Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Fill the Big Brain - Page 28 — Parallax Forums

Fill the Big Brain

Comments

• doggiedocdoggiedoc Posts: 2,240
    edited 2011-06-01 08:19
    I don't see any arrows. Just a bunch of subsidized housing tipped over on their sides.

:D

j/k
    Paul
  • HumanoidoHumanoido Posts: 5,770
    edited 2011-06-01 10:02
    doggiedoc wrote: »
    I don't see any arrows. Just a bunch of subsidized housing tipped over on their sides. :D j/k Paul

Paul: :) After I looked at the green and yellow objects again, I can can see both sets at the same time. I think a machine brain could recognize both based on color and shape.

Ttailspin: I saw the yellow arrows first too. Yes, lots of packing, even for some big trips before the biggest trip! But the real question is how can one condense a life and work into to a couple luggage on the plane? And what happens when they open the luggage and a big machine brain is staring back?

Duane: Those swirling blue dots and disappearing yellow spots are something else! The illusion that totally impresses me is the broken square matrix and how one can look at the center and have all the crooked lines repair automatically! The Big Brain thinks when the secret location of "Brain Lab" is announced for "Open House," you'll definitely be in the VIP invite list.

"The journey is the reward"
    "A gem is not polished without rubbing, nor a man perfected without trials"
    "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step"
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2011-06-01 11:10
    This illusion stumped me for a whole minute: http://www.rumdesign.com/wrong/
    edited 2011-06-01 14:40
    erco wrote: »
    Erco! I almost flew out of my chair and hit the ceiling! That's a good one for a scary Halloween night but has no place inside the Big Brain during other days of the year. The Big Brain is almost big enough to startle some people... we'll need to put in a humor chip just to break the ice...
    :)
    edited 2011-06-01 23:47
    Propeller Brain Subdomain Test Segmenting
    Creating a subDomain

The Brain technique for testing and developing subBrain domains uses a process of Segmenting. Segmenting is accomplished by determining the number of Propeller chips required for testing and development and finding/counting the highest number of required prop chips on the array boards.

Establishing Subdomains
    PROPELLER BIG BRAIN PARTITION ARRAYS
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX FIRST ARRAY
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX 2ND ARRAY
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX 3RD ARRAY

WITH SUBOMAINS
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXOOOOOOOOOOOOO FIRST ARRAY
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO 2ND ARRAY
    XXXXXOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO 3RD ARRAY

KEY
    X REPRESENTS A PROPELLER CHIP
    O REPRESENTS A DISCONNECTED PROPELLER CHIP
    LINES REPRESENT ARRAY PARTITIONS
    X'S WITH O'S REPRESENT SUBDOMAINS

Then, wires are disconnected from the remaining collective at the position of the highest counted chip. The count may begin with the first Propeller in any Partition Array. Not from, but on the side that leads to the higher count chips, disconnect the following color coded wires to establish a subdomain:
    • Black
    • Red
    • Orange
    • Yellow
    Additionally, at the reference point, disconnect any remaining wires for the following:
    • Neural Matter Injector
    • Multi-Prop Enumerator
    • Communications Interface
    Be sure to consult the wiring for any color coded substitution and make compensations as required.
    The Big Brain can fully function by running any established subdomain in the Partition Array.
    edited 2011-06-02 00:23
    Big Brain Evil, Scary & Sarcastic Sides?

Already under consideration is a Brain emotion chip and a humor chip. However, Erco unknowingly stepped on a loaded spring booby trap with his most recent post, which raised a contemplation regarding should the Big Brain have an evil, scary, and sarcastic side?

Scary only serves a purpose on one day out of 365.25 days of the year. (Halloween) Scare tactics could be used on humans but it would only serve as an entertainment to others. The amount of memory and resources to create Scary may not be worth the effort. Scary could induce a fear in others that are a risk to the well being of the Big Brain. At this point, the Brain has only relatively benign self preservation features, if any at all. It cannot electrically zap a human who is harming the Brain. Plus, should the Big Brain follow the Three Laws of Robotics?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Laws_of_Robotics
    The Three Laws of Robotics, often shortened to The Three Laws or Three Laws, are a set of three rules written by science fiction author Isaac Asimov and later expanded upon. The rules are introduced in his 1942 short story "Runaround" although they were foreshadowed in a few earlier stories. The Laws are:
    • A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
    • A robot must obey any orders given to it by human beings, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
    • A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
    The next topic is an Evil Brain. Evil absolutely has no place in an intelligent machine organism such as the Big Brain. The Big Brain is friendly. Friendly will be built into the Personality Chip.

Sarcasm is the propagation of negativity and also has no place in an intelligent machine Brain.

Sarcasm | Define Sarcasm at Dictionary.com
    /ˈsɑr k
    edited 2011-06-02 05:54
    Big Brain Peripheral Enumeration
    Six pin Enumeration

There are many ways to enumerate a Big Brain as evidenced by the linked threads. Some methods require more cost, parts, work and programming while other methods are located at the other end of complexity. This post reviews the six pin method, one of the most simple considered for either props or peripherals.

SEE SCHEMATIC POST ON NEXT PAGE

Pull up and pull down circuits are easy to create by following the schematic for a push button switch.

The circuit is simplified into two lines, each with a 10K resistor to gain pull ups and pull downs to represent zeros and ones. One line open to 3.3v and one line is closed. The other side goes to the 10K resistor and ground.

Note, this method may or may not be used directly in the Big Brain. It could serve to enumerate Brain subsections and levels of peripherals or subsidiary arrays. Once a Propeller chip has enumeration set in circuitry, additional hardware may be enumerated more easily with this technique.

This post academically considers a simple design. Different methods will be tested and reviewed as needed. In the past, the successful SEED project deployed a method of RC by using specific values of resistors and capacitors living with each CPU.

After much consideration, research, trial designs, previous projects, and reviews of various suggestions, the Big Brain project is now studying a design with perhaps the most simple method that provides self enumeration for each Propeller chip. Six pins can provide 64 unique values which is enough for each Partition of 50 Props. With the six pin technique, Self Enumeration can take place at startup or at any time during program functioning, typically after completion of the Injector functioning.

Some criteria to make this review is based on
    • least amount of cost
    • fewest parts
    • simple design method
    • easy to understand
    • rapid implementation
    [add schematic here]
    The schematic for the enumeration of one Propeller chip uses six pins (out of 32) and one resistor. It takes six wires for completion and can use very short preformed jumpers made specifically for solderless breadboards.

The advantages are many
    1. uses only one resistor per prop chip
    2. enumeration data is permanently stored without memory chips
    3. can enumerate at any time
    4. very reliable readings from high or low pins
    5. fastest response time
    6. fast construction time
    7. requires a very low number of parts
    8. very low cost to implement (about 50 cents in components per partition)
    9. utilizes very compact code to read index values
    10. works with multiple partitions using a simple algorithm
    11. six pins can set up to 64 index values (need only 50 per partition)
    12. enough prop pins are available (uses 6 out of 32)
    13. simple wiring schematic
    14. green energy efficient - recycles use of one resistor for multiple pins
    15. uses sequential pins for easy enumeration (pins 0 through 5)
    16. functions well with cloned software
    17. method readily conforms to binary programming
    18. IDs are not prone to change
    19. IDs are not prone to duplication
    20. method does not tie up the BUS
    21. method does not require serial interface
    22. method does not require any prop to prop wiring
    23. method can ID an unlimited number of Propeller chips
    The disadvantages
    • uses six pins per prop
    • uses code and parts

Overview

The pins six bits are arranged as follows:
    0    1    2    3    4    5    6     PIN NUMBER
    1    2    4    8    16   32   64    BINARY VALUE
    minimum value = 0, maximum value = 64

Wiring
    For a low 0, a pin is routed to a 10K ohm resistor which leads to ground.
    For a high 1, the other side of the pin is additionally routed to 3.3 volts (see schematic).

Multiple Partitions
    For each Big Brain partition, 50 props require 50 resistors at 50 cents cost with 300 wires routing from pins to 3.3 volts and/or resistors to ground. Protective resistors may add another 50 cents. The enumerating method algorithm is compatible from partition to partition. Partition one is enumerated as ID from 1 to 50. Partition two is enumerated as

ID = ID + 50

Partition 3 is enumerated as

ID = ID + 100

This establishes 150 unique ID numbers for three Big Brain partitions.
    Enumerated sequences are read and loaded, then stored in volatile HUB RAM or simply re-determined upon demand. Upon reset or power recycle, the ID is easily re-established from hardware constants.

Additional methods were considered and reviewed in this thread:
    Multi-Prop ID Process - Make More Simple
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?132007-Multi-Prop-ID-Process-Make-More-Simple&p=1004991#post1004991

and here at post 698 on page 35 Fill the Big Brain
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?132007-Multi-Prop-ID-Process-Make-More-Simple&p=1004991#post1004991

Improvements
    The method can be improved by reducing 6 pins to four pins, by changing the Binary base 2 method to a Trinary base 3 method.
    edited 2011-06-02 06:31
    Brain Enumeration & subEnumeration

Introduction
    The Big Brain design employs a subProcessor design. The name may be changed in the future to more accurately reflect the functions. A need to provide a subProcessor address is important. How to do it?

Basic Brain Enumeration
    The Propeller chip is divided into the spread of eight Cogs. Eight Cogs in each Brain chip are further subdivided. These small 2K SPIN interpreter areas have access to the HUB RAM by code. Each Prop, as a chip, is enumerated. But chips are further subdivided and these subdivisions or subProcessors (or neurons or neural matter) may require additional enumeration.

Subdivisional Enumeration
    Subdivisional Enumeration is provided under each available Cog with subProcessors. Because the Big Brain is using Cloning, subProcessor Enumeration must take place after Cloning. The system of Cloning will be described in the future. The system of subEnumeration depends on the array config.

subEnumeration Emergence
    subEnumeration can use the same numerical index if the index is not brought outside the cog or bank. When the entity emerges from the Cog, the enumeration cannot duplicate the enumeration of the chip or the Cog. It also must not duplicate the enumeration of other chips or Cogs.

The Need to Emerge
    It is not known at this time for certain if the indices or entities will need to emerge but it is likely. More attention will be given to Emerging Neural Indices in the future.

The Levels of Enumeration and subEnumeration
    Cogs have enumeration as well. Each Cog has a Bank. So there are four levels of Enumeration:
    1. Chips
    2. Cogs
    3. Banks
    4. SubProcessors*
    *examples are neurons, neural matter, synapse, axion, special cell, fluid, other

The Machine Neural Stackup
    For the ease of simple consideration, let's look at only two Propeller Partitions for a nice round number of 100 Propeller chips. How do the remaining elements of Enumeration stack up?

Stackup of 100 Propellers
    100 chips (100 IDs)
    800 Cogs (800 IDs)
    100,000 Banks (100,000 IDs)
    800,000 SubProcessors (800,000 IDs)
    edited 2011-06-02 07:13
    Intro to Propeller Big Brain Fluid

Brain Physics comprise much of the following:
    • Neural Matter
    • Electrical Impulse Properties
    • Timing
    • Waveform
    • Code
    • Connection
    • I/O
    One Big Brain element not perviously discussed is Fluid Brain Matter. Fluids can flow, move fast or slow, have specific periods and waveform shapes, rise, fall, displace, accrue in regions, swarm in motions, dry up, saturate, dilute, and reach critical mass.

A propagating pulse can also flow in directions such as up, down, more positive, or more negative and exert more or less pressure. A screen of propagation can flow. Waves of multiplicity Neurons can likewise flow. Electrical energy can rise and ebb.

Fluids can change frequency, color, charge, energy and move in response to objects and other stimulus. Fluids can be filled or drained, or mixed and harmonized with other fluids. Their waveforms can peak and crest, be measured and controlled, or left uncontrolled.

Fluids can be ionized and changed in their behavior, and made more or less viscous. A fluid can be turned into glass which flows over the centuries. Fluids can condense from thin air! A fluid can evaporate into the nothingness of space.

A fluid can undergo electrolysis and change into separating gases. Water can form hydrogen and oxygen. A fluid can boil and become steam. A fluid can be detected and measured. It has mass, weight, inertia, size, shape and other physical properties. Fluids can be detected with spectrometers from afar.

A fluid can lie dormant for eons of time, under the soil of Mars or in a crater on the Moon or Mercury. A fluid can change its matter from liquid into a solid. A fluid can be frozen and thawed out after millennia. Fluids can hold particles in suspension or swirl them around in patters of vortex and dynamic internal wind systems.

A fluid can form dew across the face of a telescope lens or mirror in the chill of the morning. Contaminated fluid can conduct electricity more readily. A fluid can form mud.

In Hydrodynamics and Thermodynamics, a fluid can drive valves, solenoids, motors, engines, and turn to steam. A fluid with heat can expand or cool and contract in cold recesses. It can define the adiabatic processes of space. It can define Brownian motion and the dispersal of light in prismatic ways.

It can bend light in remarkable manners according to Snell's Law. A fluid can be made into a spring, oscillating, pushing and pulling, or it can be dammed. Compressed fluid can be beneficial as well. Fluid that flows can be nozzle-directed as in rocket exhaust that is made more powerful and directed.

Fluid can become a mist and settle on things, making dry things wet. Fluid can obscure vision and produce fog, mist and haze. Fluids in the air that freeze at extreme temperatures can create sound. A waterfall can create great forces and sound. Fluids can conduct sound.

Things can travel in a fluid, swimmers, light, sound, electricity, fish. Things can float on top of a fluid, boats, bugs, trash. It can move from a higher to a lower place. It can be dammed and used to generate power.

Fluids can form blocks of ice and preserve things, placing them into preserved suspended animation, then thawed out in the future. Fluids can be cleansing of various systems, the washing of a car, the cleansing of human kidneys, the rain that falls on the earth.

Fluids can reflect damaging solar and deep space particles that attempt to enter the Earth's upper atmosphere. Fluids can form white snow. it can be depressing or enlightening, and make a cup half empty or half full. It can cause mirages and reflections and destroy entire cities with tsunamis.

It can form sleet and hail the size of baseballs. It can harbor the greatest variety of living organisms on planet Earth - in oceans. It can accrue, join together, collect, forming lakes and rivers. On a hot summer day, it can cool you while swimming. You can swim in it, thrash in it, splash it, throw it, dive in it, drown in it, and slap it like a hard surface.

Why are we talking about Brain fluids? Fluids can satisfy thirst and propagate cells and fuel matter and cells in the human brain and body. We can simulated fluids through various means in the Machine Brain. Fluids created in the Big Brain are extremely important.
    • Electronic
    • Electrical
    • Wave Nature
    • Light
    • E&M
    • Relativity
    • Quantum Mechanics
    It is important to keep in mind fluid properties as these will be used in the Machine Brain in the future.
  • Dave HeinDave Hein Posts: 6,347
    edited 2011-06-02 07:27
    erco wrote: »
    A minute is a bit long to wait for the punchline, so I viewed the HTML source while I was waiting for something to happen. I realized something was fishy when I saw that it was playing a flash file instead of displaying a still image.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2011-06-02 07:43
    Humanoido,

You really do need to show your schematic for the enumeration method. Based on your verbal description alone, I'm not sure how -- or if -- it will work.

-Phil
    edited 2011-06-02 10:38
    Humanoido, You really do need to show your schematic for the enumeration method. Based on your verbal description alone, I'm not sure how -- or if -- it will work.
    I'm still waiting for a good drawing program and the new computer. I made my previous drawing with Paintbrush on the old Mac.

In the mean time I can re-describe the circuit, refer you to a PEK page with a schematic, or photo my very rough notes which show a tiny napkin sketch.

Basically I just create a pushbutton switch circuit without the pushbutton, on each of six pins 0 through 5. It's either pull up or pull down to represent the two pin states.

You can see the Propeller schematic in the PEK book on page 44 and 93. Just make six of these for six pins.

I simplified the circuit a little for six pins, with just two wire lines.

If you don't have a PEK book, I could download a copy, then copy the schematic and upload it here.

If you really need the schematic drawing, let me know, I'll make a better sketch tomorrow, photo it, and upload. I should do this anyway. The post has a note for a schematic.

Take care.
    edited 2011-06-02 11:14
    It's the simplification that has me concerned, since you mentioned using one resistor for all six lines.

-Phil
    edited 2011-06-02 12:42
    It's the simplification that has me concerned, since you mentioned using one resistor for all six lines.

In some designs a pin is routed directly to ground to read a low. It works but the code must be perfect. As mentioned in the original post, adding a safety resistor adds 50 cents (to each Partition of 50 props at one penny per resistor).
    edited 2011-06-02 13:04
    Enumeration Schematic
    6 pin method with two lines
    prop        line 1      line 2
    pin
                             +3.3v
                  |            |
                  |            |
    0 ------------|------------| 
                  |            |
    1 ------------|------------| 
                  |            |
    2 ------------|------------| 
                  |            |
    3 ------------|------------| 
                  |            |
    4 ------------|------------| 
                  |            |
    5 ------------|------------| 
                  |            |
                  <            <
                  >  r1        > r2
                  <            <
                  |            |
                  |            |
                  |            |
                  -------------------------> gnd

r1 and r2 = 10k ohms
    line 1 is a zero
    line 2 is a one

example enumeration
    49 decimal = 110001 binary
    prop        line 1      line 2
    pin
                             +3.3v
                  |            |
                  |            |
    0 ------------|------------x 
                  |            |
    1 ------------x------------| 
                  |            |
    2 ------------x------------| 
                  |            |
    3 ------------x------------| 
                  |            |
    4 ------------|------------x 
                  |            |
    5 ------------|------------x 
                  |            |
                  <            <
                  >  r1        > r2
                  <            <
                  |            |
                  |            |
                  |            |
                  -------------------------> gnd

EDIT: Please disregard the above schematic. A much improved circuit appears in post 830 and shown below. Thanks Phil!

attachment.php?attachmentid=81689&d=1307055633
  • Dave HeinDave Hein Posts: 6,347
    edited 2011-06-02 13:34
    Humanoido, you could use 4 pins with tertiary states to get 81 values. Each pin would be low, high or open. You could test for open by setting a pin for low output, and then set it for input and read it back. You would then run the test with a high output. Add the two readings together to get the tertiary value. 0 + 0 = 0, 0 + 1 = 1, and 1 + 1 = 2.

If you have 6 pins available it is better to go with binary inputs, but if you can only afford 4 pins tertiary inputs would work.
    edited 2011-06-02 14:13
    Trinary Enumeration
    Using the float/limbo state
    Dave Hein wrote: »
    Humanoido, you could use 4 pins with tertiary states to get 81 values. Each pin would be low, high or open. You could test for open by setting a pin for low output, and then set it for input and read it back. You would then run the test with a high output. Add the two readings together to get the tertiary value. 0 + 0 = 0, 0 + 1 = 1, and 1 + 1 = 2.

If you have 6 pins available it is better to go with binary inputs, but if you can only afford 4 pins tertiary inputs would work.
    Wow Dave! We are thinking alike! Read the last sentence in post 818 on the previous page. You have a very good simple method to detect float and state - thanks for mentioning it.

Trinary is really cool. Four pins handle 81 states so 50 props in each Partition can be enumerated easily...and theoretically the entire Brain could do a quadrillion states. (has anyone found a good use for a quadrillion states?)

For a larger brain, 5 pins handle 405 enumerations, 6 pins 1215, 7 will do 3,645 and eight pins are at 10,935 states. The O/C Float state is where nothing is connected to the pin - there's a Vdd/2 threshold and also called a limbo state (in my book, sorry if I incense some people).

The software to handle it is relatively simple. I also found this Forum quote which says the same thing: Set to high output then set it to an input and read the pin. Do the same with a low output. If the pin reads the same both times, you know it's pulled up to that state with a resistor. If it reads anything differently, you know it's floating.

In another post outside of the Big Brain thread, I calculated the full quadrillion states and posted the results. That would make a good trinary reference table for the Brain project. (still looking for the link)

references
    http://forums.parallax.com/group.php?do=discuss&discussionid=16
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?125757-More-Prop-Pins-amp-States&p=940544&viewfull=1#post940544
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?126164-Millions-and-Millions-of-Pins&highlight=trinary
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?125757-More-Prop-Pins-amp-States&p=940555&viewfull=1#post940555

and here on page 37
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?124495-Fill-the-Big-Brain&p=1000525&viewfull=1#post1000525
    Massive Propeller Brain Trinary State Output Device
    a plane with quadrillions of Brain controllable states proposed

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?126696-Large-Numbers-amp-Their-Uses&highlight=trinary
    edited 2011-06-02 15:49
    Brain Speed Doodle

The Big Brain
    Propellers
    No. of Partitions No. of Props MIPS

1 50 50x160=8,000
    2 100 16,000
    3 150 24,000 MIPS

Apple Mac
    1.01 TeraFlop (not including quad core cpu)
    approx. one trillion floating point operations per second

Total Brain processing speed = 1 trillion FLOPS + 24,000 MIPS + 2.7GHz Intel Quad Core speed
    edited 2011-06-02 16:04
    Humanoido,

In your schematic, R2 does nothing and can be eliminated. R1 could just as easily be a short to ground (unless connecting a pin to both "high" and "low" is physically possible). But whether these resistors stay or go, it's a pretty risky circuit, since you've got a direct connection to Vdd (at least) and direct connections between pins. If, due to a program bug, one or more pins become outputs, the resulting bus conflict could destroy some Prop ports.

More to the point, however, if you plan to use the trinary system, the following circuit topology is a must, since some pins will become outputs:

I would recommend doing it this way even if you don't use the trinary system.

-Phil
    174 x 220 - 1K
    edited 2011-06-02 18:38

I would recommend doing it this way even if you don't use the trinary system.

Excellent! Thanks Phil for this much improved circuit!
    edited 2011-06-03 12:08
    Constructing a Transparent Plastic Brain Base
    For Child & Baby Brains

attachment.php?attachmentid=81739&d=1307129979
    The setup for making a TransPlastic base is simple

Child Brain and Baby Brains are constructed from attached solderless breadboards. In some instances with some brand breadboards, the mechanical connection is somewhat loose resulting in the boards coming apart when moved. A Transparent Plastic Brain Base using TransPlastic serves as a good strong coherent support for multiple breadboards.

attachment.php?attachmentid=81742&d=1307130042
    Transparent plastic is easily worked and cut to size with a soldering iron

attachment.php?attachmentid=81741&d=1307130024
    Baby Brain: Place the adjoning edge of the solderless breadboard flush with the edge of the transparent plastic, to allow any future expansion. This may or may not be useful, depending on how the bases are meshed.

The Transparent Plastic is easily worked with a soldering iron. Scribe a pencil line and align it with a metal straightedge or ruler. Slide a hot soldering iron along the edge of the metal ruler slow and evenly. DO NOT melt all the way through the thickness of the Transparent Plastic.

Repeat the process on the back side. When melting, go down about 1/3 of the total thickness of the plastic.

Now place the plastic on the edge of a table, aligning the melted line with the table edge. Quickly snap the plastic and it will result in a perfect clean edge.

Peel back the paper from the sticky side of the connected breadboards and attach to the Transparent Plastic.

Remember, you may later want to add more breadboards. On the expansion side of the breadboard, make certain the TransPlastic edge is flush with the side of the breadboard. It may or may not be useful for your particular app.

The sheets of Transparent Plastic come in normal clipboard sizes, slightly larger than a sheet of 8.5 x 11-inch paper, so it works well on breadboards of this span or smaller.

Transparent Plastic is good for constructing bases, project boxes, shelves, ledges, dividers, insulators, alignment planes, supports, and various optical devices for the direction, redirection and filtering of light.

For more information about obtaining and using TransPlastic, consult previous posts on this topic in the Big Brain thread.

attachment.php?attachmentid=81740&d=1307130003
    To be safe, don't burn/cut TransPlastic on top of your computer. Though note the burn cut on each side does not go through when done properly. Always put old nonflammable materials on top of the table or provide a protective surface.
    523 x 401 - 77K
    580 x 424 - 94K
    395 x 435 - 75K
    270 x 370 - 34K
  • jazzedjazzed Posts: 11,803
    edited 2011-06-03 12:47
    Here is another nice "BrainCollage"

brain.jpg
    edited 2011-06-03 12:55
    jazzed wrote: »
    Here is another nice "BrainCollage"

jazzed, it's very interesting. I see the combination of abacus, slide rule, and calculator inside the brain. The small kite is interesting. I've actually seen little ones about that size. The small tv is about the same size as the Parallax one already in the Big Brain. Keyboard is there too. It's jam packed!
    edited 2011-06-03 13:02
    Brain Travel Voltage Tip

Always build with parts that are compatible with the two main world standards in the East and West - 120 and 220 VAC, if you have a traveling Brain. I have some power supplies that are duo but my soldering iron is 240 and will get left behind. It's also possible to use a step transformer to gain some compatibility but that's not without some issues.
    edited 2011-06-04 05:54
    The Magical Brain Partition
    Big Brain will loan his chips to others

This solves an age old problem. You build a project and then have no Propeller chips left over to build the next project. So unfortunately projects may be sacrificed for newer projects. What to do?

Enter the Big Brain era. Big Brain has so many Propeller chips on board that it would be possible to loan out chips to other projects. This is the idea.

To develop the idea and put it into action we created a third Big Brain Partition, called the Magical Partition. The MP fully loads to 50 Propeller chips, the same as the preceding each of two Partitions.

But unlike the previous two Partitions which require exactly 50 prop chips to function, the Magical Partition is variable, i.e. it can operate with any number of chips, just as long as the number of chips is in the range - between 1 and 50 inclusive.

What does this indicate? With Partition 3 only, the Big Brain can loan out Propeller chips to other projects and yet remain intact and fully functional.

What happens when the number of props exceed 150 within the Big Brain you ask? A fourth Brain Partition is built and the Magic Partition is shifted upwards and Partition 3 is no longer the Magic Partition as Partition 4 now takes the torch.
    edited 2011-06-04 07:10
    Big Brain Goes On the Multi-Prop List

In case you don't know, there's a Muli-Prop List with several big multi propeller projects:

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?124172-Multiple-Prop-Projects

Recently added and updated:

Updated Propeller project machines

* ClockLoop 55
    * Michael O'Brien 80
    * Humanoido 150

OVER 100 PROPS
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?124495-Fill-the-Big-Brain
    Humanoido The Big Propeller Brain: A massive machine brain with over 100 Parallax Propeller chips. The project is now approaching one year of development time.

Big Brain is now functional. The design has three Propeller partitions with 50 props each. The third Partition is called the Magical Partition. It can hold any number of props from one to fifty allowing removal of props on loan to other projects which can be returned to the Big Brain at any time.

Big Brain can talk, sing, dream, learn, evolve, demonstrate Life, has neurons, color TV, hearing, speech recognition, keyboard, mouse, two LCD displays, host boards, compatible with STAMPS, PROPS, PCs, Macs, with sound output, microphone input, a stomach, Brain Base, Brain Spans, Brain Stem, runs multiple languages, dreams, has 41 x 32K distributed memory inside the EXOskeleton, supporting Mac and PC computers, up to 3 TeraByte hard drives, and a Neural Matter Injector to sync and load up all props in parallel.

In tests, software loads over 100,000 exampling neurons and can inject a variety of sample neurons. It has a modest RTOS handling Cogs, loading, timing, and the distribution of neural matter. New features being added are multi-enumeration with hardware and software, quadrillions of states, variations in loading, and variations in distribution. The release of a completed software package is anticipated from 2012 to 2014.

The Big Brain is simply a fun hobby project to run experiments and to play with the endless possibilities. Expanding arrays were added using breadboards with thousands of wires.

Development remains ongoing. The Big Brain has a HYBRID interface, neural matter, neurons, Injector, Enumerator, algorithmic variations, and other matters.

The project has the blessing, advice, and helpful direction from many members of the Parallax Forum.

A medical doctor with the Human Genome Project has reviewed the Big Brain project and is now an advisor regarding human brain technology.

Big Brain has a Child Brain and a Baby Brain. A new supporting Mac computer will add on to an already powerful array of Parallax Propeller chips and will push the Big Brain technology domain into the TeraFLOPS region of computing power, a magnitude under PetaFlops.

The project will expand from a lab in China to an all new Brain Laboratory being built in the USA at an isolated place nicknamed Black Rock Mountain. BRM will also serve as an astronomical observatory and space program launch site for robotic payloads, the laboratory for the development of humanoid robotics, R&D and ongoing Propeller ad Brain development.
  • ElectricAyeElectricAye Posts: 4,561
    edited 2011-06-04 07:55
    Humanoido wrote: »
    ... new Brain Laboratory being built in the USA at an isolated place... will also serve as an astronomical observatory....

Sounds like my kind of place. Humanoido, are you sure you're not already being used by your Big Brain creation? Is it possible your Big Brain is leading you to install a remote Big Brain-powered SETI system so it can seek out distant brains in the cosmos, link up with them, learn from them, only to leave all of us primate brains here on earth, shriveling in the dust, like the discarded husks we are destined to become?

child-blowing-dandelion1.jpg
  • jazzedjazzed Posts: 11,803
    edited 2011-06-04 08:24
    Has your collage of chips and wires passed a turing test yet?
  • LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
    edited 2011-06-04 08:45
    The Big Brain is forcing him to create new ones in other parts of the world, starting with the USA. Eventually, they will start making their own Propeller chips, and take over the world.
  • TtailspinTtailspin Posts: 1,326
    edited 2011-06-04 08:56
    You can't be a beacon if your light don't shine...

-Tommy
This discussion has been closed.