Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
SX End of Life (EOL) Announcement - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

SX End of Life (EOL) Announcement

Comments

• RickBRickB Posts: 395
    edited 2009-08-03 21:37
    Will SX/B V2 advance from beta to a full release version? How about Jons' and Gunthers efforts?
  • JonnyMacJonnyMac Posts: 8,924
    edited 2009-08-03 21:44
    I can only speak for myself, but I have been working quietly as the public beta helped wring out a few pesky annoyances and users asked for updates which Bean very generously accommodated.
  • RobotWorkshopRobotWorkshop Posts: 2,307
    edited 2009-08-03 21:57
    What about the latest book Practical SX/B. Is that still going to come out?
  • Timothy D. SwieterTimothy D. Swieter Posts: 1,613
    edited 2009-08-03 23:16
    Ken - you seem to mention that you might not be able to reach all your customers that use SX. Is it possible to mine your sales data and anyone who bought some quantity of SXs to get a a phone call or e-mail about the EOL? I imagine this thought has been discussed at Parallax, just your words made it sound like there are difficulities in this.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Timothy D. Swieter, E.I.
    www.brilldea.com - Prop Blade, LED Painter, RGB LEDs, 3.0" LCD Composite video display, eProto for SunSPOT
    www.tdswieter.com
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
    edited 2009-08-03 23:36
    Hey Tim - yes, we've extracted all of our sales data for 100+ unit orders and e-mailed the notice to each customer. The difficulty that I mentioned comes from distribution. Many SX chips are sold through our distributors in different corners of the world. We don't have direct contact with their customers, so we count on the distributor to reach each of these customers. We have quite a bit of communication ahead of us in the next month.

Ken Gracey
    Parallax Inc.
    edited 2009-08-03 23:37
    Ah yes - distribution. That makes sense. Thank you Ken.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Timothy D. Swieter, E.I.
    www.brilldea.com - Prop Blade, LED Painter, RGB LEDs, 3.0" LCD Composite video display, eProto for SunSPOT
    www.tdswieter.com
  • ProfessorwizProfessorwiz Posts: 153
    edited 2009-08-04 00:03
    I too would like to know about the practical SX/B book, or at least more of it if it's availible.
    edited 2009-08-04 01:42
    There's a lot more done but it won't be released until I'm finished with it. As I stated above, now the SX/B 2.00 is finally settled (I'm not complaining, it's a better product now that it's been in public beta).
  • MicrocontrolledMicrocontrolled Posts: 2,461
    edited 2009-08-04 19:21
    I don't think that anyone started using Parallax just for the SX, but just got it because Parallax made all the learning utensils for it.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Toys are microcontroled.
    Robots are microcontroled.
    I am microcontroled.

If it's not Parallax then don't even bother. :-)
    ·
    I have changed my avatar so that I will no longer be confused with others who use genaric avatars.

Mini-Din/PS2 connectors are for sale! 5 for $1! PM me if you wish to make an order.
    Cheap·shipping unless specified!··········150 left!!··

• Shawn LoweShawn Lowe Posts: 635
    edited 2009-08-04 19:31
    I personally moved to the SX because it is a little more complex than a Stamp (and cheaper too!). As I am trying to get a B.S. in electrical engineering, I felt this would be a better challenge for me. Then I discovered how powerful they were!!! It's sad to see them go as they are a rockin microprocessor. Looks like I'll have to start learning Spin! (Already have thanks to Jonnymac and his articles in N&V!)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Shawn Lowe

When all else fails.....procrastinate!
  • ProfessorwizProfessorwiz Posts: 153
    edited 2009-08-04 20:24
    I started using Parallax because of the SX. I started on the Basic stamp as a college course but couldn't justify the pricing of the chips. I was going to go Microchip, but then I saw the SX as good solution. I'm leaning on selling off my SX stuff and switching to Microchip and the Pic Basic. Of course because as a hobbiest the amount I spend on chips isn't a huge chunk of Parallaxes sales.

Russ
  • CastrovinciCastrovinci Posts: 26
    edited 2009-08-05 23:29
    I think its a sad day that this will be the EOL.· I really liked this chip because of its capibility's and the PRICE.· I had made a few commercial things (mostly coin Op items)·and the chip being so cheap really helped.· I couldnt afford to use the BS2 and other chips, so this is going to be rough.· I liked how small this chip was as well, it could fit in very small boxes, not sure how the prop size is but I would imagine its much bigger.· I have to be honest (sadly) but I am going to have to look into the pic at this point.· Its especially hard because everyone in the forumns was pretty helpful and hopefully will still support questions, as I have·LOTS OF THEM [noparse]:)[/noparse].
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-08-05 23:44
    Do look at the Propeller. While it's not as cheap as the SX, the Propeller is only $8 in single lots and only needs a $1.50 EEPROM and <$1 crystal plus a resistor and a couple of bypass capacitors.
    edited 2009-08-05 23:48
    It would be somewhat silly to think you can get PIC questions answered in a Parallax forum -- there's plenty of other sources for that stuff. As Mike suggests, the price of the Propeller has come down enough to make it viable in many applications.
    edited 2009-08-06 03:18
    For hobby duties, the price isn't a problem at all. The propeller is a bit more.....advanced. At least from my POV.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Shawn Lowe

edited 2009-08-06 08:26
    The Propeller can do a lot more advanced things, yes, but that doesn't mean it is difficult to use or get started with. There are excellent labs and documentation and cheap tools to get started with the propeller. The overall Propeller footprint can be quite small, except for the through-hole device.

There isn't a need to fear the Propeller, come on over to the forum portion dedicated to the Prop and you will find those who are super advanced with the Prop and you will find plenty of people that are exploring microcontrollers for the first time.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Timothy D. Swieter, E.I.
    www.tdswieter.com
  • BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2009-08-06 11:11
    There are three parameters that the SX beats the Propeller.

Size
    Cost
    Start-up Time

And for many products these parameters are pretty high up on the requirement list.

Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Does that byte of memory hold "A", 65, $41 or %01000001 ?
    Yes it does...

·
  • John R.John R. Posts: 1,376
    edited 2009-08-06 11:48
    I'm not an expert by any means, but to clarify Bean's "Start-up Time", he means the time the chip takes from power on to the time it's up and running.

He does not mean "start up time" in the sense of from time to purchase to time to deploy. (or maybe he means both...)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    John R.
    Click here to see my Nomad Build Log
  • LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
    edited 2009-08-06 14:09
    The 16-bit PICs and dsPICs are worth looking at - up to 40 MIPS, a very nice architecture and peripherals, and excellent support from Microchip. They are very cheap and some are available in 18-pin DIL. Microchip is working on 60 MIPS versions.

Leon

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Amateur radio callsign: G1HSM
    Suzuki SV1000S motorcycle

Post Edited (Leon) : 8/6/2009 2:22:06 PM GMT
    edited 2009-08-06 18:33
    Parallax currently has 13,400 sx28 (dip)chips in stock. Before the lifetime buy they are going to make. Sounds to me like we wont have to worry for, ohh I don't know, 5-10 years?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Shawn Lowe

• Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
    edited 2009-08-06 18:48
    Shawn,

I tried to explain this in the EOL notice, but there are always more parts available than you see on our web site. At present we have about this many:

Chip Quantity on Hand (QOH)
    SX48BD-G 134,987
    SX28AC/SS-G 134,467
    SX20AC/SS-G 41,280
    SX28AC/DP-G 19,311
    Total 330,045

We will be adding to this quantity a very significant amount when we order more wafers in September.

Chips in Parallax live in different places: under test, in our China factory, or in one of our three warehouses in Rocklin. The web site only shows the quantity available in what we call "Warehouse A" - the place from which our sales staff most commonly fill orders. The other storage locations allow us to separate chips that are in different stages of the pipeline or have purposes other than retail direct sale off of our web site (i.e., booked orders, for example).

How long these will last? Nobody knows!

Ken Gracey
    Parallax Inc.

Post Edited (Ken Gracey (Parallax)) : 8/6/2009 6:58:28 PM GMT
  • StarManStarMan Posts: 306
    edited 2009-08-07 00:16
    One more thing to add to Bean's list:· Code protection.

As a manufacturer, I like to have as many barriers to competitors as I can get.

Chris I.
  • edited 2009-08-08 15:40
    I am new and I would just like a quick summary of the different SX chips so I would know which ones to get involved with.
    edited 2009-08-08 16:48
    I would say the SX28 dip chip would be what to start with. The 48's have some timers that the 28 lacks, but in general the 28 will do 95% of what the 48's will (less I/O pins).

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Shawn Lowe

• VelocitVelocit Posts: 119
    edited 2009-08-08 19:55
    StarMan said...
    One more thing to add to Bean's list: Code protection.

As a manufacturer, I like to have as many barriers to competitors as I can get.

Chris I.

What do you mean? The SX has a code protection fuse that can be enabled through SX/B. Just type "PROTECT" in the DEVICE directive. Most of my projects have DEVICE directives that looks like this:

DEVICE          SX20, OSC4MHZ, TURBO, STACKX, OPTIONX, PROTECT

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    -Paul
    edited 2009-08-09 00:08
    I think Chris was comparing the SX to the Prop. The Prop doesn't have such protection device and Chris was saying he liked that SX does.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Timothy D. Swieter, E.I.
    www.tdswieter.com
  • VelocitVelocit Posts: 119
    edited 2009-08-09 05:18
    Timothy D. Swieter said...
    I think Chris was comparing the SX to the Prop. The Prop doesn't have such protection device and Chris was saying he liked that SX does.

Oh, I see. There's too much going on in this thread!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    -Paul
  • StarManStarMan Posts: 306
    edited 2009-08-09 15:31
    Yes.· Tim is correct.· Thanks for clarifying.

Chris I.
  • MicrocontrolledMicrocontrolled Posts: 2,461
    edited 2009-08-09 18:02
    The propellers code can be copyed right off the external EEPROM. That is the lack in code protection. mctrivia's PropMods previeouly had code protection, I don't know if they still do or not.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Just call me micro.

If it's not Parallax then don't even bother.
    ·
    I have changed my avatar so that I will no longer be confused with others who use genaric avatars.

Mini-Din/PS2 connectors are for sale! 5 for $1! PM me if you wish to make an order.
    Cheap·shipping unless specified!··········150 left!!··

• RossRoss Posts: 15
    edited 2009-08-12 02:04
    Good grief... After being a BASIC Stamp fan since the mid '90s, I finally decided to upgrade to something more capable. I placed my first order for SX stuff on 7/29/09. Two days later, the EOL announcement. Great timing, eh?

>:-(

Ross