Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Parallax is LIVESTREAMING the unboxing of the Propeller 2! https://youtu.be/01TyfRtSjkI — Parallax Forums

Parallax is LIVESTREAMING the unboxing of the Propeller 2! https://youtu.be/01TyfRtSjkI

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to share the YouTube link to the livestream of Chip & Ken unveiling the Propeller 2 Multicore Microcontroller:

Hope to see you there!

Comments

• FYI: The first part of the stream just ended at about 12:36 pm PST/California as they need to switch laptops (and maybe eat). They will resume the stream after a break, and will likely post a link here. Stay tuned.

• Watching looks, sounds good
  • We're taking a lunch break. I will post a link here when we restart. Ken
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    Eat? Eat? At a time like this?!

I'm frantically wondering what happened.

• Heater, you can watch the video that saved from the stream.

They unboxed it and chip soldered one to a board, but they haven't fired it up yet.
  • When is next one?
  • I have to say, I'm supposed to be working today, and this is really hard. I just want to know if it worked!
    Yep, I'm busy catching up on that.

I have a bottle of bubbly waiting here for "first light". Really.
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    Incredibly exciting! Sorry I was not here from the very start - getting caught up on the progress now.
  • Heater, great call. I'm going to get some hard cider.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,254
    Way cool! Two props to the Prop 2 gang!
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,254
    "Hello World."
    Good grief.

Eight years or more effort. A huge pile of money invested. And the P2 arrives in a tiny, anonymous brown cardboard box like a $1 ebay purchase from China.

• So excited. I hope everything will work as expected. And I would be extremely interested in purchasing an eInk P2 board like you suggested in the first video. Wifi would also be welcome or bluetooth keyboard pairing...
  • We're back on-line; if somebody could post the link that'd be great. - Ken
  • Part 2 stream
  • JRetSapDoogJRetSapDoog Posts: 954
    edited 2018-09-27 20:48
  • Power drop will take a while if running off lower freq osc
  • no chat on Youtube ?
    Ah!! What is happening?!

Live stream dropped out.
  • Ken is restarting the stream. If you are subscribed to Parallax on Youtube and you have notifications enabled, you'll get an email
  • New link:
  • chat is off on the channel ?
  • JDJD Posts: 570
    Part 3:
  • jmgjmg Posts: 15,148
    edited 2018-09-27 23:12
    A 10mA lsb on current is just not giving enough info...
    Surely here are better PSUs / metering options there somewhere ?
    Multimeters are ok, but check that 1.8V on the chip-side is still 1.8V, as many meters have voltage drops.
    Better is to use a low Iq LDO, and to meter on the Vin side, where 200mV of meter drop, do not matter.

If a low drop mA meter is not easy to find, an alternative is to use eg 1Ohm series R, for 1mV/mA drop, and then a 200mV low cost meter range gives 0.1mA LSB, better meters give lower LSBs
    30mA of core drain then drops 30mV, tolerable.

That 0.79v on IO pins is sounding suss.... it's about what one would expect if the TEST pin was the only GND connection, and GND itself tab was one parasitic diode elevated.
    A meter between IO and PCB GND (PCB totally unpowered), should show parasitic/esd diodes, when pulling the IO negative - if the GND TAB is connected properly.
  • K2K2 Posts: 691
    edited 2018-09-27 22:30
    Marko!

Not the real Marko?
  • JDJD Posts: 570
    Part 4:

• jmgjmg Posts: 15,148
    edited 2018-09-27 22:58
    Re Spun chip possibility - doesn't RESn have a pullup ? - which is not on XI, so a test for uA current when RST grounded (powered chip), should confirm it is actually the reset pin. (correct pin) RST transistor is open collector.
    Also diode checked from IO to GND should confirm if GND pad is connected.
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    A couple of ideas...

1. A lot of heat was supplied to the chip when soldering the ground pad. Could this have damaged the chip?

2. Didn't Peter put series protection resistors on the I/O pins??? Might these be needed (or shorting) on Reset, Serial In and Serial Out ?

Might it be worth Fedexing a chip to Peter so he can test too? He knows the pcb and has parts.

BTW the pcbs on the picknplace will not require all parts to be placed as some are either/or options. Peter needs to comment.