Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Quadrovers. The Final Chapter. - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

Quadrovers. The Final Chapter.

Comments

• TinkersALotTinkersALot Posts: 535
    edited 2013-07-09 12:43
    That would be fun for chasing the coyotes off the lot. How can I get one of these beasties?
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2013-07-09 13:18
    kfurem wrote: »
    if she shipping costs are ok, I would take a couple of them.

Let's not get greedy now...
    edited 2013-07-09 13:24
    Def get one to SteveWoodrough, our forum RoboMagellan guru! http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php/144101-Robo-Magellan?p=1194215&viewfull=1#post1194215 as long as he promises to field it at the next (?) RoboMagellan contest.
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2013-07-09 13:33
    erco wrote: »
    Def get one to SteveWoodrough, our forum RoboMagellan guru! http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php/144101-Robo-Magellan?p=1194215&viewfull=1#post1194215 as long as he promises to field it at the next (?) RoboMagellan contest.

Capital idea Sir erco!

These are items that fit on the Control Board:

Not sure if the GPS (28146) is available.
    (Seems Parallaxdirect.com may have some http://www.parallaxdirect.com/cart/index.php?l=cart_view)

H48C- maybe staoc ? http://www.parallaxdirect.com/cart/catalog/Parallax-28026-Hitachi-H48C-Tri-Axis-Accelerometer-Module-236.html

H
    M55B No stock found

Maybe we can design a new board to incorporate newer devices. I'm sure a few of the QR have been relieved of their boards for warranty service.
  • Matt GillilandMatt Gilliland Posts: 1,406
    edited 2013-07-09 14:02
    Here's pics of what we've dug out so far...

100_6456.jpg
    100_6458.jpg
    100_6459.jpg
    100_6460.jpg
    100_6461.jpg
    100_6462.jpg
    100_6463.jpg
    100_6464.jpg
    100_6466.jpg

It looks like two complete - or very nearly complete - QR's plus one that needs a motor, and maybe some wheel assemblies? Tires and other misc accessories.

By my (rough) count it looks like 2 and 7/8 QR's and spare tires, brackets, thing-a-ma-jigs.

This may be the extent of what we've got left...

-MattG
    1024 x 768 - 80K
    1024 x 768 - 75K
    1024 x 768 - 68K
    1024 x 768 - 92K
    1024 x 768 - 96K
    1024 x 768 - 83K
    1024 x 768 - 86K
    1024 x 768 - 126K
    1024 x 768 - 93K
    edited 2013-07-09 14:40
    Here's pics of what we've dug out so far...

100_6456.jpg
    100_6458.jpg
    100_6459.jpg
    100_6460.jpg
    100_6461.jpg
    100_6462.jpg
    100_6463.jpg
    100_6464.jpg
    100_6466.jpg

It looks like two complete - or very nearly complete - QR's plus one that needs a motor, and maybe some wheel assemblies? Tires and other misc accessories.

By my (rough) count it looks like 2 and 7/8 QR's and spare tires, brackets, thing-a-ma-jigs.

-MattG

Wow! I thought there were like 5 or 6. That makes the question even harder...who get's 'um. ?

I'll ebay all the misc stuff for you if you want.

EDIT: Looks like one is missing a Control Board. Certainly no one can make it work without it. ....I have one. :)
    edited 2013-07-09 16:49
    What a difference a letter or two makes. When I first saw this thread's title yesterday, I was concerned, because I thought it read "QuadRotors, the final chapter", as if someone had gotten seriously injured from a flying Quadrotor and Parallax was pulling the plug. Matt, insert your story here!

A year ago, there was a confusing thread where the terms PING and PINK were used interchangeably and no one knew what the heck was going on. PING = ultrasonic sensor PINK = Parallax InterNet Kit (IIRC)
  • W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,010
    edited 2013-07-09 18:57

-MattG

It's good that all the rest have found homes. I thought there were more available, I'm glad that there are not a bunch of them to "dispose" of.

I'm interested in the incomplete one - and whatever thing-a-ma-jigs that are of no use to the other two.
  • TtailspinTtailspin Posts: 1,326
    edited 2013-07-09 19:19
    What kind of milage do these things get? Just strap on a bigger gas tank, get the GPS + Compass software squared away.
    And there you go, shipping is a non issue...

erco, Maybe you could PM your shipping address to MattG.. Oh, and maybe the code for the gps/compass thing too...:innocent:
    I'm sure it could be done with a BS1...

-Tommy
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    edited 2013-07-09 19:46
    Great photos Matt - boxes full of fun...
  • NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
    edited 2013-07-09 20:02
    I would like to take whatever Matt is willing to send me. If you want to send all or partial I will pay for freight. This would be a great item for me to donate/work on with the local Boys Club. And as I said before, I would also be willing to make a donation to a Charity of Matt or Parallax's choice.

EDIT: Matt, If they do not end up coming my way, is there any way to get the Schematics and or parts list for this? I would love to build one or more with some of the local kids at the Boys/Girls club down the road from me. I have been working with them for the past few months and I think they are ready for something bigger and better. I have a machine shop as one of my permanent clients that has graciously offered some of us the use of their equipment (some of the older milling machines and lathes, not the nice fancy expensive stuff) as long as the equipment is not tied up on a job.
  • Adam WieslerAdam Wiesler Posts: 81
    edited 2013-07-10 07:40
    I go to a High School that currently offers VEX as the most advanced robotics. I have been working with our physics teacher to get some tools/work on projects for the physics classes. A Quadrover would be a huge help in getting a foot in the door for something a bit bigger than what we have, along with "coolness" factor that would help get more students interested in robotics in general. (I'm thinking a chalkbot style attachment for football games would be pretty neat!)

If we could be considered for even just one of the quads, I'm sure we could find funds to get it/them shipped to us.

Thanks,
    Adam
    edited 2013-07-10 08:31
    I would not want to be Matt, having to select the WORTHY from the NOT in this case. It's a lose/lose situation!

IMO it's a great thought that these things go to schools/colleges for education. But given that they are gasoline-fueled (requiring garage storage, outdoor access and proper ventilation) and somewhat dangerous, they may not be the ideal "first platform" for beginners rushing through a lesson before heading off to gym class.
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2013-07-10 10:37
    erco wrote: »
    IMO it's a great thought that these things go to schools/colleges for education. But given that they are gasoline-fueled (requiring garage storage, outdoor access and proper ventilation) and somewhat dangerous, they may not be the ideal "first platform" for beginners rushing through a lesson before heading off to gym class.

Good thoughts erco. So ideally it/they should go to someone with an education background who is also active in robotics? Who could take care of the maintenance of the robot and bring it to the school when needed (such as to a robotics club). Who could such a person be?

C'est Moi

certSmall.jpg

I know our local high-school has a robotics club. I had been meaning to volunteer to help with it in the fall (I really miss interacting with high school aged kids). I'll certainly commit to doing so as a condition of receiving a QR.

I don't currently teach high school. I'm a volunteer with the local Cub Scout Pack and I intend to be a robotics merit badge counselor but I doubt I'll make my planned robotics school an official BSA event since I want females to feel welcome to attend.
    1024 x 792 - 66K
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2013-07-10 10:43
    I think I am a good candidate for receiving a Quadrover. I'm a heavy user of Propeller GCC, and I'm in the process of converting the EDDIE robot code base to PropGCC. But I'm not going to stop there: I will extend the project to work with all differential drive robots so that users can combine the strengths of a Propeller with the power of embedded ARM.

The Quadrover is the perfect complement to this project, and will provide a great demonstration platform for the power of the Propeller and PropGCC. With the Quadrover, I will be able to showcase what Parallax's newest software suite is really able to do.

While the Quadrover is a great start, the real benefit will come when the tested code base works on a wide variety of robots, from the small to large. Developing with the Quadrover helps improve this process and helps publicize PropGCC and Parallax.

In addition, I like helping out and mentoring. I've mentored a FIRST robotics team at my local high school, I've been a resident advisor for college Engineering freshmen, and I've led the student chapter of IEEE (including Boy Scout Merit Badge Day with electronics). Any visibility that I generate with the Quadrover will be reflected in such venues.

Thanks for the consideration.
  • al-spideral-spider Posts: 42
    edited 2013-07-10 10:44
    Wow i though i wiuld never have the chance to get a Quadrover when they all gone .
    can i please please be conserdered to receive one or two or anything to work with this would be the
    biggest thing that could ever happen in this town to be able teach and learn advance robotic my kids well go nuts and so will I
    WHAT DO WE HAVE TO DO GET IN ON THE LIST WHAT WHAT WHAT PLEASE PLEASE , WHAT EVER YOU ASK WELL DO TO RECEIVE ONE!!!
    MAN THIS IS A BIG DEAL JUST TO HAVE A CHANCE TO GET A "QUADROVER ARE YOU KIDDING ME !? MAN
  • DocThomasDocThomas Posts: 31
    edited 2013-07-10 10:49
    I could use them they would fit in great in my plan for world domination. Probably should not have let that slip out. Someone just kicked in the door got to go.
    edited 2013-07-10 12:47
    Given that are only two semi complete units left, I would think there were a couple of learnings centers that Ken has been working with, that would benifit of a donation.

As much as all of us would love to have one, Ken could probably put them to better use.
    edited 2013-07-10 14:19
    Hot Dang! I lit a fire, and now I'm gonna get burned - no matter what the decision is...

YOU-ALL HAVE MADE THIS AN IMPOSSIBLE DECISION -I'M DOOMED NO MATTER WHAT I DO.

Therefore, I've decided to NOT DECIDE. Let's visit this again in another Six Months.

I'm Afraid To Make A Decision --- Oh, my, What shall I do???

-Fraidy-Cat-MattG
  • NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
    edited 2013-07-10 15:41
    Ahha, You were just teasing us all along to see if you could get our hopes up!!!!! Six months, why, that's Christmas..... And wouldn't one look awesome under my Christmas tree???
    edited 2013-07-10 16:49
    Hot Dang! I lit a fire, and now I'm gonna get burned - no matter what the decision is...

YOU-ALL HAVE MADE THIS AN IMPOSSIBLE DECISION -I'M DOOMED NO MATTER WHAT I DO.

Therefore, I've decided to NOT DECIDE. Let's visit this again in another Six Months.

I'm Afraid To Make A Decision --- Oh, my, What shall I do???

-Fraidy-Cat-MattG
    edited 2013-07-10 17:33
    Phew! At any rate, I can rest easy since (unlike everyone else here, those without 10K posts) I never even wanted one and it would really upset me if Matt secretly shipped one right to my front door (or briar patch). That would REALLY make me mad.

I forbid it, Matt!
  • jdoleckijdolecki Posts: 726
    edited 2013-07-11 09:26
    Looks like I going to have to make him and offer he cant refuse!
    edited 2013-07-11 09:26
    Here I am again - The Heartbreaker...

No matter what the decision, all but one of you will be disappointed.

One will be so happy.

...or maybe not so happy,

maybe BESET UPON BY AN ANGRY MOB!!!

Yep, it's no longer my problem, because you can now set your sights upon...

oh! Look at the clock?! It's break time... Back in a while.

-MattG
    edited 2013-07-11 13:10
    Matt: Send it to me and you will achieve your elusive yet much-ballyhooed 100% disappointment rate!

Otherwise, two of us will be happy.
    edited 2013-07-12 09:54
    You know if it we're up to me, I give one to all of you.

But that's part of the reason that they don't let me run things here ;-)

The judge(s) have weighed in, and determined that the "Quadrover Problem" now belongs to Publison.

I do like the idea of having some kids' museums getting some robotic visitation rights as well as erco's suggestion about Steve's waypoint navigation abilities (publicity is always welcome here:)

Sorry to disappoint all but one of you, but now the ability to disappoint all of you again rests with Publison ;-)

-MattG
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2013-07-12 10:24
    I like that decision much more than no decision.

Congratulations Jim!
  • mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2013-07-12 10:32
    Matt,

Once again, your decisive powers are flawless!

Congratulation, Jim!!
    edited 2013-07-12 11:23
    You know if it we're up to me, I give one to all of you.

But that's part of the reason that they don't let me run things here ;-)

The judge(s) have weighed in, and determined that the "Quadrover Problem" now belongs to Publison.

I do like the idea of having some kids' museums getting some robotic visitation rights as well as erco's suggestion about Steve's waypoint navigation abilities (publicity is always welcome here:)

Sorry to disappoint all but one of you, but now the ability to disappoint all of you again rests with Publison ;-)

-MattG
    Th

Thanks Matt and Parallax for dumping it on me :) Happy to do it.

As I said I will take on the responsibility for distribution of parts. The first thing I will do is take inventory, and see what is in working condition. The next step is to contact Parallax for part numbers for the items that are missing, and try to source them.

I look at all the misc items as being ebay items, which I can use the monies to donate to charities of Parallax's choice, but I would probably offer them on the forums first.
  • ratronicratronic Posts: 1,451
    edited 2013-07-12 11:53
    Very good decision Matt!