Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
I have a problem with the logo - Page 3 — Parallax Forums

I have a problem with the logo

Comments

• PraxisPraxis Posts: 333
    edited 2008-06-24 20:42
    Ken, interesting to get your take on it all.

But notice if you will that most of the posts had no problem with the name at all but the "hat" is a different story.

Cheers

Post Edited (Praxis) : 6/24/2008 8:47:27 PM GMT
  • Matthew HayMatthew Hay Posts: 63
    edited 2008-06-24 20:53
    Ken Gracey (Parallax) said...

The Propeller name is part of Parallax and I don't see how it could change. For those who face adversity with managers and bean-counters, we'll send one of our staff to your site to do the PowerPoint slide show and demonstration, and to talk about our "foundry partners" and all that other impressive stuff. Just give me the command.·They'll forget·about the name after we leave.

Makes me wish I had a job that required selling this chip to my boss, lol I would have love to see someone from Parallax come give a presentation.

Before I got layed off back in March I was lucky enough to have had my employer buy some proto boards for a couple one off projects that I was supposed to do, but I also know that he trusted me entirely to buy what I thought we needed.· Unfortunately when I think there are three protoboards sitting in my old desk drawer going to waste (ie doing nothing) I want to cry (I only got to make something with one).

Thanks to Chip, Paul, Ken, Stephanie, Andy, and I'm sure many others that I don't know, for the work you have put into this chip, I've enjoyed using it very much.· (Sorry for the horrible sentence structure and most likely spelling mistakes).
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2008-06-24 20:59
    Praxis,

Yes, I overlooked that a bit. The same statements apply to the Propeller beanie, too.

Thanks,

Ken
    edited 2008-06-24 21:01
    Ken,

De Nada
  • Paul Sr.Paul Sr. Posts: 435
    edited 2008-06-24 21:03
    Praxis said...
    Paul Sr. said...

Considering this is one of the most absurd and wasteful threads I can remember on a Parallax forum,

I note this because it did not stop you from adding to it, so no better no worse than the rest of us.

We all got an opinion............

BTW which of the "seven dirty words" did you have in mind.......no wait let me guess[noparse]:)[/noparse]

Cheers

Couldn't agree more - never said it wasn't an interesting read, nor unworthy of comment - just offering up my contribution to the trash!!

And by the way, it wasn't one of the "seven" - just a simple 2 word exclamation.......

Cheers back at ya!
  • Ken PetersonKen Peterson Posts: 806
    edited 2008-06-24 21:04
    @Ken G.: Thanks for chiming in. It definitely helps to bring things into perspective.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • 4Alex4Alex Posts: 119
    edited 2008-06-24 21:21
    @Ken:
    I like your corporate way of thinking. Silly hat didn't prevented me to use PPL so far, and certainly won't in the future.

@Praxis,
    If you don't succeed at first... Option left: Sanding. 150 grits paper (dirt cheap), ~20x slow circular motions, works well (at least on LQFPs). 1 drop nail varnish for squeaky nice finish.

Cheers,

Alex
  • ImageCraftImageCraft Posts: 348
    edited 2008-06-24 23:20
    As a 3rd party vendor (the only commercial software tools supplier so far?), my bias is definitely "the more sales the better" smile.gif I am a bit torn about the logo. In fact, if you notice, in *our* rendition of the Propeller logo in our ads etc., we actually took great care to highlight the black lines. The ImageCraft graphic artist thinks that it is even more striking that way. Anyway, the geek in me says, "Yea, beanie hat!" The business person in me says, "hmmm..." I'd vote for two logos smile.gif one for the geeks and one (may be a dramatic P with a drop down 8 or something) that is more "marketable."

In the end, I am sure Parallax will do the right thing as they push the Propellers out...

// richard
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 14,162
    edited 2008-06-24 23:21
    Still, I think it would be better if the Prop logo were on a sticker that could be applied to the chip instead of painted on the chip. Then, both groups would be happier...

My hobby side could have a pretty color logo on the chip and my professional side could have more serious looking hardware...

On the other hand, maybe I don't want to have any part in changing the unique character of this chip...

Still, if the sticker were a hologram beanie, that could look professional too maybe...

Post Edited (Rayman) : 6/24/2008 11:40:28 PM GMT
  • Fred HawkinsFred Hawkins Posts: 997
    edited 2008-06-24 23:38
    simonl said...
    I feel a naming contest for the P16X32A comin' on smile.gif

How about:

1. "Kaid" - as in Hexakaidecagon - the name of a 16 sided polygon (Yes, I know it's also called a hexadecagon!)?
    2. "PII"
    3. "Parion" - I have no idea where that came from!
    4. "PMCD" - Parallax Multi-Core Device
    5. "ProCore"
    6. "Cogent" - well it's got 'cog' in it!

I give-up - my brain hurts!

I thought it was P16x64. And I like "Grrrr". (Gr^4)
    ·
  • hippyhippy Posts: 1,981
    edited 2008-06-25 01:57
    The thing I really like about Parallax as a company is that it hasn't sold itself out to capitalist greed, that it's still about people enjoying work, having fun, delivering solid products and not simply about maximising profit and long may that continue. I wish there were more companies like that but sadly not.

While everyone would like a multi-million dollar order, the simple fact is that it doesn't actually matter that much if the rest of the market is satisfied and Parallax and its staff are happy with the income they do get. It's not necessary to maximise income, just to make enough profit to keep expanding and keep staff happy.

Three cheers for Parallax for not following the herd of sheep.
  • hinvhinv Posts: 1,253
    edited 2008-06-25 02:32
    Hi,

I know I am late to the party, but I too don't really care for the beanie hat. I really do like the name, however.
    I really didn't notice the hat until I had read a lot about the internals of the chip, so it did not turn me away. I am a hobbiest too, at least for now.
    When I think of an 8 processor propeller, I think of something like this because it is powerful.
    www.airbusmilitary.com/gallery/a400mdesertlanding1024.jpg
    or
    angellabsllc.com/images/video5.jpg and angellabsllc.com/video/autoShowSony.wmv

One thing that is kind of a hangup of mine is the dip40 package. To me it says OLD, clunky, slow.

@hippy: Thanks for explaining what you meant. I didn't really get what you were trying to say at first.

@fred: P16x32 is for 16 cogs at 32 bits.
  • PhilldapillPhilldapill Posts: 1,283
    edited 2008-06-25 03:03
    @hinv, I thought the PropII WAS 64 bit? i.e. - it would indeed be P16x64 like fred said? Please don't tell me otherwise... I've lovely dreams about the things I could do with 64 bits...

Actually, wouldn't it sort of have to be 64 bit? I mean there are going to be many more pins than on the propeller, so to store their states and what not, you'd need a bigger register, right?
  • Jimmy W.Jimmy W. Posts: 112
    edited 2008-06-25 03:13
    hinv said...

One thing that is kind of a hangup of mine is the dip40 package. To me it says OLD, clunky, slow
    Huh? how else do you get 32 io pins + other critical connections then? xtal, /BOE, /RES etc?

Just my 2 cents, make the prop 2 in bright pink, with a color beanie, and fark anyone that doesn't want to use it. If you are looking at anything beside tech specs, your requirements and the footprint the chip has, me thinks you may have a problem
  • grasshoppergrasshopper Posts: 438
    edited 2008-06-25 03:32
    simonl said...
    I feel a naming contest for the P16X32A comin' on smile.gif

How about:

1. "Kaid" - as in Hexakaidecagon - the name of a 16 sided polygon (Yes, I know it's also called a hexadecagon!)?
    2. "PII"
    3. "Parion" - I have no idea where that came from!
    4. "PMCD" - Parallax Multi-Core Device
    5. "ProCore"
    6. "Cogent" - well it's got 'cog' in it!

I give-up - my brain hurts!

1.Octocore²

2. double dualquad

3. Octocore duce

4. Raw16

5. Twin Prop

6. dual 16 legged *** kicker
  • P!-RoP!-Ro Posts: 1,189
    edited 2008-06-25 04:01
    Praxis said...
    Ken, interesting to get your take on it all.

But notice if you will that most of the posts had no problem with the name at all but the "hat" is a different story.

Cheers
    I don't see why the logo can't be changed, leaving the same name. Why not just show the picture of a spinning propeller with the name of prop? It would be like the Caterpillar tractors. Since the name is so long, it is just shortened to Cat. It seems if it was called the prop without a beanie it would be more·popular with both engineers·AND hobbyists, but I don't·know, just another·thought in this pool of many.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    The Pi Guy
  • Fred HawkinsFred Hawkins Posts: 997
    edited 2008-06-25 04:14
    Philldapill said...
    @hinv, I thought the PropII WAS 64 bit? i.e. - it would indeed be P16x64 like fred said? Please don't tell me otherwise... I've lovely dreams about the things I could do with 64 bits...

Actually, wouldn't it sort of have to be 64 bit? I mean there are going to be many more pins than on the propeller, so to store their states and what not, you'd need a bigger register, right?
    Harley's tabulation of the GR^4 chip: http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=658678

I still like "Grrrr" best, for when·the Big Dogs Play.

Post Edited (Fred Hawkins) : 6/25/2008 4:20:53 AM GMT
    399 x 388 - 89K
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2008-06-25 04:14
    The brainless suits who pan the Prop because of the name or beanie logo are probably the same people who buy these or these. So put a Propeller chip in a ceramic leadless chip carrier with gold-plated contacts, call it the "MIL8X32Z TURBO" or somesuch, skip the logo on the package, advertise it as a "hardened, military-grade parallel hypercontroller", and sell it for $99.95. Don't give quantity discounts either, and make sure each customer has to fill out a lengthy questionnaire to "qualify" to purchase the ceramic version. A waiting list will help, too. Those — what's that word Hippy used? — will be lined up at the door waving cash!

Of course, that would be so not Parallax! smile.gif

-Phil
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    edited 2008-06-25 04:16
    I did my homework before I chose the Propeller. I thought the name was good and the logo cute. Don't change it.

I am a (retired?) design engineer. I have never had any problems convincing others of the way to go regarding chips used. The right chip is the right chip for the job. Name and logo doesn't come into it and if your boss doesn't like it then either he/she doesn't respect your decision or you can't argue your case successfully.

Oh... and for the record, aside from Apple (and the MacIntosh) there was a Peach PC (made by Hitachi), someone did an Apricot, and (I think it was Casio) intended releasing the "Lemon". I know one of the persons trying to convince them the name Lemon was no good!
  • PFloyd36069PFloyd36069 Posts: 135
    edited 2008-06-25 04:33
    I dont think the prop needs any changing but the pic of the WWII fighter might be pretty sweet(maybe lige a····· P-40 or a P-51).
  • P!-RoP!-Ro Posts: 1,189
    edited 2008-06-25 04:33
    You're making me hungry Cluso99. Now everytime I look at my pc I think it is a pie.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    The Pi Guy
  • hinvhinv Posts: 1,253
    edited 2008-06-25 05:09
    @Philldapill, The PropII is a 32 bit multiprocessor, meaning each does 32bit math. There are supposed to be 64 I/O's which will add a lot of posibilities like adding memory. The part number, if I remember right will be P16x32.
    edited 2008-06-25 07:16
    4Alex said...

If you don't succeed at first... Option left: Sanding. 150 grits paper (dirt cheap), ~20x slow circular motions, works well (at least on LQFPs). 1 drop nail varnish for squeaky nice finish.

I'm still laughing......................[noparse]:)[/noparse]
  • Graham StablerGraham Stabler Posts: 2,507
    edited 2008-06-25 08:22
    Hey Hippy, I'm a PhD (have one that is) and an Engineer and even a Brit, but how did you know I was a W..... [noparse]:)[/noparse]

I think there is a lot of mind reading going on here, our own insecurities are making us predict what we expect will be the response. Some have had bad experience but whether you are getting it from academics, doctors engineers or suits surely all you need to do is argue back. Since when are engineers passive "yes sir no sir" types, argue!

"Yes the company has foundations in the hobby sector but this is their own silicon and it's got serious performance"
    "Yes the logo is cute but it really is the chip for the job, fast to develop, high performance and versatile"
    "Oh so it's not a proper processor, OK lets have a race to develop this app..... or can your processor do this ......"

Go forth men!

Graham

p.s. When working in aerospace the name propeller can be an issue!
  • AleAle Posts: 2,363
    edited 2008-06-25 08:24
    PFloyd36069 said...
    I dont think the prop needs any changing but the pic of the WWII fighter might be pretty sweet(maybe lige a P-40 or a P-51).

A H-Bomb may be better suited... together with the photo of some (it is the enemy, no ?) child burnt down from radiation...

No thanks. cry.gif
  • Ken PetersonKen Peterson Posts: 806
    edited 2008-06-25 12:27
    @Phil: $500 network cord??? $8000 speaker cables??? I'm going into the wire business. I can't wait until the new ceramic Props come out too!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • Paul Sr.Paul Sr. Posts: 435
    edited 2008-06-25 12:58
    Ken Peterson said...
    @Phil: $500 network cord??? $8000 speaker cables??? I'm going into the wire business.

My former brother-in-law (and still very close friend) actually did - truly staggering. Check out Nordost Corp!
    edited 2008-06-25 14:34
    Hey Hippy,

This is a technical forum. We already suffered through your 'wankers' rant, thank you very much. Could you now please spare us of your nonsense economics.·Thanks a million (hope that doesn't sound too 'capitalist greed' tongue.gif·)

Cheers,

Alex
  • Graham StablerGraham Stabler Posts: 2,507
    edited 2008-06-25 14:48
    Alex, please don't speak for everyone especially after only 7 posts.
    edited 2008-06-25 14:54
    @Graham:

Sorry, just joined last month. Was not aware of any minimum posting limits. Getting there, though, this is my 8th...

Cheers,

Alex