Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Propeller C3 update - Page 7 — Parallax Forums

Propeller C3 update

Comments

• Shawn LoweShawn Lowe Posts: 635
    edited 2010-12-17 06:37
    Ken Gracey wrote: »
    Hey guys,

- would you guys pay a little more if you had to?

Speaking for myself, yes I would pay a little more. It's very professional looking!
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2010-12-17 07:30
    That C3 in a case looks positively awesome!

I can finally use my Propeller on the road without getting strange looks from people!

{I'm not kidding!}

I was in the hospital waiting room last month when Rebekah had her surgery.
    I had my netbook and a small Parallax box which contained Bean's USB Propeller board, and one of uController's SD adapter's plugged into it. I had a couple hours to kill, and looking across the room I saw another person passing the time kitting, so I plugged in my netbook and dropped in my Propeller to work on my SD article for Gadgetgangster.

The woman across from me saw my little board with wires plugged into the computer and actually had a concerned look on her face. I pretended not to notice when she remarked, "Oh My!" like I had some sort of bomb or something. Fortunately, she opted not to escalate the situation...

Long story, short.. Thanks Parallax/Andre for designing something which has that "friendly" plastic box so that the world doesn't think I'm some sort or terrorist when I'm Prop'ing in public. :)

OBC
  • tdlivingstdlivings Posts: 437
    edited 2010-12-17 07:58
    Ken
    Looks great.
    I plan on getting one.
    Kit price increased is ok with me.

Tom
  • David BetzDavid Betz Posts: 14,511
    edited 2010-12-17 08:57
    This looks great, especially the smoke black case! I may have to buy one of the production C3s with the case even though I already have one of the prototypes. I really get nervous with too many bare boards lying around. The case looks like it will do a good job of protecting the C3. I'm assuming that the C3 mounts in the case using the ears that stick out of the sides of the PCB, right? That means that my prototype won't mount in one of the acrylic cases since it is missing those ears. Put me on the list of people wanting a full kit!
  • Matt GillilandMatt Gilliland Posts: 1,406
    edited 2010-12-17 12:18
    Yes the case is held together by using the tabs on the C3's pcb...

And, although the prototype case (made with trans-blue) looks good too, the blue effectively renders all the internal led's invisible to the outside world.

...it must be one of those matter/anti-matter things?...

-Matt
  • RobotWorkshopRobotWorkshop Posts: 2,307
    edited 2010-12-17 12:41
    The whole C3 in the case looks fantastic! This is going to be a popular board.

Robert
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
    edited 2010-12-17 15:41
    The WebDev team has put the C3 web page up for viewing at http://www.parallax.com/Store/Microcontrollers/PropellerTools/tabid/143/ProductID/721/List/0/Default.aspx?SortField=ProductName,ProductName and you can download the "Unleashing the C3" eBook and the product documentation. They'd like to start selling these boards today, but I'm asking them to hold off until we have the C3 Full Kit in stock (includes enclosure, prototype board, mounting hardware, etc.). I hate to delay product releases more than anybody (trust me) but we need to offer it both ways from the initial release so that customers don't have to come back and purchase the bill of materials of the C3 Full Kit minus the bill of materials for the C3 board itself. We don't always stock the sub-assemblies of the Full Kit - we build them and package them up as Full Kits. Probably more than you wanted to know and you're likely as confused as I am.

But, we've got a good team working on the project and we should have the C3 Full Kit ready before Christmas if all goes according to plan. Worse case is that they're ready as soon as the new year begins.

- Ken
  • ElectricAyeElectricAye Posts: 4,561
    edited 2010-12-17 17:02
    I love the way it looks. And of its capabilities? - looks too good to be true!
    edited 2010-12-17 17:38
    We don't always stock the sub-assemblies of the Full Kit - we build them and package them up as Full Kits.
    Will it be possible to buy extra prototyping boards separate from the C3 full kits?
  • JT CookJT Cook Posts: 487
    edited 2010-12-17 20:22
    I am jealous that my prototype doesn't have the little tabs on the side for the case! I can envision it with the NES card mounted on top with holes drilled in for the connectors turning it into a little game system.
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2010-12-18 01:08
    Product delays are okay. A bit higher price is acceptable as well. (I felt that $49.xx was a bit low for all the features and requisite hardward.) I think we all know that it is an issue of excellence that delays things. The dread is that you will one day entice us with something wonderful and then completely cancel. But the reality is that Parallax never has done so - even when the Penguins took so long to get exactly right, you stuck with it.

In other words, keep of the good work. I really would rather than everyone at Parallax has a nice Christmas vacation than worry about customers creating an imagined deadline that needs to be met.

And, it seems the smoke black will allow indicator LEDs to shine through - yes? Personally my favorites for electronics are black and brass. It is a bit odd that blue sucks the light out of LEDs, but it is at the far end of the spectrum.
  • zappmanzappman Posts: 418
    edited 2010-12-18 07:37
    The C3 looks great in the case, I want one!

Does the C3 board, fit into the C3 case, when the NES game pad adapter is installed onto the C3 board?

If a P2 adapter is used (plugged into the C3), so that the keyboard and mouse can be plugged in at the same time, will the C3 board fit into the C3 case?

Would be great if there was a standard clock adapter that could be plugged into the C3.
  • ElectronegativityElectronegativity Posts: 311
    edited 2010-12-18 09:29
    AndreL wrote: »
    @those trying to understand cost -- Also, we haven't even begun to talk about distribution. Distributors want a 30-50% margin, so that means in many cases we sell a product for NOTHING to the distributor and THEY make all the money. At the end of the day many times 90% of products sales are thru distro's and 10% from website sales, so they make a 40% margin and we make a 5% margin on 90% of sales volume.

This is an important thing for Parallax's customers to know.
    From now on I will buy direct from parallax as much as possible instead of tacking a few props onto my order from Mouser or Digikey.
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2010-12-19 08:35
    Yes indeed, the higher the margin for the retailer - the more they are willing to try selling it. 50% margin to them is 'double your money'. If the item is hot, they are quite happy. Bookstores operate on a 20% margin and hardware stores operate on 20-40%, whilst supermarkets operate often on less than 3%.

But a lot of products never make it to market - not because of margin - but because the retail price is just not in line with other choices. In this case, $79 sans case or $99 with case is nicely competitive. With the internet, many find buying direct from Parallax as cheap or cheaper than local retail. That is the nature of the modern on-line retail. I just have to hit a critical mass before I order from the US or as this case is, the C3 just does everything better than I could do on my own. In sum, it is a great value.
  • StefanL38StefanL38 Posts: 2,292
    edited 2010-12-19 10:47
    within one sentence:
    having a really small propellerboard already equieped with VGA, TV, keyboard, mouse, SD-card 1MB of RAM and two ADC-channels

edit: hm ok as the previous post that I wanted to answer on vanished misterously
    where is the delete-function for postings. Can't seem to find it. Can smebody take the tomatos from my eyes
    make a screenshot where the delet is to find?

best regards

Stefan
  • schillschill Posts: 741
    edited 2010-12-19 18:00
    But, we've got a good team working on the project and we should have the C3 Full Kit ready before Christmas if all goes according to plan. Worse case is that they're ready as soon as the new year begins.

Expect an order for 2 full kits (I think) as soon as they're available. :)
    edited 2010-12-20 14:37
    Hi Everybody -
    Sorry for the delay...(it's lunch time here - hence the burger/fries combo meal), but here's what the first production run of C3 cases looks like.

The Case comes with two complete sets of sides for both single and double stack configurations. (In-n-Out Burger and fries not included). Actually they would have been, but I already ate them by the time you see this post.

P1020287.jpg

P1020295.jpg

Transparent Black is cool?
    -Matt
    1024 x 768 - 78K
    1024 x 768 - 52K
  • schillschill Posts: 741
    edited 2010-12-20 14:47
    Transparent black is definitely cool. But, they need black screws. I have some waiting. :)
    edited 2010-12-20 14:48
    Very nice!
  • TubularTubular Posts: 4,621
    edited 2010-12-20 15:17
    Matt that top pic has me salivating, but its not the burger 'n fries.

Completely agree with Schill, get some black screws, it will make a huge difference.

It would also be worth getting some professional "apple style" photos taken & photoshopped. Nothing wrong with your pics, just think the product is gorgeous enough for that professional makeover.

Got any pics of the back face, uSD card slot etc?
  • hover1hover1 Posts: 1,929
    edited 2010-12-20 18:09
    Sharpies turn those shiny screw to black in seconds! :) (I do like black hardware also).

I would like to see countersink holes, may be hard with the laser, but 30 seconds on the drill press at my place would be no problem either.

Countersunk holes could fit Panhead, Flathead, Ovalhead, and Low Cap Screws with a close to flush mount finish if not full flush mount finish with some srews.

Jim

Jim

schill wrote: »
    Transparent black is definitely cool. But, they need black screws. I have some waiting. :)
    edited 2010-12-20 20:12
    Yes on the black screws - of course! Great minds think alike and it was obvious to us the minute it went together...the screws are already on order.

More "snap-shots" to follow...(you'll have to wait for *real* photos :-)
    -Matt
    edited 2010-12-21 09:01
    As promised - more snap-shots. (The screws shipped with the Enclosure will be phillips pan head black - not allen head as shown below)

Black screws complete the ensemble...
    100_4248.jpg

100_4247.jpg

100_4246.jpg

100_4245.jpg

Yes, if you have a fingernail, you can insert and eject an SD card. Otherwise a small flat blade screwdriver (like the double-ended parallax one) works just fine.

Also, the Power Switch hole is "tall" on the top, which allows very same screwdriver to "reach over" and press the Reset Button.

Excuse the dust on the C3 Enclosure - I need to clean.
    -Matt
    1024 x 768 - 67K
    1024 x 768 - 73K
    1024 x 768 - 65K
    1024 x 768 - 79K
    edited 2010-12-21 09:15
    How much does the C3 prototyping board cost by itself?
  • ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2010-12-21 09:49
    What's the latest info on the stock situation. Yesterday evening I noticed there were (47) C3 boards in stock, but no full kits at the store. Today the C3 boards are out of stock. Did you sell the (47) boards?
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2010-12-21 10:04
    @Matt,

How about a shot of it in the case next to a credit card? (Just don't forget to blot out the numbers. :) )

OBC
  • jazzedjazzed Posts: 11,803
    edited 2010-12-21 10:16
    How about a shot of it in the case next to a credit card? (Just don't forget to blot out the numbers. :) )
    A gift card would be appropriate. Too bad Parallax doesn't sell them.
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    edited 2010-12-21 17:16
    Nice job. I think boxed kits are a great idea.
  • edited 2010-12-21 19:12
    What is the skill level on the C3 for those who want to program it?
  • RavenkallenRavenkallen Posts: 1,057
    edited 2010-12-21 19:31
    @Chuckz... It isn't to hard. Check out the Unleashing the C3 e-book...
    http://www.parallax.com/Portals/0/Downloads/docs/prod/prop/UnleashingPropellerC3v1.0.pdf