Toy Story
    Bedtime for Bonzo
    The Freaks
    The Sound of Music
    Westside Story
    Paint your Wagon
  • lanternfishlanternfish Posts: 366
    edited 2012-10-19 01:49
    Being slightly parochial Once Were Warriors & Goodbye Pork Pie and also an Ozzie citizen to boot- The Castle, Wolf Creek, Thunderstruck or Lantana. But probably still The Life of Brian.
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2012-10-19 01:57
    I miss the old black and white moves.

The Thin Man series
    Anything with Peter Lorre in it
    Charlie Chan movies
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2012-10-19 02:27
    Memphis Belle
    - Particularily the letters scene: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xlh8uh_memphis-belle-letters-scene_shortfilms

220px-Memphis_Belle_Motion_Picture_Soundtrack.jpg

Gladiator
    220px-Gladiator_ver1.jpg
  • ctwardellctwardell Posts: 1,716
    edited 2012-10-19 06:17
    Patton with George C. Scott

C.W.
  • mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2012-10-19 06:55
    ctwardell wrote: »

C.W.

I think he played Patton better than Patton played Patton!!
  • Matt GillilandMatt Gilliland Posts: 1,406
    edited 2012-10-19 09:09
    You're all wrong.
    Nope. That's the 2nd best movie of all time. What's the BEST? Of course, it's...

Singin' in the Rain.

C'mon. Boy meets girl, boy loses girl, boy sings song and gets girl back...who can argue wtith that?! Nobody. That's who.

Plus, as a 15 year old busboy at a very exclusive restaurant in Lake Tahoe, I had the pleasure of having lunch with Cathy Selden - er, I mean the actress that played Cathy Selden. You may know her as "Debbie Reynolds".

Yes, it was love.
    Twuue wuv.

-MattG
    edited 2012-10-19 09:13
    @MattG

Good mornin', good mornin', to you!

(I know, it's just not the same coming from me!)
  • JordanCClarkJordanCClark Posts: 198
    edited 2012-10-19 09:28
    In no particular order-- can't just have one fave...

The Princess Bride
    Monty Pyhton and the Holy Grail
    Galaxy Quest
    Arsenic and Old Lace
    We're No Angels (The 1955 Bogart/Ustinov/Ray version)

Dang! I hit five already? What about Kelly's Heroes or McClintock or The Quiet Man?

(See how I managed to sound outraged and still sneak in three more?) :lol:
  • blittledblittled Posts: 681
    edited 2012-10-19 09:28
    Mine are first the Star Trek Movies then the Lord of the Ring movies. Outside of those movies my favorite is LadyHawke. Great soundtrack, great actors and a great plot.
    edited 2012-10-19 09:34
    Ahhh Rick - I always knew that you only appreciate the best! That is one of the coolest dance routines in all of history - add Good Mornin' to "Fit as a Fiddle" (amazing footwork by Gene and Donald - wow!), and you have the makin's for awsome, good ol' fashioned, clean entertainment :thumb:

In those immortal words of Samuel J. Snodgrass..
  • ctwardellctwardell Posts: 1,716
    edited 2012-10-19 09:34
    Dang! I hit five already? What about Kelly's Heroes or McClintock or The Quiet Man?

Ah, The Quiet Man, that would be me wife's favorite, we watch it every year 'round easter.

(and why did I hear that in Michaleen Oge Flynn's voice as I typed it...)

C.W.
    edited 2012-10-19 09:52
    I'm gonna regret this.....

You can't leave out "Make Me Laugh".

There, it's been said.

Edit: Dang auto correct!! It's "Make 'em Laugh"
    edited 2012-10-19 11:10
    and why did I hear that in Michaleen Oge Flynn's voice as I typed it...)

"I'm giv'n three to one on Danaher!"
    -MattG
  • RobotWorkshopRobotWorkshop Posts: 2,307
    edited 2012-10-19 11:32
    No one mentioned "Short Circuit" yet. Number 5 is alive.... Or, the TRON movies......

I would have also picked a lot of the movies already mentioned but if you are looking for some fun titles that you may not have seen yet, here are some that were worth watching and were an unexpected treat:

Cowboy Bebop (awesome Anime) - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cowboy_Bebop
    Hunter Prey - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunter_Prey
    The Librarian series (just a fun adventure) - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Librarian_%28franchise%29
    Planetes - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planetes
    Enemy Mine - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enemy_Mine_%28film%29
    Memories - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memories_%28film%29

There are many others..
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2012-10-19 12:20
    No one mentioned "Short Circuit" yet. Number 5 is alive.... Or, the TRON movies......

Robert

Post #21 I have both 1 and 2

Jim
    edited 2012-10-19 12:22
    NWCCTV wrote: »
    Has anyone seen 2010 A Space Odyssey? It is a sequel to the original. Not a bad movie. They go back to see what went wrong. Ending is quite odd. Sorry, did not mean to be off topic.

OT again.

Has anyone read 2061 and 3001?

All four are on my shelf.
  • RobotWorkshopRobotWorkshop Posts: 2,307
    edited 2012-10-19 12:32
    Publison wrote: »
    Robert

Post #21 I have both 1 and 2

Jim

Didn't notice that you already called it out. Instead I'll substitute Disney's Black Hole. VINCENT is the robot...
    edited 2012-10-19 12:36
    Didn't notice that you already called it out. Instead I'll substitute Disney's Black Hole. VINCENT is the robot...

Forgot about that one.Yes VINCENT was a great robot!
  • GordonMcCombGordonMcComb Posts: 3,366
    edited 2012-10-19 13:23
    My all-time favorite film is an old one, Best Years of Our Lives. Some themes close to me. Came out in 1946, won seven Oscars. It's not everyone's cup of tea, and its pacing is old fashioned by today's standards, but it's still good drama. It's about three returning servicemen from World War II, and how each attempts to cope with civilian life. The story's been done many times, but I think Best Years did it best.

Oddly enough, I enjoy The Green Mile, a movie filled to the brim with killings, hatred, and executions, and yet it's sublimely uplifting and hopeful. I've rewatched it countless times. All the more poignant now that Michael Clarke Duncan passed on just recently.

For comedy, my fav would be Beetlejuice, partly because I think it's funny, but also because I was good friends with one of the movie's writers, Michael McDowell. Sometimes we enjoy movies because of their history with us. That's what makes them uniquely special.

-- Gordon
  • jazzedjazzed Posts: 11,803
    edited 2012-10-19 13:50
    The Shawshank Redemption
  • ElectricAyeElectricAye Posts: 4,561
    edited 2012-10-19 17:41
    RDL2004 wrote: »
    ... Suppose you were given the opportunity to watch one last movie before you.. ah.. passed on... What would be the last movie you would watch?

That would be the award-winning documentary of my wrenching myself from my death bed, crawling in agony up to the top of a craggy mountain peak after which a blinding white bolt of lightning strikes down from the center of the Milky Way, hits me directly between the eyes, thus electrifying my secret tungsten-lined underwear, which is instantly turned incandescent, thereby enveloping me in a blue-green plasmodium cocoon that lases me into deep space where, after reaching negative light velocity, my Essence is condensed upon a planet of solid carbonaceous chondrite into the form of an immortal god-like entity I name Egomaniac, who then with one wave of my electrified and munificent hand, turns the lifeless cinder into a lush paradise populated with gorgeous goddesses whose only purpose is to please me for an eternity or two.

Pass the popcorn.

lightup.jpg
  • prof_brainoprof_braino Posts: 4,313
    edited 2012-10-19 17:44
    Duck Soup, mostly because of the mirror scene. Funniest thing I've seen.
    edited 2012-10-19 17:56
    That would be the award-winning documentary of my wrenching myself from my death bed, crawling in agony up to the top of a craggy mountain peak after which a blinding white bolt of lightning strikes down from the center of the Milky Way, hits me directly between the eyes, thus electrifying my secret tungsten-lined underwear, which is instantly turned incandescent, thereby enveloping me in a blue-green plasmodium cocoon that lases me into deep space where, after reaching negative light velocity, my Essence is condensed upon a planet of solid carbonaceous chondrite into the form of an immortal god-like entity I name Egomaniac, who then with one wave of my electrified and munificent hand, turns the lifeless cinder into a lush paradise populated with gorgeous goddesses whose only purpose is to please me for an eternity or two. Pass the popcorn.

You had me up to the electrified tungsten lined underwear...the just struck a bit too close to home!
  • Brian CarpenterBrian Carpenter Posts: 728
    edited 2012-10-19 18:09
    I dont watch a lot of flicks but...

Hunt for Red October

October Sky
    edited 2012-10-19 20:16
    October Sky
    Good call Brian! Excellent movie :-)
    (singin' in the rain is still better though)
    -MattG
  • User NameUser Name Posts: 1,451
    edited 2012-10-19 21:41
    #1 Pale Rider - I'd love that flick even if I hadn't been climbing Boulder Mountain while they were shooting below.
    #2 The Bourne Identity - but potatohead beat me to it.
    #3 Witness for the Prosecution - great acting across the board. Pretty cool ending, too.
    #4 A Passage to India - no idea why I like it so much.

p.s: I'll have whatever ElectricAye is having.

pp.ss: In a strange fluke, NWCCTV named some of my least favorite movies of all time. But I think highly of him anyway. :)
  • HumanoidoHumanoido Posts: 5,770
    edited 2012-10-19 21:58
    2001 A Space Odyssey
    Star Wars (Original)
    Star Trek
  • Tracy AllenTracy Allen Posts: 6,658
    edited 2012-10-19 22:39
    1. Akira Kurosawa's Seven Samurai
    2. Hayao Miyazaki's Spirited Away.
    3. The Wizard of Oz

So many choices. So little time.
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    edited 2012-10-20 05:04
    As we are considering the last movie I might see before popping my clogs I might drift back to my child hood and think about:

Forbidden Plannet
    Jason and the Argonaughts
    Gold Finger
    Bedazzled (Original 1967 version with Peter Cook and Dudley Moore)

As I'm approaching the end of life I might get more philosophical and contemplative and want something more intellectual:

Monty Pythons Meaning of Life
    The Life of Brian.

Altogether now:

"Always look on the bright side of life..."