Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Wall-E Robot — Parallax Forums

Wall-E Robot

StampNut2StampNut2 Posts: 224
edited 2008-09-12 17:24 in Robotics
Hey guys, Have not posted for a while, But here is a teaser of what I have been building. The up and coming Wall-E from the movie. Using TOm's Mattracks. There will be a full article on Robo community soon. Specs: PIng pan/tilt head, TX and RX will be removed from the board and inserted in the eye sockets, Front door will move up and down, 3 GP2D12 sensors, head will move back and forward, May include sound clips. Main drive motors are from the hip of Robosapien V2 robot from WoWee . LED battery monitor and an OuLed on the cut out on the front of Wall-E.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Never give up when things go wrong, Just work them out.

robosapienv2-4mem8.page.tl/

Post Edited (StampNut2) : 2/29/2008 8:55:27 PM GMT
446 x 334 - 36K
446 x 334 - 33K
446 x 334 - 32K
446 x 334 - 30K
446 x 334 - 26K

Comments

• UghaUgha Posts: 543
    edited 2008-02-29 23:28
    That's amazing!

Great woodworking on the design, I'm really impressed with the craftmanship.

What microprocessor are you going to use?
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    edited 2008-03-01 03:19
    StampNut2,

I was thinking of doing this just today! I had just posted some WALL-E pictures and a link to the trailer on my blog. I got to thinking of doing the something similar. I thought my kids would really like it. I·was going to use Steve Joblin's simplified Parallax tank track idea. See it here -· http://roebotz.spaces.live.com/·also.

attachment.php?attachmentid=52448

The mattracks look super. So does your whole project. I can't wait for your·article. Please keep posting.

Can't believe you beat me to this cool idea! smilewinkgrin.gif Fantastic work.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Whit+

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney

Post Edited (Whit) : 3/1/2008 3:25:59 AM GMT
    512 x 384 - 17K
  • computer guycomputer guy Posts: 1,113
    edited 2008-03-01 03:27
    Once you finish that you will have to make the whole "e" family.

SALL-E
    GAR-E
    NANC-E
    WEND-E

Just in case you don't know about them you can look at this video. www.youtube.com/watch?v=slnR1GjoDRk&feature=related
    and then go to this site.

http://www.buynlarge.com/

Go to "Robotics" at the top of the page.
    Then "Robot Models" on the left.

Looks like you will have a lot of work to do. smile.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Check out my robot using the propeller RECONAUTOR
    If you like my avatar then check this out Propeller Domed Sticker
    edited 2008-03-01 13:24
    Bill,

I posted this elsewhere before Christmas...

Look what is back at Radio Shack - $79.99 right now. Four Mattracks with Hummer and Remote. Not bad - but a sale would be better. smilewinkgrin.gif· (Edit - These now cost $59.97, but you better get them fast! They are only available in store and I think must be what is left from Christmas. You get two pair of Mattracks for $60 - The Hummer also comes with wheels and would also still be usable and hackable smilewinkgrin.gif )

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2882884&cp=&sr=1&origkw=mattracks&kw=mattracks&parentPage=search

attachment.php?attachmentid=49636

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Whit+

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney

Post Edited (Whit) : 3/2/2008 12:52:11 PM GMT
  • StampNut2StampNut2 Posts: 224
    edited 2008-03-01 19:04
    Thanks for your comments guys, much appreciated, Has been a lot of work so far, Today [noparse][[/noparse]Saturday NZ time] I have primed Wall-E and will be doing the rivet work, I then intend to make a fiber glass mold of it, body only not arms or head/neck system. It will incorporate two BS2 stamps linked together as 1 is running out of memory.
    Whit: Nice to here that your also are thinking of building one, it;s a great project, and you tracks should work fine. Below are a few more teaser shots, Notice the LEGO Technics air rams for the arms [noparse][[/noparse]Modified] I have removed the HB25 controllers and replaced them with standard H bridge circuits for more versatility, Eyes were made from Alloy pill containers, and a shot of all the components ready to put together.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Post Edited (StampNut2) : 3/1/2008 7:17:44 PM GMT
    446 x 334 - 35K
    446 x 334 - 36K
    446 x 334 - 27K
    446 x 334 - 25K
    446 x 334 - 44K
    edited 2008-03-01 20:18
    Looks great StampNut2! Can't wait to see the paint job and a video of you WALL-E in action. Will your's be out before the movie?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Whit+

edited 2008-03-01 20:43
    Wastehi: You could say that, Or at least I try to be.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

edited 2008-03-01 20:45
    Whit: Yes the movie I believe comes out in June, So i am hoping that Wall-E will be finished before then.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

edited 2008-03-02 12:54
    StampNut2 said...
    Whit: Yes the movie I believe comes out in June, So i am hoping that Wall-E will be finished before then.
    As a matter of fact, WALL-E is out June 27th... so you have almost all June too! The new pictures are great.

Bill is correct though - your robot lab is very well organized. I remember the pic of all those zip-lock storage bags hanging on the wall.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Whit+

edited 2008-03-02 17:19
    Whit: Ha Ha, It's probably the ONLY place in the house THAT is organized. I had a good weekend on Wall-E, applied all the rivet detail and grey,rust brown, and metalic silver paint, Need to apply the yellow and black now and then scrape and sand the area's to get the used look.
    Hey Whit, would you like a video of my workshop!!!!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

• Steve JoblinSteve Joblin Posts: 784
    edited 2008-03-02 17:32
    I think a lot of us would love to see video of your workshop, and how about some more "work in progress" pics/vids of Wall-E!
    edited 2008-03-03 02:56
    wastehl said...
    Whit, after searching out 18 stores in southern CA, I finally got three of these H2s, I'll be parting them out soon and will post the remains should anyone have a use for them.
    Bill and StampNut2 - I picked one up today also. I have a line on another one too. I figure one pair·for a BOE Bot (like TOm's) and one pair for a WALL-E. Plus whatever I can scavenge from the Hummer itself.

StampNut2 - I'd love to see that video!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Whit+

edited 2008-03-03 04:52
    Ok, I will see what i can do about that video of my workshop. As for more pics of Wall-E you will have to go to this link www.robocommunity.com/forum/thread/12732/Wall-E-Robot/ As you can appreciate I will be doing an article on robo Community [noparse][[/noparse]where I am member] About Wall-E and I cannot post to many pics until it is released, But if you follow the above link you will see discussions and teaser pics of Wall-E. I will also be making a fiber glass mold of Wall-E's body and pics of the process. So far I have taken 120 Photo's And expect it to reach 180-200 of the process's. My avatar is Robosapienv2-4mem8

Moderators: I hope this is ok with you guys.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Post Edited (StampNut2) : 3/3/2008 4:58:52 AM GMT
    edited 2008-03-03 13:04
    StampNut2,

I saw that you are working on the colors for WALL-E. Here is the best photo (though partial) that I have.

Hope it helps.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Whit+

2151 x 1261 - 406K
    edited 2008-03-04 05:14
    Nice shot Whit, I do not have that one.Thanks.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

edited 2008-03-04 05:53
    Have done a 5 min video of my workshop, Just have to edit it and upload to ytube if it's not to big a file.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

• milwmilw Posts: 12
    edited 2008-03-04 13:09
    Whit, can you tell me how big those tracks on the hummer are? I have 2 RS's within striking distance that claim to have it in stock, I could clean them out today if anyone is interested (probly only need one, myself). And great work StampNut2, cant wait to see him in action!
    edited 2008-03-04 15:53
    milw,

The tread width is 1-7/8" (5 cm), overall length is 6-1/4" (15.5 - 16 cm), height is 4" (10 cm). To get a good idea of the size relative to a BoeBot chassis, see TOm's Mattrack thread at - http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=640103 or take a look at this picture of TOm's clever adaptation to the BoeBot frame (from the same thread).

attachment.php?attachmentid=52523

Hope this helps.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Whit+

Post Edited (Whit) : 3/4/2008 4:15:46 PM GMT
    512 x 384 - 28K
  • milwmilw Posts: 12
    edited 2008-03-04 16:06
    That's perfect, thanks Whit! I'll be getting me a hummer at lunchtime! And so it looks like that really is the exact same track as StampNut2 is using for his WallE.
    edited 2008-03-04 16:11
    milw said...
    That's perfect, thanks Whit! I'll be getting me a hummer at lunchtime! And so it looks like that really is the exact same track as StampNut2 is using for his WallE.
    milw,

It is what StampNut2 is using. Here is another link to a simpler mount with video!

http://www.roboware.org/Gallery/v/robots/boemat/

This method of mounting is more in keeping with WALL-E look.

Good luck in picking some up.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Whit+

edited 2008-03-04 17:17
    Milw: Good to have you aboard.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

• iDaveiDave Posts: 252
    edited 2008-03-05 01:32
    Amazing...absolutely amazing. Keep on keepin' on stampnut2! I knew back when i first saw a promo for the wall-e movie that it might spark mattrack fever and it looks like it certainly did. I had already found some rs mattracks so I felt ahead of the curve. Thanks again whit for leading me by the nose to this thread. Ha! This gives me the push to finally get them on..maybe this weekend!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "THE ONLY TRUE WISDOM IS IN KNOWING YOU KNOW NOTHING." - SOCRATES
    edited 2008-03-05 05:21
    Kool iDave: Are u building a Wall-E as well? Let us know. Pics if you have them.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

edited 2008-03-05 06:29
    Oh no. No wall-e building for me. I'm quite new to this hobby. I'll get the mattracks on and be happy with that. Although my boe bot does a have a bit of character for a first robot project. I've got it(him? i call it Huey) pimped with a bs2p(programming is fun for me & knew i'd quickly run out of room), some erector parts on his rear to make a small platform to hold a serial lcd, remote capability and OH .. a smoke detector siren(HA!). With that he's good at waking me up in the morning. Since it's quite loud i just run the pin high for like 1/2 a second, but then the next snooze increments a few seconds. Funnest (and funniest) alarm clock i ever had!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2008-03-05 08:25
    Nice one idave, Sounds like an interesting bot. Any pics.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

edited 2008-03-06 05:03
    Does anybody know of another video uploading program other than Youtube, I have a video over 1GB and Youtube's limit is 1GB, Video has already been compressed.I have a video of my workshop that a few ppl want to see here.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

• UghaUgha Posts: 543
    edited 2008-03-06 05:33
    What format is the video in and what resolution and duration is it?
    edited 2008-03-06 09:45
    Ugha: It is from a DV camcorder, not sure if it converts it jpeg when it is uploaded into Motion Studio DV 5.3SE, The movie is about 5min 47sec.
    Wastehi Thanks for the link, I'll give it a go.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

edited 2008-03-06 16:50
    M'mmmmm, I have tried yousendit.com and TZ files.com Started last night at 11pm it is now 6am and it is still trying to upload, Surly it cant take 7hrs to upload a 2.3GB movie?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

edited 2008-03-06 20:14
    StampNut2 said...
    Nice one idave, Sounds like an interesting bot. Any pics.

Thanks for the encouraging words. When I think I'm pretty much done with the way i want it & deem it worthy, I'll call in the paparazzi for some pics.
    Looking forward to seeing your video.

Dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔