• Bill ChennaultBill Chennault Posts: 1,198
    edited 2011-04-30 09:11
    Ken or Anyone--

Do you have time for a WiFi update?

Thanks!

--Bill
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2011-05-06 09:01
    Ken or Anyone--Do you have time for a WiFi update? Thanks!

--Bill

Bill,

Sorry for the delay. I have contacted the Engineer in charge of this project and asked that he give an update.
  • Kevin McCulloughKevin McCullough Posts: 62
    edited 2011-05-06 09:22
    Thanks for the reminder Chris,

Currently, the PCB is being updated with final hardware changes. And I'm wrapping up final changes in the firmware while testing through the various features to ensure they are working as intended. Hopefully should be sending off for the boards in a couple days so we can build up (what should be) final prototypes.

-Kevin
  • MrUmunhumMrUmunhum Posts: 2
    edited 2011-05-09 12:00
    Ken--

It looks like it will fit in EVERY PROJECT I MAKE. :)

--Bill
    Bill,

If all you want is serial-WiFi, try this out; Then let me know if it works?:smile: I think I am ready to test it?
  • jcrupijcrupi Posts: 3
    edited 2011-05-16 20:45
    Whats the status?
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2011-05-16 21:48
    jcrupi,

Since it's late and I'm really pooped out, I'll just post the Project Schedule in PDF. We're closing in on this one, once and for all.

The schedule has some issues: it doesn't show some dual-booking; it assumes Kevin is 100% available for WiFi (he's actually about 90%); the inventory count a the end of June [which grinds complicated BOMs to a halt];and that this last prototype passes all of our tests so we can order production PCBs. As you can see from the schedule we are supposed to launch this right around July 1st. You've heard ambitious release dates from me in the past, but we're really close to reaching our goal on this product. Most of the work is done and we're all really tired of the development process, especially Kevin. Thankfully any remaining tasks are short and very clear.

Tomorrow morning we meet again to fill in some completion amounts for the various tasks.

Ken Gracey
  • vanmunchvanmunch Posts: 568
    edited 2011-05-21 08:29
    Following this thread and the time it takes professionals to go through the development process including the bumps and delays helps give myself a little slack with my projects. I also enjoyed looking at your project management time line. I work for a large ag biotech firm that just started implementing that sort of thing a couple of years ago (about the time I joined) and pretty much everyone that we hired came from the electronics industry. It's helped a lot and if it's any consolation to you guys, the project I started on was originally, arbitrarily set to be commercialized in 2012, now that they've mapped out the process and the set-backs, its 2020. :)

Keep up the good work, thanks for everything.
    edited 2011-05-22 01:08
    Hi vanmunch, thanks a lot for your comments (and other members who've posted here also). You guys are very much appreciated.

-Kevin
  • Kirk FraserKirk Fraser Posts: 364
    edited 2011-05-28 14:54
    Can you supply a rough feature list? Will I be able to transmit one or more color camera feeds from robot to computer along with two-way full duplex control data?

On remote programming of a Prop, it seems you'll need security if used in a competition. What security will you offer? Can it program multiple Props with different prgroams in the same robot?

What distance will it stay accurate for? If I hook it up to a robot lawn mower, how big a lawn can it cover? Could it work for farm distances?

If a farmer or contest operator wanted a system on each cow or robot, which could report GPS, live video, and other data, would the modules cooperate to provide a herd display from a field or contest arena and locate strays?
    edited 2011-05-31 11:31
    Can you supply a rough feature list? Will I be able to transmit one or more color camera feeds from robot to computer along with two-way full duplex control data?
    Rough feature list:
    Wireless protocol: 802.11b
    Transmit power: +9dBm
    WiFi security types: Open, WEP, WPA, WPA-PSK, WPA2, WPA2-PSK
    Wired interface: RS232 level male DE9 connector (standard baud rates), USB Mini-B connector
    Power supply: External supply 3.3v - 18v (>5v recommended); or on-board rechargeable Li-Ion 3.6v cell. Module can automatically recharge the battery using USB or external power (when external is >5v).
    Battery life (on single charge): TBD
    Approx. overall dimensions: 2.7"H, 1.7"W, 1"D

The module operates just like a transparent serial link. So you would be able to send buffered images or video, but I would be skeptical about transmitting live feeds because of the baud rate limitations of the serial port.
    On remote programming of a Prop, it seems you'll need security if used in a competition. What security will you offer?
    We have not added encryption layers on top of the encryption you already get when operating on a secured wifi network. We plan to implement ad-hoc (peer to peer) network support soon so you could operate on your own private secured network in case you are concerned about someone packet sniffing and looking for the transmitted binary program image.
    Can it program multiple Props with different prgroams in the same robot?
    How are the multiple Props connected to the serial/programming port on your robot? Basically the module performs the same identification & programming operations as your computer would, so if there is some way you are accomplishing this right now using a serial cable then I would presume it should still work when using the WiFi module.
    What distance will it stay accurate for? If I hook it up to a robot lawn mower, how big a lawn can it cover? Could it work for farm distances?
    The range question is a really difficult one because it depends on so many environmental factors. We will do some range testing using various access points in some different environments to hopefully be able to provide a good basis for approximation. Depending on where your access point is located, you should pretty easily get wifi coverage throughout a typical house including most of (if not all) of a typical front & back yard. You could do a rough approximation if you have a smart phone, or other low-power wifi-enabled device. If you can stand out in your yard and can still access your wifi network to send/receive email or surf the web then you'll probably be in pretty good shape. If you have an Android phone, I would suggest downloading a free application called "Wifi Analyzer". It shows a really nice readout of the received signal strengths of any detected wifi network in range.
    If a farmer or contest operator wanted a system on each cow or robot, which could report GPS, live video, and other data, would the modules cooperate to provide a herd display from a field or contest arena and locate strays?
    The modules should work just fine in an arena type of location (especially if the access point is located up high) because there wouldn't be that many obstructions to attenuate the signal. Wifi is generally designed for convenient and high-speed connections in short- to mid-range applications. So if you are trying to operate across a huge farm or ranch you would probably want to use something like a GSM module or long range XBEE module.

Hope this answered your questions. :-)
    edited 2011-05-31 11:55
    Also, just wanted to give a quick status update...

We just had 2 prototype units built up and are in the process of testing them out. So far everything is working as expected! Wha hoo!! Here are some pics (attached).

-Kev

2011-05-31 11.43.41.jpg
    2011-05-31 11.44.08.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 80K
    1024 x 768 - 69K
  • vanmunchvanmunch Posts: 568
    edited 2011-05-31 12:04
    Cool. Are you going to bring one to the UPEC? (and demo? Fingers crossed)
    edited 2011-05-31 13:11
    Kevin--

You are a good human bean!

--Bill
  • Kirk FraserKirk Fraser Posts: 364
    edited 2011-05-31 19:55
    Thank you Kevin for the details! Now I know how to divide applications between products.

I'm still working on the multi-Prop robot so I don't yet know exactly what it will do with remote programming unless I dedicate one as master or use a wider pin count for my network. Still learning Spin.

Your security should be fine to prevent casual reprogramming of a robot by other users.
    edited 2011-06-01 11:18
    Kevin--

You are a good human bean!

--Bill

Indeed, he is a good human being.

And his product design is really top-notch! I'm absolutely certain that the effort he put into this product will be appreciated by our customers. The PCB design is truly optimized and very tidy, having been through several revisions. The physical layout makes a lot of sense and connects to our other products.

Kevin will be off work tomorrow and Friday so don't expect much of a reply. A good portion of the Parallax crew will be running a river in Nevada.

Ken Gracey
  • Don MDon M Posts: 1,647
    edited 2011-06-27 10:22
    Anymore news on this product?
    edited 2011-06-27 12:19
    Don M wrote: »
    Anymore news on this product?

The production PCB files are being sent off to fabrication today. Our first build is scheduled in two weeks, and we have all the components on-hand so we don't anticipate any further delays. We'll be using this time for P&P setup, test procedures and documentation.

Ken Gracey
  • $WMc%$WMc% Posts: 1,884
    edited 2011-07-12 15:07
    Ken:
    '
    Hows the WiFi coming?
    '
    Can we get an up-date?
    edited 2011-07-13 14:06
    Hey there,

I can provide a quick update. Parts and PCB's have been ordered and we are waiting for everything to arrive. I believe we are expecting all the parts around the end of this week or near the beginning of next week. Manufacturing has been really busy lately, and also since it is one of our more complex modules manufacturing, we anticipate things may take a little longer for the initial build. All-in-all though we should be able to have them ready for sale in just a couple weeks.
    edited 2011-07-13 15:07
    Thanks Kevin
    '
    I was afraid "Murphy's Law" had intervened again.
    edited 2011-07-13 16:34
    Hey Walter,

How's it going?

Update: Friday is supposed to be the first day of production! Yeah! All the parts, PCBs and pieces are in the office and Matt should be prepping the SMT line for WiFi.

I'm out of the office right now in Texas (RadioShack - good news to report!) but as soon as I return to home base we'll be sure that all the heads are nodding up and down, or at least faking it if they have to.

Over and out $WMc%. And yes, I'll get you the first one off the line as promised.

Ken Gracey
  • BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2011-07-13 17:30
    Ken Gracey wrote: »
    Over and out $WMc%. And yes, I'll get you the first one off the line as promised.
    Ken Gracey

Oh, I see how it is....
    We are playing favorites now are we...

Just kidding Ken ;)
    I'll can't wait to get these too. Keep the whip handy.

Bean
    edited 2011-07-13 17:39
    Ken!

Hey! Good on you! Good on all of you!

Bill!
    edited 2011-07-14 16:01
    Ken
    '
    Thanks for the up-date.
    '
    Having the very first production WiFi Module is why to cool.
    '
    Many Thanks
    '
    P.S. I'll be on the look-out for the RadioShack news too!
  • max72max72 Posts: 1,155
    edited 2011-07-15 00:36
    Time to test USPS shipping.. :-)
    Massimo
  • felipehangenfelipehangen Posts: 1
    edited 2011-07-19 21:12
    Hi,
    Could you confirm when will the module will be available for sale?
    /felipe
  • Matt GillilandMatt Gilliland Posts: 1,406
    edited 2011-07-21 16:32
    Hi felipehangen - Welcome to the Forums!

We started production Today :-) We'll let you know when they're available, but we're certainly getting real close...
    -Matt
  • Martin_HMartin_H Posts: 4,051
    edited 2011-07-22 10:06
    Any literature, price information, product manuals, or code samples to wet our appetite in the mean time? I'm really curious about this module and its cost.

My vague idea is that this is similar to the Bluewolf xbee programmer. Basically it allows a bi-directional wireless link to the microcontroller that can also assert DTR to allow for program uploads. This makes it better than Easy Bluetooth which can't do that. In addition with a propeller chip you could run a web server to allow for data access.
  • jazzedjazzed Posts: 11,803
    edited 2011-07-22 12:45
    Is there a brief "feature set" listing for this product?

Thanks,
    --Steve