Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Fill the Big Brain - Page 20 — Parallax Forums

Fill the Big Brain

Comments

• HumanoidoHumanoido Posts: 5,770
    edited 2011-04-15 01:20
    Brain Situation

The only focus at this point is to work on the computer drive to retrieve the files. The entire Brain project is suspended until further notice. Please do not ask for project information and please do not criticize me or the project for this unfortunate event.

To reinterate, all Brain project files were lost on the computer due to a virus when the service man reinstalled windows. If files can be restored, there is a chance the project will resume. Anyone with Windows experience can offer suggestions.

The service center is still working on the computer. They requested the names of the files that were located on the desktop, apparently to try and find them on the hard drive. It is believed the virus changed the file names or hid them. Another belief is they were deleted. I supplied about 100 file names from memory, but no word on any success. This will probably run into next week. A backup of the hard drive was made by the service center after they reinstalled windows and the files disappeared. No one is saying which program was used to make the backup. It is probably not a sector to sector backup which makes it more limited.
  • AlsowolfmanAlsowolfman Posts: 65
    edited 2011-04-15 08:09
    Humanoido wrote: »
    Correct. So the real question is if a new Windows is installed over the old Windows, and the desktop now appears blank due to writing new source folders, where before it held all the folders of propeller files and data, and if the computer is booted with the LINUX CD, how to find and retrieve the hidden files?

I'm not sure if this will help, but there is a program called scalpel on linux that i believe can help recover files.

http://www.howtoforge.com/recover-deleted-files-with-scalpel
    edited 2011-04-16 21:23
    Brain Computer & Hard Drive Updates
    I'm not sure if this will help, but there is a program called scalpel on linux that i believe can help recover files.

http://www.howtoforge.com/recover-deleted-files-with-scalpel
    Thanks for this good information. I realized I have neither the equipment nor the experience to work on the drive and will seek out very professional and experienced people to accomplish the task of restoration.

Update: the computer and hard drive is immediately being flown to Taiwan for professional disk drive restoration. Taiwan is the computer capitol of the world and is well versed in disk drive restoration.

A bit of caveat for those of you following alone. The computer had virus but files were still on the hard drive at that time. The computer MIS man provided a Chinese anti virus software. When the software was run, it was a virus, and set forth "deleting" files and Windows without asking.

The Chinese company of this anti virus software is running a scam. After your drive is damaged on purpose from their software, they offer to fix your hard drive for a large fee. The MIS man commented that stock in this company went down to only 10%, identifying their nature of ill repute. Unfortunately this information comes a bit late.
  • TtailspinTtailspin Posts: 1,326
    edited 2011-04-16 23:35
    The thought of teaching the Big Brain superstition gave me a chuckle, But now, I am worried for the Big Brain...

We aren't going to teach the Big Brain about Scamming? Are we?...

I mean computers already contribute to much to the wide world of scamming,
    Considering the mass Emailing macros, spam bots, and even the deamon dialers of old..

However, if it weren't for computers,
    I would not have won the Super Lotto five times this week.. Literally.
    Not to mention the Gold Dust waiting for Me at the shipping company.
    And all I gotta do to collect My million dollars, is send them My "contec infromations"...

If We do teach the Big Brain all about 419 Scams and such, At the very least,
    Can we please Fill the Big Brain with a Spell Checker first?, I'm just say'in... :smile:

Anyway, I hope You can recover Your Hard Drive Humanoido,
    Wishing You Good Luck...
    edited 2011-04-18 00:34
    Ttailspin wrote: »
    The thought of teaching the Big Brain superstition gave me a chuckle, But now, I am worried for the Big Brain...We aren't going to teach the Big Brain about Scamming? Are we?...I mean computers already contribute to much to the wide world of scamming, Considering the mass Emailing macros, spam bots, and even the deamon dialers of old..

However, if it weren't for computers, I would not have won the Super Lotto five times this week.. Literally. Not to mention the Gold Dust waiting for Me at the shipping company. And all I gotta do to collect My million dollars, is send them My "contec infromations"...

If We do teach the Big Brain all about 419 Scams and such, At the very least, Can we please Fill the Big Brain with a Spell Checker first?, I'm just say'in... :smile: Anyway, I hope You can recover Your Hard Drive Humanoido, Wishing You Good Luck...
    Thanks for your support Ttailspin. It would be a worthwhile project to dedicate the Brain to serve as an Anti-Scam device.

It's the negative subversive actions of humans that mess up computers, brains and artificial intelligence. Now we have proof for justifying this statement.

While you were busy winning the lottery five times, each week I'm informed that by providing my bank account number and complete personal information, I can collect 25 million dollars from the Sultan who needs me to collect on his inherited estate. It's truly amazing there's up to 12 people each week with the same request.

Definitely the Brain needs to know how to spell. There's several chat box programs that do a remarkable job on English grammar and spelling, worthy of looking into in the future. We've already established the need for Brain speech, singing, recognition, etc.
    edited 2011-04-18 00:45
    Brain Hard Drive Attempted Restoration Update

The professional hard drive restoration company has issued an update for today - the hard drive had its files disembodied. literally cut apart and piecmealed, and then spread out over two partitions. The hard drive restoration company believes a small amount of files can be recovered but no guarantee as to which ones. It's going to be a grab bag mix, literally, as the file names and folder names are so mixed that they are beyond recogniton or restoration. I can probably figure out what the file is, provided the extension is workable, and given the proper amount of time to investigate the nature of the files. We hope the Brain appreciates the expensive effort of investing thousands of dollars in a great heroic attempt to keep his cognition and higher ordered thinking intact. The resources now put on this Brain are mind boggling as teams of people are now involved in two countries.
    edited 2011-04-18 00:51
    Brain Drive Schedule

Current schedule is to fly the hard drive back to this country in about a week, at which time the restored files will be reviewed, sorted, classed, tested and organized as copied onto a new 1TB drive.
    edited 2011-04-18 00:53
    New Brain Drive Selection

Plans are now in effect to negate the smaller hard drives and go with 1TB drives. According to Apple, a few years down the road, even a 1TB will appear too small. With half a million files on the previous computer, it's time to step up the technology.
    edited 2011-04-18 00:58
    The Problem with Backup

The problem encounted with backup is that Windows cannot handle long file names, so during the backing up process, an error results and the backup is terminated.

Special backup software handles this issue by issuing an error and continuing to copy, however, based on the number of file names exceeding maximum lengths, this could be an exceedingly large number of files errored and not copied.

The remedy is to use a Mac which handles file names to a massive 128 characters (possibly more depending on the OS selected).
    edited 2011-04-18 01:09
    Microsoft Windows is Now Ditched

Due to the high inordinate number of major reoccuring problems and countless flaws with the Microsoft Windows operating system, we are giving it up and will no longer use it in all our main computer systems. We consider Microsoft Windows itself to be a virus due to the flawed way it operates. Windows will not be installed into any multi-boot computers and not licensed in any way, and we will no longer contribute sums of money to Microsoft company or the Billionaire owner Bill Gates.
    edited 2011-04-18 01:12
    Brain Oriented LINUX & UNIX Training Begins

This week marks the beginning of "Brain" LINUX training, for a new OS selected to operate in conjunction with the Big Brain's computer array. LINUX is already in use. A hot boot disk is created and functioning, which is on a CD readable. Additional Distros are now up and running for various programming exercises. Additional computers are being collected to run multi OS systems that include LINUX. A multi OS switch over will occur in the future for running Propeller and Stamp. Smaller LINUX Distros will be placed on Flash pen drives for portability.

When LINUX is studied, it is really a study of UNIX. Some good sources are online.

Quick LINUX Tutorial
    http://www.fsid.cvut.cz/cz/U201/linux.html

http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Teaching/Unix/

http://lowfatlinux.com/

LINUX Shell Scripting
    http://www.freeos.com/guides/lsst/

http://www.linux-tutorial.info/modules.php?name=MContent&pageid=224
    edited 2011-04-18 01:20
    IBM LENOVO ThinkPad Computers Now Trashed

Due to the flawed nature of the Windows OS, close ties, and age of the IBM LENOVO ThinkPad Computers, all will likely be trashed. New computer selection will NOT include any pc with ties to the Windows OS. If you see the microsoft logo on a key on the keyboard, it could end up going out the window, literally. After reviewing the number of lab computers, there are additional Windows computers that will be thrown away. In the machine company, they had a saying about computers that ran Windows, i.e. they were good for one purpose - as boat anchors. If the computers are open ended enough to run LINUX, they could be retained.
    edited 2011-04-18 01:32
    Brain's New Computer Selection Nears Finalization

It is now decided the Brain and Brain Lab will receive a new powerful computer. The new computer provider company is Apple. The computer is a high end Macintosh fyully loaded and chosen for maxed out items.

Items Maxed
    • Processor type and speed
    • hard drive size
    • cache for video graphics
    • video graphics card
    • OS
    • extended RAM
    • video output device
    • software
    This will include matching auto backup sustainables Terabytes internal and external hard drives. If you review the latest Apple Mac information, it shows the INTEL Quad Core chip is fully implemented on the Mac. The reviews for this computer are excellent.
    edited 2011-04-18 01:37
    Brain is Hermetically Sealed

To avoid loss of wiring and dust infiltration during this interim time period, the Brain and its components are hermetically sealed. This now includes the main Big Brain, the Twin Brain, the Third Brain, and all neural brain matter injectors. Sealing is accomplished with simple off the shelf components. This includes some rolls of duct tape, large freezer bags, and a Wal-Mart bag sealer. The simple sealer removes the air and seals the end of the bag. We are not going with a high vacumm level because it's unecessary, and likely damaging, but rather just enough to "preserve" the bag. If it can effectively preserve food, it will be enough to seal out the dust from contaminating the brain. It works very cool, as you can see a kind of shrink wrapping effect take place. Low cost sealing machines may be found online at the Wal-Mart web site when they periodically run sales.

www.walmart.com

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Seal-a-Meal-Vac-Sealer-Model-VS106/10660639

In the store, they're found with the freezer bags and supplies. In the Super stores they are found with the grocery items. The plastic shrinks to conform to the contour of the Brain's EXO. On the larger breadboards, some interconnects were pulled on one side, i.e. ground, hot, and interface, to make the physical size smaller for more easy sealing. On these solderless breadboards, one may not want the highest level of vacuum sealing or the shrink wrapping may crush the component and wiring positioning.
    edited 2011-04-18 01:43
    Brain EEPROMs Retain Code

The final tests of the Brains have now revealed they are fully functioning due to code stored in EEPROMs. The Brain Injectors have working neural injection code. The Biggest Brain is running a multi part audio test. Other brains have other code in working states. This will be helpful if any code is reconstructed, i.e. to observe the output squences and use it for coding. Another form of memory retention is a discovered series of photos still in the camera memory media, waiting for download. Eventually these may be posted.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2011-04-18 01:46
    "Hermetic" means airtight. Please post photos of the sealing apparatus. This I've got to see!

And why does it take eight separate posts to publish a mere 21 lines of content?

-Phil
  • Martin_HMartin_H Posts: 4,051
    edited 2011-04-18 19:14
    Here are some helpful computer repair tips: http://theoatmeal.com/blog/fix_computer
    edited 2011-04-18 21:33
    Martin_H wrote: »
    Here are some helpful computer repair tips: http://theoatmeal.com/blog/fix_computer
    Martin, these are the most useful tips so far. I think we followed all of these at one time or another and could add a few tips of our own. For example, we could switch to a manual word processor.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_difference_between_a_manual_and_electronic_word_processor
    edited 2011-04-19 02:27
    Brain Update 04.19.11

The Hard drive restoration company in Taiwan is continuing to work on restoring files on the Brain's hard drive today. It appears more days will be involved in this task. Only a few files are recovered as of today so any kind of complete recovery will undoubtedly not happen. We can only hope that within the few recovered files, the primary Brain test code will emerge along with some related projects code.

A new 1 Terabyte drive is now purchased to function as a complete backup system with the upcoming Brain's new computer system. New programming directly from the Operating System will tie in this drive with the internal drive on a 1:1 scheduling match of files. This will include all Propeller programming. Archives will exist on another 1 Terabyte drive. It's possible the Brain will tie in with this very powerful computer and have access to multi-terabytes.
    edited 2011-04-19 02:45
    Brain OS Choices
    Examining numerous OS choices

http://alternatives.rzero.com/os.html

"Microsoft Windows isn't the only operating system for personal computers, or even the best... it's just the best-distributed. Its inconsistent behavior and an interface that changes radically with every version are the main reasons people find computers difficult to use. Microsoft adds new bells and whistles in each release, and claims that this time they've solved the countless problems in the previous versions... but the hype is never really fulfilled. Microsoft Windows isn't the only operating system for personal computers, or even the best... it's just the best-distributed. Its inconsistent behavior and an interface that changes radically with every version are the main reasons people find computers difficult to use. Microsoft adds new bells and whistles in each release, and claims that this time they've solved the countless problems in the previous versions... but the hype is never really fulfilled. "

A list of Operating Systems

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_operating_systems
    edited 2011-04-19 03:11
    Brain Repurposing

The Brain has already become big and powerful in terms of the number of Propeller chips (over 100), the raw quoted combined MIPS (with over clocking), the massive twin brain and extra large brains in partitions, the new neural injectors capable of injections of over 100,000 neurons (photos of this process will be available in the future) and now the upcoming tandem operating interface with a new powerful computer. The latter offers a high degree of speed and power, and in some areas, can exceed the Brain. In other areas, the Brain exceeds it. Combined, the two resources offer an unparallele magnitude of Brain processing power.

The impending interminable question is in regard to the connection of the two entities. It can be accomplished through various means, including internet, firewire, bluetooth, direct USB connection, etc. The Mac resources, with it's powerful UNIX based OS, ultra high resolution graphics, high speed graphics card with multiple processors, high speed multicore GPU. multi-TB drives/storage, etc. etc. will elevate the Brain to new heights. As a result, the Brain will be repurposed. More information on this will follow.
    edited 2011-04-19 03:25
    Developing a New Brain Layering
    NB Possible Cancellation

It's likely the NB will end up cancelled as a primary Brain compendium, although it could exist in some minor supportive manner. In effect, the powerful main computer (previously discussed) will connect, with it's ability to run multicore and tens to hundreds of apps. Given the tandem operation of the brain runnning over a hundred thousand neuronal apps, the combination layering will make a more powerful brain. It is possible, in speculation, the Brain could run a chat box front end for human based interfacing and maintain access to the world wide web for knowledge and information with mutual tandom connection. The new Brain will be a quantum leap above the previous brain before Windows was discontinued.
    edited 2011-04-19 03:44
    Brain Update 04.20.11

The Hard drive restoration company has completed their work. What is the verdict that we are all waiting for other than the high cost of work? Out of 50G of files, just under 10G was recovered. What is the state and condition of the recovery? As noted, in Word files examined, they are totally unusable and unreadable. The state and condition of remaining files, which includes Brain programming, is unknown at this time. Only the hard drive was worked on. The PC is still sick and not in any bootable condition. The translation about what was performed in hard drive work does not make any sense. It does not seem reasonable that files would be restored on the same drive and then copied from there to someones computer and then finally transfered to another external. I won't know exactly the condition of what remains until it is finally delivered.
    edited 2011-04-19 23:06
    Brain Layering Computer Design Increase

The design for the new supporting Brain Layering Computer (high end Mac) is now upgraded to a higher end unit. With this kind of investment in Propellers and computers, it will need to have multipurpose enabling and last a good number of years. Therefore to withstand the grains of time, a higher core processor (with more cores) is now selected with a much faster graphics card. Additionally another Terabyte will be added on top of the HD system. This now includes a much larger screen for opening more multitasking Brain windows. The wiress keyboard & mouse will beneficial when the Brain is in wireless remote mode. More RAM is also added, which doubles over the former design. Added RAM can handle several operating systems for quad boot. The high end OS handles mutiple processors. More upgrading may take place. More details will follow.
    edited 2011-04-20 00:46
    Brain Computer Multipurposing

In order to spread out the cost of the Brain layering computer over a period of time and gain more functions of usefulness, the number of projects and high end tasks that it can handle will be increased.
    • Brain multi purposed layering
    • Wireless connections
    • Enabling of super graphics
    • Multicore multitasking
    • Graphics, Sound, Speech, Video
    • High end security, antivirus, antimalware
    • Internet GB interfacing
    • Bot interfacing
    • Database, WP
    • Archival & extended backups
    • CAD/CAM Design, schematics, boards
    • Real time motion design
    • Brain access to resources
    • Projects, programming
    • other
    What does this indicate for the Brain? ..a lot more power and capability.
    edited 2011-04-20 01:02
    Brain Photos Batch Retrieval

attachment.php?attachmentid=80371&d=1303288226
    The path to the original Big Brain is paved with Propeller chips

Brain Photos Batch
    The most recent batch of Brain photos are now retrieved from the disk and stored onto a USB hard drive. This includes almost 70 photos. Unfortunately, any kind of graphics editing program is missing from the tiny host computer and the pics are not resized for posting. The photos appear to show a working Brain core system exceeding 100 Propellers. It shows the Giant Brain Propeller partitions, and the construction of the giant solderless breadboard around transparent plastic. It shows the injectors and the completion of the wiring in this phase. Also seen is the twin Brain and the Massive Brain which is larger than the original Big Brain. There's a prop lineup showing concatenation during construction. It shows the enormity of wiring in this project.When the pics are resized, they will be posted immediately. I wonder if there's an online picture processing program...

Photo Sizing
    The online picture processing programs were too slow. A simple picture capture program was installed (MWSnap) with some editing features. As seen in the photo, the brain is moved to the back wall and the long lab table was not long enough, therefore a lab extension was created from recycled fiberboard. The end to end projection of wiring is seen leading up to the original Big Brain. This is the wiring required to deliver the sum total of neural packages. It's a massive array with well over 70 individual solderless breadboards.
    676 x 530 - 69K
    edited 2011-04-20 01:55
    "Brain is Back" Campaign

The Brain is not dead - it's placed in a stasis of Hermetic Suspended Animation

You will be happy to know that everything possible is being done to bring back the Brain project, only this time the project will be substantially increased in magnitude and resources. No more diddling around with cheap IBM buggy Microsoft Windows laden computers. In fact, everything Microsoft related is being stripped out and pulled from the system. The new investment is on the best and most reliable Mac computers, operating systems and supporting hardware. The Brain is Back campaign includes new powerful resources to take the Brain to a new unprecidented level. Every day some major accomplishment is made to bring back the Brain. The Brain is Back campain includes the selection and acquisition of new resources and the creation of new programming and all new designs.
    edited 2011-04-20 02:14
    New Brain Lab Foundation Announced

The establishment of a new Parallax-Propeller Brain Lab is under way. All current resources will be transferred to the USA to establish a more vast Brain Lab Foundation. The new dedicated Brain Lab will include expanded new resources such as more space for working on the largest and most massive Brains, and the technical tools necessary to accomplish extended machine intelligence work on a variety of multi sized Brains. Peripheral Brain matter will be developed and served up from connectivity nodes. A vast network of Brains will likely be established. Braining will be introduced on various levels. Undoubtedly the wide range of Brains will have significant offerings to hobby and professional robotics projects, everything from more intelligent crawlers and wheelers to vastly more intelligent walking thinking humanoids.
    edited 2011-04-20 02:53
    Working on Brain Wiring

attachment.php?attachmentid=80373&d=1303292475
    This is the beginning of Brain Wiring. The wiring for several interfaces are yet to be completed as seen near the photo foreground.

Wiring in Progress
    The photo shows the magnitude of wiring the Brain in its photo'd state. The wires are color coded and based on interface design and function. After using up a thousand wires, some new colors were introduced. The work seen in this photo includes the interface to connect the Propellers and the Neural Brain Matter Injection interface. Wiring is definitely not assembly lined. Each propeller chip is brought up one at a time and placed in the nodes, then individually measured and tested. This is a very time consuming though enjoyable part of the work. A method is established to ensure instant visual feedback during a sampling matter injection.

Assembly Line
    Assembly line was tried and didn't work. If just one wire was open, it affected scores of other props, and there was no quick way of knowing which prop had the open wire. By bringing up individual props, assembly could take place much faster and troubleshooting time was minimized.
    823 x 530 - 108K
  • TtailspinTtailspin Posts: 1,326
    edited 2011-04-20 07:13
    Wonderful, The Big Brain coming to America? What Venue? (err..Where's it gonna be located?)
    Is this going to be a big move for You and Yours Humanoido?.

Anyway, Glad to see there is still hope for the Big Brain project.
This discussion has been closed.