Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Wall-E Robot - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

Wall-E Robot

Comments

• UghaUgha Posts: 543
    edited 2008-03-06 21:21
    StampNut2:
    You could reduce the resolution and recompress it.

If they can make 2 hour movies look good for under 700 MB, I'm sure you can make your 5 minute movie look good and
    keep the filesize small.

VLC media player has some transcoding options... and ffmpeg can convert almost anything to almost anything else... though
    its a bit hard to learn (command line).

There are several other programs out there to convert/reduce files. I just like these cause they are open souce and...
    free.

On a bit more on-topic note... can you tell us the scale of Wall-E? Heightxwidth and such?
    What kind of programming are you going to give it? Are you going to include some way for it to talk?
  • StampNut2StampNut2 Posts: 224
    edited 2008-03-07 05:35
    Looks like I'm going to have to investigate this movie thing, Thanks for the info. As for scale, It's 150mmW x 160mm H x 160mmL box not including the head and neck, These are 140mmL x 24mmW, The head is 120mmL x 140mmW x 65mmD. Arms 100mmL x 20mmW and the hands are 80mmL x 30mmW.. The Mattrack base is 250mmW x 160mmL. Hope this helps.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Never give up when things go wrong, Just work them out.

robosapienv2-4mem8.page.tl/
  • Timothy D. SwieterTimothy D. Swieter Posts: 1,613
    edited 2008-03-07 13:04
    Certainly the video can be smaller, give it a go.

Wow - awesome Wall-E recreation StampNut2!! Very, very nice.

I wonder if Radio Shack is getting the hint that they need to sell just a Mattrack kit or do they really think everyone is buying the Hummer for the hummer?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Timothy D. Swieter

www.brilldea.com·- check out the uOLED-IOC, an I/O expansion for the uOLED-96-PROP
    www.tdswieter.com
    One little spark of imagination is all it takes for an idea to explode
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    edited 2008-03-08 01:50
    Timothy D. Swieter said...

I wonder if Radio Shack is getting the hint that they need to sell just a Mattrack kit?

Timothy,
    I would be nice if someone would. (maybe even Parallax could find a source - hint, hint) They are really nice. With the Hummer on sale at $60 - paying $30 for a pair is not terrible. I know if you could just buy the mattracks, they could do better.

StampNut2,
    Looking forward to the video. Also visited the robocommunity site - WALL-E is looking great!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Whit+

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
  • jbodjbod Posts: 46
    edited 2008-03-08 03:16
    Do the tracks just bolt right on? Or is there a setup?
    edited 2008-03-08 06:48
    Timothy D. Swieter Thanks for your comments, Yes I would agree that if the Mattracks could be sold as a kit would be great, How can we push this????

Whit I thought you might take another look, Have now uploaded two video's of Wall-E, Also we have uploaded a digest of Wall-E which incorporates 50 Photo's out of 150 that have been taken so far. We will make an article when the whole project is finished and include ALL photo's.

jbod No they do not, It will depend on what you use for motive power, servos or gear motors, Then you have to machine the hex rod. You can use steel hex or nylon rod but which ever you use you will have to do some form of machining to mate it with your motive power source.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

edited 2008-03-08 12:28
    Check this out guys, A digest of my Wall-E project to date. More to come as the project moves on. A full article will be posted when finished.
    www.robocommunity.com/article/13007/Wall-E-Robot--Homebuilt-Project-Step-By-Step-Digest/

Also a couple of video's. Not great video's, will do better later.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=79jfrUYDv0M
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TTCUqtGsBw

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Post Edited (StampNut2) : 3/8/2008 12:34:30 PM GMT
  • UghaUgha Posts: 543
    edited 2008-03-08 13:05
    I found some mattracks on an Ebay auction that ends today if someone's interested... I can't afford them.
    Auction number:

As of this posting, they are at $20.72 with $9.50 shipping... Good luck guys [noparse]:)[/noparse]
  • Tom CTom C Posts: 461
    edited 2008-03-08 14:37
    Whit,

If you take a look at T0m's thread, concerning·his Mattracks equipped BoeBot, from last year, you will notice that he had purchased all of the spare Mattracks from Radio Shack and was trying to negotiate a Mattrack production contract with the manufacturer in China that had made the Mattracks for Radio Shack.

As far as I know, T0m never followed up on that thread concerning the production of the Mattracks with the manufacturer in China.

Regards,

TCIII

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    If you are going to send·a Robot·to save the world, you·better make sure it likes it the way it is!
    edited 2008-03-08 15:41
    StampNut2 - Looking very good! The Digest of steps is nice too...

Ugha - Thanks for the info - I have two pair now. I will check out the auction.

TCIII - I do remember that TOm talked about that. Wonder how we could go about checking that out?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Whit+

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
    edited 2008-03-08 19:34
    M'mmm, it would be nice if that were possible, I would like another set also. There must be some way we can this follow this up.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

edited 2008-03-08 22:21
    StampNut2 said...
    M'mmm, it would be nice if that were possible, I would like another set also. There must be some way we can this follow this up.

I sent TOm a message to find out about this. I will start working on it.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Whit+

edited 2008-03-08 22:31
    That's great Whit.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

edited 2008-03-09 16:35
    StampNut2,

Watch out! My son presented me with this today...

It is Wall-E's arch enemy, Tall-E. Notice that he has legs and laser eyes (according to my son).

attachment.php?attachmentid=52648

You've been warned.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Whit+

Post Edited (Whit) : 3/9/2008 4:43:45 PM GMT
    273 x 320 - 7K
    edited 2008-03-09 17:30
    Ha Ha Ha, Wall-E has many secrets, One being Sal-E, And if Tall-E sees her, I will have no problems with Tall-E Bothering me Ha Ha. Check out the LEDs in Wall-E's head Whit. Tell your son, Nice pic BTW.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

edited 2008-03-09 18:51
    Very cool eyes StampNut2 and a great video of the other WALL-E project too. My son says thanks!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Whit+

edited 2008-03-10 04:21
    If I get a set of these nice motors and wheels a large Wall-E would be great, GWjax is thinking of building a larger version [noparse][[/noparse]Robocommunity] We may build one together. That would mean that we could make everything work. I can see your eyes lighting up Whit!!!!!!!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

edited 2008-03-10 04:56
    Nice videos of Wall-E StampNut2.

Let me know what you find out Whit about about TOm and manufacturing. I take on some adventerous projects some times. I would consider designing our own and getting them fabbed over here in China, but there would have to be suffecient volume to cover the molds and design time. If TOm has a lead on the manufacturer, than that is huge. If the manufacturer is in the lower part of China (Shenzhen, Dongguan, Guangzho), then maybe I could help by visiting them on an "off day".

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Timothy D. Swieter

www.brilldea.com·- check out the uOLED-IOC, an I/O expansion for the uOLED-96-PROP
    www.tdswieter.com
    edited 2008-03-10 08:12
    Cool Timothy D Swieter, That's another avenue to pursue.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

edited 2008-03-10 22:23
    Hey Everyone,

I wrote Radio Shack a note and asked about ordering the Mattracks by themselves. They sent the following reply-

"The Mattracks are available with the wheel. Your local RadioShack store can order them for you. Catalog numbers are Left/ RSU 12458907 $11.69 & Right/RSU 12458923 $11.69."

That would be $23.38 a pair. Not bad till I find out some more information. So we should be able to take these numbers to our local stores and order a pair.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Whit+

edited 2008-03-10 23:46
    Wow Whit!· Good digging.· If it is that easy and the product is readily available, then I say go for it.· US$24/pair is an outstanding price!· Outstanding!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Timothy D. Swieter

www.tdswieter.com
    edited 2008-03-11 01:37
    Timothy,

I'm going to give it a try tomorrow.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Whit+

edited 2008-03-11 04:32
    Cool whit, If it works out for you guys can you find out for me if they ship to NZ, If not Can i pay you Whit for 4 sets!! By PayPal.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

edited 2008-03-11 09:15
    Here's a couple more pics of Wall-E after the ping sensors and LEDs have been inserted in the tubes.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

600 x 450 - 34K
    600 x 450 - 37K
    600 x 450 - 63K
    edited 2008-03-11 18:56
    Hey Everyone,

I went and ordered a set of Mattracks today. As they said the Left Assembly and Right Assembly were $11.69 each. They will ship them to my house for $4.50 (it would be the same shipped to the store). That makes the total with the tax here - $30.67 for a pair.

When they come in, I will let you know if all is well. I told the folks a Radio Shack - "WE" might be ordering some more. They said eventually they would run out - since these are replacement parts - but till then, at least we have a source.

StampNut2 - WALL-E is looking great. Love the weathered Mattracks.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Whit+

• jbodjbod Posts: 46
    edited 2008-03-11 21:06
    How are you mounting the Mattracks? Do you have a setup you can share [noparse]:)[/noparse]
    edited 2008-03-12 00:31
    jbod,

I just got mine. But you can get some ideas looking at StampNut2's pictures above.

See TOm's thread and very nice mounting system on this thread - http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=640103·(This system has the suspension that allows the Mattracks to rotate on the mount).

TOm sells this system too. (See here on E-bay for good pics and video - http://cgi.ebay.com/Boe-Bot-Robot-Mattracks-for-Parallax-Robotics_W0QQitemZ290212627820QQihZ019QQcategoryZ1187QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem·(This price is for the Mattracks, mounts and coupler)

And a simpler method here - http://www.roboware.org/Gallery/v/robots/boemat/·(This is a hard mount).

The tricky part is attaching or·coupling·the servo/motor to the Mattrack (and avoiding the servo/motor carrying the load) and allowing the Mattracks to move (with some sort of suspension) with the mount.

Hope this helps.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Whit+

Post Edited (Whit) : 3/12/2008 12:40:56 AM GMT
    edited 2008-03-12 07:18
    Jbod: There's nothing hard and fast here to attaching any motor/gear box if you have a bit of knowledge in engineering, If you have not then you need to find something that you can use off the shelf, Otherwise make some slight modifications like I did to make mine work. Follow this digest for some info, Afull article will be done when Wall-E is finished. www.robocommunity.com/article/13007/Wall-E-Robot--Homebuilt-Project-Step-By-Step-Digest/

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

edited 2008-03-12 16:31
    Enjoy...

http://www.apple.com/trailers/disney/walle/index.html

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Whit+

edited 2008-03-12 17:10
    Hey whit, Many thanks for that it's great, Real great. And I did enjoy.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔