Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Parallax WiFi Module - Page 4 — Parallax Forums

Parallax WiFi Module

124»

Comments

• TorTor Posts: 2,010
    edited 2011-07-23 08:17
    I've read through all the wi-fi threads (including this very interesting one). But:
    Rough feature list:
    Wireless protocol: 802.11b

802.11b? But.. but.. no g? That protocol (802.11b) is being phased out, many wi-fi routers are even configured not to accept 802.11b. Is it really b, or maybe it was a typo?
    WiFi security types: Open, WEP, WPA, WPA-PSK, WPA2, WPA2-PSK [+other specs]
    All this looks great though!

-Tor
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2011-07-23 08:39
    Tor wrote: »
    802.11b? But.. but.. no g? That protocol (802.11b) is being phased out, many wi-fi routers are even configured not to accept 802.11b. Is it really b, or maybe it was a typo?
    -Tor

Bummer. That could be a deal breaker for some.
  • Mike GMike G Posts: 2,702
    edited 2011-07-23 18:36
    Tor wrote:
    many wi-fi routers are even configured not to accept 802.11b
    Please provider details.
  • TorTor Posts: 2,010
    edited 2011-07-24 03:46
    Mike G wrote: »
    Please provider details.
    Check any wireless router. My ASUS at home has an option for de-selecting 802.11b (as I recall I disabled b on it at the time I set it up). Here at work I just now grabbed a Linksys WAP54G out of storage, unpacked it and powered it on. Went into configuration. In the wireless section the first option is 'Mode'. Selction: Mixed/Wireless G Only/Wireless B Only.

One reason it gets disabled (and I _know_ people disable it) is that it has a small, but non-zero penalty on G performance. Google for e.g. "Hybrid IEEE 80211b and 80211g". That's enough for admins and AP owners to disable b, in addition to b just being considered obsolete.

-Tor
  • $WMc%$WMc% Posts: 1,884
    edited 2011-08-03 18:26
  • Mike GMike G Posts: 2,702
    edited 2011-08-06 15:35
    I'm chomping at the bit to get my hands on one of these WiFi Modules. Is it possible to get a peek at the datasheet and/or manual?
  • Kevin McCulloughKevin McCullough Posts: 62
    edited 2011-08-12 00:05
    Unfortunately we don't have a datasheet or manual ready yet.

Also, as to why I seemed to have dropped off the face of the planet in responding to WiFi... in summary a very brief project came up that is temporarily taking all my time. See this post:
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?133708-Parallax-WiFi-What-has-happened-now!&p=1026487&viewfull=1#post1026487
  • alex123alex123 Posts: 102
    edited 2011-08-14 11:37
    Since the Parallax WiFi module was not ready when I started my project I found one made by Microchip:

http://www.microchip.com/wwwproducts/Devices.aspx?dDocName=en548014#2

I just received it and hope to find time to play with it this week. It seems to have similar capabilites as mentioned in one of the previous posts.
    $30 will be hard to beat though...
  • Techead13Techead13 Posts: 9
    edited 2011-08-15 10:00
    I have a few questions about the wifi module.

How much does it cost?

Are there any iphone or android apps to program or control with the wifi module?

If i have a moble hotspot would it still work?

And can the robot and the computer be on different networks?

I NEED one of these and I can`t wait until its done:smile:
  • BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2011-08-15 11:29
    Techead13, I'm currently learning how to write android apps.
    I'm sure I'll have a couple to post after I get my grubby hands on one of the Parallax WiFi modules.
    What type of android apps are you looking for ?

As for if they need to be on the same network, it depends if you have a static IP address. And have port forwarding setup on your router.

Bean
    edited 2011-08-15 11:33
    Well I was hopping on getting an iPhone app

But I wanted an app that would let me program and edit programs on my phone
    edited 2011-08-15 12:19
    And maybe some way to transfer your programs from your computer to your phone
  • nohabnohab Posts: 96
    edited 2011-08-16 02:53
    "What type of android apps are you looking for ?"

From tutorial point of view I would very much appreciate a simple app where I can define the free pins as inputs or outputs,
    and then read the inputs and set the outputs (continously)
    In it's simple form it can be used as a (rather raw) remote control, but hopefully it's a good start to develop from?!
    (maybe also an input text box and an output label)
  • John R.John R. Posts: 1,376
    edited 2011-08-16 04:44
    Setting "secret projects" aside, does anyone from Parallax have any type of update on the status of this product? I find it difficult to comprehend that Marketing would be happy with resources being pulled from this oft delayed product if all we were waiting on is documentation and packaging. This was "on the final assembly line" several weeks ago. Does one correctly "assume" that there are problems with the hardware or firmware? Leaving something like this to the speculation of us "outsiders" is probably not the wisest PR move, especially given the long history of this project.
  • BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2011-08-16 04:52
    John,
    I have no idea, but if it's anything like the products I released it is probably the documentation that is the hold up.
    You would not believe the hours it takes to document and show example code for a product.

Bean
    edited 2011-08-17 11:47
    I can't wait to get one of those
  • Bill ChennaultBill Chennault Posts: 1,198
    edited 2011-08-23 19:43
    Ken and Kevin and Matt and All Parallax People--

Will you please give us an update on the WiFi module?

Thank you!

--Bill
  • bellshapedheadbellshapedhead Posts: 9
    edited 2011-09-08 09:25
    Just wondering if there had been an update..... I am going to be buying a couple of wifi modules in the next 30 to 60 days for a project. I would prefer to buy them from Parallax. Any idea of an availability date?
  • Jessica UelmenJessica Uelmen Posts: 490
    edited 2011-09-08 16:05
    Hey everyone,

We're currently pooling our resources to the "mystery project" at the moment, so unfortunately WiFi has been put on hold. We're looking to get back into full swing at the beginning of next month, when we'll be working to finish up the firmware and documentation.

I know everyone's been hankerin' for this for awhile and more delays are not what you want to hear, but hopefully when we're able to announce the "mystery project" you'll see the reasoning for the delay.

Thanks for your patience, and I look forward to being the bearer of good news soon!

Cheers,
    Jessica
    edited 2011-09-08 18:04
    I really hope this "mystery project" is interesting because I wanted that wifi module.
    When do we get to hear about it?
  • bellshapedheadbellshapedhead Posts: 9
    edited 2011-09-09 04:46
    Thanks Jessica. Unfortunately that means I will probably be buying the wifi modules someplace else, but I understand the need to focus on the new project. Hopefully we will get more details soon. Thanks for the quick response.
  • Jessica UelmenJessica Uelmen Posts: 490
    edited 2011-09-09 09:50
    Yes, we will keep you updated as much as we can!

The "mystery project" will be revealed on 17 September at Maker Faire.

Cheers,
    Jessica
  • treborz17treborz17 Posts: 76
    edited 2011-09-19 17:11
    "Yes, we will keep you updated as much as we can!

The "mystery project" will be revealed on 17 September at Maker Faire.

Cheers,
    Jessica "

Was the Makey award on the 16th the mystery project" ....if not what on the 17th was?

Robert

post scriptum: Congrats on the Makey award!