interpreter chip with a new one.

AAACK! That's heresy! Must retain the original hardware at all costs! Therein lies its appeal!

Would you paint a modern dress on the Mona Lisa?

Would you gut a Victrola phonograph to install an iPod?

Never! For the love of Chip and all that's holy, please retain the stock configuration!
    edited 2013-07-16 16:12
    erco wrote: »
    AAACK! That's heresy! Must retain the original hardware at all costs! Therein lies its appeal!

I guess you better hope that DOS box never fails then. =)
    erco wrote:
    Would you paint a modern dress on the Mona Lisa?

Many classic paintings have been restored using moden technology.
    erco wrote:
    Would you gut a Victrola phonograph to install an iPod?

That's been done! Jukeboxes, old console sets. People love the retro look but need functionality as well.
    edited 2013-07-16 17:08
    That don't make it right...!

Or as Jeff Goldblum said in JP2: "Just because you can doesn't mean that you should...!"

And there's no conceivable shortage of DOS computers. There's one or two in every closet/garage/attic of every house in America.
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    edited 2013-07-16 17:39
    I remember finding some pics of this little bot a while back. What a cool little bot. Glad you have one Carol - Don't let erco sweet talk you!

Of course if you ever want to donate it the the church...
    edited 2013-07-16 17:56
    Whit wrote: »
    Of course if you ever want to donate it the the church...

No, no, no. In addition to emitting gamma radiation, those early Stamp Bugs are all posessed by demons. 'Tis fit neither for Carol nor church. As I said earlier, I have a disposal site near me where the demons can be exorcized... the only fit place for those accursed things. Get thee behind me, Stamp Bug!
    edited 2013-07-16 19:11
    @erco - You know, this might be a cool project kit for the Retro BASIC Stamp One idea that Ken floated a while back. It really is a neat and simple idea and looks impressive too! Phil Pilgrim was working on something like this at one time...

@carol - I second erco's comments about your youtube channel. It is fantastic. You are one robot-building-woman! Keep up the great work.

Here is some interesting old info I found on the Dallas Personal Robotics Group site - http://list.dprg.org/archive/1998-August/006377.html
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2013-07-16 23:08
    Carol, that's the second revision of the StampBug (BS1 chipset). The first version was made with brass tubes and was very difficult to build. Tubes had to be cut, filed round, and soldered together. Here's a picture of the first generation:

Robot Banner - StampBug.jpg

The first version of this style of robot actually came from a SoCal robotics club - I forget the name of the designer, but it was the "club robot" design. Just like the Penguin's inspiration was David Buckley's walkers, there's usually a predecessor to these ideas.

Looks like everybody is helping you get this programmed, but if there's anything you need from Parallax just drop me a message. We're happy to support this15 year-old product with a programming adapter or whatever else you may need. Chris could also dig up the code from our network, too.
    500 x 150 - 13K
    edited 2013-07-17 09:44
    edited 2013-07-17 11:15
    Bucket list item: I can't die happy until I get a Toddler AND a Stamp Bug.

Maybe a gold AND a blue Toddler AND a Stamp Bug 1 AND a Stamp Bug 2.

I don't need anything else.

I need this chair. And this remote.

But I'd trade it all for a plaid thermos.
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2013-07-17 11:22
    Bucket list item.

I can't die happy until I get a Toddler AND a Stamp Bug.

But I'd trade it all for that thermos.

The world's last remaining Toddlers sit in my office at Parallax. There must be about five or six left, but they slowly disappear because they're not under lock-down. And these are the USA-made versions with the 3-axis ball mill CNC-manufactured legs. Parallax paid $17 a piece for these legs - they're amazing! There was a short period of time when we made cast aluminum legs in China, but they looked cruddy to me in comparison so we brought it all back to the homeland. This took away about $60 of margin from the kit, but the improvement in quality was worth the cost to us!

Now that I know your "currency" I'll have to figure out what I need from you, erco!

Just dug up a few photos. These are the Chinese Toddler legs - they look shiny (and they are) but the precision was lacking. A close look revealed the sand-cast pock marks that kept me awake at night with robo-guilt.

ToddlersMarching.jpg

The full CNC legs are more muted, a clear anodized coating. But they're precise, which was important to eliminate slop in this robot.

toddler_blue.gif

I better get back to work before the Parallax crew spots me spending too much time on the forums....
    500 x 375 - 57K
    200 x 280 - 16K
    edited 2013-07-17 11:28
    Excellent call, Big Guy. And don't forget who found you that coveted Twinkle Toe accessory you needed, from Hobby Engineering! :)

http://www.hobbyengineering.com/H1695.html

Off-topic, Ken, you need to play more. Might you or another Parallaxian consider fielding an entry into Jameco's robot contest?

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php/149182-Jameco-Robot-Design-Contest
    edited 2013-07-17 16:39
    Bucket list item: I can't die happy until I get a Toddler AND a Stamp Bug.

But I'd trade it all for a plaid thermos.

To get all that stuff, you'd need to invent something really great, maybe...

opti_grab_the_glasses_handle_stationery-ra3b53258c74744fa9c77d7de48f04bf1_vg6ke_8byvr_512.jpg
    edited 2013-07-17 16:58
    Ken Gracey wrote: »
    The world's last remaining Toddlers sit in my office at Parallax. There must be about five or six left, but they slowly disappear because they're not under lock-down.

After reading this...
    Toddlers = Toddlers - 1

...or for you Propellerheads:
    Toddlers--

edited 2013-07-17 20:20
    Toddlers=Toddlers-1 ?

AAACCCKKK!!!

BTW I am pleased to report that a very kind soul offered me an UNBUILT Stamp Bug v1.1 today. This forum is full of wonderful people!

I didn't take the offer right away (too many projects) but I kinda have it in my back pocket, for when I have time. So I won't mention that kind soul's name, lest someone hound them mercilessly for said Stamp Bug!
    edited 2013-07-17 21:58
    In the words of Napoleon Dynamite, "Lucky!"