Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Parallax WiFi Module — Parallax Forums

Parallax WiFi Module

Bill ChennaultBill Chennault Posts: 1,198
edited 2011-09-19 17:11 in Accessories
Ken and Chris and All Parallax People--

First, Happy New Year!

Second, may we have an update on the long awaited, eagerly anticipated, and much wanted Parallax WiFi module?

--Bill

Comments

• $WMc%$WMc% Posts: 1,884
    edited 2011-01-01 15:52
    Happy New Year!
    '
    Is Parallax working on a WiFi module?
    '
    I think they ditched the idea a while back. Due to a IC manufacturer platform change,( A major change )
    '
    I could really use a WiFi module. REALLY
    '
    Can we get some feed back from Parallax?
    '
    A simple yes or no will do.
    ;
    Thanks
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2011-01-01 20:49
    Hey Bill and $WMc%,

As a refresher be sure to read this response again: http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?126301-WiFi-Module&highlight=wifi+module and you'll see that we didn't "ditch" the project by any means - quite the opposite and we're into this deeper than ever, aiming for immediate completion.

I won't know for certain where we are with the project until Monday when I meet with two of the engineers. We ordered the final prototype hardware just before we left for Christmas, so a top priority is to get that hardware built and tested right away.

I'm glad that I know we'll sell at least two units to you guys. Hopefully you're a couple of vocal guys that represent at least 5,000 customers each because that's what it's going to take to get our return on investment back. :smile:

I'll come back here with more information.

Thanks,

Ken Gracey
    Parallax Inc.
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2011-01-01 22:36
    Thanks Ken, put me down for at least one (more if I can afford them)
    edited 2011-01-02 09:21
    Ken Gracey wrote: »
    Hey Bill and $WMc%,

As a refresher be sure to read this response again: http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?126301-WiFi-Module&highlight=wifi+module and you'll see that we didn't "ditch" the project by any means - quite the opposite and we're into this deeper than ever, aiming for immediate completion.

I won't know for certain where we are with the project until Monday when I meet with two of the engineers. We ordered the final prototype hardware just before we left for Christmas, so a top priority is to get that hardware built and tested right away.

I'm glad that I know we'll sell at least two units to you guys. Hopefully you're a couple of vocal guys that represent at least 5,000 customers each because that's what it's going to take to get our return on investment back. :smile:

Thanks,

Ken Gracey
    Parallax Inc.
    '
    Ken:
    '
    This is great news.
    '
    I almost went else where for a WiFi module. But I'll wait a little longer for the Parallax unit.
    '
    Many thanks !!!!!!!
    '
    Happy New Year !!
    '
    Happy Birth Day !!
  • kf4ixmkf4ixm Posts: 529
    edited 2011-01-03 05:27
    I am definantly ready for one also Ken! anxiously, but patiently awaiting! :)
  • Brann FenixBrann Fenix Posts: 57
    edited 2011-01-04 11:27
    I would also grab one as soon as they came up for sale :)
  • JustinRJustinR Posts: 6
    edited 2011-01-13 11:40
    I would grab one or two of those up myself. I don't think you'd have a problem selling them at all Ken!

-Justin Ratliff
  • Bill ChennaultBill Chennault Posts: 1,198
    edited 2011-01-13 12:05
    Ken--
    I know you've been a little busy; the HB-25 thread was simply fascinating! It provided an insider's look into how a part of the industry really works.

Do you have time to give us more info on the WiFi project? Can I send money now? :)

--Bill
    edited 2011-01-13 15:13
    Hey Bill,

Today was to be a grand day in the world of Parallax WiFi. We were assembling a final prototype but discovered that a few of our pads were designed for 0603 components but should have been for 0402. We're in the process of figuring out where the problem occurred - during PCB layout? Were the right parts ordered? At this moment our manufacturing and purchasing people are meeting with the product engineer, and the PCB guy is on standby.

What it means for schedule isn't clear at this moment. I can tell you that we're making all kinds of efforts to run this product to completion right now. Processes are happening in parallel, such as the WiFi Configurator software, firmware and manufacturing efforts. Usually at a stage like this we're within 30 days of a release, but WiFi isn't a simple design so you can add time.

Because we are using WiFi for programming Propellers and BASIC Stamps it is complex. The WiFi dual-ARM processors must receive and download programs to their target device. If we only wanted a simple serial link this project would have been much easier.

More to follow when I have better news (or if you ask more questions).

Thanks for checking in,

Ken Gracey
  • kf4ixmkf4ixm Posts: 529
    edited 2011-01-14 12:01
    Thank you for the update Ken, i'm sure i speak for everyone concerned when i say that we really appreciate all the hard work both you and Parallax does as a company for it's loyal customers as far as keeping us updated and asking us our opinions on new products.
    edited 2011-01-14 12:32
    Ken and All--

I joined the forum as a newbie in the summer of '06. My sole purpose in joining was to find a WiFi component for my many automation and robotics ideas. I particpated in lobbying Parallax for just such a part. Eventually, Parallax began the project. I was very excited when this happened!

I remain a newbie and I remain just as excited about the Parallax WiFi project and its suitability for my use. I also remain very excited about the potential uses the wide Parallax community will find for the WiFi part. (I'm sure that community will get even wider with its introduction.)

Through the years since I joined this forum in search of the WiFi component, I have learned about Parallax components and I have enjoyed using them. But, the most important thing I have learned and the thing that has kept me here all this time is the unparalleled support Parallax provides to its user community.

Can't wait for WiFi! :)

--Bill
  • MoskogMoskog Posts: 554
    edited 2011-01-16 09:14
    ....the most important thing I have learned and the thing that has kept me here all this time is the unparalleled support Parallax provides to its user community.

Well said!
    edited 2011-02-02 15:11
    Ken--

How about another WiFi module update, please?

--Bill
    edited 2011-02-03 10:26
    Ken--

How about another WiFi module update, please?

--Bill

You bet, Bill. I'll provide it as an excerpt from our internal communications.

Friday, February 4th – All functions (except BS2 & Propeller ID/programming) ready for evaluation/testing.

Monday, February 7th – Documenting and specifying any main changes to the board/schematic based on evaluating/testing the prototypes recently built by manufacturing. Changes can implemented, but final boards will not be ordered until firmware is confirmed solid.

Monday, February 14th – Remaining functions for BS2 & Propeller ID/programming ready for evaluation/testing.

Monday 14th – Friday 18th - Working on documentation while implementing any bug-fixes or updates, and assisting engineer in any way possible with computer interface (WiFi Configurator).

When the combination of computer software and documentation is enough to begin usability testing, prototype modules are passed around for evaluation to Education and Tech Support. This date is dependent on a few different factors including what needs to be changed on the PCB (if there is rework), the degree of completion of documentation, and the degree of completion of computer software; but will likely be near the end of the week of Friday, February 18, or beginning of the week of Monday, February 21.

The estimated date to order final production boards will likely be Wednesday, February 23.

This means we'll be in production on March 1st. The production is the easy part after all we've been through, and we've exhausted our engineering allocation on this project, so it shall be completed at that time.

Thanks for checking in.

Ken Gracey
    edited 2011-02-03 10:49
    Ken--

Your updates are not only informative, but educational; I really get a clue about the fascinating stuff that goes on at Parallax.

I used to think I had a good job. Your's is better.

--Bill
  • bsnutbsnut Posts: 521
    edited 2011-02-04 08:08
    Ken,

Thank you for providing the great updates on the WiFi Module and a time line. This is providing the forum users a incite into the thinking of Parallax Inc.
    edited 2011-02-04 16:01
    @Bill:
    '
    Thanks for poking Ken
    '
    @Ken:
    '
    Thanks for the update
    '
    Any info on the output power (range) ?
    input voltage ?
    power consumption ?
    Will this be a Prop only device or will it also work with the Stamps ?
    '
    Thanks for any added info.
    '
    P.S. If you need some beta tester's Bill and my self would love to help you out.
    edited 2011-02-08 13:46
    Hey there,

Kevin demonstrated the Parallax WiFi Module today through PST and from his Android phone.

In the photos below he is configuring the module using PST and controlling a Boe-Bot from his Android phone. These were serial-WiFi demos and we're really close to the remote programming - firmware is written and we needed Jeff's software to demonstrate that part.

We're on target with the schedule I provided to Bill (above).

Ken Gracey

PLX-WiFi-Demo.jpg

PLX-WiFi.jpg
    800 x 598 - 126K
    800 x 598 - 107K
    edited 2011-02-08 14:23
    Ken--

It looks like it will fit in EVERY PROJECT I MAKE. :)

--Bill
  • Daniel HarrisDaniel Harris Posts: 207
    edited 2011-02-09 16:44
    Someone with a trained eye will see something a bit "off" in that picture where we are in the meeting room... *shifty eyes* :tongue:
  • Timothy D. SwieterTimothy D. Swieter Posts: 1,613
    edited 2011-02-09 16:45
    An Arduino on the table!? Oh dear, Parallax is being infiltrated.
  • Daniel HarrisDaniel Harris Posts: 207
    edited 2011-02-09 18:02
    Eh, its a bit off topic for the thread so I'll keep it short. Having been doing a lot of work with the Propeller recently and having never used an Arduino, I picked one up to get some perspective on the "hubbub". There was a 2 minute discussion on the packaging, which was refreshingly quite nice...

Back on topic... while in that meeting, Kevin demonstrated a feature that I thought was really cool. It looks like you will be able to telnet into the WiFi module and configure it with text strings. This would mean that a Spinneret connected to the wireless router that a WiFi module is associated with can send configuration data, and I would bet also program images. The last bit is speculation on my part, but if the WiFi module gets its information on port 23, then I see no reason why one couldn't establish a connection and send the data with a Spinneret. :D
  • BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2011-02-10 09:45
    Daniel,
    I'm doing telnet on the spinneret with my Spinneret Embedded BASIC. So I'm sure it can be done.

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?129444-Contest-Entry-Spinneret-Embedded-BASIC

Bean
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2011-02-10 12:51
    Ken, OUCH! That wasn't a very flattering picture of me! :tongue:
  • vanmunchvanmunch Posts: 568
    edited 2011-02-18 08:56
    Very cool! I'll take two and then two more and then... Seriously, this (and the documentation) opens up a whole new world for novices like me.
  • icepuckicepuck Posts: 466
    edited 2011-02-18 17:22
    Would that work with my S2?
    -dan
  • max72max72 Posts: 1,155
    edited 2011-02-27 06:33
    I wolud like to know if there is a feature list available, or better if someone knows the answer...
    I have a friend in love with the i-phone. I would like to be able to interface sensors with it using the propeller and the wi fi module. He will do the code I-phone side. Will the wifi module be the right solution for the task?

Massimo
    edited 2011-03-01 06:22
    Ken--
    This means we'll be in production on March 1st.

I wanna buy one now! Where do I send money? :)

Well, I suppose it is a LITTLE early on the west coast . . .

--Bill
    edited 2011-03-04 19:09
    Ken
    '
    Can you tell me the frequency that the Parallax WiFi runs at.
    '
    I assume its around 2.4GHz
    '
    I need to now this for wireless camera options and compatibility.
    '
    My current wireless camera wrecks havoc on my Netgear WiFi router when in close proximity. They run in the same 2.4Ghz range.
    '
    I also have a lot of stuff running in the 433MHz range.(Parallax pn# 27980 & 27981)
    '
    I plan to switch every thing over to WiFi, But not all at once.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2011-03-04 19:59
    $WMc%,
    The Parallax WiFi runs using the same frequency band as any other Wifi device, like your router. That's how it gets to be called WiFi. It's the same band used for Bluetooth and wireless 2.4GHz cameras.