Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
The March of the Penguins - Closed! - Page 3 — Parallax Forums

The March of the Penguins - Closed!

Comments

• John R.John R. Posts: 1,376
    edited 2011-01-31 08:34
    Humanoido wrote: »
    You already said you can't reserve any Penguins but if you can, put me down for two more. It will take a short time to get the goodwill contribution receipt and email it over.

At this point, we're only doing the "one per household" thing. (Should have mentioned that in the first post.) There are definitely not any provisions for reservations...
  • barksterbarkster Posts: 7
    edited 2011-01-31 08:37
    I made my donation and submitted today, hopefully there are a couple left. Great idea. Thanks
    edited 2011-01-31 08:37
    To the people who already requested Penguins, on what basis did you choose your colors?

Please see the first post for an explanation of color assignment. Also please see the note about "the color(s) you get are the colors you get".

At this point, colors are only being "preliminary" assigned so that we can provide an estimate of the colors allocated.

Edit: I "may" (probably/obviously/DOH!) have misunderstood Humanoido's question... :-)
    edited 2011-01-31 10:12
    Matt2 wrote: »
    I'm trying to match my shoes.

We'll do our best to help you out, but you may have to check out the Ritz and Kiwi product lines...
  • W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,010
    edited 2011-01-31 11:30
    To the people who already requested Penguins, on what basis did you choose your colors?

I chose black because I already have the other colors.

Rich H
  • bee_manbee_man Posts: 109
    edited 2011-01-31 16:04
    I chose the other colors because I already have black.

Jim
  • wrightmewrightme Posts: 43
    edited 2011-01-31 16:24
    I asked my son what colors he liked.........
  • jagrifenjagrifen Posts: 36
    edited 2011-01-31 17:13
    I asked my wife...
  • Martin_HMartin_H Posts: 4,051
    edited 2011-01-31 18:57
    My color preference was very slight. I had a slight dislike for plain aluminum, neutral about blue, felt positive about red and black.
  • MINI-IZEDMINI-IZED Posts: 19
    edited 2011-01-31 20:23
    Didn't matter. I just want a couple of Penguins to waddle around the house...They could be polka dotted for all I care lol-053.gif
  • tim1986tim1986 Posts: 41
    edited 2011-01-31 20:46
    I think I'm ready to donate. I would like to know, are there still penguins available?
    edited 2011-01-31 22:02
    tim1986 wrote: »
    I think I'm ready to donate. I would like to know, are there still penguins available?

As of this moment, there are 33 Slots still open...
  • HumanoidoHumanoido Posts: 5,770
    edited 2011-02-01 00:38
    re: Penguin Color

If you're trying to match brown shoes, I suggest getting the clear Penguin and a can of brown spray paint. It won't be anodized but it will look brown. I like the clear metal aluminum color because it truly represents a robotic mechanical machine. Black is also good. I have a black Bat Penguin made from a black colored Penguin. Red Penguin is great too. You can make a tiny Hell Boy Penguin but you'll need the Big Hand to go with it. I have a small cache of tiny hands that I use for Penguins. These have matching colors (but no clear or black). The Blue Penguin can fly in the sky. Mine is a Penguinaut. I plan to post about this in another thread... and maybe about how to make a tiny hand, which is actually big from Penguin's perspective.
    edited 2011-02-01 00:47
    John R. wrote: »
    Please see the first post for an explanation of color assignment. Also please see the note about "the color(s) you get are the colors you get". At this point, colors are only being "preliminary" assigned so that we can provide an estimate of the colors allocated. Edit: I "may" (probably/obviously/DOH!) have misunderstood Humanoido's question... :-)
    John, yes, you are very technical by analyzing my simple color question in terms of technicalities, and think in terms of technical technicalities that are technically beyond my non-technical question. You probably technically dream in technical terms with technical dreamworlds and technical dream-scapes made up of technical objects doing technical things.., er.. technically speaking. :) More seriously speaking, I was just interested, if one were to choose a specific color Penguin, what interest and why for that specific color.
    edited 2011-02-01 07:17
    should we expect a reply that the form was received, processed, accepted? or hope that they show up at my door? I'm new to parallax and excited to mess with a couple of these things.
    edited 2011-02-01 09:52
    I have been sending out a very brief "You're on the list!" message as I process the submissions. If it's been more than a couple days since you submitted, and you haven't recieved this (check your junk mail), then send a message asking for confirmation to the above address.
  • propMakerpropMaker Posts: 65
    edited 2011-02-01 11:14
    John R.

Do you have an update of how many are left? I'm already on the list, but my friend doesn't want to risk it without knowing.

Thank you.
    edited 2011-02-01 17:42
    There are currently as of 7:42 PM, Tuesday, February 1st, 2011 AD, 27 pairs of birds still available...
  • propMakerpropMaker Posts: 65
    edited 2011-02-01 18:15
    Thanks for the update. I'm still surprised how slow they are going, come on people, give these penguins a good home so that they will finally ship them. I'm dieing to play with mine.
  • TonyStarkTonyStark Posts: 1
    edited 2011-02-01 18:53
    Man that was fast I literally submitted my email 15 minutes ago and already im on the list can't wait to get those penguins.
    edited 2011-02-01 19:58
    Yeah I guess I should resend again, last guy said it was 15min. I think I sent on monday morning.
    John R. wrote: »
    I have been sending out a very brief "You're on the list!" message as I process the submissions. If it's been more than a couple days since you submitted, and you haven't received this (check your junk mail), then send a message asking for confirmation to the above address.
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
    edited 2011-02-02 12:56
    Hey guys,

The Penguins are ready to ship, as soon as JohnR provides the first batch of shipment information. We've got the rework kits and little birds ready to fly out of the office.

Ken Gracey
    edited 2011-02-02 15:22
    Ken Gracey wrote: »
    Hey guys,

The Penguins are ready to ship, as soon as JohnR provides the first batch of shipment information. We've got the rework kits and little birds ready to fly out of the office.

Ken Gracey

Gang - Here's the scoop:

Status Update:

We are up to 73 submissions, only 20 left to go!

Here is a preliminary balance of colors left:

1 Red
    15 Blue
    30 Black
    28 Clear

There are another 33 birds that are "don't care", so those have to come off of those numbers. Also, these counts are based on "allocating" both the colors for birds one and two, and there may need to be some re-allocation of bird 2...

We'd all (meaning Parallax and myself) like to only deal with this once, so as long as we keep submissions rolling in, we're going to try and do this all in one shipment. At the current rate, we'll be filled by, or over the weekend. If things tail off, and we get to Monday without filling the list, we'll probably do a shipment then, but if we're down to only one or two slots, we'll make a push to get them filled first.

With our 73 submissions, we've already raised over $10,000 for charity! What a great group of people! (and one Martian).
  • electromanjelectromanj Posts: 270
    edited 2011-02-02 19:03
    Well John, since we are nearing the end of this thing, I just want to say... Thanks! I know this has taken alot of your personal time, and you have done a fine job staying on top of it. I'm sure the amount of corespondance that is seen here on this thead is just the tip of the iceburg (couldn't help it) of what you'Ve been sorting through. Thanks to Parallax also. What a wonderful way to handle this situation. When I think of all the people that will benefit from this eVent...well it's pretty impressive.

Travis
  • tim1986tim1986 Posts: 41
    edited 2011-02-02 20:32
    I definitely second Travis! Thank you John, Ken and Parallax! I really like this idea to save the penguin kits and allow parallax's customers to tinker with their circuits. I think that this can help people understand circuits a little better.
    -Tim Ballas
    edited 2011-02-04 02:28
    I finally got my order in. The charity donation has gone to help save elderly people who are poor and penniless and have no food and no place to stay. Whenever I program and work on these two Penguin robots, I will remember the good cause and good will they have provided. When I wrote the article about Penguin robot superhero, he was saving the world. Now, once again, Penguin robot is helping save the world. Guys, this little tiny Penguin robot is absolutely the greatest robot in the world! If ever a robot had a big heart, it would be our little Penguin pal. Many thanks to Ken Gracey, Parallax, and Forum friends, for making this wonderful dream come true!
    edited 2011-02-04 09:04
    OK Team - We're down to the home stretch! We've got 14 slots left on the list, let's fill it up this weekend, and get these birds "on the wing" to their new homes!

14 Slots Left!
    edited 2011-02-05 01:46
    How long does it currently take to receive confirmation of order?
    edited 2011-02-05 06:04
    How long does it currently take to receive confirmation of order?

It depends on what else is happening in life :-) Currently I have 6 submissions to get on the list and send the confirmation, I believe yours is one of them. They will be processed latter this morning.
    edited 2011-02-05 07:15
    OK Gang, we're getting close! We're down to 12 slots left!

Here is a preliminary balance of colors left:

-2 Red
    12 Blue
    29 Black
    24 Clear

There are another 38 birds that are "don't care", so those have to come off of those numbers. Also, these counts are based on "allocating" both the colors for birds one and two, and there will need to be some re-allocation of bird 2 (we are currently overallocated on the red birds).

More importantly, we're up to over $11,000 in contributions to charity!

Let's fill the list!