Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Parallax products and Google SketchUP — Parallax Forums

Parallax products and Google SketchUP

NikosGNikosG Posts: 705
edited 2010-12-06 01:30 in General Discussion
Hello everybody,
First of all I would like to ask your understanding for my English language mistakes.
I would like to suggest the creation of an online database of 3d models of parallax products (robots, accessories, sensors, etc) made by the Google ShetchUP software.
You can easily download this free software from this page: http://sketchup.google.com/download/
I also send you a file with the Boe-bot in Sketchup format.
So everyone can use this file (Whole the model or parts of the model, like the motors, the wheels, the board, the chassis) to make their own robot.
I think that this on line data base could help all the creators to share their robots with the other users.
What do you think about this suggestion?

Comments

• icepuckicepuck Posts: 466
    edited 2010-10-28 18:09
    That would be neat if that could be use in a MS robotics studio simulation.
    http://www.microsoft.com/robotics/
    -dan
  • ZootZoot Posts: 2,227
    edited 2010-10-28 18:17
    Nice model.
  • Bob Lawrence (VE1RLL)Bob Lawrence (VE1RLL) Posts: 1,720
    edited 2010-10-31 16:52
    That's a great design. I was trying to make a rectangle box with a few switches and a few led's but couldn't get past go. Everything I tried turned into a mess.
  • NikosGNikosG Posts: 705
    edited 2010-11-01 09:54
    That's a great design. I was trying to make a rectangle box with a few switches and a few led's but couldn't get past go. Everything I tried turned into a mess.

Hi Bob,
    Actually it is not un easy job especially the first time. You must be very patient but I think that it is worth to keep trying with Sketchup.
    I sent you a Switch , a mini led, a resistance and a (cable clamp? I dont know the term) that I had designed for my projects.
    I hope you'll find them usefully for your project.
    edited 2010-11-01 10:04
    icepuck wrote: »
    That would be neat if that could be use in a MS robotics studio simulation.
    http://www.microsoft.com/robotics/
    -dan

Hi "icepuck",
    I've just downloaded the Microsoft robotic studio and I found a very usefull article with the tilte "Using Microsoft Robotics Studio to Program Parallax's Boe-Bot" on the above link. I'll try to become familiar with this software!
    edited 2010-11-01 10:14
    Zoot wrote: »
    Nice model.

Thanks "zoot"
    Here is a file with some others Parallax Products Such as: the serial LCD, the PSC, the ColorPAL sensor, a mini servo.
    You can use them with the previous file (with the BoeBot) to demonstrate your own robotic cereation.
  • HumanoidoHumanoido Posts: 5,770
    edited 2010-11-01 10:35
    NikosG wrote: »
    Hello everybody,
    First of all I would like to ask your understanding for my English language mistakes.
    I would like to suggest the creation of an online database of 3d models of parallax products (robots, accessories, sensors, etc) made by the Google ShetchUP software.
    You can easily download this free software from this page: http://sketchup.google.com/download/
    I also send you a file with the Boe-bot in Sketchup format.
    So everyone can use this file (Whole the model or parts of the model, like the motors, the wheels, the board, the chassis) to make their own robot.
    I think that this on line data base could help all the creators to share their robots with the other users.
    What do you think about this suggestion?
    This is really great work and a fine idea to share files online. I also tried Sketchup and could not get near the quality you have produced!
    edited 2010-11-02 07:16
    Humanoido wrote: »
    This is really great work and a fine idea to share files online. I also tried Sketchup and could not get near the quality you have produced!

Thank you "Humanoido",
    If you like my work have a look at this:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NGYT40#p/u/2/P7peMI2R8so
    This is a real video of my Boe Bot using a prototype robotic arm made by me.
    And now look at the model with Sketchup that I'm sending you.
    I think that the 3d Model is very helpful for any one who have in mind to create something similar.
    I also think that a completed base of 3d models of Parallax products could help consumers to choose the list of hardware they need to create their robots!
    Some products already accompanied with a 3d model (like the "Motor Mount and Wheel Kit with Position Controller" 27971 - 3D IGES Model) but you can't use this model to constuct your own Robot.
  • HumanoidoHumanoido Posts: 5,770
    edited 2010-11-02 10:03
    Thank you "Humanoido",
    If you like my work have a look at this:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NGYT40#p/u/2/P7peMI2R8so
    This is a real video of my Boe Bot using a prototype robotic arm made by me. And now look at the model with Sketchup that I'm sending you.
    I think that the 3d Model is very helpful for any one who have in mind to create something similar. I also think that a completed base of 3d models of Parallax products could help consumers to choose the list of hardware they need to create their robots! Some products already accompanied with a 3d model (like the "Motor Mount and Wheel Kit with Position Controller" 27971 - 3D IGES Model) but you can't use this model to constuct your own Robot.
    NikosG, your youtube movie is fantastic and the development of your BOE-BOT's robot arm is really excellent, an A++ project! You could certainly write this up as a completed project in the Projects Forum and get full credit. You have really great projects posted there. This one is very impressive! I could also imagine a light weight tray in the front or back of Boe-Bot to storage the balls. I look forward to seeing more of your work in the future. The 3D Sketchup model is superb - I can also see many useful applications for it.
  • P!-RoP!-Ro Posts: 1,189
    edited 2010-11-02 17:01
    Very nice work, very artistic. I've found myself needing to use Sketchup a lot lately myself, but in a very different way. Instead of creating things to show as an illustration to other people I've actually figured out how to use Sketchup to create objects I can print on a 3D printer. The figure shown below are parts that will be printed to start constructing a mini 3D printer. I've had to modify them to get them to print faster and give the mini printer better capabilities.
    1024 x 768 - 52K
    pic.JPG 51.8K
    edited 2010-11-03 22:19
    Printed parts...
    1600 x 1200 - 275K
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    edited 2010-11-05 07:56
    Cool "printed" parts!
    edited 2010-11-05 14:41
    Thanks! If you're interested I'm sure I could print you some parts for dirt cheap if you'd like. Hopefully by October I can own a mini myself.
    edited 2010-11-08 10:21
    P!-Ro wrote: »
    Printed parts...

This is amazing "P!-Ro"

Is the plasic material stong enought to build the parts of a robot arm?
    Can you try to print the parts of my robotic arm?(from the scetchUP file that I've sent above)

What version of ScetchUP have you used?
    Is the free version ScetchUP 7 able to communicate with a 3d Prinder?
    Do you use any extra libraly on your software to achieve that?
    A video tutorial would be very helpful!
    edited 2010-11-08 11:09
    Humanoido wrote: »
    NikosG, your youtube movie is fantastic and the development of your BOE-BOT's robot arm is really excellent, an A++ project! You could certainly write this up as a completed project in the Projects Forum and get full credit. You have really great projects posted there. This one is very impressive! I could also imagine a light weight tray in the front or back of Boe-Bot to storage the balls. I look forward to seeing more of your work in the future. The 3D Sketchup model is superb - I can also see many useful applications for it.

Thank you "Humanoido"
    You have done excelent projects too!!! (the Basic stamp supercomputer is very cool!!!)
    I appreciate your opinion and any suggestion and idea is welcome! (From your project I gues that your programming skills are very high!)
    I continued the project with boe bot with an other gripper and I've extended the parallax activity "Go to the closest object" (I 'll upload a youtube video soon) But finaly I stoped the experiments with boe-bot because I realized that I was need more power and more batteries and It was diffucult to cram my boe bot with all this stuff. So I decided to build a bigger robot using Parallax electronics the "nikos 4wd rover" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJoCrWpT5Lk.
    Your idea of the "weight try" sounds very nice.
    But first I have to Build a bigger robotic arm from that I've used on the BoeBot
    Best regards, Nikos
    edited 2010-11-08 14:21
    This is amazing "P!-Ro"

Is the plasic material stong enought to build the parts of a robot arm?
    Can you try to print the parts of my robotic arm?(from the scetchUP file that I've sent above)

What version of ScetchUP have you used?
    Is the free version ScetchUP 7 able to communicate with a 3d Prinder?
    Do you use any extra libraly on your software to achieve that?
    A video tutorial would be very helpful!

It is very strong, the parts are built with a hard shell on the outside and a spiderweb on the inside for the best strength to volume. I'll be getting a mini of my own hopefully by the end of the month, but from there I have to repay that last little bit of my debt by doing a weeks worth of kit printing for the guy who is giving it to me. The part I like best--no money is transacted, something that is very good for a high school student like me (the money would get blown otherwise).

Anyway, I'm in the prospecting stages of building a website of my own centered on inventors like yourself, selling kits with 3d parts and without (for those with a printer, which I should be able to sell for 600 or less). I'm even prospecting an environment like GG which will allow others to make kits themselves which they can sell on the site for dibs on profits.

Sorry for this spin-off of your thread. I don't know when I can try to make your arm, it may not be for a couple weeks. But if you want me to try than I advise you flatten the parts and allow them to be printed individually, and redesign it keeping in mind that the thin plastic will flex and perhaps I'll get a chance to print it for you on the cheap sometime this month (I'll consider it the start to my prospective business...)

-Derrick
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2010-11-08 22:35
    Hey Nikos,

I've been quietly reading this thread but have not taken the time to reply yet. We're working on a very important project right now - a Propeller BOE. This board has many similarities to the BOE, but also a number of differences. For example it includes XBee socket, 4-ch A/D, microphone input, audio amplifier output, composite TV, SD card, LEDs, socket for Parallax WiFi module, and so on. This particular board will be manufactured in Rocklin at our facility and come with a lifetime guarantee, but that's beside the point.

The reason I bring it up in this thread is because I think that you may be interested in producing a SketchUP model for us. We could use the model for a number of purposes, one of them being advance information for our distributors and customers.

If I provide more detailed drawings could would you be interested in creating a SketchUP model for us? I'd be glad to trade hardware or whatever else you may want from Parallax.

Sincerely,

Ken Gracey

P.S. I realize you can't see much detail from this photo but I would provide you with much better early design models to work from. In this photo is Andy Lindsay, our key author and incredible contributor to Parallax for the last dozen years.

attachment.php?attachmentid=75104&d=1289284507
    600 x 448 - 63K
  • Roy ElthamRoy Eltham Posts: 3,000
    edited 2010-11-09 03:05
    Ken,
    The Propeller BOE sounds awesome!
    edited 2010-11-09 07:58
    Hey Nikos,

I've been quietly reading this thread but have not taken the time to reply yet. We're working on a very important project right now - a Propeller BOE. This board has many similarities to the BOE, but also a number of differences. For example it includes XBee socket, 4-ch A/D, microphone input, audio amplifier output, composite TV, SD card, LEDs, socket for Parallax WiFi module, and so on. This particular board will be manufactured in Rocklin at our facility and come with a lifetime guarantee, but that's beside the point.

The reason I bring it up in this thread is because I think that you may be interested in producing a SketchUP model for us. We could use the model for a number of purposes, one of them being advance information for our distributors and customers.

If I provide more detailed drawings could would you be interested in creating a SketchUP model for us? I'd be glad to trade hardware or whatever else you may want from Parallax.

Sincerely,

Ken Gracey

P.S. I realize you can't see much detail from this photo but I would provide you with much better early design models to work from. In this photo is Andy Lindsay, our key author and incredible contributor to Parallax for the last dozen years.

attachment.php?attachmentid=75104&d=1289284507

Hello Ken,

Your reply is a great honor for me!!!
    The “Propeller BOE” sounds great! All these capabilities that offers are amazing! I’m sure that it will become a big success!
    Robotic users and programmers have more and more demands. I believe that this “Propeller Boe” will be the “next step” for many customers including myself! I would be very glad if I could contribute. I strongly believe that Parallax (you, Chip, Andy and all your partners) writes history in robotics and computer science! I would be very proud if I could involved in this effort!!! I don’t see the time to start working for this aim! It would be very convenient for me to create the model if I had the Hardware. Otherwise some detailed images including all the dimensions are necessary (and if is possible a close video) (but I can’t guarantee the same quality as the first method. I would like also to tell you(in case you send me olny the images) that I already have the propeller demo board so I can draw from this board the components that are included in the new Board.
    I’m looking forward to start this project!
    Best regards
    Nikos Giannakopoulos
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2010-11-09 08:06
    Dear Nikos,

Well, thank you very much. We're regular people around here, I assure you.

I am also familiar with your robotic arm sent to Lauren. It's an other example of a solid technical achievement!

Please contact me via e-mail kgracey@parallax.com and I'll reply by sending you some pictures of the current board so you can get started. Most of the components you will recognize from other places. Those which you don't have I can send you, of course. Your model would provide us with some important advance marketing which we can use to showcase our PropBOE.

We are most certainly thankful of your support, enthusiasm, and willingness to contribute.

Sincerely,

Ken Gracey
  • max72max72 Posts: 1,155
    edited 2010-11-09 13:58
    Seeing this post I would like to point you to Alibre Design.
    I'm simply a happy Alibre user, so take my post as a personal opinion.
    Alibre is a parametric modeler, offering many license levels.
    There used to be a free one (xpress), and as far as I know the demo version reverts to this feature limited version. Moving up you can have a lot of interesting options, that Parallax could exploit. Besides the 3D modeling you can have CNC and sheet metal. It could be possible to interface the Parallax machines...
    Moreover you should be able to import Sketchup models while loosing part history or assembly constraints, so the 2 programs could cooperate. I didn't test this part, I found so complex sketchup that I gave up.
    Moreover some versions of Alibre offer the possibility of exporting a model as a pdf 3D. This is a feature I like really much, because a customer can open my model with a regular adobe reader, switching on and off parts, rotating objects and so on.

I'm not applying for a job (well, maybe just a little bit, it's so wet here), but seeing the great work Nikos did with sketchup I think the added features of a modeler like Alibre could offer some interesting points, also considering the two can cooperate.
    If you are interested I can try to convert a couple of models just to see how it works.

Massimo
    edited 2010-11-10 01:45
    I tried to import the models, but Alibre has not direct sketchup import. I tried with a rhino and a neutral format, but it is not a working solution.

Massimo
    edited 2010-11-10 06:45
    max72 wrote: »
    Seeing this post I would like to point you to Alibre Design.
    I'm simply a happy Alibre user, so take my post as a personal opinion.
    Alibre is a parametric modeler, offering many license levels.
    There used to be a free one (xpress), and as far as I know the demo version reverts to this feature limited version. Moving up you can have a lot of interesting options, that Parallax could exploit. Besides the 3D modeling you can have CNC and sheet metal. It could be possible to interface the Parallax machines...
    Moreover you should be able to import Sketchup models while loosing part history or assembly constraints, so the 2 programs could cooperate. I didn't test this part, I found so complex sketchup that I gave up.
    Moreover some versions of Alibre offer the possibility of exporting a model as a pdf 3D. This is a feature I like really much, because a customer can open my model with a regular adobe reader, switching on and off parts, rotating objects and so on.

I'm not applying for a job (well, maybe just a little bit, it's so wet here), but seeing the great work Nikos did with sketchup I think the added features of a modeler like Alibre could offer some interesting points, also considering the two can cooperate.
    If you are interested I can try to convert a couple of models just to see how it works.

Massimo

Hi Massimo,
    I've just seen the Alibre software tutorial. You are absolutely right! This software seems amazing! Especially the ability to create pdf 3D. This pdf is fantastic! It revokes in my mind the magic newspapers in Harry Potter film! I think that all the manuals should be made with this way! It is a completely new approach for a manual! I think that Ken should take into account this software in view of the new "propeller BOE" promotion!
    If I had the appropriate version of this software I could try create the models with this.
    edited 2010-11-10 08:07
    Hi Nikos,
    I checked the availability of the free version, but it no longer exists.
    At the moment you can donwload a free trial, and buy a base licence for 99$.
    It should offer a basic pdf 3D export, and all the modeling tools (the dormer free version was limited in the features and part number iun an assembly).
    The model files are the same between the versions, so we could exchange the models and I could exploit the additional features avilable in the expert version.

But the modeler is not only pdf3D...

I think the strongest point of the parametric modelers is the possibility to access part history, drive dimensions with formulas, or from an excel spreadsheet.
    You can also create technical drawings, and they would change automatically accordingly with model revisions.

It gives you an insane amount of power and speeds up things a lot. Considering your skills with Sketchup you'll have a lot of fun with Alibre. The learning curve in your case would be smooth, the Alibre forums is really good, and I could help you.
    The disavantage is the price tag, of course...

Massimo
    edited 2010-11-19 11:04
    Hi folks,

I'm sending you two new 3d scetchup models.
    I hope you'll find them useful.
    You can also improve them or repair any mistakes!
    edited 2010-11-19 15:07
    Please find attached a sample pdf.
    The model has nothing to do with real components, I made 4 simple parts just to show how pdf3D works.
    Clicking on the image you have full 3D control.
    If you open the tree you can switch on and off the simgle parts, or the subassy.
    In the other pages you'll find a section view, an exploded view and an exploded view with steps (select play, and move the slider). I messed up the steps, but I think you'll get the idea.
    Unfortunately you loose the color by feature option, but the model is still enjoyable (you can assign different colors for the whole parts).

Massimo
    edited 2010-11-20 03:08
    Hi Massimo,
    My Acrobat reader didn't work properly with your file. (I have the version 8)
    Which version is the most appropriate?
    edited 2010-11-20 07:11
    The manual says "Adobe Reader 7.0.8 and above", so it should work..
    I attached another exploded assy view, with animation, and a little bit more colors.
    Clicking on the image you cannot access the 3D tools?
    I have XP and win7, reader 9, and it works with both.

I haven't installed the adobe reader on my linux, so I cannot tell how it works under linux.

Massimo
  • icepuckicepuck Posts: 466
    edited 2010-11-20 18:23
    just installed adobe on ubuntu and happy to say it worked, the built-in pdf reader didn't like it so well.
    -dan
  • Bob Lawrence (VE1RLL)Bob Lawrence (VE1RLL) Posts: 1,720
    edited 2010-11-20 20:51
    @NikosG

Shortly after I posted my rant about having problems in SketchUp I did a little research on YouTube and found a few basic instructional videos that provided enough info to get my box designed and I put in holes where the LED were suppose to go. LOL

I just seen the parts you sent me and will try them out next weekend. I really appreciate the help. Your are correct in that a little patience will go a long way with this program.

Bob