Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
World's 1st 3-Dimensional Stamp Computer (3DSC). Upgrade: 4D Morphing Computer - Page 4 — Parallax Forums

World's 1st 3-Dimensional Stamp Computer (3DSC). Upgrade: 4D Morphing Computer

Comments

• HumanoidoHumanoido Posts: 5,770
    edited 2010-02-18 22:07
    3DSC Application Note 021910
    Defining Two Spatial Motivators Arcing Motions
    Motions programmed for the 3DSC undergo the scribing of a circular arc
    in space and time. With each moveable core, the radius of the arc can
    be modified by varying the position of the LED, speaker, or other source
    element as a distance from the “pivotal point.” The Pivotal Point is where
    the servo connects to the core board. The distance or circumference of
    the arc depends on the calibrated characteristics of each servo. The angle
    that each servo can achieve may slightly vary.

According to Geometry, the arc length for a sector of a circle is given
    by the arc length formula:

S = r θ

S represents the arc length
    r represents the radius of the circle
    θ represents the angle in radians made by the arc at the centre of the circle.

arc-length.gif

In some cases it may be helpful to define the inscribed chord rather than
    the arc, using a Trigonometric function.

Cos θ = AC / 2r

where AC represents the distance of the chord, r is the radius, and
    θ is the subtended angle.

humanoido

attachment.php?attachmentid=67903
    The servo horn is mounted with two screws located
    near the battery holder stems. Half way in between
    the screws is the pivotal point.

Post Edited (humanoido) : 2/18/2010 10:29:25 PM GMT
    318 x 372 - 25K
  • TurbineNutTurbineNut Posts: 4
    edited 2010-02-18 22:30
    Please do not confuse sarcasm for lack of understanding, I am quite capable however with the concepts you are trying to usher in which can be expressed or experienced
    by three stamps on a pole, they seem to lack the speed of movement and relative motion required for these claims. Can relative movement be detected at the level
    of these stamps? Yes but the minute differences that exist at your current level are beyond the capability of the processors. True computations and relative experience
    would shift between the 3 relative stamps but I have not seen the component that would accelerate them to near light speed where these "relative" differences could
    be detected. Right now you seem to have a system that can do calculations of experience based on differential motion and detection of differences of experience between
    the relative position of the processors or actually the sensors. This has nothing to do really with Relativity as expressed in Einsteins equations. At anything except approaching
    light speed where detection of relative difference can be discerned, right now it does not matter weather you accelerate the processor or the sensor. At near light speeds it would.
    Do the differences occur at slower speeds? yes but I would challenge you to detect the change.
    edited 2010-02-18 23:44
    TurbineNut said...
    ...I have not seen the component that would accelerate them to near light speed where these "relative" differences could be detected.

TurbineNut: There is no claim of this project moving at light speed.

The speed is well within the limits of a common Parallax servo and
    Newtonian mechanics.

humanoido
    edited 2010-02-19 01:00
    I never said you claimed it did I said it would need to........... Please read MY post closer and try to "understand"..
    But the more I read this thread and now this response, the more I feel it is just a big joke on us to see how people would react. I that
    case, well played.
    edited 2010-02-19 08:01
    TurbineNuts said...
    ...the more I feel it is just a big joke ...
    TurbineNuts:

There is only one joker that I can see.

Post Edited (humanoido) : 2/19/2010 8:19:02 AM GMT
  • Let's Go!Let's Go! Posts: 124
    edited 2010-02-19 16:10
    humanoido, i think you are on to something. with all this negative talk, i think you have a winner. look back in history and this is what all the winning innovations·must put up with. keep up the good work!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    The smarter I get, the more I understand I don't know!
  • Chip CoxChip Cox Posts: 73
    edited 2010-02-19 17:17
    Well I will say one thing about this thread, it was a wonderful way to spend 2 hours this morning at work without actually working. I hope my boss isn't reading this. I do have a couple of questions though. As your processors revolve around the pole, how do you keep the wires from getting tangled up?? Do the plates all revolve in the same direction or do some of them go clockwise and others counterclockwise? Does this really represent 3 dimensions without one rotating sideways these seem to represent 3 planes. But maybe if you consider them membranes and let them touch you will really be onto something <grin> ( sorry about that one ). Now how about a 4th dimension by putting a series of these on a treadmill that could represent time. As one goes off the back another comes on from the front taking the next time sample. But still you would need another processor to form a point of reference maybe. It would have to be positional so you could be relate time to either future, present or past and be looking at time from any of those perspectives rather than just our limited view here.
    I know I may have been a bit tongue in cheek here, and I apologize. I do think your creation has merit from the perspective of a teaching aid. Your examples are way over my head but I enjoyed reading about them.
    edited 2010-02-19 18:52
    Chip Cox said...
    Well I will say one thing about this thread, it was a wonderful way to spend 2 hours this morning at work without actually working. I hope my boss isn't reading this.

Congrats on reading the entire thread!

I do have a couple of questions though. As your processors revolve around the pole, how do you keep the wires from getting tangled up??

The processors revolve around the servo horn, not the pole. The green wires are very long and permit the full range of motion provided by two servos that move in either direction. These are not continuous rotation servos - they do an arc as you are probably familiar with it, so the wires never tangle.

Do the plates all revolve in the same direction or do some of them go clockwise and others counterclockwise?

The boards can be programmed in four ways. The choices are both boards in the same direction( +X and +X or -X and -X), or two choices of boards moving opposite (+X AND -X OR -X AND +X.

Does this really represent 3 dimensions without one rotating sideways these seem to represent 3 planes.

Yes, it represents three planes and three dimensions of XYZ. The boards move in the X directions, are positioned static in the Y direction not moving up and down. The bottom core is stationary and relative to the other two cores. Sensors are easily mounted along the Z axis.

But maybe if you consider them membranes and let them touch you will really be onto something <grin> ( sorry about that one ).

Exactly my thoughts. We could plug it into other people that just don't understand, then we can turn up the brightness. LOL!!!

Now how about a 4th dimension by putting a series of these on a treadmill that could represent time. As one goes off the back another comes on from the front taking the next time sample. But still you would need another processor to form a point of reference maybe. It would have to be positional so you could be relate time to either future, present or past and be looking at time from any of those perspectives rather than just our limited view here.

It sounds like you've thought of your own application for time as a fourth dimension. It would be useful to use the formula: rate x time = distance. With two cores moving, define the path taken over relative distance traveled using calculus.

I know I may have been a bit tongue in cheek here, and I apologize. I do think your creation has merit from the perspective of a teaching aid. Your examples are way over my head but I enjoyed reading about them.

I think you understand more than you admit.

humanoido
    edited 2010-02-19 19:02
    @Let's Go!

It looks like that's you and your jet aircraft in your avatar!
    I wonder if you built it? I did some work on ultralights
    a number of years ago and appreciate aviation. Thanks.

humanoido
    edited 2010-02-19 22:04
    humanoido said...
    Exactly my thoughts. We could plug it into other people that just don't understand, then we can turn up the brightness. LOL!!!
    Hey, I'm all for shock treatments!!!· Gave myself one the other night trying to move a RC-4 ( 120v relay board ) with it turned on.· Not the best idea.·
    Keep up the good work.· It's threads like this one that I like.· The discussion, especially some of the more far out joking discussion gets you thinking because it's only just a little outside what is doable in reality today.· That's how progress is made.· Not from just doing what has already been done.·
    I think you do need to work on the time aspect and on movement along a z access.· The tricky part would be allowing the boards / dimensions to pass each other and change positions.· Think of it this way, if you toss a box in the air does the length, height and width change as it tumbles or do they remain same and the dimensions move???· Anyway something to think about...· Oh and back to the discussion here, you could replace the token ring wires using 3 pairs of RF transmitter/receiver pairs.· Might let you use full rotation survo's.
  • DanSDanS Posts: 3
    edited 2010-02-20 07:57
    Now, all you have to do is create some serial datalinks between each BS and tell it what to say, Then you'll have a three cell neural-network (a three cell pico-brain)
    edited 2010-02-20 11:42
    yes, but it will be a 3 cell neural network that can re-configure itself spacially!!! That way it can include computations on future observations too <grin>.
    edited 2010-02-21 07:07
    DanS said...
    Now, all you have to do is create some serial datalinks between each BS
    and tell it what to say, Then you'll have a three cell neural-network (a three cell pico-brain)
    DanS: Remarkable idea! I suppose we have that now. Let's take a look at how we can
    further expand on this idea.

All three BASIC Stamps are networked serially. D1 can talk to D2 and D3, D2
    can talk to D1 and D3, and D3 can talk to D1 and D2.

Since the human brain has 10^11 neurons and each is connected to 10^4 others
    on the average, the base being the cell - it (the cell) would lend itself more readily to
    a simulation model.

Dendrites provide input to the cells (this can be represented by the PBASIC program).
    Axons send the signals (these can be represented by serial wires). The synapse can
    transmit the signal as same or altered and we can represent this with activity stored
    in the EEPROM.

humanoido

Post Edited (humanoido) : 2/21/2010 7:48:48 AM GMT
    edited 2010-02-21 07:41
    Chip Cox said...
    yes, but it will be a 3 cell neural network that can re-configure itself spacially!!! That way it can include computations on future observations too <grin>.
    Chip: Another excellent idea! Each cell has the power of observation. When thinking in terms of observation based on moving positions, a new field is opened up. For example, a neuron in the brain requires a single impulse to a neuromuscular junction to fire for the contraction of the postsynaptic muscle cell. Muscle cells move, hence the simulation potential. Some robots have the potential to be controlled through neural net cell automation.

ieeexplore.ieee.org/Xplore/login.jsp?url=http%3A%2F%2Fieeexplore.ieee.org%2Fiel5%2F6417%2F17177%2F00793049.pdf%3Farnumber%3D793049&authDecision=-203

Speaking on the power of observation, i.e. by adding "observation" to the 3DSC, we can generate some classroom activities. For example, the study of perceptive parallax from two observation points on a single source. You would need two of the observation apparatus, such as two heat sensors. This could become a stereoscopic 3DSC algorithm for robot vision.

Another simulation could involve two light point sources such as LEDs that "represent" stars and the distance to the LEDs represents a vastly scaled down distance to the stars. Also a consideration, the "blinking" of left channel to right channel can detect object motion. This is how unidentified objects (asteroids, comets, etc.) are often found on astrometric plates - another excellent classroom demonstration...

Also based on the observation position is an effect known as interferometry. According to Wikipedia, "Interferometry is the technique of diagnosing the properties of two or more waves by studying the pattern of interference created by their superposition. The instrument used to interfere the waves together is called an interferometer. Interferometry is an important investigative technique in the fields of astronomy, fiber optics, engineering metrology, optical metrology, oceanography, seismology, quantum mechanics, nuclear and particle physics, plasma physics, and remote sensing."

There must be numerous other "observation" applications to think about. You can see the learning and teaching potential of the 3DSC.

humanoido

Post Edited (humanoido) : 2/21/2010 4:26:35 PM GMT
    edited 2010-02-21 16:37
    All this talk of simulations and nerual networks sends me back to my days playing with lisp and AI. It seemed we always ran into the same problem, Learning. If intelligence is really just a well functining information storage and retrieval mechenism, then computers should be able to do that fine. The problem is that there also has to be some form of built in observation capability that tells the computer when the combination of sensor/node inputs produced the correct output. And how does the computer know what the correct output is?? Take for example a child probably still in the womb. He/she is firing off neurons until something happens, ( a thumb finds its way into it's mouth ). This creates a new sensor input that the child somehow decides is pleasant. Now he/she has something to use for observation. The goal now is to learn how to re-create getting the thumb back into the mouth. We have to find a way of taking the computer back to that level of learning. And somehow determine that getting the thumb into the mouth is the correct response that gets a reward. How do you reward a computer now becomes the question. If we assign values to a particular response, we are just creating an expert system that mimics what we think. This limits the computers ability to learn because we are just teaching it what we already know so it will reach the same conclusions we do. How do we know that the child back in the womb didn't really like sticking his finger up his nose more than sucking on his thumb? Sorry for the left turn here, to much tequila last night I guess.
    edited 2010-02-22 02:49
    Chip Cox said...
    All this talk of simulations and nerual networks sends me back to my days playing with lisp and AI.
    And throughout all those decades we are still trying to create machines that pass the Turing Test.

www.psych.utoronto.ca/users/reingold/courses/ai/turing.html

The question of the evolution of artificial life is not one of will it happen, but rather when. I have always said, that while SETI has its telescopes trained on the stars searching for extraterrestrial intelligence, it is man that is likely to discover intelligent life first by creating it.

humanoido

Post Edited (humanoido) : 2/22/2010 2:54:13 AM GMT
  • MacoreMacore Posts: 41
    edited 2010-02-22 04:23
    I am not a Astrophysicist by any means, I am just a humble hobbyist and programmer.
    I have a couple observations on this project though:

1) It is really pretty, so I guess it is computer art.
    2) I have no idea what it actually does cept spin around some DX boards on a stick. All those projects ideas/programs seem to be a set of the biggest scientific words that can be put together and sound meaningful which is itself a talent I guess. Might be cool for students taking Astrophysics in college but no real use to the average hobbyist.
    3) Seems to me ALL computers are 3D, they have height, width and depth. Would have to be infinitely flat in one direction to be a 2D computer.
    4) Suggestion: you have sold yourself short of this, actually you have created a 4D computer. Its has the requisite 3 normal spatial dimensions and if you look at it over Time, also considered a dimension, you will find that it actually exists there too. In fact it morphs by changing its Physical shape, its Optical signature and its Sound waveform.

So my hats off to you for your fantastically artful 4D Morphing computer, surely a worlds first by any standard!

I also thank everybody for their semi-serious attempts at both understanding/complementing and bashing this project, I haven't had such a good laugh in ages. Oh and BTW good use of Parallax parts too always a plus for a Project of the Week. Keep up the good work, very creative...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Often the joy is not so much in the having, its in the building...

Post Edited (Macore) : 2/22/2010 4:29:08 AM GMT
    edited 2010-02-22 09:26
    Macore: Your observations are very interesting and choice of a new name that is more defining, 4D Morphing Computer, is a good one.

When the project was first completed, it had no “morphing” capability and was viewed as a 1-foot high 3D structure that could support platform experiments for simulations. Additional elements added more dimensions (motion, light, heat, sound, time, &#8230[noparse];)[/noparse] so maybe even more than 4D in some examples.

Later references to “moving computer cores” were made. Some have stated that it qualifies as computer art – someone will need to develop an app for this as well. The “larger” defining vocabulary that does not fit common hobbyists (we need a list?) are intended for schools and classrooms – instructors and students working with math, physics, astrophysics, thermodynamics, etc. at high school, undergraduate, and graduate university levels.

There should be app projects for all levels. If you think about it, morphing dimensions can be highly interesting and useful. If not, you could always put the new sound detector on it and drive your guests crazy as it dance moves to music while setting on the display table. One can imagine sheer perplexing anticipation of watching those platforms spasmodically jittering about to the TANGO (or a good WALTZ), with deliberate inching slowness or startling ramping speed… an exercise in programming servos, the sound sensor...and...dance! the 9th dimension? [noparse]:)[/noparse]

humanoido
  • AmaralAmaral Posts: 176
    edited 2010-02-22 14:06
    In my opinion, the only one who looses somenthing on this thread was PARALLAX by setting it as a Project of the week, it just not destroyed the reputation of a very reliable source of ready and good information but it also desrespect all the anteriors projects on the list of Project of the week. It´s a pitty but from now on you can expect anything to be a project of the week just like you can expect anything from a babys butt.

About the project, I´m missing the 3D part here. Thouse movements are COPLANAR movements .. they are in the same PLANE.
    Please enlight my miserable mind about that.

and If you want to know about any project of mine, I had a Boe-Bot that could stay on air, yeah, you drop if from an apartment windows and it stays in the air, moving vertically quite fast ! Amazing stuff
    edited 2010-02-22 15:38
    Amaral said...
    It´s a pitty but from now on you can expect anything to be a project of the week just like you can expect anything from a babys butt.
    LOL!! You are talking about yourself.

Post Edited (humanoido) : 2/22/2010 3:45:59 PM GMT
    edited 2010-02-22 16:14
    Amaral said...
    I´m missing the 3D part here. Thouse movements are COPLANAR movements .. they are in the same PLANE. Please enlight my miserable mind about that.
    It is not difficult to see the 3D aspect. There are three boards (cores). Each core is mounted at a different Y position. You may call this Y-axis "the height" if you wish to simplify the analogy. Each core rotates about an axis nearly 180 degrees. This is the X-axis in the +/- directions. Perhaps you want to call this length. From high school geometry, if you vary the x and y and then bring an axis out of the page (so to speak), you have the Z-axis. Call this the depth. It’s a very simple visual to see how you can move and position the cores, and their sensors, to represent points within XYZ. It is also simple to see that the analogy (length x height x depth) is three dimensional.

But now, modification creates additional dimensions. As the project has evolved with motion added, along with time, light, sound, heat and other physical parameters, there is some discussion about calling it a morphing computer because it can demonstrate more than three dimensions.

As far as your miserable mind is concerned, we suggest listening to your favorite music, try to get out in the sunshine and fresh air, and exercise to blow off some steam. It will help your focus, concentration, and character.

humanoido

Post Edited (humanoido) : 2/22/2010 4:23:31 PM GMT
  • Martin HodgeMartin Hodge Posts: 1,246
    edited 2010-02-22 17:05
    Amaral... A bit harsh, dontcha think? Wow.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Martin Hodge
    "Mmmmm, Biscuits"
  • AmaralAmaral Posts: 176
    edited 2010-02-22 20:15
    Yeap .. it was for sure ! I apologise .

Obviously that humanoid is very smart and has a solid back ground, and my comment may sound personal but is NOT. But I really don´t like the idea of calling witch I´ll would consider ART, and art is good thing but quite useless, a computer. And for he 3D operation it would just have to move in a different set the planes of the procesors, still I don´t see the point !
    edited 2010-02-23 00:21
    humanoido said...
    If not, you could always put the new sound detector on it...

What did I miss a new sound detector?? Which one were you referring too?

Thanks...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Post Edited (Macore) : 2/23/2010 12:59:37 AM GMT
    edited 2010-02-23 00:43
    Amaral... I disagree that art is useless. Personally, I consider a 71 Corvette Stingray with a hood scoop in black to be a true work of art and it's functional too. Art is in the eye of the beholder. Functionality is as well. In Humanido's case, he has built something that is useful for his purposes. It also is interesting to look at and somewhat apealing from a non-technical view. Just because it does not serve a function for you, does not mean it is not functional for others. As for whether it deserves to be a project of the week, I don't know. It would depend in part on the other projects available for consideration. There are some interesting features ( token ring lite built in ). It's a novel use of the stamps, I don't see a problem with it. To me the purpose of the project of the week is less of a "hey look what I did" thing and more of a place to look for interesting ideas that can be expanded upon. Sometimes they are evident, other times they aren't.

I am sorry for beating up on you for this. There are several other people's names that could be inserted as well. To those people I would simply suggest that decaf is an excellent alternative. Remember, freedom of speach does not imply a requirement to listen. If the article isn't what you are looking for, stop reading and find another one more to your liking. There I've said enough. It's time for dinner and as you can tell, I'm getting grouchy. I'm going to go have some dinner and a bunch of decaf and maybe a little wine just for fun.
    edited 2010-02-23 05:35
    I do not feel it is wrong to submit criticism when it is presented in a reasonable nature. I think it is the nature of the feedback and the "flavor" of the presentation that is causing so much response. Speaking for myself, I find myself
    wanting to point out the pompous way responses are given along with a "you couldn't possibly know what I know and if you don't "see" it you are just stupid" attitude he presents. His "look at all the books I have read" smarts is frankly, laughable
    when his responses clearly show only a shallow understanding of the subjects being presented. I also agree it is not up to the professional, very capable nature that most of your presentations measure up to. I come here for that and have come to expect
    it and I think most of us feel "let down" and that is a compliment to your site and company. Repeating myself, I feel it is the nature of the presentation that is stimulating the bulk of the feedback. I will apologize for not meeting the professional standards
    in my comments that I expect from this site but in this case I must say its hard not to act this way. What can I say I am weak.......
    edited 2010-02-23 07:38
    Macore said...
    What did I miss a new sound detector?? Which one were you referring too?
    Thanks...
    Parallax has two new sound related sensors. It's the one for only $7.99
    that I was referring to. Info and link below.

The Sound Impact Sensor detects sound from up to 3 meters away, lending noise-activation possibilities to your project. This sensor also includes an onboard potentiometer for easy adjustment of the range of detection for the sensor. This sensor is compatible with all Parallax microcontrollers and sample code for both the BASIC Stamp 2 and the Propeller chip can be found under Downloads...
    www.parallax.com/StoreSearchResults/tabid/768/txtSearch/sound/List/0/SortField/4/ProductID/614/Default.aspx
    29132-M.jpg

The other sound related sensor is the Say It Module. (seen below)
    Add voice recognition functionality for 23 built-in pre-programmed or up to 32 user-defined commands. The Say it GUI software for the BASIC Stamp 2 provides an interface for training the module and producing template code. Or, use the robust serial protocol to access the Say It Module functions from other microcontrollers
    www.parallax.com/StoreSearchResults/tabid/768/txtSearch/speech/List/0/SortField/4/ProductID/589/Default.aspx
    30080-M.jpg

A propeller chip circuit can also process sound, as seen in the Demo Board schematic.
    www.parallax.com/Portals/0/Downloads/docs/prod/prop/PropDemoDschem.pdf
    attachment.php?attachmentid=68023

Post Edited (humanoido) : 2/24/2010 9:38:02 AM GMT
    538 x 215 - 28K
    edited 2010-02-23 08:18
    Ahh, OK thanks, I have had the "Say It" module for a while now and have not had a chance because of being sidetracked with other stuff to play with it. I did build a simple project from the "Sound Impact Sensor" and found it to work quite well and be useful for "Clapper" type on/off applications. I did not immediately associate it with something like a music sensor that would make the "4D Morphing Computer" *grins* dance as it seems to be just on/off with no gray area in between. From your post I was thinking of something more like a those old video boxes that made the different colored lights dance on and off to music, forget what they are called. Right now I am trying to squeeze time out of my life to finish my Penguin and then try some of the stuff suggested on your web site. I also am wanting to play with the GPS module using the fancy FPU on site here that supports NMEA string parsing. Sighs, so much fun to be had and so little time...

Thanks again!

PS... I love the Propeller chip. The demo board is very powerful and useful, wish it had more I/O pins though. The Spin Stamp on a BOE is a good alternative. But enough of that as its off topic for this Forum.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Post Edited (Macore) : 2/23/2010 8:23:39 AM GMT
    edited 2010-02-23 13:48
    Macore: it sounds like you have lots of good projects going on.
    Keep me posted about your Penguin. [noparse]:)[/noparse] The idea for the sound
    impact sensor was exactly as you surmised - it would be used
    as an on/off switch activated by sound. It may take a loud sound
    to trip it, so I was thinking of adding some preamp circuit to
    increase the sound level. When the sound is detected, it can
    tell the cores to start moving randomly or in patterns.

To get the lights to dance with music, it may take a different
    kind of sound sensor, like a microphone and LM386 amplifier
    coupled to the light. Some places call this a light strobe or a
    light sequencer or synchronizer. Hasn't anyone created a
    project like this for an LED or two?

For more pins, the Propeller Proto board is very good. Or
    work with the chip itself with all pins available. The SPIN
    stamp is an outstanding package - it has some pins not
    connected to fit the Stamp configuration. I agree, the
    prop is very powerful and lots of fun to work with.

humanoido

Post Edited (humanoido) : 2/23/2010 1:58:44 PM GMT
    edited 2010-02-23 14:05
    I just noticed the SayIt module is not compatible with the BASIC Stamp 1, so
    it will need to run from a BS2. A coprocessor could be attached to the base
    core to operate this module. The coprocessor BS2 can operate at 2400 baud
    to communicate with three BS1s on the network.

humanoido