Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Quadrovers. The Final Chapter. — Parallax Forums

Quadrovers. The Final Chapter.

Matt GillilandMatt Gilliland Posts: 1,406
edited 2013-07-30 17:11 in Robotics
Hey all -
Before you say it, I will..."Yes, we're re-visiting the disposition of the much bally-hooed and treasured "Quadrovers"...

As you recall - in our last episode - I was charged with the disbursement (in which I epic-ly failed) of the remaining machines to various selectively chosen Forumistas - you may have been one of those.

However, we ran into a governmental taxation issue, which required the "1099ing" of the recipients of said QR's. Hence, "All Systems Stop", because the recipient would have to pay Sam to receive what he got.

So, now we've come to the end of another fiscal year, and there they sit - it's so sad to see them gathering dust - I'd take them in a heartbeat, but my normally Lovely and Gracious "MissesG" would throw a conniption fit. Those fits are not pleasant - must be avoided at all cost.

So, so now they've been "expensed" - whatever that means - from the Company's Books.

So, so, so now we've got a pile to get rid of - and it'll only cost you the actual price of shipping (they'll be on a pallet - maybe two)

There is NO WARRANTY, NO RETURNS, and NO WHINING about any of it "not working".

Pictures of them on Pallet(s) will be forthcoming in the next day or so in this thread.

Tell us why you think you're the best "NEW HOME" for these beauties.

NO runs, NO drips, NO errors, NO 1099's (they're considered "junk" to us now)

So while we're palletizing - why should YOU get them?

(All decisions made by the Judge(s) are final. No animals were harmed in the production of this Forum Thread).

-MattG

Comments

• RobotWorkshopRobotWorkshop Posts: 2,307
    edited 2013-07-08 14:40
    I don't know how many Quadrovers are left but it would be awesome to get just one of them. Why? Well to preserve it as a working example with the rest of the collection of interesting and sometimes obscure robots I've revived over the years. It would be the first gas powered robot in the bunch and would feel right at home with all the other robots here. I'm sure my wife won't have any issues with me covering shipping for the beast. It would be fun to get one running.

Robert
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2013-07-08 14:46
    I also would like one.

Isn't Quadrover the prize for Project of the Week?

attachment.php?attachmentid=102678&d=1373320027

Yea, I didn't think so.

Okay I've got more. . .

I've been gathering ideas to hold a robotics class for neighborhood kids. As part of my plan for the class, I'm going to demonstrate a variety of robots. A Quadrover would be a great demo robot and I'm sure it would make the difference between children excelling in school and life or ending up in juvenile hall (think of the children).

I know enough about the Propeller and sensors to add some really cool stuff to the Quadrover. I'd document my upgrade efforts here on the forum (as I have done with many of my projects).

Okay, I'm running out of ideas. Did I mention the children?

Oh, one more. What better way to sing praises to an unsung hero than with a Quadrover(besides the free sensors Parallax already gave me)?

Okay, I'm really done this time (for now). (There are just so many reason why it should be me, it's hard to think of them all at once.)

Edit: This is like a job application where you're supposed to brag, right? Otherwise I'm going to feel like a chump.
    313 x 98 - 23K
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2013-07-08 14:53
    I wish I was still affiliated with the Children's Museums that I have worked with over the past 10 years. I am working with a new one at this time, and I think I would be a great addition to their curriculum.

Also, because I have the time, I would love to be able to get all the rest of the QB's up and running for purpose they were probably went for; university studies.

If I got them, Robert would have his name on one, of course.

I'd be willing to pay for the whole pallet(s).
    edited 2013-07-08 15:20
    Matt,

Are you looking to send all the Quadrovers to one place?
    edited 2013-07-08 15:28
    Duane Degn wrote: »
    Matt,

Sounds like it. I'm sure they want to be done with it. They took the write off and need the room. I don't blame them.

But I want them to get them out to people that deserve them. Parallax does not have the time or resources.

I'ts going to get ugly! :)
  • Matt GillilandMatt Gilliland Posts: 1,406
    edited 2013-07-08 15:32
    Matt,

Haven't decided...it's easier to do a pallet or two than a bunch of boxes, and the remaining QR's are in various states of assembly/dis-assembly anyway. I'll get pics of what we've got and maybe there's some sort of order here that we can figure out.

The intent here is to clear out and clean up clutter in our warehouse (never though a QR would be considered "clutter"!).

Maybe we can put three or four small pallets/boxes together, and send them out to the "winners", then they can horse-trade parts? I dunno...

-MattG
    edited 2013-07-08 15:36
    Haven't decided...it's easier to do a pallet or two than a bunch of boxes, and the remaining QR's are in various states of assembly/dis-assembly anyway. I'll get pics of what we've got and maybe there's some sort of order here that we can figure out.

The intent here is to clear out and clean up clutter in our warehouse (never though a QR would be considered "clutter"!).

Maybe we can put three or four small pallets/boxes together, and send them out to the "winners", then they can horse-trade parts? I dunno...

-MattG

Two-Three Pallets. Send me a quote for shipping. I'll take care of sending them to deserving forum member. Just trying make room in the warehouse.
    edited 2013-07-08 15:38
    I'll do inventory and post upon receipt of the pallets.
  • jdoleckijdolecki Posts: 726
    edited 2013-07-08 15:46
    I'LL take three or four.

some to build my robot army, to keep my other robots company and to annoy my wife who keeps saying get those robots out of the house.

And I will gladly pay shipping

i fix up what can be fixed put the rest on a shelf for spare parts

If not can i just have one of them robin engines for my humanoid project

thanks

John

P.S. Matt I will put you on the friends of robots list so when the Robot Apocalypse happens you will just be a robot slave and not terminated.
  • W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,010
    edited 2013-07-08 15:51
    We just bought a house on five acres, plenty of room to put the QR's out to pasture, or make them pull a mower. I haven't used my QR much in the last two years since I could only drive it out on the street but now that we have lots of room it is going to see a lot more use.

I also know a hackerspace that would love to get one, they were just talking about it a couple days ago.

I would of course like to get one, but seeing as I already have one I guess that puts me at the back of the line. An incomplete one would be invaluable to me as spare parts though - and I would love to have one without the engine/hydraulics to convert to electric power.
  • DiverBobDiverBob Posts: 1,102
    edited 2013-07-08 16:06
    I think my large hexapod robot could use a friend! Put me down for one or even parts of one! It would be fun to see what else could come out of my shop.

Bob
    edited 2013-07-08 16:06
    I'll bet quite a few forum members would be happy to have a pallet of QuadRovers shipped to us. Heck, with a bit of notice I would drive down and load them up myself!

I don't envy the decisions you are going to have to make.
  • TtailspinTtailspin Posts: 1,326
    edited 2013-07-08 17:43
    I would love to see a Quad Rover running through the Sand Dunes...
    If I had my way, I would like to assemble the thing from the ground up, So if there are enough spare parts left over from the frenzy,
    Feel free to send them my way... :)

Honestly, I think erco should get one of the first picks, He will probably say he does not want it, but, too bad. he should get one anyway..:)
    I know he has been eyeballing them for quite some time now...

-Tommy
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2013-07-08 18:54
    When is the deadline for this?
    edited 2013-07-08 18:55
    I looks like there are several of us willing to take delivery and then resend them to other forum members. It sounded like Jim volunteered, I'm also willing to pay shipping for the bunch and then resend individual (or pairs) of QR out. The individual forum members could then reimburse whoever is doing the shipping for the final shipment plus a portion of the original freight charges.

Depending on how many QR there are and how many forum members want them (and assuming Matt wants to distribute QR this way), there could be some sort of committee to decide who gets one (or more). This is assuming Matt doesn't want to make these decisions himself.

Another suggestion I have is this could be a good time to thank forum moderators by having the list of deserving QR recipients include (possibly start with) any moderators who would like a QR.

I haven't seen Doggie Doc on this thread yet. I'm pretty sure he has been craving a QR for a while. I'd put him on the list of interested parties.
  • RobotWorkshopRobotWorkshop Posts: 2,307
    edited 2013-07-08 19:31
    In regards to shipping I've recently used the uship.com site a couple times with good results. Both times were door to door service and neither one required a pallet. Some shippers prefer to have everything on a pallet or two. It may be worth checking that site out for whomever may end up with one or the whole lot.

Robert
  • Roy ElthamRoy Eltham Posts: 2,996
    edited 2013-07-08 19:41
    I'll be driving through Rocklin next week, I could probably fit one in my car. :)
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    edited 2013-07-08 20:04
    I'd like to make a pitch for you to send one to Louisiana Tech University - In particular Dr. David Hall. He has used BoeBots for years with his new engineering students - The Seniors could have a ball with a Quadrover.

Seriously, I think the possibility of using this bot for educational purposes would be great. If Tech had one - the GatorBots are only thirty minutes away and could go visit it...
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2013-07-08 20:05
    Roy Eltham wrote: »
    I'll be driving through Rocklin next week, I could probably fit one in my car. :)

I'd say that any longtime, contributing, loyal deserving forumista who offers to pick one up is a slam dunk...
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    edited 2013-07-08 20:10
    erco wrote: »
    I'd say that any longtime, contributing, loyal deserving forumista who offers to pick one up is a slam dunk...

Especially one nearing 10,000 posts? :smile:

Please be warned - there is not a bit of plywood on it...
    edited 2013-07-08 20:20
    Ttailspin wrote: »
    Honestly, I think erco should get one of the first picks, He will probably say he does not want it, but, too bad. he should get one anyway..:)
    I know he has been eyeballing them for quite some time now...
    Whit wrote: »
    Especially one nearing 10,000 posts? :smile:

I do not want one, Matt-I-Am!

I would not take one off a train
    I would not take one in the rain

I would not take one in a box
    I would not take one with a fox

I would not like one here or there.
    I would not like one anywhere.

I do not want one, Matt-I-Am!
  • mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2013-07-08 20:28
    You could add some plywood, it would float.
    I bet Matt could throw in a goat.

You could drive it here or there.
    You could park it by an old Corvair.

Take one, take one, you will see!
    Plan for the twins, maybe Matt has three!!
  • WBA ConsultingWBA Consulting Posts: 2,933
    edited 2013-07-08 20:41
    I will keep my reasoning for one of them short: my daughter Liberty says we should have one every time she sees it in the old Parallax catalog she has with her other books on her bookshelf. Plus, it would be a great reward for her placing first in all three events in her taekwondo tournament last week.

But anyhow, I would love to have one. Would work for numerous technology lessons for Liberty's homeschooling. She has a BoeBot and at 7, is doing pretty good with the lessons we have done so far.
    edited 2013-07-08 20:44
    I say whoever gets them has to commit to the first annual QuadRover race at OPC 2014!
    edited 2013-07-08 21:11
    W9GFO wrote: »
    I say whoever gets them has to commit to the first annual QuadRover race at OPC 2014!

+1 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Take a $2000 deposit from each Quadrover recipient. Refunded only when they compete the first annual QuadRover race at OPC 2014! Forfeit deposit for not competing.
  • NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
    edited 2013-07-08 21:39
    I would be more than happy to take at least one off your hands and will pay shipping plus make a charitable donation to a charity of your choice.
  • Paul K.Paul K. Posts: 150
    edited 2013-07-08 22:19
    Matt--

You call them junk in your post but, one man's junk is another man's treasure.

PK
    edited 2013-07-09 09:26

I haven't seen Doggie Doc on this thread yet. I'm pretty sure he has been craving a QR for a while. I'd put him on the list of interested parties.

I would have thought Paul would have been one of the first responders. I know he wouldn't mind getting a QR without the Control Board; I sent him my spare. :)

PS Congrats on making Project of the week!
  • ratronicratronic Posts: 1,451
    edited 2013-07-09 09:52
    I can tell you why I probably shouldn't have one - all I would do is tear it apart to see what makes it tick getting hydraulic fluid all over the place. But anyway I would be more than willing to pay the shipping to get another toy (even if it needs some work).
  • kfuremkfurem Posts: 19
    edited 2013-07-09 11:00
    if she shipping costs are ok, I would take a couple of them. I'd like to add an alternator/battery and use them for an autonomous network extender.