Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
$3 Stepper Motor & Board - Page 3 — Parallax Forums

$3 Stepper Motor & Board

Comments

• kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    edited 2012-10-16 17:51
    The ULN2003 chip on that driver board can handle up to 50V so you will not fry the chip with 12V. You might fry the chip by drawing too much current so make sure the motor you connect to it will not draw more current than the chip can handle. The jumper is probably there to provide the correct current limiting resistors for the leds at 5 and 12 volts.
  • Martin_HMartin_H Posts: 4,051
    edited 2012-10-16 20:21
    My steppers arrived today and I quickly tested them at 5 volts. They work well enough, but don't have a whole lot of torque. I'm not sure what I will do with them, but I will think of something.
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    edited 2012-10-16 21:03
    One technique to increase torque is to momentarily switch to a higher voltage at the beginning of each step. Okidata printers used 5V steppers and a switched 35V supply to do this. A blocking diode on each supply and a transistor to turn on the high voltage is all that is required.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,254
    edited 2012-10-17 00:22
    Martin_H wrote: »
    My steppers arrived today and I quickly tested them at 5 volts. They work well enough, but don't have a whole lot of torque. I'm not sure what I will do with them, but I will think of something.

No torque? Try full step (2 coils at a time) per http://www.parallax.com/dl/docs/prod/motors/Stepper_Motor_27964.pdf

~2 ms per step.
  • prof_brainoprof_braino Posts: 4,313
    edited 2012-10-17 04:46

Not compared to NEMA 17 Pololulu 1200 steppers http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/1200 NEMA 17 Pololulu 1200 steppers,
    but what do you want for $3?!?!

Actually, I found them to be slow but torquey for such a little part, and running off 4 AA batteries. They will be a pretty good match for an erco bot, or the Little Robot (tm). If fact, they might be OK for a Jamie Mantzel spider tank.
    edited 2012-10-17 05:24
    Erco, tonight I'll try two coils at a time.

prof_braino, it was more observation than a complaint. I just need to find the right application for them.
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2012-10-17 07:59
    I debated stocking these as the way these arrived from China didn't impress me.

After giving them a good check and repackaging them the way I would have preferred to receive them, I've put them in stock. They'll cost you more than $3.00, but will be shipped from here in Ohio. (Hit the "propellerpowered" link in the signature)

Jeff
    edited 2012-10-17 10:20
    I debated stocking these as the way these arrived from China didn't impress me.

After giving them a good check and repackaging them the way I would have preferred to receive them, I've put them in stock. They'll cost you more than $3.00, but will be shipped from here in Ohio. (Hit the "propellerpowered" link in the signature)

Jeff

if i may suggest, bundle these as:
    two of the cheap steppers
    one of the cheap ultrasonic rangefinder
    one of the cheap blue tooth

this is the exact BOM for the LittleRobot(tm) project.
    at least two schools have asked where to get the package, and are hesitant to order from china

could you get by if you charge only $20 for such a bundle?
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2012-10-17 13:45
    That's a great idea! It's hard to keep those bluetooth modules in stock as they sell almost as fast as I can get them, but you are right, this would make a great bundle. I will pursue this..

Jeff
    edited 2012-10-18 08:37
    That's a great idea! It's hard to keep those bluetooth modules in stock as they sell almost as fast as I can get them, but you are right, this would make a great bundle. I will pursue this..

Jeff

one more item in the bundle:
    the small assortment of colorful jumper wires with pins and sockets. or maybe a second bundle of just jumpers and a bread board. this combo helps a lot when i am messing with the steppers and quickstart
  • NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
    edited 2012-10-18 16:53
    So how would I wire the sensor to a BS2? Also, would the same code that works for the Parallax Ping sensor work for this one?
    edited 2012-10-18 19:20
    that uS sensor needs 2 lines, one trigger output, one pulsin input
  • wmosscropwmosscrop Posts: 406
    edited 2012-10-22 17:45
    Very nice!

I bought 2 of these, they work fine. Now I'm wondering what I can do with them... I'm new to robotics, but familar with the Propeller.

I'm asking for some advice on where to buy gears, wheels, mounting hardware, etc. to experiment with these motors. I've tried Googling, but apparently I can't come up with the approprate search terms. I know they have 5mm shafts, and I can find couplers and mounting hubs, but (so far) nothing like the gears in this video.

Thanks in advance,

Walter
  • ScopeScope Posts: 417
    edited 2012-10-22 17:52
    wmosscrop wrote: »
    I'm asking for some advice on where to buy gears, wheels, mounting hardware, etc. to experiment with these motors. I've tried Googling, but apparently I can't come up with the approprate search terms. I know they have 5mm shafts, and I can find couplers and mounting hubs, but (so far) nothing like the gears in this video.

Could you get a 3D printer and make your own gears & stuff?
    edited 2012-10-22 17:55
    Hey Walter

Just saw two notches in a square of 2x4, and stick them on there.

Make two wheels out of any old plastic dinner plates, or old CD's etc.

At first I made couplers with set screws and all, but just holes that are a little too small work fine.

All you need is an ultrasonic module, and you are set up for an erco-bot or LittleRobot (LittleRobot uses forth, ercoobot uses plywoord)
    edited 2012-10-22 18:06
    Scope wrote: »
    Could you get a 3D printer and make your own gears & stuff?

I could, but then I'd have to sleep in the shed for spending that much money.

Seriously, I'm on a low budget, $50-$100 would be my limit.

Walter
    edited 2012-10-22 18:19
    wmosscrop wrote: »
    I could, but then I'd have to sleep in the shed for spending that much money.

Seriously, I'm on a low budget, $50-$100 would be my limit.

Walter

Cheapest Possible Robot project

http://code.google.com/p/propforth/wiki/CheapestPossibleRobot
    edited 2012-10-22 18:53

Plywood.... check.

Harbor Freight Tools Tools... check.

Harbor Freight Tools 20% off coupons (for casters, etc.)... check.

Nuts, bolts, screws, batteries, wire... check.

Bandages... check. :)

Sensor & bluetooth modules... on order.

Many thanks for the info... looking forward to making my own robot.

Somewhat ironic note: I'll get to finally play with Forth... which was originally implemented on an IBM 1130... which I'm emulating (almost) with a Propeller.

Walter
  • Ron CzapalaRon Czapala Posts: 2,418
    edited 2012-10-25 12:08
    I ordered a couple of the 5V versions on Oct 3 and they just arrived - I was beginning to wonder if they'd ever get here.

I'll try a different seller if I decide to get more....
    edited 2012-10-25 13:08
    I used erco's code in post #14 and it seems the steppers have good torque going clockwise (looking at the end of the shaft), but easily slip and quit turning going counter clockwise.

Both of my steppers act the same.

Has anyone else noticed this??
  • GarethGareth Posts: 278
    edited 2012-10-25 13:34
    I used erco's code in post #14 and it seems the steppers have good torque going clockwise (looking at the end of the shaft), but easily slip and quit turning going counter clockwise.

Both of my steppers act the same.

Has anyone else noticed this??
    I have been experimenting with both propeller and picaxe code routines and the error you describe above only happens when i wind up the speed, the coils need a certain pull in time...
    Try increasing the delay between successive coil activations .....
    edited 2012-10-25 14:36
    Gareth wrote: »
    I have been experimenting with both propeller and picaxe code routines and the error you describe above only happens when i wind up the speed, the coils need a certain pull in time...
    Try increasing the delay between successive coil activations .....

Thanks! Certainly makes a difference.

Using half-step phase sequencing provides good torque...

CODE CORRECTED - somehow the code was corrupted when I pasted it?!?!
    ' {$STAMP BS2}
    ' {$PBASIC 2.5}
    ' The 28BYJ-48 requires 512 8-step half-step sequences to rotate 360 degrees
    Phase      VAR    OUTA  ' phase control outputs
    StpsPerRev CON    512   ' whole steps per rev
    idx        VAR    Word  ' loop counter
    lup        VAR    Word
    stpIdx     VAR    Word  ' step pointer
    stpDelay   VAR    Byte  ' delay for speed control
    Steps DATA %0001, %0011, %0010, %0110, %0100, %1100, %1000, %1001

Setup:
      DIRL=%00001111    ' make P0..P3 outputs
      stpDelay = 1      ' set step delay

Main:
      FOR idx = 1 TO StpsPerRev * 8 ' one revolution
        GOSUB Step_Fwd          ' rotate clockwise
      NEXT

PAUSE 500                 ' wait 1/2 second

FOR idx = 1 TO StpsPerRev * 8 ' one revolution
        GOSUB Step_Rev          ' rotate counter-clockwise
      NEXT
      PAUSE 500                 ' wait 1/2 second
      OUTL = 0
    'GOTO Main
    END

Step_Fwd:
      stpIdx = stpIdx + 1 // 8  ' point to next step
      GOTO Do_Step
    Step_Rev:
      stpIdx = stpIdx + 7 // 8  ' point to previous step
      GOTO Do_Step
    Do_Step:
      READ (Steps + stpIdx), Phase ' output new phase data
    '  DEBUG DEC idx, " ", DEC stpidx, " ", BIN4 phase, CR
      PAUSE stpDelay               ' pause between steps
      RETURN

edited 2012-11-08 07:38
    Has anyone tried the 12V version of these steppers? Here's a link to one of them:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-12V-4-phase-5-wire-stepper-motor-28BYJ-48-12V-/180831286591

The control boards that came with the 5V stepper look plug compatible with the 12 V stepper, but the 12 V model might have some more torque.
    edited 2012-11-08 09:02
    I have some, but haven't used them yet. I'm assuming function/gearing is the same, just different motor supply voltage. Typically higher voltage motors will have more & finer windings to keep the power about the same. You can run higher voltage to the 5V motors for more torque, that's often done. I used 7.4V on mine.
    edited 2012-11-08 09:06
    erco wrote: »
    I have some, but haven't used them yet. I'm assuming function/gearing is the same, just different motor supply voltage. Typically higher voltage motors will have more & finer windings to keep the power about the same. You can run higher voltage to the 5V motors for more torque, that's often done. I used 7.4V on mine.

OK, thanks, I shall up the volts a bit. I'm not expecting miracles, but a bit more umph would be useful.
    edited 2012-11-08 09:47
    edited 2012-11-08 11:57
    Has anyone tried the 12V version of these steppers? Here's a link to one of them:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-12V-4-phase-5-wire-stepper-motor-28BYJ-48-12V-/180831286591

The control boards that came with the 5V stepper look plug compatible with the 12 V stepper, but the 12 V model might have some more torque.

the ones i got have a jumper. its set at 5v and works fine. could it bet that the jumper is just for th led's? maybe leaving the jumper off would disable the led circuit? i'm not at my bench, i cant check at the moment
  • mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2012-11-08 13:48
    erco wrote: »

I would have gone with the "umph" crowd until I read the Urban Dictionary definitions...I DON'T want my robot to have THAT!!!!

Oomph (while accepted by my iPad spell checker) reminds me of "object oriented miles per hour" which makes no sense at all.
    edited 2012-11-08 13:53
    the ones i got have a jumper. its set at 5v and works fine. could it bet that the jumper is just for th led's? maybe leaving the jumper off would disable the led circuit? i'm not at my bench, i cant check at the moment

IIRC the jumper on the board is used to connect the common of the flyback diodes to the supply voltage, per the schema on p.2 at http://www.parallax.com/Portals/0/Downloads/docs/prod/motors/Stepper_Motor_27964.pdf . The ULN2003 can operate on any voltage up to ~30V, so it could be the same board supplied with 5V and 12V motors. I don't have a board in front of me, but it's likely that the LED current is supplied by the microprocessor-supplied control signal and not related to the 5V or 12V motor supply voltage.