Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Fill the Big Brain - Page 33 — Parallax Forums

Fill the Big Brain

Comments

• HumanoidoHumanoido Posts: 5,770
    edited 2011-06-13 21:55
    More on ParaP Parallel-Parallel
    I just presumed it had to do with parallel processing utilizing parallel universes. Just think of the speed!
    It's a good comparison! If you call each parallel processing system a universe, and there's more than one system, you could indeed have these little parallel universes.

I presume you would have each universe do parallel processing represented by many star systems in orbit around a galactic black hole, with planetary systems in orbit around the stars, and then do a time evolution either forward or backwards in time.

You can decide if there's an increased speed running two massive parallel processes on let's say either one set or two sets of multi-arrayed props at the same time.

It's in the idea stage but if we get it to work, it could be fantastic - we don't know unless we try, right?

If we get ParaP to work, the next step is a 3ParaP. My brain is in a mobius loop thinking about that one.

But if you think about it, each cog can instantiate one half of a ParaP. As we mentioned, eight cogs could result in multiples. The system could have an array of these ParaP generator props using their dedicated cogs, for large numbers of CPUs. I'm very excited about this idea.

The more easy part is to design up and build the interface, supply the props, test the circuit and test the software. The harder part is writing all new software, but I think I can do it and I'm reasonably certain it can work. We could try one ParaP at first.

Let's say we have the orbits represented by the periodic oscillation of an LED. Then I could set up another 50 representative LEDs per Partition on pin 14 but I've run out of solderless breadboard holes. I can route LEDs from the prop pin to Vss but where to put the resistor inline?

I'm trying out some recycled metal clips that may be strong enough to clip-join the resistor to the led, but welcome any other ideas. Of course soldering the leads may be the best option but very time consuming. What's the sense of that with a solderless breadboard! I could also return to the parts store and see if they have the LEDs with the resistors built in. Are these costly? Any opinions?
  • Dr. MarioDr. Mario Posts: 331
    edited 2011-06-13 21:59
    Well, thanks - Humanoido. ^____^;

How do I know about some of your technology? Actually I do analyze the chip by its specifications, even looking at the processor die to make nearly accurate guessing. And, At Once technology is also already used in most streaming processors, DSP, AMD Radeon HD series, NVIDIA GeForce GTX xxx (and even down to GeForce 8xxx) so it is also already a well-known terminology with lot of benefits.

And, beware of Von Neumann bottlenecks. You can start out large, but inevitably you will need to have the cache RAM to hold those pesky memory wall issues. And, you put in lot of features, right? You will want to put in about 500GB hard drive to allow for some learning and some softwares in place, that way it's handled with ease. We have 3TB hard drive too, with their prices dropping rapidly as 4 / 5 TB hard drives are being mass-produced as we speak. That would be nice to have one in the AI hardware, because it's easy to run out of space, especially with the AI soft neural matrix growing.

And, you don't have to use AMD APP - just you have to compile the kernel and pop it into the GPU, and they would either respond immediately, or be like an obedient genie, waiting for your instructions - that way some works could be cut out - The PowerPC processor just have to issue that software code once then it's your to mess with the streaming DSP cores - pretty much like with Playstation 3 (for example).

Also, the GDDR3 is good for as high-speed pool caching - you have to just use it like you do with SSD (solid state drives) - download once, leech more. The FPGA will need it so that way you won't run into any bottleneck.

Well, the way you see it, there will be no easy task for me to construct my own supercomputer as it has to be built and attuned for performance (I do not want any IO lags) so it could do PASM in shorter times..
    edited 2011-06-13 22:38
    And, if there is Radioshack in your area (I don't think so but don't despair) you can try asking for 5V LED with the on-die resistor.

If no Radioshack in your area - you can try few store on the internet - few examples of 5V LEDs: http://www.mouser.com/Optoelectronics/LED-Indication/Standard-LED-Through-Hole/_/N-75pv5?P=1z0x8c7&Keyword=LED&FS=True and http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll

However, I always cheat by wrapping the resistor on the paper clip (temporarily) to confirm. But, if the current's over 3A, it's best to solder.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2011-06-13 22:43
    Dr. Mario wrote:
    And, At Once technology [emphasis mine] is also already used in most streaming processors, DSP, AMD Radeon HD series, NVIDIA GeForce GTX xxx (and even down to GeForce 8xxx) so it is also already a well-known terminology with lot of benefits.
    It must be called something else, though, because a Google search on "at once technology" came up with nothing meaningful that related to DSP, Nvidia, or streaming processors.

-Phil
    edited 2011-06-14 00:36
    That's a bit different, but the way they're supposed to work is similar, due to simplicity of making a duplicate rather than just distributing something step-by-step. However, no At Once term exists, though because it's pretty obvious.

However, it's optional in the video processor. It still help with heavy code cracking, like encryption snooper that uses AMD ACML: http://www.passwordrecoverytools.com/ - they have some specific password recovery software that has to do with the usage of streaming processors, cracking the encryption in shorter time.

Still, sometimes what doesn't show up in Google would turn up in datasheet or even programming manual so it really help to look into it before objecting. I always check the datasheet before I chalk that up.

And if anyone complain, I would have good reason to stop.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
    edited 2011-06-14 01:29
    I just presumed it had to do with parallel processing utilizing parallel universes. Just think of the speed!

That might be feasible with quantum computing:

http://www.doc.ic.ac.uk/~nd/surprise_97/journal/vol4/spb3/

It appears as if caffeine might have other uses besides making lots of money for suppliers of expensive hot water and curing baldness.
    edited 2011-06-14 02:35
    Parallel-Parallel Universe and the Quantum World
    Leon wrote: »
    That might be feasible with quantum computing:
    http://www.doc.ic.ac.uk/~nd/surprise_97/journal/vol4/spb3/

What is really fascinating and maybe difficult to wrap your brain around is that in using quantum computing, the calculation may take place in this universe but the result appears in another universe.

So what originally appeared as a tongue in cheek post with parallel parallel universes is likely a reality. This is one of the most interesting links I've read! Computing at that level is going to exceed our common sense on many levels.

In the quantum world it can lead to a time traveling computer:

http://arstechnica.com/science/news/2009/11/time-travel-doesnt-imbue-quantum-computers-with-superpowers.ars

and others are using computers, internet and algorithms to do time travel experiments:

http://timetravelcomputerproject.fortunecity.com/index.html

and some simply make good reading:

http://www.tiac.net/~cri_b/fakesci/timetravel.html
    edited 2011-06-14 18:59
    Brain Mapping with 3D Extrusion
    Transcending from Traditional Schematics

The reason Big Brain schematics are few and far between, or don't exist at all, is because there are none.

Introduction
    For some time work has continued on taking the "schematic" concept to a different, more representative level. This project has repeatedly looked at new ways of creating a kind of substitute for conventional schematics in a way that information could be viewed, classified, drawn, and represented in more significant ways.

attachment.php?attachmentid=82169&d=1308101540
    Sample sketches have shown that Brain Mapping in 2D on
    flat paper with a pencil is relatively lacking in true
    representions. Now a new technique of computerized
    3D Brain Mapping Extrusion looks promising.

Techniques Reviewed
    Some things reviewed were Carnaugh Maps, DNA reconstructive concepts, planar schematics, and program folding and unfolding.

Research
    The research on this has remained ongoing and is now at a crossroads. The idea of a three dimensional 3D Brain Map (or new type of schematic) is about to unfold.

Brain Map Composition
    The Brain Map is currently comprised of the following elements:
    • Spheres
    • Circles
    • Dots
    • Lines
    • Rings
    • Colors
    • Textures

Development
    More development will take place in the near future and will likely include other geometrical shapes such as ellipses, toroids and oblate spheroids.

Conceptual Brain Mapping
    Big Brain is represented with 3D drawings. The Big Brain "schematic" is a dimensional map living within 3D with geometric spheres, rings, lines, dots and circles.

Extrusion
    A map object that can be extruded in real time is planned for ultimate Brain understanding. Then snapshot slices, or choice levels of extrusion, using Calculus imagery, can show brain levels on 2D prints.

This will allow viewing of high density and complex wiring in more simple ways. It allows "Spotlight" viewing to isolate specific parts of the Brain.

It allows tours in and out of the Brain.

In essence, the technique offers ways to easily and rapidly expand, modify, upgrade, replace, extend and do surgery on the big Brain.

Comparisons of Technology
    This is like an electronic NMR. Brain Mapping takes existing technology and reinvents it in new ways.

Extrusion can act like an Endoscope probing into different sections of a complex Machine Brain.

Continuing Developments
    The next phase of the Big Brain Mapping project is to find numerous 3D CAD and 3D drawing programs for review to locate the best one for sketching Brain Maps.

The Equipment
    This program must work on mid to high end Macintosh using OSX Snow Leopard.
    369 x 278 - 37K
  • Mike GMike G Posts: 2,702
    edited 2011-06-14 19:32
    I'd like to see a simple 2D circuit schematic. The Parallax supported DipTrace has a free download option.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2011-06-14 19:48
    Humanoido wrote:
    The idea of a three dimensional 3D Brain Map (or new type of schematic) is about to unfold.
    Whatever. Just remember, please, that made-up standards seldom communicate any ideas effectively. I'm not sure what your objectives are here. If they're to impress us with smoke and mirrors, that port of call slipped by on the starboard side six- or seven-hundred posts ago. But if your objectives are to share your progress -- given that any real progress has actually been made -- the traditional modes of communication work best. Those would be -- in case the point still escapes you -- conventional schematics and source code.

-Phil
    edited 2011-06-14 23:01
    2D vs 3D Drawing

$695 Diptrace, for the options needed on the Big Brain project, is too costly and the freeware version's 300 pins are not enough. Is there a Parallax link with a better deal?

Besides, we already did the research on a two dimensional design program and are waiting on the computer to run the trial version. I'm pretty sure the install is not as massive as Diptrace, as it does not have board making features, which are not needed for the project.

Probably a simple 2D drawing will get last priority - there's just too many wires now, and even more will be added. When we discovered how easy it is to add interfacing, the need for new successful representations became apparent. Some of the previous trial experiments show this is a good idea. Who knows, maybe it will be adapted in the industry.

It's true one could draw up ten or twenty pages simplistically, each showing a different circuitry scheme, but that's not as simple or convenient as one single drawing that can easily show it all, exactly the way you want. When we have the new technology to make complex things in life easier, we should use it.

Also we want to do the representations as described in the post. That's the reason(s) for going to 3D and extrusion in the first place. I'm sure this will work well and fit simplistic analysis as well for those requirements. It's a good 3D program we need to find. Thanks for your helpful link. Cheers.
    edited 2011-06-14 23:17
    Dr. Mario wrote: »
    And, you don't have to use AMD APP - just you have to compile the kernel and pop it into the GPU, and they would either respond immediately, or be like an obedient genie, waiting for your instructions - that way some works could be cut out - The PowerPC processor just have to issue that software code once then it's your to mess with the streaming DSP cores - pretty much like with Playstation 3 (for example).
    Now that I didn't know which shows I have much more study ahead. I'm looking forward to testing the GPU array and see how easy it can link up with RTOS. Probably a simple FIFO test would be enough. But for this arrangement, Apple has provided code samples, software and many support documents. It should be a piece of cake but we'll see what's available when we get to the bakery. I'm going out this weekend to get my first AMD card and support subscription to link up with Parallax Propeller. I also see Parallax is offering some startup support on professional Propeller development. This is an exciting time! Wish me luck!
    edited 2011-06-14 23:34
    Dr. Mario wrote: »
    Also, the GDDR3 is good for as high-speed pool caching - you have to just use it like you do with SSD (solid state drives) - download once, leech more. The FPGA will need it so that way you won't run into any bottleneck. Well, the way you see it, there will be no easy task for me to construct my own supercomputer as it has to be built and attuned for performance (I do not want any IO lags) so it could do PASM in shorter times..

I think the GDDR is covered - just looking, the install on the AMD Radeon HD 6750M graphics processor as an example it has 512MB of GDDR5 memory. That should work just fine. I'm looking at the AMD CrossFireX™ multi-GPU technology and AMD Catalyst™ Control Center. Many of the original apps requiring millions or billions of pixels are now possible on the large screen. So you don't need to over power consume on massive numbers of LEDs from Propellers, just use the connected pixels. You can even make these red or other colors.
    edited 2011-06-14 23:50
    Mike G wrote: »
    I'd like to see a simple 2D circuit schematic.
    The simple 2D sketch is before your very eyes! Did you see it? Could this really qualify as the "where's Waldo" in the circuit world?
  • TtailspinTtailspin Posts: 1,326
    edited 2011-06-15 08:23
    Have you tried Google Sketch up? free is good... :thumb:

-Tommy
    edited 2011-06-15 08:42
    The simple 2D sketch is before your very eyes! Did you see it? Could this really qualify as the "where's Waldo" in the circuit world?
    Have you posted a schematic and I missed it?
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2011-06-15 08:49
    Mike G wrote: »
    Have you posted a schematic and I missed it?

I think it was in post #969. Or was that the Mayan calendar?
    edited 2011-06-15 15:37
    Google 3D SketchUp Platform Change

attachment.php?attachmentid=78640&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1298521560attachment.php?attachmentid=78595&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1298364996
    Ttailspin wrote: »
    Have you tried Google Sketch up? free is good... :thumb:-Tommy

Page 17 post 326 Feb. 23
    Brain Project Selects Google 3D SketchUp - Apps developed with free open source 3D package
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?124495-Fill-the-Big-Brain&p=979867&viewfull=1#post979867

Page 17 post 325 Feb. 21
    Spectacular Giant Brain Fly-Through!
    Travel through the Brain's Inner space and document the journey with your Google Camera!

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?124495-Fill-the-Big-Brain&p=979268&viewfull=1#post979268

The Google 3D SketchUp program is cross platform and since the discontinuance of the Lenovo IBM T60 computer, there's a temporary hold on this development until a new more powerful computer is brought up.

T60 was not powerful enough to handle many of the features of Google 3D SketchUp in real time and often choked on files during simple loading and rotating. To compensate this, a Big Brain Lite version was created with fewer parts.

It is believed the new Quad Core Mac with a total of 724 core and streaming processors and over 1 TeraFLOP of computing speed will make this a piece of cake.

This project has changed platforms from Windows based PC to Apple Macintosh and is looking at continuing to run Google 3D SketchUp pending performance analysis on the new platform.

Google 3D SketchUp will remain as one of several packages analyzed for 3D Brain mapping extrusion and various other features on the Mac version.
    edited 2011-06-15 16:01
    Duane Degn wrote: »
    I think it was in post #969. Or was that the Mayan calendar?
    As described recently in the Brain Hemisphere post #960 p48, genius is
    embedded on the right side hemisphere of the human brain along
    with imagination, creativity, spacial awareness and dimension. It appears
    that Duane is a master of right side brain hemisphere.
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?124495-Fill-the-Big-Brain&p=1009402&viewfull=1#post1009402

mayan-calendar.gif
    http://www.sritweets.com/mayan-calendar-2012-is-not-end-of-earth/

attachment.php?attachmentid=82169&d=1308101540
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?124495-Fill-the-Big-Brain&p=1009725&viewfull=1#post1009725
    edited 2011-06-15 18:45
    So the schematic is a Mayan calendar. This just gets weirder and weirder.

What going on at BRM?
  • TtailspinTtailspin Posts: 1,326
    edited 2011-06-15 18:51
    Actually, my favorite for 3D drawing is Gmax from discrete,
    I like the layout...
    USB Propeller Proto.jpg

There is a learning curve of course.

-Tommy
    800 x 600 - 87K
    edited 2011-06-15 19:21
    Ttailspin wrote: »
    Actually, my favorite for 3D drawing is Gmax from discrete,
    I like the layout...-Tommy
    It looks good - but it's a windows only product. The Brain needs a Mac program.
    http://www.turbosquid.com/gmax
  • ElectricAyeElectricAye Posts: 4,561
    edited 2011-06-15 19:23
    I couldn't sleep at night knowing there was some kind of big electronic brain nearby. I would be afraid of being sucked into it somehow and end up living forever inside some kind of endless loop. It would be like spending your entire life stuck on a treadmill.
    edited 2011-06-15 19:48
    Big Brain 3D Mac Sketch Draw Model
    The 1st discovery wave for analysis

These are some preliminary sources for 3D modeling programs designed to run on various Mac versions. These are for analysis and review. As of this post, the list is in a grow-able collection state. Feel free to comment on any of these programs, review the software and add to the list. http://www.pure-mac.com/3d.html

Art of Illusion 2.8.1
    Art of Illusion is a free, open source 3D modelling and rendering studio. Many of its capabilities rival those found in commercial programs. Highlights include subdivision surface based modelling tools, skeleton based animation, and a graphical language for designing procedural textures and materials.
    This version is both stable and powerful enough to be used for serious, high end animation work.
    License: Freeware
    Author/Publisher: Peter Eastman
    Modification Date: January 3, 2010
    Requirements: Mac OS X 10.4 or higher
    Download File Size: 6.5 MB http://www.pure-mac.com/downloads/artofillusiondl.html
    Home Page http://www.artofillusion.org/

Blender 2.49b
    Blender is a full functional integrated 3D creation software suite. It lets users create high quality 3D graphics, movies and replay real-time, interactive 3D content. Over the last decade, Blender has evolved as an in-house tool for a leading European animation studio. Blender is powerful technology used for creating broadcast quality 3D content.
    Author/Publisher: Blender Foundation
    Modification Date: September 3, 2009
    Requirements: Mac OS X 10.5 or higher
    Download File Size: 25.6 MB http://www.pure-mac.com/downloads/blenderinteldl.html
    Download File Size: 12.8 MB http://www.pure-mac.com/downloads/blenderppcdl.html
    Home Page http://www.blender.org/

DAZ Studio 3.0.1
    DAZ Studio is a free, feature rich 3D figure design and 3D animation tool that enables anyone to create stunning digital imagery. This is the perfect tool to design unique digital art and animation using virtual people, animals, props, vehicles, accessories, environments and more. Simply select your subject and/or setting, arrange accessories, setup lighting, and begin creating beautiful artwork.
    Author/Publisher: DAZ Productions
    Modification Date: September 24, 2009
    Download File Size: 137 MB http://www.pure-mac.com/downloads/dazstudiodl.html
    Home Page http://www.daz3d.com/i/software/studio/

MacMegaPOV 1.2.1 r3
    POV-Ray is a ray tracer, computer graphics software that can create amazing photo-realistic computer-generated images and animations. It uses an easy scene description language. This text file containing information of objects, lighting, texture, camera, ..., can be written in any ASCII editor, but ...with MacMegaPOV it is easier and faster and it includes some of the most recent patches.
    Author/Publisher: Smellenbergh
    Modification Date: March 14, 2007
    Requirements: Mac OS X 10.3.9 or higher
    Download File Size: 7.4 MB http://www.pure-mac.com/downloads/macmegapovdl.html
    Home Page http://users.skynet.be/smellenbergh/

Pixie 2.2.6
    Pixie is a photorealistic renderer that uses a RenderMan-like interface. Features include programmable shading, motion blur, depth of field, raytracing, scan-line rendering, occlusion culling, global illumination, caustics ...
    Author/Publisher: The Pixie Project
    Modification Date: May 19, 2009
    Requirements: Mac OS X 10.3 or higher
    Download File Size: 4.8 MB http://www.pure-mac.com/downloads/pixiedl.html
    Home Page http://sourceforge.net/projects/pixie/

Wings 3D 1.2
    Wings 3D is a subdivision modeler inspired by Nendo and Mirai from Izware.
    It is possible to assign materials, vertex color, UV coordinates and textures.
    There is no support in Wings for doing animations.
    Author/Publisher: Wings 3D Project
    Modification Date: January 17, 2010
    Download File Size: 9.3 MB http://www.pure-mac.com/downloads/wings3ddl.html
    Home Page http://www.wings3d.com/
    edited 2011-06-15 20:29
    I couldn't sleep at night knowing there was some kind of big electronic brain nearby.

Does it look like this?
    R-150-802517-1295891636.jpeg
    I would be afraid of being sucked into it somehow and end up living forever inside some kind of endless loop.

You'd better not watch the TRON movie!
    It would be like spending your entire life stuck on a treadmill.

Are there other applications for a Mobius Loop inside a Big Brain?

mobius6.gif
    A device called a M
    edited 2011-06-15 23:33
    Arranging Solderless Breadboards

Is there a good recommended way to arrange, contain, stack, mount, or present these large breadboards in a project? Let's say you have 5 or 10 of the largest ones which are already glued on a big piece of metal or plastic..

Right now, they're spread out on a table spanning across several feet! I need to reclaim my table!

Here's an old photo when it was much smaller, so you still get the idea..

attachment.php?attachmentid=80438&d=1303476028
  • LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
    edited 2011-06-16 02:27
    Why don't you use PCBs, like everybody else?
  • ElectricAyeElectricAye Posts: 4,561
    edited 2011-06-16 06:39
    Humanoido wrote: »

Is there a good recommended way to arrange, contain, stack, mount, or present these large breadboards in a project? ...

Brains tend to employ convolutions to increase surface area. Might you try the same concept? How about some sort of giant accordion-like device in which board edges are hinged, with the whole thing hanging from the ceiling complete with counterweights to balance it while you add to it? That way you can fold and unfold sections of it to get access to wires, etc. but still be able to pack it into The Big Acrylic Cranium later on.
    edited 2011-06-16 07:07
    Or just arrange the solderless breadboards like with the tiles. Sure, it would get big, but then it won't grow across.

Like that:

[__][__][__][__][__][__][__][__]

Just a suggestion.
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2011-06-16 08:36
    I have some circuits I use everyday which have been in solderless breadboards for over a year. I hadn't intended the circuits to remain in the breadboard state for so long; I just was busy with other things and hadn't transfered them to a PCB.

I've found that many of my breadboarded circuits have started to have problems. I think the little spring clips inside the breadboard lose their springiness. I would think you'll have connection problems if you leave you're circuits in breadboards for a long time.
This discussion has been closed.