Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
What is your favorite movie? — Parallax Forums

What is your favorite movie?

RDL2004RDL2004 Posts: 2,554
edited 2014-11-16 19:01 in General Discussion
I'm just nosy I guess. Suppose you were given the opportunity to watch one last movie before you.. ah.. passed on.

And, since I think everyone here would choose one of them, let's just say that all Star Trek, Back to the Future, and Star Wars movies are excluded.

What would be the last movie you would watch?

Choose maybe up to 5 and rate them? But you only get to watch one :)

If you're not a movie watching person, you probably shouldn't post a reply, but go ahead if you want.

edit: Okay, the results are in (and still coming actually), you can find the full list in this post:

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?143184-What-is-your-favorite-movie&p=1135879&viewfull=1#post1135879

Comments

• potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 10,260
    edited 2012-10-18 15:44
    Well last movie would be "lord Of The Rings"

Favorite is "sneakers"
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2012-10-18 15:58
    Silly me, nothing too intellectual at all. I can watch Angels & Demons or True Lies over & over again. Throw in Bad Boys 2 just for the stunts, cussing and the Marcus dating scene, since I anticipate lots of boy trouble with our cute twin girls.
  • skylightskylight Posts: 1,915
    edited 2012-10-18 16:08
    Favourite Sci-fi "2001"
    Drama " Deep Impact"
    Comedy "Young Frankenstein" or "The Meaning of Life" or "Dark Star"
    Horror " The Exorcist" or "Suspiria"
    Western "The Good ,The Bad and The Ugly"
    Musical " West Side Story"
    War(ish) " The Odessa File"
    Gangster "The Untouchables"
    Feel Good "ET"
  • RDL2004RDL2004 Posts: 2,554
    edited 2012-10-18 16:11
    Lol, I probably should have excluded Avatar and Lord of the Rings also, as they are so obvious. Some good choices though.
    I don't think just one is fair, I'm pretty sure I'd try to negotiate for at least 3 or more :)
  • W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,010
    edited 2012-10-18 16:12
    Not my favorite but since I get to watch it before passing on it seems the most logical to choose.

Modern Times Forever
    edited 2012-10-18 16:13
    Duane's 1 and 3 also
  • NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
    edited 2012-10-18 16:14
    1. Pulp Fiction
    2. One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest
    3. Batman- The Dark Knight
    4. National Lampoons Christmas Vacation
    5. National Lampoons Vegas Vacation
    6. National Lampoons Vacation
    7. The Big Lebowski

Sorry, I had to go over the limit. They would be in that order but 1 and 2 are VERY close ties!!!!

Edit: And then I went and forgot aobut the Godfather and Godfather II !!!!
    edited 2012-10-18 16:21
    NWCCTV's No 2 has one of the best feel good endings

another SciFi "Zardoz"
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2012-10-18 16:27
    Favorites: Godfather series; more recently, Avatar
    Least favorite: The Ipcress File ('Saw it in a theater twice. 'Fell asleep both times.) More recently, though, having suffered through Prometheus, it will probably push Iprcress File up a notch to second least favorite. Prometheus was just bloody awful.

-Phil
    edited 2012-10-18 16:33
    Another Gangster film "Get Carter"(Michael Caine version)
    and Horror "The Wicker Man" (Edward Woodward version)
    Britt Ekland in both :)
  • localrogerlocalroger Posts: 3,451
    edited 2012-10-18 16:35
    Well, if it was just one it would have to be Twelve Monkeys. After we left the theatre it was an hour or so before my wife and I could even figure out how to talk about it, it affected us so deeply.

A longer list would also include a couple more of Terry Gilliam's movies, Brazil and a special version of The Fisher King that ends with Robin Williams in a coma, Jeff Bridges doing sleazy radio again, and Gilliam not saying "Thank you for giving me this award for selling out."

For reliving moments of intense revelation I'd want the 1977 version of Star Wars (the one with no enhancements and no "episode IV" or "New Hope" in the title) and Tron for the sheer amazement of seeing things pulled right out of the imagination onto the screen for the first time ever..

Because I just loved the acting and the sound track, Pump Up the Volume.

Wargames, Weird Science, and Real Genius just because. And Creator and Heathers because because.

For just being different from anything else and showing what you can do with a limited budget Pi, Memento, and especially Primer. Maybe Sex, Lies, and Videotape too, though it's a bit more mainstream.

And for just plain dark hilarity overestimating its audience, Dr. Strangelove.

You might notice an absence of stuff like the Star Wars sequels, the lookalikes, the Terminator movies, Star Trek, and a lot of other likely suspects. This is because when you have lived in a world where a thing was not possible, and then you have had your mind blown by seeing it done, seeing it done better is not as impressive.
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2012-10-18 16:46
    Favorites:

Space SciFi: Any Startrek movie (except V, and 2009), The Last Starfighter, 2001
    Generic SciFi: Brainstorm, Dreamscape, The Forbin Project, Matrix (All), Freejack
    Buddy Cop Movies: Lethal Weapon (All), Running Scared
    Military: Iron Eagle, Top Gun, Firebirds, Full Metal Jacket
    Generic Feel Good Adventure: Back to the Future (All), Indiana Jones (All)
    edited 2012-10-18 16:49
    For amazing visual and sound effects for it's time "Forbidden Planet" and "This island Earth"

The original "The day the Earth stood still"
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2012-10-18 16:49
    During the summer of 1977, I was working on a salmon troller in Alaska. We had docked in Juneau for a short stay and wondered what there was to do. So somebody bought a newspaper to see what was going on in town. Star Wars was playing at the local theater and, when asked what was showing, the person with the paper said, "Not much. Just some stupid space flick." Several years passed before I actually got around to watching it.

-Phil
  • NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
    edited 2012-10-18 16:50
    Has anyone seen 2010 A Space Odyssey? It is a sequel to the original. Not a bad movie. They go back to see what went wrong. Ending is quite odd. Sorry, did not mean to be off topic.
    edited 2012-10-18 16:53
    It was ok but not as good IMHO as "2001"

For shock value " A Clockwork Orange"
    For scary endings "Don't Look Now"
  • localrogerlocalroger Posts: 3,451
    edited 2012-10-18 16:59
    ACK HOW COULD I FORGET to mention Brainstorm which I've argued myself is the best movie about scientists ever filmed. But I've probably watched it a hundred times so it wouldn't be on my short list for the Last Movie. And even though Dr. Forbin is my avatar and The Forbin Project is a movie everyone should see it wouldn't be on the short list for Last Movie just because of the competition.
  • lanternfishlanternfish Posts: 366
    edited 2012-10-18 17:00
    Probably 2001 but 12 Monkeys would be close second. Oh wait - forgot Life of Brian. Dammit, I can't decide!
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2012-10-18 17:04

Favorites, in no particular order:

Hunt for Red October
    Short Circuit
    Da Vinci Code (coupled with Angels and Demons)
    The Last Starfighter
    2001 :A space odyssey

Whoops! that's six

Whoops!
    Forgot Matrix

Tomorrow, I can probably give you my next top 5 of all time, given I time to sleep on it.

I can do a top 5 at least 20 times. :)
    edited 2012-10-18 17:05
    The Power (1968)
    Scanners
    and if allowed tv series- "The Prisoner" original series
  • mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2012-10-18 18:20
    Ishtar - before it was over, I'd want to die.

Seriously:

Field of Dreams
    Usual Suspects but my memory would have to be erased before watching it- because when you get to the end of that one the first time, it's priceless.
    Young Frankenstein
    Saving Private Ryan
    Band of Brothers - think of it as a really long movie
    Braveheart
  • davejamesdavejames Posts: 4,047
    edited 2012-10-18 18:51
    #1 - Forbidden Planet

...the rest in no particular order:

The Princess Bride
    That Thing You Do
    2001, A Space Odyssey
    any cheesy 1950's B/W sci-fi
  • potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 10,260
    edited 2012-10-18 19:00
    Great picks here!

I have to comment on 12 Monkeys. I was impacted too. Great film. I have some Scot in me, and I love Braveheart.

Bourne Identity is high on my list too.
  • sylvie369sylvie369 Posts: 1,622
    edited 2012-10-18 20:27
    I'd start with 2001. Also love Forbidden Planet, Dr. Strangelove, To Catch a Thief, Rear Window, North by Northwest, Hannah and Her Sisters, Crimes and Misdemeanors.
  • TinkersALotTinkersALot Posts: 535
    edited 2012-10-18 20:56
    The first rule about the favorite movie is that you don't talk about the favorite movie. And bladerunner
  • Peter KG6LSEPeter KG6LSE Posts: 1,383
    edited 2012-10-18 21:22
    The Right Stuff.
    Apollo13 .
    Brainstorm .
    logans Run .
  • RDL2004RDL2004 Posts: 2,554
    edited 2012-10-18 22:03
    Wow, some interesting choices. There are movies listed here that I've never even heard of. I'm kind of surprised given the technical slant of these forums, that one of the best movies ever made, Apollo 13, didn't show up in the first 25 posts. I looked through my HD movies folder and based on the number of times watched I'd have to say that these are my top five.

Aliens
    Apollo 13
    Air Force One
    Die Hard
    The Core
    Memphis Belle

If I hadn't excluded them, Star Trek: First Contact and Avatar would be in there. It probably wasn't fair to limit the number, so here are five ten "Honorable Mentions":

Armageddon
    Das Boot
    The Karate Kid
    Iron Man
    The Core
    GI Jane
    The Outsiders
    October Skies
    The World's Fastest Indian

Also Underworld, mostly because of Kate Beckinsale :)

If I actually had to choose only one, I probably wouldn't be able to decide between Apollo 13 and Aliens and would just end up watching Top Gun again.

edit: I can't believe I left out Die Hard. It has to be in the top five.
    edit 2: and I forgot about The Karate Kid, that's another top 5 movie
    edit 3: expanded honorable mentions to 10 so I could add Memphis Belle (first mentioned by SLRM in #35) and two more I had overlooked
  • jazzedjazzed Posts: 11,803
    edited 2012-10-18 22:30
    Gladiator
    The Terminator+T2
    Total Recall
    iRobot
    Heartbreak Ridge
    Dirty Harry
    Yellow Submarine
    Forest Gump
    edited 2012-10-19 01:02