Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
The March of the Penguins - Closed! — Parallax Forums

The March of the Penguins - Closed!

John R.John R. Posts: 1,376
edited 2011-03-03 04:17 in Robotics
The List has been filled - the offer is closed!

[Posted on Behalf of Parallax by John R.]

OOPS! That's something you don't want to hear your dentist say, but everyone once in a while it happens within the hallowed walls of Parallax.

As many of you may already know, when Parallax re-designed parts of the Penguin electronics, we had an "Oops!" moment. The new batch of little guys worked flawlessly. As long as you kept the USB Cable connected. As this tends to make the cute little guy a bit less mobile, and much less stable, this is not a viable situation.

This interesting learning experience for our Engineering Staff, on how to write complete testing specifications, has become an opportunity for you, and for your favorite non-profit/charitable organization!

See this thread: http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?125461-Penguin-Rework-Instructions for more details, but with the assistance of Andrew and WBA Consulting, we have put together a rework kit and instructions to make this batch of Penguins usable.

For more information on these cute guys, see this product page: http://www.parallax.com/StoreSearchResults/tabid/768/txtSearch/penguin/List/0/SortField/4/ProductID/435/Default.aspx, and this thread: http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?97288-Penguin-Resources

Because these birds will require re-work, we can't sell them. But we're not just going to give them away either, so here's the scoop:

You make a donation of at least $100 (US Dollars or equivalent) to a non-profit charity, and Parallax will send you Two (2) count them again, Two (2) Penguins, along with Two (2) rework kits! Even better, you get to pick the colors! (Sort of, see below.) By “Charity” the idea is to stimulate giving to an organization that helps others. We’d like to also a donation that is not part of a “regular” donation (i.e. your Church offerings or other memberships don’t count). There is an obvious amount of trust here, ahd while we’re asking for some type of “proof”, we certainly are not going to be doing any auditing. We’ll also rely on your judgment for things like the Optimists Club or other service organizations. If your local group or chapter is helping run a food pantry, or something like that, they count, if they are more involved with civic projects like parks and swing sets, we’d like you to select something more in tune with “helping those less fortunate”.

Why Two (2)? Because the rework involves surface mount soldering in some tight quarters, and after you've helped out your favorite non-profit charity, Parallax wants to give you more than a fair chance at having a working Penguin. If you're good, you'll end up with Two (2) Working Penguins!

So now you're saying to yourself, "OK, Count me in!" How do I get my Two (2) birds from the bush into my hand? There are five (5) simple steps:

Step 1: Make a donation to your favorite non-profit charity, or use a past onc that's been made sometime after January 1, 2011.

Step 2: Get yourself an electronic copy of the receipt, canceled check, or a partial copy of your credit card statement showing the donation. Paper does not work. It won't go through the SMTP servers very well.

Step 3: Copy the form below into an e-mail message, and fill out he form. (Insert an "X" between the square brackets to indicate choices.

Step 4: Attach the electronic copy of your "proof of donation" to the e-mail.

Step 5: Send the e-mail to: penguins@raffy.us Do not attempt to send paper, and do not send your request to any other e-mail address. Do not phone Parallax. Do not stop by Parallax (at least for this offer). The only way to get in on this is by making a donation, and sending electronic information to penguins@raffy.us!

We’re starting with a total of 187 birds in the following colors:
  • 40 Red
  • 63 Black
  • 41 Blue
  • 43 Clear/Aluminum (not “see through” clear, but clear anodizing over the un-feathered aluminum)
The first 93 e-mail messages received that have all the required information will be processed as follows. (The lone Penguin left over will be put on the next available transport to Antarctica, and released into the wild.) An attempt will be made to alert "unqualified" submissions that they need to try again, but timing may be a problem.

After the maximum number of submissions are received (plus a few extra "just in case"), the e-mail address will be disabled. This means that if you get the dreaded "Delivery Error: no such address", you're too late. We will notify any submitters that get in before we turn off the address that they were too late. We'll also post a follow up message to this thread that the offer has been closed.

John R. from our forums here (AKA Raffy, AKA the Unofficial Video Guy for the Unofficial Propeller Expos, AKA "me") will put the information in a spread sheet for Parallax so that all they have to do is print labels and deliver them to the post office.

We only have a fixed number of each color, so color selection will be handled as follows. We've done things this way so that we can maximize the number of donators that get at least one Penguin in the color of their choice.

Based on the order the e-mails ARRIVE (not responsible for quirks or delays with the SMTP daemons) the first pass of color assignments will assign the color of Penguin #1 based on user color priority and available birds.

Pass number two, again, in order received, will work on matching colors for those who indicated that they wanted a matched set. If, by the time we get to your name on this pass, we cannot match the color of your first Penguin, we'll swap it (the first Penguin) for a color that we can match (based on your priorities). It may be impossible to provide you with a matched pair, but we'll do our best.

Pass number three will fill in the rest, based on the order the e-mails arrived, and the priority you indicated for your colors.

Some important Notes:

Parallax will be shipping out the Penguins via USPS, both domestic and international. This means that you may use a PO Box for your address. As Parallax is picking up the tab on the shipping, and does not have a way to run this through the “normal” systems, this is the only shipping option available.

The color(s) you get, are the color(s) you get. We'll do our best to get you your favorite color(s), but we only have a fixed set of birds to work with.

If you mess up the re-work on both Penguins, there isn’t a lot that we can do. The support we can provide is limited, and there certainly will not be any parts available, and we will not be accepting any returns.

If the process of getting submissions goes slower than anticipated, we'll post an update on the number of submissions, and where we're at with available colors.

>8 Beginning of Form 8<

Name:

Ship To Address:

Penguin Color Match Preference: 
      [   ] Match   
      [   ] Different
      [   ] Doesn't Matter

Penguin Number 1 Color Preference (Rank 1 to 4)
      [   ] Red
      [   ] Blue
      [   ] Black
      [   ] Clear/Aluminum
      [   ] Doesn't Matter

Penguin Number 2 Color Preference (Rank 1 to 4)
      [   ] Red
      [   ] Blue
      [   ] Black
      [   ] Clear/Aluminum
      [   ] Doesn't Matter

Note: Match/Different has priority over Color Number 1.  
In other words, if you select "Match" (or Different) and we don't have a second Penguin
in the color you have for Penguin Number 1 when we come back to you, we'll change 
Penguin number 1 so that we can get you matching (or different) colored penguins.

Non-Profit Name:

Donation amount:

Either attach an electronic copy of a receipt, or include a copy of an e-mail 
receipt (as an attachment or include below).

Comments

• Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2011-01-24 17:37
    Thank you JohnR for your volunteer effort. Your effort is what we needed to get these little birds into their new homes. All of them are ready to ship pending a little part from Digi-Key. As you can see from the picture below, the Emperor Penguin is guarding the Little Penguins (in the boxes) but once JohnR sends me the list these little birds shall fly your direction.

The $100 donation you will make should benefit a charity more than a non-profit. Charity organizations that feed, cloth and house others are a great choice, domestic or overseas. Maybe an organization that provides a specific kind of medical help is a good idea, too. Or one that serves the elderly. We're giving you a bit of latitude here, but asking that you focus on organizations that really help those who need it. I don't think JohnR is going to evaluate all of your donation choices -- we trust you!

And we'll send the penguins out for free. The rework is simple in nature, but serious in precision. That's why you get two birds in the hand.

When we're done you will have raised $10,000 for charity.

Ken Gracey
    Parallax Inc.

attachment.php?attachmentid=77580&d=1295919467
    800 x 1067 - 214K
  • blittledblittled Posts: 681
    edited 2011-01-24 18:53
    I have one question to muddy the water. Do monthly donations count? For example I give $30 a month to a child in Africa through World Vision.
  • John R.John R. Posts: 1,376
    edited 2011-01-24 19:21
    blittled wrote: »
    I have one question to muddy the water. Do monthly donations count? For example I give $30 a month to a child in Africa through World Vision.

In talking with Ken, the preference was to have single donation. Part of the scoop, was the sincere hope that we'd be helping people that over and above what we're already doing. Kind of a "instead of sending $100 to Parallax to buy a Penguin, give to a charity".

The key thing there in my mind is the "over and above". I initially had the "back date" at December 1, and given the "over and above" philosophy, I changed that to Jan 1 because so many people give just before the holidays anyway.

Maybe Ken will have a different take on things, and we can adapt.

This whole thing (deciding what qualifies and doesn't) is a dicey thing. I'm not going to pick these things apart. We're relying on this community to come through for charity, and use their own judgment. There is a high level of trust we're placing on the forum members.

Having said all that, the guiding thoughts should be:
    • Give to a charity that helps others that are less fortunate.
    • The donation should be something above and beyond what you would normally have given.
    When all is said and done, Let's keep it simple. Submit what you think falls into the above two criteria. Unless I see something like "Joe's Hookah Club", we're good!
  • HumanoidoHumanoido Posts: 5,770
    edited 2011-01-25 04:42
    Ken Gracey wrote: »
    As you can see from the picture below, the Emperor Penguin is guarding the Little Penguins (in the boxes) but once JohnR sends me the list these little birds shall fly your direction. Ken Gracey
    Ken, that's a really big and impressive Penguin! It looks like it could be over 2-feet tall and hold a lot of babies - at least 3 on each foot! Are the batteries really up there mounted near the top?
  • schillschill Posts: 741
    edited 2011-01-25 06:36
    I know it would add a lot more bookkeeping, but is there a way we can "reserve" a spot before we have proof of donation?

I have a donation in mind, but it looks like I can't donate online and I'm not sure when I'd get the receipt. I'd hate to miss out because of snail mail.
    edited 2011-01-25 07:10
    Schill;

Sorry, but this (reservations) just isn't something we're not in a position to do. We need to keep things simple on our end. If it makes you feel any better, so far, as of 9:09 AM CST, on January 25th, we only have 3 submissions.
    edited 2011-01-25 07:12
    John R. wrote: »
    Sorry, but this (reservations) just isn't something we're not in a position to do. We need to keep things simple on our end. If it makes you feel any better, so far, as of 9:09 AM CST, on January 25th, we only have 3 submissions.

I figured that would be the case :) . So, you've just forced me to donate to a different organization (in addition to the first one, not instead of them).

Edit: And the email has been sent. Thanks for handling this, John.
  • doggiedocdoggiedoc Posts: 2,240
    edited 2011-01-25 09:30
    I'm in. Email sent.

Thanks for doing this John. Seems like a win, win, win situation.

Paul
    edited 2011-01-26 07:23
    Guys;

I'm glad to help out here!

To be honest, this has so far been WAY to easy. There have only been 6 submissions so far. We were anticipating a more "vigerous" response. I was expecting to be sending Ken a completed list of shipping addresses by, or over the weekend.

So a couple questions:
    • Have we made this too complex?
    • Is it just taking time to make donations and get submissions together?
    • Are you having problems convincing your "Financial Advisor" that this is something you should do?
    • Was there really this little demand for these little guys?
    I know this group cares about helping people. I can't believe that asking for a $100 donation to a charity is the problem. That's way cheaper than buying even just one of these Penguins, and you have the chance for two!

This is a great opportunity for everyone involved:
    • Your favorite charity gets a boost!
    • You get two (2) Penguins and two (2) rework kits.
    • Ken Gracey gets his office space back!
    • You get to amaze your family, friends and relatives with this cute little guy, and his/her amazing capabilities.
    If there is something we can do to make this easier, please let me know!
    edited 2011-01-26 08:16
    Guys;
    I'm glad to help out here!
    To be honest, this has so far been WAY to easy. There have only been 6 submissions so far. We were anticipating a more "vigerous" response. I was expecting to be sending Ken a completed list of shipping addresses by, or over the weekend.
    So a couple questions:
    • Have we made this too complex?
    • Is it just taking time to make donations and get submissions together?
    • Are you having problems convincing your "Financial Advisor" that this is something you should do?
    • Was there really this little demand for these little guys?
    I know this group cares about helping people. I can't believe that asking for a $100 donation to a charity is the problem. That's way cheaper than buying even just one of these Penguins, and you have the chance for two!
    This is a great opportunity for everyone involved:
    • Your favorite charity gets a boost!
    • You get two (2) Penguins and two (2) rework kits.
    • Ken Gracey gets his office space back!
    • You get to amaze your family, friends and relatives with this cute little guy, and his/her amazing capabilities.
    If there is something we can do to make this easier, please let me know!
    It's a very good Penguin deal plus I'll throw in several hundred free programs for the adorable cute little servo driven bird, including dance, skate, walk, run, Penguinese Speak, Penguin Radio, Penguin Music Synthesizer, and super hero. Plus I can also offer interfacing for numerous sensors, PIR, LCD, IR Com, Display, )))Ping, LED, etc. and a full year's worth of Penguin Tech magazines plus membership into the Penguin Robot Society.
    edited 2011-01-26 08:17
    So maybe they should just be divided evenly among those who've already committed? If I need to, I'll try to find room for 31 of them. :)

Maybe there should be a deadline for a "first round" of distribution. Make it long enough to allow people to make the appropriate/required arrangements for donating but not so long that nobody sees anything for months (if things are really going to go slowly). This might encourage people who are on the edge or just waiting to go ahead and participate now.

In the end, if there just aren't enough people interested, I'm probably interested in picking up some more (for an additional donation, of course).

I expect some could also be raffled off pretty easily at the UPEs.

Also, maybe something needs to be done to draw more attention to this thread. There may be people who have been waiting to find out what's going to happen but haven't noticed this yet.
  • blittledblittled Posts: 681
    edited 2011-01-26 09:26
    The low turn out may be timing. Many people pay off their Christmas bills in January. Also many make give to charities during the Christmas season so many people may be tapped out. Maybe in February there will be a better response. The best time to do this would've been the Christmas season but we can't ask Ken to give up his office until then :).
  • Martin_HMartin_H Posts: 4,051
    edited 2011-01-26 09:30
    Actually it was learned helplessness on my part. I figured all 93 would be gone before I could act on it, so I didn't try. I just made a donation to Greater Boston Food Bank and sent an e-mail to the above address. I've been fiddling around with SMD soldering hoping to build skills for this.
  • Jen J.Jen J. Posts: 649
    edited 2011-01-26 14:03
    H3_CharityPenguin.jpg

We're adding a link to this thread from the Parallax.com home page for awhile. That should help stir up a bit more interest as well.

Cheers, Jen J.
    300 x 201 - 37K
  • tstormtstorm Posts: 1
    edited 2011-01-26 15:15
    I really like this idea and might participate. Tomorrow is payday. Is there a place to see how many are left? I don't care about color.
  • Paul Sr.Paul Sr. Posts: 435
    edited 2011-01-26 15:41
    I'm in!

Thanks for your effort, John!
  • Martin HodgeMartin Hodge Posts: 1,246
    edited 2011-01-26 16:02
    I was hoping to be able to repair the Penguins and then donate them to the local school system. Currently I have more time than money.
  • doggiedocdoggiedoc Posts: 2,240
    edited 2011-01-26 16:10
    John R.,

If response remains low would you entertain the idea of those of us who have made a donation towards 2 repairs make a 2nd donation towards 2 more repairs? I have other charities locally that I'd like to contribute to and I will like the challenge of repair process.

Paul
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2011-01-26 16:23
    It's hard to believe the slow response, people have been clamoring for these Penguins for a long time. If they snooze, they lose. For newcomers, dive right in. Don't let the lack of Penguin info on the Parallax website deter you: http://www.parallax.com/StoreSearchResults/tabid/768/txtSearch/penguin/List/0/SortField/4/ProductID/435/Default.aspx

Humanoido is the Penguin's Patron Saint, and his tireless efforts in programming and promoting the Penguin are legendary. Check out his many Youtube videos showing Penguin moves:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9owSIXhh_Mo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Duxpxu4Bhs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQwxJN6f-oQ
    edited 2011-01-26 16:28
    I emailed my info to raffy yesterday. No reply received yet. Per the original post, I trust no news is good news. Has anyone else received any reply or confirmation?

Great promo, BTW. Parallax raises the bar AGAIN!
    edited 2011-01-26 16:31
    I'm beginning to see my 31 penguins slipping away...slowly dwindling down to 2.
    edited 2011-01-26 16:54
    It looks like we might be picking up a little steam. We're up to 10 submissions. As long as the pace stays slow enough, I'll start sending out a quick reply that just says something like "You're on the list.". I was expecting more of a "flood" (and that may yet come), and didn't want to set a precedent that I couldn't keep up with. I also don't want anyone to panic if I fall behind!

As far as questions about multiple submissions, and shipping out before we're all "sold out", let's see how things go through the weekend, and I'll get with Ken on Monday or Tuesday.

As a heads up: I can keep half an eye on things during the work day, and have tried to keep up with any questions. Tomorrow night I have 4H robots, so will appear "missing in action". Saturday morning and into the afternoon, I get to help my cousin move, and again, will be "away from the keyboard". (side note: Late January is not a very nice time to move in Wisconsin.)

As it stand right now, supply is good on all colors. As the list starts to fill up, I'll post an update on numbers (and colors) as I'm able.

Thanks to everyone for supporting this effort, and a special thank you to Jen for giving us some space on the home page!
  • Martin_HMartin_H Posts: 4,051
    edited 2011-01-26 18:16
    Thanks again to John R for coordinating and Parallax for sponsoring.

To everyone who hasn't jumped on the bandwagon. Walking robots are a lot of fun, and this is a way to get one cheaply, while help somebody else out too!

I'll admit to being nervous about the rework. I've read through the fix instructions and conceptually its pretty simple. Really the only hitch is that we're dealing with surface mount parts. So for my upcoming role as robo-avian vet, I'm going to get a new fine tip for my soldering iron. I already have a fresh blade in my X-acto knife and a lighted magnifying glass.

But even if I mess up the mechanical components could be used with a home brew brain.
    edited 2011-01-26 18:18
    The new Penguin has some very nice features added over the older version for much more capability. So this deal to get two new Penguins is absolutely fantastic. What you may not realize, there are many more things you can do with two Penguins. Two Penguins can communicate back and forth wireless and you don't need any add-on hardware. The new display is remarkable and can do text messages and display the English alphabet. Also the Penguin board is the most powerful BS2px available from Parallax. That board set alone is extremely valuable.
    edited 2011-01-26 18:37
    Some more thoughts on the good Penguin deal. The board set is the smallest of all boards. It's so small, it fits in the palm of your hand. For an example, you can see a Pocket Penguin made using just the two boards and a rubber band here. I'm also starting to put some Penguin links here under the Robots title. Many Penguin projects and code are already listed at the PRS web sit here. That link is the new updated web site. While your at those links, check out the Penguin Humanizer!!! That thing is just amazing!!!
    edited 2011-01-26 18:50
    I love Penguin Walking Robots - it may be one of the most documented robots in history. There are around 1,000 programs written for Penguin and for some time I was busy posting several hundred. Penguin has appeared in magazines numerous times, won promotions, and accomplished great things like becoming a superhero. It's not only a highly educational robot but a very capable small robot as well. For your personal protection, Penguin can determine the distance of an approaching dangerous storm or become your scout compass. For HAM RADIO nuts, it does Morse Code and can be integrated into your transmitter. For SciFi fans, it has all the sounds including phasers, ray guns, canons, and even the radio band from an Alien planet. (you can hear some alien dudes talking in the background) My favorite is the Penguin motor. You can rev it, tune it, change it, and take it for a spin. Penguin twins - it's a "must have!"
    edited 2011-01-26 19:04
    Hey Humanoido:

Do you like the Parallax Penguin Robots? I can't tell :-)

- Thanks for helping hype these guys up, they have earned it!
    edited 2011-01-26 23:02
    Hey Humanoido: Do you like the Parallax Penguin Robots? I can't tell :-) - Thanks for helping hype these guys up, they have earned it!
    John, you're welcome, but, I'm not even warmed up yet. We've developed an entire series of Penguin Persona. There's the Penguin on LCD, the BAT Penguin inspired from Batman, the Penguin Superhero inspired from Superman, Penguin Iron Man (lifts weights), Penguin Happy Dancer, Penguin the Athelete (does aerobics to improve your health if you follow along, Tai Chi, Soccer, Line Dance, Runner, SUMO), Penguin on roller skates, the Penguin Humanizer already mentioned, Penguin Dragon (with a camera), the Pocket Penguin, the Penguin Boe-Bot, the Copy Cat Penguins, Penguin the Flash (extremely fast running), Old Age Penguin, the See-in-the-Dark Penguins, the Transformer Penguins, the Big Brain Memory Penguin, the Penguin Mapper with GPS, the Penguin Doctor that can take your temperature without touching you, the red Hell Boy Penguin (with a big pink hand so big you won't believe it!), the Penguin with a supercomputer for a brain, Penguin the HAM RADIO BUFF (morse code sender, tapper, keyer), Penguin the Gamer (plays Tic Tac Toe), Penguin the Controlled (IR hand remote controls your Penguin), and this is just a small partial list. The rest is a surprise after you get your penguins up and literally running!
    edited 2011-01-27 00:28
    Humanoido wrote: »
    Penguin twins - it's a "must have!"

I second that emotion!
    735 x 650 - 71K
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    edited 2011-01-27 05:45
    @erco - Man, they are growing!