Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
CONTEST: Hack The Halls! - Page 4 — Parallax Forums

CONTEST: Hack The Halls!

124»

Comments

• mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2012-12-20 16:09
    Great contest all around! Congratulation, winners!! As erco usually says, "we're ALL winners!"

Good on Parralax for going the extra reindeer and coming up with an honorable mention prize!
  • Martin_HMartin_H Posts: 4,051
    edited 2012-12-20 16:18
    Erco, thanks for the compliment and we had fun making it.
  • WildatheartWildatheart Posts: 195
    edited 2012-12-20 17:21
    This has been a fun competition that demonstrated much creativity.
    Contestants and spectators alike, all are winners!
  • halfblinddadohalfblinddado Posts: 59
    edited 2012-12-20 18:29
    Congratulations to everybody. Given the high calibre of all the entries I am honored to get recognized.

Merry Christmas!

Mike
  • TtailspinTtailspin Posts: 1,326
    edited 2012-12-20 18:36
    Congratulations everybody, What a great bunch of Xmas Projects. :thumb::thumb:
    PS: Tommy, resubmit your Gift Guard 9000 next year. It's a timeless, useful concept which should stay plenty fresh in that Tupperware if you burp it!
    After a good burping, The Gift Guard 9000 will return to its duty at the Pond as the Habitat Relocation System
    Next years Xmas contest entry will need to have a little more something if it is going to be competitive...:smile:

-Tommy
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2012-12-20 20:26
    Is it too late to submit this iPhone-controlled Christmas lighting project with 65,000 lights? :) Hacking the Halls Gangnam (OK, Griswold) Style!

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/massive-christmas-light-display-draws-crowds-annoys-neighbors-194409780.html
  • Ray_DRay_D Posts: 8
    edited 2012-12-20 23:21
    Wow... 2nd place... cant complain, especially with all the great projects posted. I had been looking for an excuse to buy the Hydra kit and now I have one!

Thanks to everyone for the creative projects entered and for all the nice comments. And of course, thanks to Parallax for starting this competition.
  • Jen J.Jen J. Posts: 649
    edited 2012-12-21 09:16
    Nick Ernst wrote: »
    Here's my employee entry! Thank you Jen for the awesome pictures!

I didn't bring in the caboose that I made for my two kids to ride in, but may I present the "Christmas Quadrover Train". As the name suggests, it is a Quadrover that I transformed into a train to take my kids around in when we go looking at Christmas lights this year. Many of the places we go are neighborhoods where you have to walk through, and instead of having to put the kids on my shoulders 5 mins into the walk, I thought an RC Train that can pull them would be just what the doctor ordered. I'll post some video of it in full effect after we have our first outing this weekend with it, and we'll see how everyone reacts to it!

Attachment not found.

Check out Nick's Christmas Train in action!
    edited 2012-12-21 12:37
    Fabulous train, Nick! I tried to get my blue Scribbler to pull my twins down the sidewalk in their wagon, but the built-in wheel stall sensor kept going off. I had to settle for it going around the Christmas tree instead of around the block.

Ken, did I get a defective Scribbler? :)
  • ke4pjwke4pjw Posts: 1,115
    edited 2012-12-21 14:09
    Wow, I can't believe I placed in this contest! There are a lot of *really cool* projects that entered. I am very honored by the comments. Thank you guys so much!

I hope to get these boards out there as a kit at some point. I just haven't had the resources to pull that off yet. I almost have a board layout complete for the DMX Director. I think this may give me the encouragement to get that done.

Merry Christmas to everyone at Parallax and on the forums! (Did I mention this is the *BEST* technical forum on the Internet?)
    edited 2012-12-21 20:15
    You didn't just "place", you NAILED it, Terry! Congrats!
    edited 2012-12-23 22:42
    Somebody stop me! The contest is long over and I lost miserably, yet I had to get another robot doing the train thing under the tree. Different bot, different technique.
  • Martin_HMartin_H Posts: 4,051
    edited 2012-12-24 03:43
    Erco, very Christmasy and the toy train under the tree was exactly the vibe I was trying to achieve.
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2012-12-24 16:09
    erco wrote: »
    Duane, I hope you didn't miss the midnight cutoff with a 90% completed project... If so, post here anyway!

I was having too much fun with the hexapod.

I did pick up some cool Christmas lights at CostCo and I've been busy hacking them.

(Yes, it's the same video as in the Merry Christmas thread.)

Cool projects everyone. Thanks for the contest Parallax.
    edited 2013-11-20 17:46
    Will there be another HTH contest for 2013? :)
  • xanaduxanadu Posts: 3,347
    edited 2013-11-21 06:45
    I've been wondering that myself. Last year's was great!
    edited 2014-12-06 21:33
    Looks like no HTH contest this year. :(

I saw a similar contest at ServoCity. Win $1000, but you must use some Actobotics parts. Deadline Dec 18, so git crackin'! Looks like everyone who entered last year got a coupon for 25% or 50% off.

https://www.servocity.com/html/actobotics_video_contest.html

Cute mobile Christmas Tree video at https://www.facebook.com/#!/ServoCity
    edited 2014-12-06 22:25
    Someone uploaded grinch.exe to Parallax servers?
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2014-12-08 07:58
    I don't know that this is the "official" reason, but resources are at a premium this year at Parallax as evidenced by the positions we're trying to fill. I doubt we have the resources to handle such an endeavor this year.
  • NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
    edited 2014-12-08 14:14
    With the year my wife and I have had, other than buying for our grandkids, we are passing on Christmas this year. Too depressing!!!!!!
    edited 2014-12-08 17:03
    Andy, passing on Christmas is like passing on life! Sorry if you've had a bad year, but that just makes these last few remaining days of 2014 all the more precious! Now sally forth and hack those halls, contest or no contest. I'll be waiting to see what you post, Pal ! :)

As Jack Aubrey said, "there's not a moment to lose!"
    edited 2014-12-09 08:02
    I don't know that this is the "official" reason, but resources are at a premium this year at Parallax as evidenced by the positions we're trying to fill. I doubt we have to resources to handle such an endeavor this year.

Need any volunteer test pilots? My commercial UAV resume is growing by the day. If you do let me know an email address to send it to.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2014-12-09 14:53
    Sorry xanadu, I think I misunderstood...test pilots for?
  • NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
    edited 2014-12-09 18:45
    erco, I took your advise. I received my Ni-ZN batteries today. So, after charging up 4 of them I put them in my Toddler. Worked great, up until the point he walked right off my desk (Instead of watching him I was typing)!!!! Oh well, I should be able to heat it up a bit and get it back to its correct shape. I also modified my SimpleIDE program for my WS-2812 RGB LED's to blink Red and Green. Still can't hit that Christmas mood of years past. We usually deck out the inside and outside of the house every year but we are just not quite up to that this year. Hopefully next year will turn out much better.
    edited 2014-12-10 08:59
    Sorry xanadu, I think I misunderstood...test pilots for?

For your UAV/UAS (Elev-8) program. It would probably only come in handy after FAA ruling, and way off topic, thanks for the reply :)