Welcome to the Parallax Discussion Forums, sign-up to participate.
DiverBob wrote: »
Made it to the hotel for tomorrow's Propellor Expo. Looking forward to seeing everyone.
I couldn't locate the power brick for my laptop which i planned on using to load the Quickstart propellor apps from until late last night and since it hadn't been powered on since last years Expo it had a 'lot' of updates to run. I may not have a leg under power for this showing but people can see the mechanical workings for themselves. I can definitely explain some of the design concepts and the direction I'm taking for the remainder of the project.
See you later!
photomankc wrote: »
Wow that sucker is taller than I thought!
DiverBob wrote: »
My wife heard the dreaded words, 'I'm going to re-design part of the robot'. She usually cringes and then asks how much it's going to cost... It seems she has had some experience with my redesigns. Anyway, I haven't been happy with the battery compartment and the way the power distribution is laid out. The setup is difficult to access and making changes requires quite a bit of disassembly to get to the parts. I've been thinking of ways to solve these issues and I came up with a new idea that moves all the power distribution down to the battery level, adds space for a second battery and provides much easier access.
The first photo is the original battery compartment. It was sized it to fit the battery exactly which doesn't leave any room for changes. The next photo shows the square box in the middle of the body that contains all the power distribution wiring. Its pretty full already and I've only wired up 3 legs; plus it takes up a lot of space. The third photo is the new battery compartment. It has a hex base and there is room for 2 batteries to stack on top of each other with room to spare. The 4th photo shows the battery placement with filter caps still leaves a lot of room for the power distribution relays and wiring. I'm heading down to the local boat surplus store in town and see what they have for 12v distribution modules. If I can find something already designed for power distribution it could look better than whatever I cobble together. I will mount a aluminum sheet in there vertically and put all the power distribution components on it so they are in one place and the board can be removed for modifications. There will be exterior panels all the way around the compartment to hide the inner workings.
The next item to solve was dealing with an issue I experienced at the Expo when I was attempting to put the legs back on the robot. The bottom bolts were very difficult to put in for each leg because the bolts are upside down and there is no way to easily line up the holes. This required some scrap 1/8 x 3 delron that was cut to provide alignment for the bottom of the leg. If needed I can do the same thing for the top bolts. The photos show the setup and how they work.
I got my 32 channel radio transmitter ready to go. This is a Q4 I got through the Quantum Robotics (http://www.quantumri.com/) Kickstarter project. The controller uses the XBee modules (I'm using the 60mW Series 1) and under the hood is a Parallax Propellor chip. So it is fully programmable for whatever you need with 4 joysticks (with pushbutton switch), 4 potentiometers, 6 toggle switches and 10 pushbutton switches. The only thing I had to add was a battery and the XBee module. I'm using a Prop Activity board for testing the transmitter and initial connections to the robot. I think this will be a great way to control the robot with plenty of ways to send commands to it. I'll be looking for some example codes to play with and get used to the setup.
I had to order some more stuff tonight, ran out of ring crimp connectors and 2 and 3 wire connectors. I was soldering all the motor leads, microswitches and potentiometer outputs for the computers and got most of them completed. I'll finish the soldering once they show up.
Publison wrote: »
Are you going to do the receiver portion by youself. I thought that these guys where going to come through with a receiver, but as far as I can tell, they have not.
garyg wrote: »
What I like the most about this message thread is that you are doing a complete mechanical build
before concerning yourself about actually programming.
The programming is what actually makes a project like this work,
The mechanical build is actually what makes it real.
jdolecki wrote: »
Where or what are u using for the connectors on the Coxa motors. I have the same ones from surplus but with the lead screw. And I can't find the connector big enough to slide over the spade.
jdolecki wrote: »
On tv the show Nova, making things faster part 2 had about 5 seconds of video of your style robot