Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Ken/Cluso99/ W9GFO/JasonD's QuadCopter Build Log (updated info ELEV-8 + availability) - Page 38 — Parallax Forums

Ken/Cluso99/ W9GFO/JasonD's QuadCopter Build Log (updated info ELEV-8 + availability)

Comments

• ratronicratronic Posts: 1,451
    edited 2012-05-21 19:50
    Yes you should see the values change when you move the sticks. Your transmitter needs to be on and the battery plugged into the quad for the receiver to work.
  • David BetzDavid Betz Posts: 14,516
    edited 2012-05-21 19:56
    ratronic wrote: »
    Yes you should see the values change when you move the sticks. Your transmitter needs to be on and the battery plugged into the quad for the receiver to work.
    Okay, those numbers were wrong. Here are the correct numbers:

Aileron 1508
    Elevator 1507
    Throttle 1115
    Rudder 1513
    Gear 1603
    Flap 1500

I assume that the flap channel is not actually used?
    edited 2012-05-21 20:09
    You can trim the elevator, aileron, and rudder channels closer to 1500. No the Flap channel is not used. I saw your post about the motor in the other thread. I have heard Ken saying sometimes the magnets can be knocked loose inside and jam up the motor. They sometimes can be put back together according to him. Hopefully that is your problem.

Edit: With the gear channel set with an endpoint of 25% on my transmitter I get 1658 but I think you are close enough.
    edited 2012-05-22 08:07
    David I checked my transmitter and to get what you reported (1603) for the gear (gain) channel my endpoint on mine was set to 15% which is within Hoverfy's starting point (10 - 25%) but you may want to increase it some.
    edited 2012-05-22 08:10
    David I checked my transmitter and to get what you reported (1603) for the gear (gain) channel my endpoint on mine was set to 15% which is within Hoverfy's starting point (10 - 25%) but you may want to increase it some.
    I'm a bit confused about how to set the gains. My transmitter (the Spektrum DX7s) has two settings for "Gear". The one that corresponds to the "off" position of the switch goes from 100 to 0 and the one that goes with the "on" position of the switch goes from 0 to 100. I have them both set to 25 right now since it seems that they control the distance from the center position for each of the switch settings. Setting both to 25 seems to mean -25 for off and 25 for on. I may be mistaken about that though.
    edited 2012-05-22 08:26
    David looks like we posted at the same time. I keep my gear switch in the up position and adjust the endpoint for that position. Also you want to make sure before you fly that the gear switch is set to the up position. Also in post#1114 ignore what I said "I think you are close enough" instead see post #1115.
    edited 2012-05-22 08:32
    David looks like we posted at the same time. I keep my gear switch in the up position and adjust the endpoint for that position. Also you want to make sure before you fly that the gear switch is set to the up position. Also in post#1114 ignore what I said "I think you are close enough" instead see post #1115.
    Okay, I'll try that. Do you have a DX7s transmitter?
    edited 2012-05-22 08:42
    No I have a Futaba T6J. But my quad runs well with the end point set so I get ~1658 reported with the gear switch at the proper position.
  • Brian CarpenterBrian Carpenter Posts: 728
    edited 2012-05-24 19:58
    i would like to share a modification i did for landing gear. i drew it up on solidworks and cut in on the CNC.
    photo.jpg
    photo(1).jpg

you can also see it in action at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gibyPnmeoEA
    let me know what you think
    1024 x 765 - 54K
    1024 x 765 - 75K
  • TigerTiger Posts: 105
    edited 2012-05-24 22:54
    Nice work Brian! Looks simple and works great. I like getting the battery down low also. Are you going to post your drawings?

...Tiger
  • Brian CarpenterBrian Carpenter Posts: 728
    edited 2012-05-25 06:18
    thank you tiger. I should be able to post them this evening.
  • Nick ErnstNick Ernst Posts: 138
    edited 2012-05-25 09:02
    Those landing gear are looking great Brian, I like how they are modular and how the chassis and the gear all mount together. Very cool!
  • lead_magnetlead_magnet Posts: 4
    edited 2012-06-01 00:42
    G'day all
    having ordered an elev8 a few days ago, thought i would read through the forums
    has taken me 3 days to arrive here
    am looking forward to the build, and very impressed with the effort of some staff and forum members with code, parts, help etc
    i have had rc planes, cars and heli's in the past, so think i should go ok with the flying
    and having purchased nearly everything at one time or another from parallax for different electronic/robotic projects over the years, am looking forward to diving into the quadx code of Jason's
    having not visited the parallax web site in some time - having had a rough start to 2011, with major flooding, just getting back on top of things again - i was a little upset i wasnt in at the start with this project
    anyway, hope to get everything flying over the next month or so, will start with the hoverfly set up first to get things going, before jumping into Jason's quadx
    have not juggled four balls for a while -wife,kids,work,hobbies- so it might be a little slow to start

was also wondering if the screw/nut count issue with the kits had been sorted or will i need to purchase extras?
    and also hope Tiger is still prepared to make more of those nifty little standoffs (PM sent)

cheers
    Andrew
    edited 2012-06-10 17:34
    looks like this thread is dying or dead....starting CPR now

well my elev8 arrived safe and sound, was a little surprised with what i found in the box
    all booms are now black, i see pictures on the website have been updated to show this :(
    the motors have been swapped with the 1000kv gold ones that were available on the website
    the control board top plate has been changed to a red acrylic one....looks very nice too
    and the turnigy esc's have been changed to hobbywing??? esc's (i think), just hope the turnigy programming card i bought works with them
    all in all, am pretty happy with everything

i started to go through the material list to check everything was present and accounted for, instead ended up putting the quad together, minus the motors and electronics
    i am now able to answer my earlier question as to weather the screw/nut count issues were sorted....unfortunately not quite
    i was short 8x 3/8" and 4x 1/2" s/s screws, receiving in their place 12x 1/4 black ones...a fair trade i am sure
    planning on swapping all screws to hex heads now, probably a little heavier, but i like the look :)
    am considering swapping the stand-offs to aluminium as well, again a little more weight, but dont like the sound of screws vibrating out
    not that there was to much chance of that as i received the star washers in my kit

which brings me to my next question...1/2" screws to mount the control board, will these be to long and interfere with the battery? i will find out when i do the build proper i suppose

still waiting on batteries, ended up getting a couple of 4400 sky lipos Kevin Cook linked to earlier in this thread
    also still waiting on tx/rx, i ended up with a spectrum dx8, which aside from the receiver and telemetry unit also came with a couple of 6 channel receivers as well, good reason to get more flying things...if i am able to convince she who must be obeyed :)

i will post a few pictures when i get done...i know it will look like everyone elses elev8, but hey, look close and you may notice the hex head screws :-)

righto...finishing CPR now, hopefully have put some life back into the thread

cheers
    Andy
  • noiseprofessornoiseprofessor Posts: 3
    edited 2012-06-10 17:59
    I've just finished up the first of two ELEV-8s I'm building for a GIS aerial imaging project. Broke two props today trying to get her in the air, but I'm working it out. About to plug the Hoverfly Open into the computer here and run the setup utility. I have the DX8 as well, and as it sounds like you have experience, I may try to pick your brain here once in a while!
    edited 2012-06-10 18:03
    it lives!

hehe, feel free to pick whats left of my brains
    am more than happy to help...not sure how much help i will be though
  • MarkVMarkV Posts: 12
    edited 2012-06-11 03:37
    It sounds like the new ELEV-8s are now shipping with the Hoverfly Open board. When will the Hoverfly Open board be available for those who purchased the first batch of ELEV-8s?

Mark
    edited 2012-06-11 14:54
    Andy - This thread isn't "dead or dying". It's just "resting"! BTW... I just sent you a PM about the standoffs you wanted.

...Tiger
    edited 2012-06-11 14:59
    Anti-Vibration Standoffs ??? Someone besides lead_magnet PM'd me recently trying to get standoffs and I can't find your message. I still have some of these so if you could PM me again, we can work something out.

...Tiger
  • Eggplant!Eggplant! Posts: 17
    edited 2012-06-14 21:12
    MarkV wrote: »
    It sounds like the new ELEV-8s are now shipping with the Hoverfly Open board. When will the Hoverfly Open board be available for those who purchased the first batch of ELEV-8s?

Mark

I'm curious about this as well. There was talk about a discounted rate for early elev-8 customers.
    edited 2012-06-15 06:51
    Comming up with a program yourself for the open board is going to be a challange. Jason Dorie is still in China but I think he is going to adapt his program he posted ealier in this thread for the open board sometime in the future.
  • Kevin CookKevin Cook Posts: 159
    edited 2012-06-16 23:25
    MarkV wrote: »

Mark

How about, if you have a Sport board and you really want an Open board; Email me and I'll trade you!

You heard right my fellow flyers! I'll give you an Open with a Sport board trade in. I'll also throw in a new cover plate since that's different for the Open.
    edited 2012-06-17 04:43
    Kevin Cook wrote: »
    How about, if you have a Sport board and you really want an Open board; Email me and I'll trade you!

You heard right my fellow flyers! I'll give you an Open with a Sport board trade in. I'll also throw in a new cover plate since that's different for the Open.

Kevin,

Thanks for the offer. However unfortunately, I managed to damage my original HF Sport board in a crash so I will need to purchase, rather than trade for, the HF Open board. I have been in contact with Nick and he is setting up the purchase with your sales department.

Mark
  • Kevin CookKevin Cook Posts: 159
    edited 2012-06-17 19:34
    Mark,

Super bummer! We can take a look at your damaged Sport and see if it's something that can be repaired (I've had to fix a few in the past :)). Send over a photo.
  • Don MDon M Posts: 1,647
    edited 2012-06-18 13:48
    Kevin Cook- What's the difference between the Open and the Sport model? I looked on their website and didn't see anything about the Open model.
  • alblnalbln Posts: 3
    edited 2012-06-18 19:17
    I would like to ask a very basic question .... Received my components few days ago and have been reading all the posts in the forums and as much information as I can before starting to build this fine piece of machinery.

The motors I received are different from the ones shown in the pictures in the forums and other online blogs talking about the Quadcopter. (see picture) I have tried to follow the drawings in the motor/boom assembly the best I could.

The first thing I did was to attach with the screws with Loctite the metal part with the four "prongs" to the bottom of the motor. After working in soldering the connectors, etc., I was ready to attach these metal 4-prong base to the bottom of the motor/boom assembly. But the screws recommended in the drawing seem to need a nut and there are not in the hardware bag.

Could somebody with experience with these motors from the kit point me in the right direction?

Thanks

al
    1024 x 768 - 82K
  • W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,010
    edited 2012-06-18 19:50
    You should be able to bolt the motor directly to the mount without using the metal "x" piece.
    edited 2012-06-19 09:22
    @ Don M As I understand the schematics of the Open board it comes with the same gyro as the Sport board, and voltage translated interfaces for the receiver and ESC's plus a usb programming port. The main difference between The Sport and Open boards is that the Open board has unused I/O ports available and an area for you to add your own stuff that the Sport board does not. AFAIK Jason Dorie is the only person that has put a program out in the public and it happens to use the same gyro. I believe that sometime in the future he is going to release a version written for the connections on the Open board for the ELEV-8. But for anybody wanting to create their own program and add stuff to it the Open board is much more accessible than the Sport board. I think this was put in the Robotics forum but here is the user's guide for the Open board and the connections I have indentified.

EDIT: The schematics for the Open board are on the last page of the user's guide.

EDIT2: The receiver ports are not voltage translated, they use dropping resistors.

P0-P3 = ESC/Motor connections

P4-P6 = Tricolor led

P7 = Buzzer

P8-p14 = Receiver connections

P15 = SDA Gyro
    P16 = SCL Gyro

P17-P25 = Free to use I/O ports expansion header

P26-P27 ESC/Motor connections

P28 = SCL EEprom
    P29 = SDA EEprom

P30-31 = ESC/Motor connections
    edited 2012-06-19 14:58
    Bent_USB_Connecter.jpg
    Cracked_ELEV-8_Cover.jpg
    Cracked_LED.jpg
    Firmware_Flash_Okay.jpg
    Gyro_Test_Failed.jpg
    HF_Sport_Bottom.jpg
    HF_Sport_Top.jpg
    Kevin Cook wrote: »
    Mark,

Super bummer! We can take a look at your damaged Sport and see if it's something that can be repaired (I've had to fix a few in the past :)). Send over a photo.

Kevin,

Here are photos of my damaged HF Sport Board. The damage occurred when the ELEV-8 crashed upside down. In the crash, the ELEV-8 top plate cracked (see photo) and hit the Sport board bending the USB connecter (see photo). Also, the light tube apparently cracked the LED (see photo). When I connect the damaged Sport board to my PC, I am able to load the HF Sport firmware (see photo), so I assume the Prop chip and its associated circuitry are okay. However, when I run the gyro diagnostics test in the HF Setup software,the test always fails (see photo), so I assume the gyro was damaged. Based on the position of the missing chunk of the ELEV-8 cover and the position of the gyro chip on the board, I assume the cover hit the gyro chip and damaged it.

FYI, I have already ordered a new HF Open board to replace the damaged HF Sport board.

Mark
    1000 x 750 - 76K
    1000 x 750 - 78K
    1000 x 750 - 81K
    750 x 804 - 88K
    693 x 630 - 50K
    1000 x 750 - 65K
    1000 x 750 - 121K
  • cagcag Posts: 7
    edited 2012-06-19 19:21
    Hey guys - I, too, received the new unit (HoverOpen, new motors) - and I finished it and took it flying. Not surprisingly, a Crash Kit order was placed immediately afterward. Broke a prop. Just one, damage was minor - I was trying to be careful.

But I need some assistance so I don't keep repeating the same mistakes. The unit hovered to about 4 feet and was drifting away - I gently moved the roll (I swear - it wasn't much) - it got real twitchy, inverted and hit the dirt. I read on the net about setting the End Point for the gear - I've got a spektrum 6i - and when I go to the menu labeled Travel Adj - Gear is showing +20% . Before I put on my new prop - anybody got any suggestions? Is there another menu I'm supposed to find on the remote? It did not seem stable in the least, unlike anything I've seen in the demos. It is absolutely set up with the proper CCW and CW for an X config and plugged in correctly.

THANKS GANG!