Discussion: Laser Direct Imaging Of PCBs And The Propeller

1235»

Comments

• @Mike
    I am not sure about you 6 buttons.

If you can highlight or mark one item in the list, you need 2 buttons to scroll and one to select.

confirm could be the same as select, just pressed again.

back to parent is just selecting directory ".."

reset to current? what is that supposed to do?

As previously mentioned, it has been a while since I wrote and tested that code, but if I remember correctly, a single selection starts at the top of the list, then with each down button press, the selection is progressed with each down button press, until the bottom of the display is reached. When the bottom of the display has been reached, the items in the directory are scrolled upward upon each down button press, until the end of the directory has been reached.

According to the header file, there are six button command handlers, which are:
    void on_scroll_up_lcd();
    void on_scroll_down_lcd();
    void on_sel_file_dir();
    void on_confirm_sel();
    void on_reset_root();
    void on_up_level();

After thinking about what you said and looking at the command button handlers, I would have to agree that it could all be done with three buttons.
    on_sel_file_dir() just makes the current selection blink

on_confirm_sel() could be moved to on_sel_file_dir() which would monitor for a second press

on_reset_root() could be eliminated, but it is a nice feature if the directory structure is complex and you are deep into the structure.... With one button press, you are back at the root

on_up_level() is unnecessary and could also be eliminated. The same result could be accomplished by scrolling back up the display and selecting ".." However, the same as above, it saves a bunch of scrolling

I believe "reset to current" must have been eliminated.

I suppose the root could be reset by pressing and holding the scroll up button.

Anyhow, thanks for taking the time to comment, because it certainly got me to thinking about the code with more in depth thought. There is definitely some bloat as far as the handlers go :) and file navigation could easily be accomplished with just three buttons, as you have indicated.

@Jason

I have to agree, that is pretty darn slick for menu handling. I was researching your suggestion before heading off to sleep this morning, but I would have never imagined any menu handling like that shown in the video.

Going back to a previous comment of mine:
    At this point, I am beginning to think that I should supply the machine code via USB from a PC as compared to obtaining the machine code from a microSD card.

Perhaps, until I can prove whether the machine works or not, I should hold off on any interface for now, and just be content with reading a single file from an SD card. If it does work well enough for further experimentation, then I would also like to be able to control current to the laser, pulse width, etc... In which case, that rotary encoder would be a very nice solution, for setting a variety of machine parameters.

Thank You Mike and Jason

Novel Solutions - http://www.novelsolutionsonline.com/ - Machinery Design • - • Product Development
    "Necessity is the mother of invention." - Author unknown.

• potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 8,733
    edited May 19 Vote Up0Vote Down
    I use a device with a wheel button. Love it.

Card nav is simple.

Use wheel to pick card function.

Press button to use file, or enter directory.
    Use wheel to select parent directory icon, press to go to that directory.

Exit card menu, reenter for card root, or navigate back using parent directory function
    Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball! @opengeekorg ---> Be Excellent To One Another SKYPE = acuity_doug
    Parallax colors simplified: http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?123709-Commented-Graphics_Demo.spin<br>
  • potatohead
    I use a device with a wheel button. Love it.

Do you have a link to the device you are talking about?

Going back to a previous discussion between us.... After looking for a flat piece of sheet stock to use as the bed plate, I could not find anything that was even close to acceptable, unless I was to build a rigid frame, to pull out warpage, which I may do...

The other option is something similar to this: https://mcmaster.com/#3511t131/=17p7881

Pretty freakin' expensive

Novel Solutions - http://www.novelsolutionsonline.com/ - Machinery Design • - • Product Development

• T ChapT Chap Posts: 3,563
    edited May 20 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Use a 4.3 LCD cap touch screen. Create your own graphics for any number of buttons, up down menu etc. Rayman has an LCD interface module to connect to the Prop, example code, apps to convert 1bpp bitmaps to DAT for easy use with maybe 6 colors. There is an app called Pixelformer that is easy to make simple graphics for buttons, export as bitmap then load into Raymans app called 1 Bit Bitmap to convert to dat then load in spin very easily and place the graphic where you want. It is then easy to define the touch points on the screen and assign a touch to do what you want. You cannot go wrong learning how to put graphics on an LCD. It is then easy to scroll through text, jump to end, jump to top, go down 10, edit a line, save, save as, load. All very easy stuff. All the hard work has been done already. You can then have many buttons, scroll bars, etc.

http://www.rayslogic.com/propeller/Programming/1-BitBitmap/1-Bit Bitmaps.htm

If you don't have enough pins left over after driving the LCD, you can easily connect one Prop/LCD to another that is doing all the motor work.

1145 x 643 - 210K
    1083 x 641 - 102K
  • idbruceidbruce Posts: 5,375
    edited May 20 Vote Up0Vote Down
    T Chap

That also seems like a nice interface.
    Rayman has an LCD interface module to connect to the Prop

I looked, but I couldn't find the interface module. I will look again later.
    You cannot go wrong learning how to put graphics on an LCD.

I agree 100%, especially on a cap touch screen, just never took the time or invested the funds to do that, but still, I agree.

Much of this project depends on how the initial results turn out, especially in determining how much effort and money I will dump into it. There are many times that I get tempted to over-complicate issues during the test phase of a project and I believe the interface issue is currently one of them.

At this point, I think that I have most of the parts needed to make a bare bones machine and test, and perhaps that is what I should strive for, instead of more planning. Either way, thanks for sharing the info, because I have always liked the touch screens.