Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
CONTEST: Hack The Halls! — Parallax Forums

CONTEST: Hack The Halls!

Jen J.Jen J. Posts: 649
edited 2014-12-10 08:59 in Robotics
Hack the Halls Contest!

You are cordially invited to Hack The Halls! Post your best Holiday Hack in this forum and you will be eligible to win $100, $200, or $300 in Parallax store credit! What better way to celebrate the holidays?

Please submit your holiday hack by Thursday, December 20th. Winners will be announced on Friday, December 21st, 2012.

To submit your project for this contest, please provide a brief writeup with links to any other applicable information (photos, schematics, videos, web sites, another thread) in this Forum thread.

Contest Rules: Not open to Parallax employees (sorry, Nick). Not open to projects that have already won other Parallax contests.

HackTheHalls.png

Hack the halls with chips and wires,
Fa la la la la, la la la la.
Tis the season to start electrical fires,

Don we now our safety glasses,
Fa la la, la la la, la la la.
Electronics fun for lads and lasses,

See the autonomous robot rolling,
IR LEDS will follow your strolling,

Follow me in tutorial learning,
While bundles of knowledge you are earning,

Fast away the ELEV-8 passes,
See it flying through the air in your opera glasses,

Join Parallax now for a fun contest,
Awards to those who leave us most impressed,

Fa la la la la, la la la la!
600 x 450 - 424K

Comments

• mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2012-11-27 11:07
    "Hack the Halls" had me a bit frightened since you often times wield an AXE!

Now, I get it! Nice lyrics!!
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2012-11-27 12:04
    wrote:
    Since this is a contest, I'll forgive you for Christmas music before December.... :):)
  • tonyp12tonyp12 Posts: 1,950
    edited 2012-11-27 12:07
    What is the difference between a hack and a project?
    To me a holiday hack is taking a regular Holiday/Christmas item and make it better with electronics and Prop/Stamp.
    So is that the rule? hack a holiday item?
    garland.gif
  • Jen J.Jen J. Posts: 649
    edited 2012-11-27 13:09
    tonyp12 wrote: »
    What is the difference between a hack and a project?
    To me a holiday hack is taking a regular Holiday/Christmas item and make it better with electronics and Prop/Stamp.
    So is that the rule? hack a holiday item?

Good question: Any project with a holiday theme. Does not have to be a hack.
  • Daniel HarrisDaniel Harris Posts: 207
    edited 2012-11-27 13:50
    I'm in! Oh, wait, I probably can't be since I am an employee. Sad day :(. But that doesn't mean I can't hack something anyway! Muahahaha.
    edited 2012-11-27 13:52
    You can inspire and ignite the customer base through your talents and challenge us to hack to the best of our abilities with your examples!!!
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2012-11-27 13:58
    These rules about excluding employees really stink. I've got a number of neat projects in the queue that could take the winnings. At least a week of free time lies ahead, too. Can you guys run an employee-only contest?

Scrooge
    edited 2012-11-27 14:07
    I think we'd enjoy an employee contest pitting department against department, randomly chosen development teams, boys versus girls, whatever else would work.....

I'm sure you could even get a panel of forumista judges!
    edited 2012-11-27 14:30
    Ken Gracey wrote: »
    These rules about excluding employees really stink. I've got a number of neat projects in the queue that could take the winnings. At least a week of free time lies ahead, too. Can you guys run an employee-only contest?

Scrooge

Dear Scrooge,

You may submit your holiday project to the contest, with the understanding that you are not eligible for any prize $$$. We would love for you to share your projects!

Sincerely, Jen J.
  • Nick ErnstNick Ernst Posts: 138
    edited 2012-11-27 14:38
    What?.....But......wait......oh fine then Jen! This isn't fair!
  • MicrocontrolledMicrocontrolled Posts: 2,461
    edited 2012-11-27 19:52
    I'd really like to enter this contest, maybe I can get something together before finals begin....
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    edited 2012-11-27 23:58
    No, Parallax employees should be barred. Otherwise Chip is a sure winner with the P2 ;)
  • jdoleckijdolecki Posts: 726
    edited 2012-11-28 07:34
    wrote:
    Were do we submit our hacks?
  • Kevin CookKevin Cook Posts: 159
    edited 2012-11-28 08:33
    Cluso99 wrote: »
    No, Parallax employees should be barred. Otherwise Chip is a sure winner with the P2 ;)

Maybe we should vote on it?
    edited 2012-11-28 09:03
    jdolecki wrote: »
    Were do we submit our hacks?

To submit your project for this contest, please provide a brief writeup with links to any other applicable information (photos, schematics, videos, web sites, another thread) in this Forum thread.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2012-11-28 14:06
    I'm guessing that Arduino/AVR/PicAxe/RasPi/TI powered hacks are "right out"?

tonyp12 suggested prop/stamp, I suspect you want to confirm that it must use a Prop/Stamp/etc.

Although someone could use a Parallax PIR sensor to trigger a premade holiday item, not even requiring a uC to be added.

Just need some clarification, judges?

Since Daniel Harris is "right out", maybe others can dive back into a robot line following contest. Long lines of silver-foil-wrapped Hershey's Kisses could simulate the tin foil 555 timer course from the Parallax Expo...

Tommy, git onnit !!!
  • teganburnsteganburns Posts: 134
    edited 2012-11-29 09:29
    HAHAHAHA! I'm In I have all the time in the world >;P
    edited 2012-11-29 09:58
    erco wrote: »
    I'm guessing that Arduino/AVR/PicAxe/RasPi/TI powered hacks are "right out"?

tonyp12 suggested prop/stamp, I suspect you want to confirm that it must use a Prop/Stamp/etc.

Although someone could use a Parallax PIR sensor to trigger a premade holiday item, not even requiring a uC to be added.

Just need some clarification, judges?

Submit whatever project you think is appropriate.
    We'll let the judges sort them out.
  • stamptrolstamptrol Posts: 1,731
    edited 2012-11-30 07:45
    Don't know if I'll have time to submit my own entry, but why not have an "employees" category (with some sort of internal prize) so we can get to see some of the projects the Parallax staff gets up to?

Cheers,
  • CircuitMageCircuitMage Posts: 62
    edited 2012-11-30 09:21
    OK, so here is my holiday project.

First off, thanks to Parallax for an easy to use, small controller. It made this a snap!

At work, they are having a Door Decoration Contest, but only gave us 2 weeks (through Thanksgiving!). We worked in teams of 2 and I did the electronics. Today is the due date and here is what we posted on our door!

This door decoration highlights our company product, being used by Santa! I used a Basic Stamp module and board to monitor pin 0 for an active output on the PIR module, then sequence a series of lights. Not very complicated, but something that could be done in a short time. I spent more time on the assembly than the code or stamp hardware!

2012 Holiday Door.jpg

So, what you see here is an oil rig at the top, in the middle is a PIR sensor with a Basic Stamp board behind a hinged box, and a string of LEDs going down to the presents!

The oil rig was made from foam board and covered in foil, with 3 sets of 2 Leds (2 GREEN on the top, 2 BLUE on the middle and 2 RED on the bottom). The wiring was hidden behind the rig. 5 pieces of Velcro were used to hold the oil rig to the paper on the door. The PIR sensor was jumpered to the Basic Stamp, and all the LED lines were soldered to sockets that were attached the the board headers (I hate soldering a board if I don't have to!). Please keep in mind, I did the electrical work in a garage with low lighting and poor equipment (15 year old soldering iron) and used whatever I had laying around! But hey...it works!

The bottom of the rig has a square of cardboard taped to hold the stamp board, and a crafted box cover taped at the top to act as a hinge to get to the board.

The LEDs on the rig share a 330 ohm SMT resistor, the LEDs on the bottom string each have a 300 ohm SMT resistor. The PIR sensor uses power from the Stamp board (5V).

2012 Holiday Door Stamp.jpg

Parallax software allowed me to modify the timing of the lights as necessary with minor code changes. I also used the debug feature to verify PIR sensing. Program code below omits LED activation for LED 2-8 as it is redundant. I didn't bother optimizing this program, but that could be done.

PROGRAM:

'{$STAMP BS2}
    infiniteLoop: 'label

'if sensor activated, goto subroutine Flash
    IF IN0 = 1 THEN Flash

GOTO infiniteLoop 'loop

Flash: 'subroutine labeled Flash
    DEBUG "PIR SENSED, LEDS ON!"

HIGH 1 'turn on TOP 2 LEDs
    PAUSE 500 'wait 1/2 second
    LOW 1 'turn off LEDs
    PAUSE 500 'wait 1/2 second

<PINS 2-8 OMITTED , SIMILAR STRUCTURE>

HIGH 9 'turn on Drill6 LED
    PAUSE 250 'wait 1/4 second
    LOW 9 'turn off LED
    PAUSE 250 'wait 1/4 second

RETURN 'go back to the rest of the program

It took us about 90 minutes to put all the decorations up on the door. Happy Holiday!

Update: We got 2nd place.
    1024 x 1816 - 124K
    1024 x 577 - 77K
  • frank freedmanfrank freedman Posts: 1,982
    edited 2012-11-30 11:24
    So, they should get a prize for first submission at least....... With a multiplier of how many days in advance of the next.....

FF
  • CircuitMageCircuitMage Posts: 62
    edited 2012-11-30 11:28
    wrote:
    No argument here. :)
  • teganburnsteganburns Posts: 134
    edited 2012-11-30 15:22
    I Like the employees competition idea..
  • TtailspinTtailspin Posts: 1,326
    edited 2012-11-30 19:13
    Tommy, git onnit !!!
    On it!...
    This here submission is a genuine "Gift Guard 9000".
    Gift Guard 9000.jpg

The GG9 is similar to the device showcased in this post. >> H.R.S. post<<
    I heavily modified the H.R.S. with holiday camouflage to be more target effective.. Thus creating the Gift Guard 9000.
    The GG9 is able to keep any gift under the Xmas tree safe from sneaky children trying to root out the surprise.
    If a child gets to close to said gift package, The GG9 will sound an audible alarm and flash brightly. Thereby
    causing said child to scurry for cover...
    Enjoy!.

Now you guys need to post your holiday projects, or risk losing $300 store credit to a TupperWare container...:lol:

CircuitMage, Thats a cool project, I wouldn't mind taking second place over that..:thumb::thumb:

The employees of Parallax should be allowed to join in on the fun, but maybe, to keep things fair and square,
    Everybody should be able to "Just check out" whatever parts and equipment from the shelves of Parallax... :)

-Tommy
    1024 x 768 - 112K
    edited 2012-11-30 20:48
    I thought I might be first to post, but third will have to do if I hurry and mount my LEDs tonight. JingleBot is ready otherwise.

CircuitMage & Tommy: Great projects! How about some videos? Mine's a-coming!
  • NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
    edited 2012-11-30 20:51
    Ttailspin wrote: »
    On it!...

The employees of Parallax should be allowed to join in on the fun, but maybe, to keep things fair and square,
    Everybody should be able to "Just check out" whatever parts and equipment from the shelves of Parallax... :)

-Tommy

Sure, and that would be fair to all of us that do not have an unlimited supply how?????
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2012-11-30 21:15
    I thought I might be first to post, but third will have to do if I hurry and mount my LEDs tonight.

You stole my idea! I was going to use LEDs. Man, I thought I'd be the only one to think of Christmas lights. :frown:
    edited 2012-11-30 22:13
    Jingle Bot is self-aware! BoeBot sings "Jingle Bells" using a RoboVoice speech chip. BS2 controls speech while driving 4 servos and flashing red & green LEDs. Two continuous rotation servos drive JingleBot in a circle, while two other servos move the front speaker and jingle the tail bells.

OK Duane: speech, LEDs, 4 servos, using a BS2. Beat that, Prop Boy!
  • TtailspinTtailspin Posts: 1,326
    edited 2012-11-30 22:59
    Oh great! I just dropped into third place..
    I could be doomed if duane submits his Quad Copter sleigh...

NWCCTV, you are an everybody too... so as soon as Ken gives the ok, go ahead and "check out" whatever you need. :smile:

-Tommy
    edited 2012-12-01 10:28
    Had to improve the jingle bell sound with a longer bell arm and some stationary jingling. Between the camera microphone and Youtube compression, there was no jingling audio in the other video. Truly a sad state of affairs for a Jingle Bot! Slightly better audio in this new video.