Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Help on servo motor — Parallax Forums

Help on servo motor

vpvp Posts: 2
edited 2008-08-19 00:17 in BASIC Stamp
Hi there,

I am new to servo motor and want to drive a AC servo motor from PARALLAX Board of education revision B.

How should i start. I am clueless any comments any guide to follow.

Thx
Vishal Patel

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-08-18 20:41
    What is described here as a servo motor is generally a small DC motor with a servo controller based on R/C (Radio Controlled) model operation. Specifically, the motor is controlled by a logic level pulse from 1ms to 2ms in width, sometimes as short as 0.5ms or as long as 2.5ms. The position of the motor shaft is determined by the width of the pulse. Some servos are modified so that the direction and speed are controlled by the width of the pulse. Most servo motors are designed to be powered by a DC source from 4.8 to 7.2V with a peak current on the order of 1 Ampere and average currents while moving of about 1/4 of that. Some servos are made with larger motors and some with smaller, but that's a typical description.

If you're talking about an AC servo motor, you're probably talking about something completely different and you'll have to supply much more information about the motor and how it's normally controlled.

There are servo motor controllers like Parallax's HB-25 which is designed to control a much larger DC motor, but appear to the microcontroller just like an R/C servo motor. That still doesn't sound like what you have.
  • JB_RoboticsJB_Robotics Posts: 2
    edited 2008-08-18 21:42
    Vishal,

·· I have not actually used a AC Servo connected to a Basic Stamp, I do have some info that I have attached that may be of help to you.

JB
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2008-08-19 00:17
    Looks like you'll want to experiment with using AC motors first, then use the servo version. Although, unless you are designing a product using the AC servo, it would be 1000 times easier to just use a regular DC motor. From the documentation, it looks like the only advantage is a little bit better control and less wear and tear. If you do decide to use the AC servo, post the link to the one that you are using. Oh, forgot to say please. Please...