Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Download PropBASIC here... 00.01.14 LAST VERSION FOR BST - Page 8 — Parallax Forums

Download PropBASIC here... 00.01.14 LAST VERSION FOR BST

Comments

• BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2010-01-28 12:39
    Here is another VGA demo, pretty much line the first except you can program the palette for each horizontal line.

Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Use BASIC on the Propeller with the speed of assembly language.

PropBASIC thread http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=867134
  • RsadeikaRsadeika Posts: 3,824
    edited 2010-01-28 12:55
    @Dr_A, probably the next step would be to add some kind of text capability, then after that widgets, windows, ...

Ray
    edited 2010-01-29 16:30
    Ray,
    I will get text working on VGA...Maybe this weekend if I get some free time.
    I also uploaded an updated version of the compiler today. Please get the latest version when you get a chance.

Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

PropBASIC thread http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=867134·
    edited 2010-01-31 03:34
    Here is the VGA demo with fonts and palette blocks.

NOTE: You MUST use PropBASIC version 00.00.77 or later to compile this. I fixed a bug that I found while writing this.

The resolution is 320x240 with 4 colors.
    Text is 40x30 with a 8x8 font.
    Each palette entry controls 16 pixels x 8 pixels (or two consecutive characters).

I have attached the .spin file too.

Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

• Dr_AculaDr_Acula Posts: 5,484
    edited 2010-01-31 09:17
    Some very pretty colors but I don't think I am doing this quite right. See photo. The original lines all come up as before, then it goes to this.

Mind you, it is nice to see the full range of colors there! This bodes well for games etc.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    www.smarthome.viviti.com/propeller
    1280 x 960 - 296K
    edited 2010-01-31 13:59
    Dr_Acula,
    You need to download version 00.00.77 of the compiler.

Bean

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

PropBASIC thread http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=867134·
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    edited 2010-01-31 15:18
    Great job Bean smile.gif I am following with great interest but too many other things on my plate :-(

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Links to other interesting threads:

· Home of the MultiBladeProps: TriBlade,·RamBlade,·SixBlade, website
    · Single Board Computer:·3 Propeller ICs·and a·TriBladeProp board (ZiCog Z80 Emulator)
    · Prop Tools under Development or Completed (Index)
    · Emulators: CPUs Z80 etc; Micros Altair etc;· Terminals·VT100 etc; (Index) ZiCog (Z80) , MoCog (6809)·
    · Prop OS: SphinxOS·, PropDos , PropCmd··· Search the Propeller forums·(uses advanced Google search)
    My cruising website is: ·www.bluemagic.biz·· MultiBlade Props: www.cluso.bluemagic.biz
  • Toby SeckshundToby Seckshund Posts: 2,027
    edited 2010-01-31 15:47
    Re VGA_Demo3

Just put a message up after about 30 secs saying " No errors found, test complete" .

It would impress a lot of the clients we get

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Style and grace : Nil point
  • TonyWaiteTonyWaite Posts: 219
    edited 2010-01-31 17:06
    @Bean
    Thank you for VGA#3: we now have a native PropBASIC way of getting a text onto VGA!
    T o n y
    edited 2010-02-02 23:36
    I thought that I would give it a bump, this is to make sure that Bean does not forget about this project LOL. Any guess as to when this will be
    coming out of BETA?

Ray
  • JonnyMacJonnyMac Posts: 8,929
    edited 2010-02-03 04:25
    Nobody's forgetting anything. Unlike whining and complaining, testing is hard work and Bean and I are doing a lot of it. You don't have to pay a dime for PropBASIC so its "beta" versus "production" status is irrelevant (note that the documentation states there is no warranty of any kind... period). If you're serious about PropBASIC, how about posting some of you own code so that Bean and I can see what you're doing and how we might make the compiler and the documentation better.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon McPhalen
    Hollywood, CA

Post Edited (JonnyMac) : 2/3/2010 4:55:06 AM GMT
    edited 2010-02-03 10:46
    VGA Text is fantastic!!

Check out the photo. Latest version of vga driver running on a Dracblade (but would work on any Prop with a VGA plug).

Letters of the alphabet, and a random palatte generator, so take your pick for a favourite color combo. This is amazing!

This brings up a technical question. I see in the demo there is a keyboard object, and the code for this sits in a TASK. I presume this goes in its own cog?

The minimum things I seem to always need are:
    1) keyboard
    2) Display
    3) One or two serial ports
    4) sd card for storing little files and data
    5) some general purpose spare propeller pins. Digital in/out, and analog in/out.

Propbasic is getting jolly close to that.

I wonder, for things like the 4 serial port driver that are pretty much all PASM and only a tiny bit of spin glue code, is it possible to drop that sort of PASM code into a PROPBasic program? Call it a Task, fill a cog with the same PASM code, interface with it in the same way?

Well, ok, the serial port is already done, and you could just use two cogs for two ports. This is racing ahead so fast. So exciting. Is SD card on the list?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Post Edited (Dr_Acula) : 2/3/2010 11:18:08 AM GMT
    1280 x 960 - 354K
    edited 2010-02-03 12:12
    @Dr_A, I think that some SD code, for propBASIC, would be a major project. I was following the Kye thread with his undertaking of some SD
    code, and he ran into some snags, he is a very good programmer. So, it's going to take somebody with a lot of skill to do the conversion.
    Since I also end up using more than one serial port, I wonder if there really is a simple way of combining it so you only use one cog. The
    other question I would have is, for instance, can the keyboard, vga, and something else be placed, in one TASK (cog), and be run successfully?
    Have to start thinking about consolidation of code to reduce the number cogs that will be used.

Keep up the good work Bean, everybody knows this is a freebie, and we are very grateful for the work that you have done.

Ray
    edited 2010-02-03 12:44
    To Jon's point:
    It is disheartening that while making demos and such, I seem to be the only one finding bugs.
    I know that some people tend to assume that the tool (PropBASIC) wouldn't do anything wrong and that it MUST be their code. PLEASE don't do that.
    This is beta testing, assume the compiler screwed up. And if you know a little PASM look at the generated code.
    If something isn't working right, please make a post in this thread.

@Dr_Acula, Yeah SD will be quite an undertaking. But you should be able to use the .spin version if you use something like the dispatch demo program.

I have make yet another VGA demo (during which I found another bug) so you need to download version 00.00.78 for this demo.
    I have added a line drawing routine and some other useful subroutines. Drawing now updates the palette for the points that are drawn.

Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Post Edited (Bean) : 2/3/2010 12:50:11 PM GMT
    edited 2010-02-03 12:46
    I thought I might have a shot at writing a bit of Propbasic code. Learning a lot as I go. The 'structure' reflects the prop architecture rather than Basic in some ways, but that is to be expected. Eg
    DIM myarray(10) = 0

is replaced with
    myarray HUB BYTE(10) = 0

But obviously that saves memory putting things in hub (as an aside, already thinking about putting arrays in external memory too).

Next thing I found is that subroutines need to be declared before use, with the number of parameters to be passed.
    ' Define Subroutines
    Plot      SUB 3   ' X, Y, Color(0-3)
    Text      SUB 3   ' X, Y, "String" (foreground is color 3, background is color 0)

I thought I would look at strings. Strings are not native to the propeller, at least not in the simple BASIC way of
    A$="Hello"
    PRINT LEFT$(a$,3)

But I've coded up strings in assembly so this is a similar task.

First, define a string array and fill with zeros (0 is the end marker)
    string1 HUB BYTE(32) = 0

Then, fill it with some bytes. I'm still doing this one byte at a time, but there probably is a simpler way to do this aka string1 = "ABC", but anyway:
        WRBYTE string1(0),"H"
        WRBYTE string1(1),"e"
        WRBYTE string1(2),"l"
        WRBYTE string1(3),"l"
        WRBYTE string1(4),"o"

And then define a little print routine
    Printf   SUB 2 ' X,Y and prints String1

and call it
        printf 0,0  ' prints string1 at position X,Y

and this is the print routine

SUB printf ' X, Y prints STRING1
      textX   VAR LONG
      textY   VAR LONG
      txtPtr  VAR LONG
      txtX    VAR LONG
      txtY    VAR LONG
      pixels  VAR LONG
      txtTemp VAR LONG
      counter VAR LONG
      textX = __param1
      textY = __param2
      counter = 0
      DO
        RDBYTE txtPtr, txtTemp
        INC txtPtr
        RDBYTE string1(counter),txtTemp
        IF txtTemp = 0 THEN EXIT
        INC counter
        txtTemp = txtTemp - " "
        txtTemp = txtTemp * 8
        GETADDR font, pixels
        txtTemp = txtTemp + pixels
        FOR txtY = 0 TO 7
          RDBYTE txtTemp, pixels
          INC txtTemp
          FOR txtX = 0 TO 7
            IF pixels > 127 THEN
              Plot textX, textY, 3
            ELSE
              Plot textX, textY, 0
            ENDIF
            pixels = pixels AND 127
            pixels = pixels << 1
            INC textX
          NEXT
          DEC textX, 8  
          INC textY
        NEXT
        DEC textY, 8
        INC textX, 8
      LOOP
    ENDSUB

This is crude string handling at the moment. Things I'm pondering;

Put an entire string into an array with one line. Maybe pass a string pointer to a dedicated SUB to do this?
    Point to arrays by name. eg pass string3 to printf
    Move bytes from one string array to another by pointing to the string array start location, the @ symbol in spin?

I think with those fundamentals I can copy over LEFT, MID, RIGHT, ASC, CHR, HEX, STR from existing z80 routines. Turn these into SUBs where you pass the name of a string, and the name of the destination string.

All good fun!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Post Edited (Dr_Acula) : 2/3/2010 12:54:17 PM GMT
    edited 2010-02-03 13:07
    Bean,
    Thanks for VGA Demo#4.
    Just for clarification, are we supposed to be seeing psychadelic camels' feet at the beginning?
    The reason for asking: you may remember that the very strange audio demo that I presumed was
    a matter of unusual musical taste was in fact a bug ...
    Regards,
    T o n y
    edited 2010-02-03 13:58
    Tony,
    · Are you using PropBASIC version 00.00.78 that I just posted ?
    · There was a bug in the SGN function (it was returning ABS) that is used in the line drawing routines.
    ·
    · Those should be moire patterns.

Bean

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

edited 2010-02-03 16:33
    Hi Bean,
    Yes I'm using PropBASIC#78.
    Mystery solved: one man's camels' feet is another man's Moir
    edited 2010-02-03 18:09
    Indeed, Tony, it does -- something of a "wardrobe malfunction."

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon McPhalen
    Hollywood, CA
  • mwalimumwalimu Posts: 44
    edited 2010-02-06 22:21
    I'm having a weird problem with running a program in a separate cog using v78. Since I'm new to PropBasic I tried to toggle two leds. So here is the code:

led1 pin 16 low
    led2 pin 17 high

START:
    do
    toggle led1
    toggle led2
    pause 500
    loop
    end

I ran this and SUCCESS! The leds toggle back and forth. I am a programming demigod.

Next I want to see if I can run this in a separate cog. so...

led1 pin 16 low
    led2 pin 17 high

blink TASK

START:
    cogstart blink
    do
    loop
    END

TASK blink
    do
    toggle led1
    toggle led2
    pause 500
    loop
    ENDTASK

Result led1 stays on and led2 blinks at about 1/2 second. If I reverse the initial states, led2 stays on and led1 blinks. My interpretation is that the cog runs one iteration of the loop and then crashes or resets. When I've run into these situations in SPIN usually increasing stack space for the cog fixes it, but that is not an option here. I've tried changing "cogstart" to "coginit" with a specified cog#, but with the same results.

I can't think of a more basic program than this, so I'm stumped.
  • mwalimumwalimu Posts: 44
    edited 2010-02-06 22:49
    Never mind. I just finished reading the rest of the thread and I found:

"IN and OUT again

To answer my own question I believe reason is that as outa registers are ORed together,when LED =0 ,ToggleLED task will work
    but with LED =1,ToggleLED will only generate a 1 as outa in Program start is permanently set to 1( 1 OR x = 1).

Regards
    Gerry"

Don't I feel like a schmuck mad.gif .... (in my defense, It IS a long thread...)
    edited 2010-02-06 22:55
    I just tried your code, on my demo board, and I get the same results. I put in a 'pause 500' between led1 and led2, in the task code, just to see what happens, I have led1 blink with a short pause, but led2 stays on all the time.

Ray
    edited 2010-02-07 00:29
    Once you take the time to learn the Propeller, Ray, the problem will be obvious: all cogs outputs are OR'd together. In the PIN definitions LED2 is defined as HIGH on reset -- what's happening is that the main cog is making LED turn on and masking the activity of the TASK. Set both pins to LOW or OUTPUT and the problem will go away.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon McPhalen
    Hollywood, CA
  • motionmanmotionman Posts: 2
    edited 2010-02-07 17:01
    Jon has asked us to post examples of what we are doing.
    Here is a two axis step and direction controller using the standard technique of adding a velocity value at fixed intervals to an accumulator .
    At halfway point the step output goes high and low again when the accumulator goes low.
    A spare cog acts as a pulse generator .This could serve as a master speed control for a multi-axis machine.
    Speeds have been tested accurate to 20 kHz

This code took less than a day to port across from code written in Proton for a (single axis ) Microchip controller.
  • BradCBradC Posts: 2,601
    edited 2010-02-08 00:38
    Bean has kindly allowed me to create native Mac / Linux binaries of his compiler. I have posted them here
    www.fnarfbargle.com/PropBasic

The major changes are :
    - The INVALID.TXT file is built in (no need to have it in the same directory as the binary - or anywhere at all for that matter)
    - The compiler accepts relative paths in addition to absolute paths for the source file

I have appended a "-bst" to the compiler name so there is no way the binaries can be confused with the originals. Please don't bug Bean about any non-code generator related issues, but feedback directly to me would be appreciated if anyone finds this stuff useful.

Unlike most *nix programs, the file to compile *MUST* be first on the command line. Subsequent command line switches are specified with / characters after the file name. Filenames with spaces must be properly escaped or quoted. (Quoted on Windows).

As I don't do basic, my test harness is limited to the programs included in the compiler demo directory. I have ensured they all compile properly, but I've not tried any programs that include anything other than binary files, so that behaviour is currently unknown.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Life may be "too short", but it's the longest thing we ever do.
    edited 2010-02-08 03:49
    Well, that was a good way to get things kicked off!

I very cleverly uploaded completely broken binaries this morning. They have been fixed / re-tested & re-uploaded.

Sorry about that.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2010-02-08 04:17
    @BradC - Thanks a lot. I unzipped it, removed the "-bst.osx" from the result (for less typing), and moved it to my /Applications folder. It works running it from the Terminal program. It's a beginning.
    edited 2010-02-08 04:53
    Mike Green said...
    @BradC - Thanks a lot. I unzipped it, removed the "-bst.osx" from the result (for less typing), and moved it to my /Applications folder. It works running it from the Terminal program. It's a beginning.

Cheers for the feedback Mike, we have to crawl before we can walk/run/fly/teleport [noparse]:)[/noparse]

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • Brian RileyBrian Riley Posts: 626
    edited 2010-02-08 17:28
    Mike Green said...

.... I went Mike Green one farther, renamed it 'pb' ... a LOT less typing! smile.gif

My Mac is a 2.66 GHZ Core 2 Duo with 4 GB RAM (Mar '09 vintage) running OSX 10.6.2 all up to date .... The PropBasic 0.79 binary is BLAZING fast! Way to go Bean and Brad

I made an editor path in BST to my 'pb' directory then loaded and compiled the resultant spin files just fine. It's not that big of a deal, flipping over to a terminal window for a few seconds and coming back to BST. I could live with that, if that's all it was, BUTTTTTTTTT, integrated into the BST GUI-IDE will be awesome!

cheers ... BBR

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    cheers ... brian riley, n1bq, underhill center, vermont
    The Shoppe at Wulfden
    www.wulfden.org/TheShoppe/
  • AJMAJM Posts: 171
    edited 2010-02-08 17:34
    BradC said...
    Bean has kindly allowed me to create native Mac / Linux binaries of his compiler. I have posted them here
    www.fnarfbargle.com/PropBasic

I will have to try this under Debian later on!

Thanks Bean / Brad!