Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Download PropBASIC here... 00.01.14 LAST VERSION FOR BST - Page 11 — Parallax Forums

Download PropBASIC here... 00.01.14 LAST VERSION FOR BST

Comments

• Tony B.Tony B. Posts: 356
    edited 2010-02-26 16:10
    Bean,

I am running on Windows XP fully updated and running BST 19.1 and PB 86.· I have had no problems with any updates till yesterday.· I have tried older files and they compile fine.· The only compiling problem I have encountered is when I create a NEW file (File>New>PropBASIC (T)emplate ) like LED Test.pbas.

Test.pbas was created using BST 19 PB 86 and it compiles fine on this same machine using BST 19.1 PB 86

I have a second machine running Vista 64-bit and have had no issues

Brad - I believe the "Error window closing without displaying the error" was connected to having too long of file name.· Shortened the file name and solved that problem.· Also, you may have the old version of LED Test.pbas.· I fixed the problem with Scale constant by changing the = to CON.· Don't know what I was thinking.

Believe me I'm puzzled.· Everyting has worked great.· Let me know if you need any more info.· Glad to help.

As for the robot, I'll update a simple schematic and get it posted.· My first goal is to get it to roam on the three pings like it is doing now using the code downloaded from the Stingray product page using PropBASIC.· My ultimate goal is to compete in RoboMagellan competitions, but one step at time.· I would like to try writing the code myself and then post it for evaluation and/or help.

Thanks for your willingness to help and thanks to all for the continued work on PropBASIC and BST.

Tony
  • EaglemanEagleman Posts: 31
    edited 2010-02-26 20:26
    Bean,

I feel really stupid reading all of the success everyone has had using PropBasic and I can't even seem to get started.· I am ashamedly asking for help.· I can't seem to detect my Prop using BST.· I am using a Proto USB board, but I've also tried with my Schmartboard modules and get the same results.· I keep getting the error box (see attachment).· I have the latest BST and PropBasic loaded (reloaded all yesterday) and the Tools/IDE Preferences/Propbasic/ Compiler loacation is set to:· C:\_Propeller\PropBasic\PropBasic-bst.exe which was located by browsing so there should be no spelling errors.·Everything works fine with the Parallax Prop Tool IDE where I can load programs and they run fine.· Any clues?

I'd really like to get started using PropBasic, but have wasted two months because I can't seem to get started.

Signed· .. Stupid (aka to hid my real identity!!)

Late addition:· I do get the "PropBasic Compiler Found.... OK" box when adding the compiler location.

Post Edited (Eagleman) : 2/26/2010 8:48:36 PM GMT
    285 x 166 - 5K
  • BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2010-02-26 21:13
    Eagleman,
    Not to pass the buck, but this looks a job for BradC....

What OS are you using ?

Bean

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Use BASIC on the Propeller with the speed of assembly language.

PropBASIC thread http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=867134

March 2010 Nuts and Volts article·http://www.parallax.com/Portals/0/Downloads/docs/cols/nv/prop/col/nvp5.pdf
    ·
    edited 2010-02-26 21:36
    Bean,

Should have included that I'm using Windows XP, fully updated.· Downloaded the .exe file.· I can open psb files, compile them, but just can't connect BST and the Prop.
    edited 2010-02-26 22:57
    Bean,

I have attached a robot diagram showing which pins are connected to the motors and the ping sensors. I am usings the Propeller Robot Controller Board. These are the pins connections I will be using as I write the PropBASIC code. If you need more information let me know.

Tony
  • BradCBradC Posts: 2,601
    edited 2010-02-26 23:12
    Eagleman said...
    Bean,

I feel really stupid reading all of the success everyone has had using PropBasic and I can't even seem to get started. I am ashamedly asking for help. I can't seem to detect my Prop using BST. I am using a Proto USB board, but I've also tried with my Schmartboard modules and get the same results. I keep getting the error box (see attachment). I have the latest BST and PropBasic loaded (reloaded all yesterday) and the Tools/IDE Preferences/Propbasic/ Compiler loacation is set to: C:\_Propeller\PropBasic\PropBasic-bst.exe which was located by browsing so there should be no spelling errors. Everything works fine with the Parallax Prop Tool IDE where I can load programs and they run fine. Any clues?

Do you get that error when you press F7 ?
    Can you open the IDE Preferences and go to Port Configuration and manually select the port your propeller is connected to? There is a "Test" button in that box to test the communications.

I've never seen that error before. You you have some odd communications device like an infrared or bluetooth serial port on that machine?

Is there anything else peculiar about your configuration that might help me narrow it down?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    You only ever need two tools in life. If it moves and it shouldn't use Duct Tape. If it does not move and it should use WD40.
    edited 2010-02-26 23:22
    Brad & Bean,

After many tries to figure what might be causing the Compile errors I have only been able to determine that is when I start a new document.

However I did notice that the errors generated are the same for each file. The error messages (49 in total listed in the error box) are as follows:

"file name (2,4)... (51,3)Error:Expected unique symbol name or #"

EDIT - I know this is going to sound crazy but if I name a code file with more than 5 characters I get the error. Under five, works fine using the exact same code.

Note that I'm indicating that the line number, postion info counts up from 2 to 51, each line generates an error, and switches to potion 3 at line 11. The template files have over 51 lines.

Hope this helps

Tony

Post Edited (T Bill) : 2/26/2010 11:42:33 PM GMT
    edited 2010-02-27 00:04
    T Bill said...
    Brad & Bean,

After many tries to figure what might be causing the Compile errors I have only been able to determine that is when I start a new document.

However I did notice that the errors generated are the same for each file. The error messages (49 in total listed in the error box) are as follows:

"file name (2,4)... (51,3)Error:Expected unique symbol name or #"

That error is the spin compiler complaining about something. Can you give me a key by key, step by step to reproduce the problem? Like I was a total idiot and you were sitting next to me saying "now press "T"".

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    You only ever need two tools in life. If it moves and it shouldn't use Duct Tape. If it does not move and it should use WD40.
    edited 2010-02-27 00:42
    Brad,

No Bluetooth or odd connections other than two Brother USB label printers and a Buffalo USB backup drive all running through a USB hub.·

Went to the Port Configuration screen and rescanned ports.· Tried "FIND PROP" and kept getting "NO Propeller Detected".· After playing around I found it works by highlighting the good port (com4) and then selecting test.· It then finds and acknowledges a Propeller.· Now F7 works too, which it didn't before.· I·never thought to configure a port any way but by using "FIND PROP".··Now I can compile and load programs to ram or eeprom and they work.· Even now, "FIND PROP" can't find a Propeller and then it won't load ram or eeprom until highlighting com4 and selecting test again.· Is that the way it's supposed to work?· Thanks a lot.· Now I can start converting my PicBasic programs to PropBasic.·
    edited 2010-02-27 01:36
    Brad,
    · I found one problem that maybe is what others are experiencing.
    · When you compile the funnyvoice.pbas file posted in the completed projects forum, it generates spin warnings. But if you click on the warnings BST tries to locate the line in the .pbas file instead of the .spin file.

· The warnings are caused by using negative numbers in WORD data. It works okay, but generates a warning in spin. I'll have to experiment to see if I can suppress the spin warnings.

· P.S. Brad, I just discovered that the parallax prop tool doesn't give any warnings. So the warnings seem to be caused by the BST spin compiler....

Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

March 2010 Nuts and Volts article·http://www.parallax.com/Portals/0/Downloads/docs/cols/nv/prop/col/nvp5.pdf

Post Edited (Bean) : 2/27/2010 1:44:18 AM GMT
    edited 2010-02-27 02:01
    Bean said...
    Brad,

I found one problem that maybe is what others are experiencing.

When you compile the funnyvoice.pbas file posted in the completed projects forum, it generates spin warnings. But if you click on the warnings BST tries to locate the line in the .pbas file instead of the .spin file.

The warnings are caused by using negative numbers in WORD data. It works okay, but generates a warning in spin. I'll have to experiment to see if I can suppress the spin warnings.

AhHAH! Right, so bst does not expect warnings from code generated from PropBASIC. That is an easy fix as I can just tell the compiler not to generate warning or information messages when compiling PropBASIC generated code.

I'll get that sorted.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • skynuggetskynugget Posts: 172
    edited 2010-02-28 15:21
    hey bean, is the regular propbasic.exe still available somewhere for v.86? i tried propbasic.com but its v .52.
    thanks!
    edited 2010-02-28 16:00
    skynugget,
    · You can use the bst version. Just change the filename.
    · I'm really only supporting BST at this point.

· I need to change the website to point to the forum thread for downloading. My bad...

Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

·
  • skynuggetskynugget Posts: 172
    edited 2010-02-28 16:14
    thanks bean! it took me forever to setup crimson editor for propbasic and I've grown to like it. i was worried the bst version was somehow different.
  • Gerry KeelyGerry Keely Posts: 75
    edited 2010-03-02 13:55
    Hi

I know some people are using PropBasic with the EditPlus editor and was wondering if there is an easy way to jump to the error line using the capture output feature?

regards

Gerry Keely
  • $WMc%$WMc% Posts: 1,884
    edited 2010-03-03 01:06
    Bean and Jon W.

I have waited a long time for this compiler. Like Mr. Jon Williams said in his Nuts&Volts Artc. "30 years of Basic in one form or another is a little hard to give up".
    I can't thank you enough for this Compiler.

I have run through the DEMO codes with ease. I have modified some of them with expected results.

However When I write My own code,It doesn't seem to work. I think this is due to IDE/COMPILER directives. I seem to have gotten lost in the IDE setup.

I don't know why BST is needed other than to show Prop. ASM., This is annoying to me. I ran PropBasic with good results before I ever downloaded BST.

I have looked though the Docs and I haven't found an IDE spec. I know You guys are busy, But a little help with the IDE would be great.

Heres A code i'm Trying to make work. Its for a Parallax serial-LCD

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    The Truth is out there············___$WMc%___···························· BoogerWoods, FL. USA

Post Edited ($WMc%) : 3/4/2010 12:33:03 AM GMT
    edited 2010-03-03 01:12
    $WMc% said...

I don't know why BST is needed other than to show Prop. ASM., This is annoying to me. I ran PropBasic with good results before I ever downloaded BST.

You don't need to use bst. The PropBASIC compiler works the same way it always did. It just now works for Mac and Linux users too.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2010-03-03 01:24
    BradC

Thanks for the info.

Now I see why the BST was brought up (NON Windows users). I think I have My IDE editor all wacked-out ,And I need to get it back to normal.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    The Truth is out there············___$WMc%___···························· BoogerWoods, FL. USA
    edited 2010-03-03 01:37
    $WMc% said...

Now I see why the BST was brought up (NON Windows users).

Not so much the cross platform aspect (although personally I think that is *very* important). PropBASIC integration in bst includes error / warning list, project management, multiple propeller management, ability to see a disassembly listing of the generated binary, an in-built debug terminal and a few other nice bits. If you already have an IDE setup that works for you, then go with that.

I have some local changes to the PropBASIC source that enables me to compile it for all the platforms, so it's just easier for Bean to send me his source updates and I get that integrated and push a build out. The binaries may have -bst after them, but they function the same as Bean's original binaries (except the INVALID.TXT file is now built in). You do need the -bst binaries for them to work with bst though as there are some private interface changes in there.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2010-03-03 02:48
    Brad C said...
    AhHAH! Right, so bst does not expect warnings from code generated from PropBASIC. That is an easy fix as I can just tell the compiler not to generate warning or information messages when compiling PropBASIC generated code.

I'll get that sorted.
    Brad,

Have you had time to work on this?

Do you still need me to do the step by step as mentioned above?· I tried PB 87 and still got the errors.· Just a reminder when I click on the errors it takes me to the spin file that pops up in a new tab and highligts comment sectons.

Sorry for the delay in responding,
    Tony
    edited 2010-03-03 07:12
    Tony B. said...

Do you still need me to do the step by step as mentioned above? I tried PB 87 and still got the errors. Just a reminder when I click on the errors it takes me to the spin file that pops up in a new tab and highligts comment sectons.

That sounds quite peculiar. You can test the behaviour of the changes I've made here by going to Tools -> Compiler Preferences -> Options and making sure "Generate Compiler Warning" and "Generate Compiler Information" messages are unchecked.

If you still get the problem then yes, I need some more information. If it happens all the time for you, maybe just attach the file that is causing you grief so I can reproduce it locally.

I've made some changes locally, but nothing that would not be mitigated by having those boxes unchecked.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2010-03-04 01:02
    BradC

I Stand corrected. Thank You.

What is the correct IDE setup?
    I would like to stay on the same page as Bean, J.Williams, and BradC as far as complier/IDE goes?
    I like PropBasic, And I don't want to miss anything!

Thanks in advance for any help!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2010-03-04 03:58
    $WMc% said...
    BradC

I Stand corrected. Thank You.

What is the correct IDE setup?
    I would like to stay on the same page as Bean, J.Williams, and BradC as far as complier/IDE goes?
    I like PropBasic, And I don't want to miss anything!

Thanks in advance for any help!

This is a bit of a braindump, but I think I've covered most of the essential steps.

Install bst somewhere. (download and unzip - no installation required)
    Install PropBasic-bst somewhere (download and unzip - no installation required)
    Fire up bst and go to Tools->IDE Preferences->PropBasic. Click Browse and point it at the PropBasic-bst.exe file. bst should pop up a little box and tell you it has found PropBasic and the version of the PropBasic compiler.

The serial port selection/detection for your propeller is a bit spotty for windows at the moment. The guaranteed way is to go to Tools->IDE Preferences->IDE Preferences->Configure Ports.

If you click "Find Prop" it should scan all your ports and tell you which port it sees a prop connected to. If that fails (and it has on someones windows machine for some reason) you can click each port seperately and click the "Test" button. When you find the prop, check that the port is listed in the box at the bottom of the dialog and close it.

bst should now be able to communicate with your prop. You can test this with F7.

Normally when you hit F7->F11 bst will try and communicate with the propeller using the last known good port. If that fails it will pop up a box asking to to either ignore the error, or find the prop. If you click find the prop you will get the port config box back again and you can select the propeller as normal. For some reason, on some Windows machines (in the current build) this is not sticking, thus having to do it through IDE Preferences. I'm working on it, but I don't use windows and I only have periodic access to a windows machine to test with. It'll get fixed, it's juts a matter of when.

Mac and Linux users should not see this problem.

You can add working directories for the directory tree by going to Tools->IDE Preferences->Editor Paths->Add
    You can add spin library search paths by going to Tools->Compiler Preferences->Search Paths. A good default for this is your Propeller Tool library directory.

You can open existing .pbas projects (use the filter selector at the bottom left of the screen) or you can create a new project (blank or template) by using File->New.

You should be able to develop PropBASIC applications the same as normal spin applications. There is an additional menu entry in the Compile menu for Basic applications that allows you to compile your PropBASIC application to source spin files and open them in new editor tabs. Normally you don't see this stuff as it all happens in the background.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • logan996logan996 Posts: 281
    edited 2010-03-04 20:45
    So what does thos program do bean?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "When the government is afraid of the people there is liberty, when the people are afraid of the government, there is tryanny"

· Thomas Jefferson
    ·
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2010-03-04 20:53
    @logan996 - Which program? Do you mean BST or PropBasic or what? Have you read the rest of this thread? It will answer your question if it's about PropBasic (Bean's program). Are you familiar at all with SX/B because PropBasic is based on SX/B which is a Basic to SX assembly compiler?
    edited 2010-03-06 01:04
    BradC

Thanks, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2010-03-09 00:00
    I'd like to encourage others to try ProbBASIC. I have found it quite a bit easier to transition from the BS2 to the Propeller and since it compiles into PSAM it runs fast and I am learning PSAM at the same time. Give it a try!

Thanks to Bean for PropBASIC, JonnyMac for the Syntax Manual (a work in progress) and Brad C. for the BST Editor you have really helped me move forward in my robotic projects.

I introduced a friend to PropBASIC last week and he is really excited by it. We are going to work together in PropBASIC later this week.

Currently I'm trying to learn the counters on the Propeller and how to program them in PropBASIC so I can just sent a value between -100 0 100 and make the motors spin in reverse or forward. I'm working with a stingray setup on my homemade chassis. http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=876789

Any help to get me going would be great. I have read chapter 7 of the PE Kit, APPnote 001, and studied many of the Propeller objects, but I'm still missing that one piece of info to make the light come on. I struggle with the relationship between frqa and phsa in NCO mode and how to program them to run the H-bridges on the Propeller robot control board. Have made the motors run and run well using others code, but struggle to understand the counters and how they work so I can write my own code.

Anyway love working with PropBASIC and enjoying every step of success.

Tony
    edited 2010-03-09 02:42
    Tony,
    · First you'll want to use DUTY mode (48 in PropBASIC).
    · You'll set the Apin to the pin you want to drive, and set the frqa value to set the motor speed you want (don't bother with phsa).
    · If you set frqa to zero, you'll get no pulses, if you set it to 2^32-1 (4294967295), you'll get maximum speed.

· So if you want maximum to be 100 do something like

' value = 0 thru 100
    value = value * 42_949_672
    COUNTERA 48, 25, 0, value

I hope this helps,

· Sorry I don't know what I was thinking...· See post below for the REAL answer.

Bean

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Post Edited (Bean) : 3/9/2010 12:25:57 PM GMT
    edited 2010-03-09 03:59
    Bean,

I used what you showed in your post and I am able to get get the motor to move. I have no variable speed control though. If I enter an amount in value from 78-100 the motor runs at full speed. Anything below that the motor does not run.

What you have showed is what I want to do. I want to be able to change the value of "value" in the main program running in one cog and have the motor control running in another cog set motor speed forward, reverse or stop based on the value of "value". But also need the forward anc reverse speeds to be variable.

Thanks
    Tony
  • Christof Eb.Christof Eb. Posts: 1,107
    edited 2010-03-09 11:52
    Hi Tony,
    is this a question of the speed of your driver circuit, which cannot follow the output frequency?
    You could use PLLX2 instead of PLLX16 and check, if the limit 78 changes. Of course this is not the solution but perhaps helpful to get the right direction. Yo might need a slower PWM?
    Good luck, Christof