Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
LDI, PCBs, And The Propeller (New Photos Uploaded 02/19/2019 - 8:05 PM) - Page 8 — Parallax Forums

LDI, PCBs, And The Propeller (New Photos Uploaded 02/19/2019 - 8:05 PM)

1234568»

Comments

• kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    idbruce wrote: »
    LOL... I gave my new machine a knob job today :)

With the piano hinge now installed, connecting the enclosure with a lid, a center knob was definitely missing. As of today, I drilled the holes necessary for the sensor shroud (slotted optical switch) and a knob for the lid.

I have not smiled too much during this project, but a knob job always makes me smile. The knob and hinge work perfectly together :)

EDIT: Wash your minds out with soap! The knob is simply there for lifting the lid.

Not wise to judge the reaction of others by how you would react to a statement or situation.
  • Not wise to judge the reaction of others by how you would react to a statement or situation.

You stated that very well :) My mind has always leaned towards the gutter, however, I should not expect everyone to have the same direction or inclination as my mind.
  • idbruceidbruce Posts: 6,197
    edited 2019-02-17 12:20
    UPDATE:

Whenever I get near the end of a project, I like to make what is called a "punch list", in the construction industry. A "punch list" is a list of all the items that need completion before it would meet the standards of a normal customer :)

Of course, I am far from normal, but I do have standards :) I have been accused of being a__l many times. :)

Anyhow, here is my punch list.

1. Make and attach the enclosure cover handles. DONE!
    2. Make and attach the cord wrapper. DONE!
    3. Drill the holes necessary for the window retainers. DONE!
    4. Cut the square for the acrylic laser window. DONE!
    5. Fabricate the window retainers.
    6. Complete the necessary circuitry.
    7. Prep and paint.

YEP... Be patient folks and you will see one nice looking prototype.
  • I am so very close to a perfect design. It is what it is. You judge :)
  • Well folks, I am now at another scary part of this project. Tonight, I will be cutting the opening for the acrylic window. I have truly been dreading this part of the project and I am not looking forward to it, but I will be glad when it is done.

Did I mention that I hate cutting sheet metal? :)

I will be attempting to make a nice cutout with a jigsaw, but if things start going South, I will then make a second attempt with a rotary tool.

If all goes well, then I can start prepping for paint, but I may finish the window retainers and circuitry first.

Wish me luck.
  • I now have the rough opening cut out for the viewing window. I must say that it turned out pretty good, however it was a stressful process. It is kind of late now and I must take care of my mother, so I will have to wait until tomorrow, to finish up the opening. After that, I think I will work on the window retainers.

It is coming along, slow, but sure.
    edited 2019-02-17 12:57
    UPDATE:

Since cutting the rough opening for the viewing window, the progress on this project has been going rather slowly. I suppose I can blame it on too much drinking and a lack of concentration. However, I did manage to finish off the opening for the viewing window. There are still some minor flaws, which would be either too difficult or very time consuming to remove. The remaining flaws are very hard to detect, so I am just going to let the flaws remain and call that finishing job "done".

After a lot of thought, I have definitely decided to hold off on the paint job until springtime, just to keep the dust and fumes out of the household. Additionally, postponing the paint job, will allow me to concentrate on finishing other remaining work and getting this small machine working. I only have a of couple weeks before I must start working outdoors again, so I need to finish as much as I can, as quickly as I can. With that in mind, I will begin working on the window retainers this morning. Previous drawings have indicated that there will be (10) ten window retainers, but due to complications, the number of window retainers has been reduced to (8) eight. It will alter the final look of the machine, but it also means less work for me. And of course, these window retainers have their own little complications. I imagine they will be time consuming and monotonous, but when they are "DONE", I will be glad. I should then be able to focus on the remaining circuitry and truing up the machine.
    edited 2019-02-18 17:14
    UPDATE:

I just got off the phone with the company that will be supplying the laser safety acrylic for my window. Before milling my window retainers, I wanted to know what kind of tolerances I could expect. After talking with this gentlemen, I have come to the conclusion that I will do all the necessary machining to the retainers, except the milling, which I will complete after getting the window.

Odds are that I will be posting new photos either tonight or tomorrow, before I start working on completing the circuitry.
    edited 2019-02-19 18:56
    UPDATE:

With the exception of doing some additional milling on the window retainers, after I get my window, all machining should be done at this point. I am sure happy about that.

Starting tonight, I will be putting all of my focus on completing the necessary circuitry and getting this little machine to run.

Oh yeah Baby!

EDIT: I almost forgot to mention that I will be uploading some new photos tonight, after I complete some necessary chores.
  • From the photos, you can clearly see that I am not the best photographer, but I think you may get the point that it is almost playtime :)
    714 x 529 - 56K
    696 x 619 - 55K
    819 x 760 - 77K
    746 x 652 - 68K
    918 x 870 - 109K
    918 x 894 - 95K
    714 x 1038 - 101K
    918 x 888 - 105K
    1112 x 560 - 100K
    918 x 1116 - 128K
    459 x 661 - 47K
  • That's a sweet looking machine there. Nice work!
  • now photoshop it to plumcrazy, well done.

Enjoy!

Mike
    edited 2019-02-20 23:25
    @cheezus - Thank you very much. I appreciate the compliment, because I put a lot of hard work, dedication, and thought into this project.

@msrobots
    now photoshop it to plumcrazy, well done.

Oh, I certainly wish it could be as simple as photoshop! The two gray enclosures are powder coated, which makes it much more difficult for me to prepare for paint. If they were both simply painted, I would use electrolysis to remove the old finish, but now, I have to work around the powder coat :(

Anyhow, I hope you like my interpretation of the handle you suggested :)
  • yes, I noticed.

It looks quite sturdy and heavy, did you put it on a scale?

curious,

Mike
  • LOL
    It looks quite sturdy and heavy, did you put it on a scale?

No scale, but I estimate about 35LBS.