Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
ARLISS Team NH - Page 52 — Parallax Forums

ARLISS Team NH

Comments

• Chase St. LaurentChase St. Laurent Posts: 17
    edited 2011-04-11 17:13
    Jake said:

Chase- I like the idea. I think i could see how that would work, but we would have to make sure that the wheel landed in just the right position every time.

Dylan- We don't need to steer, we just need to use a single "engine" to power some sort of rod that goes between the two wheels.

As for the release mechanism, we now have several ideas running around, so lets try to have a couple prototypes ready for this next weekend.

Thanks,
    -Jake-

Hi,

I built a prototype using legos of a single motor drive train and am currently trying to build the idea I had for the parachute deployment. I will most likely have this also for our meeting on Sunday.

Thanks,
    Chase
  • PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2011-04-11 18:01
    Somebody queried, "... don't we need the servos to go in different directions for the ASP-BOT to move forward? "

Here is the link that answers that very question, again -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0iForm5LQs

Watch it as many times as you need, take notes, and report back same.
    Where did I go wrong? :)

Dylan,
    "Space" will be a non-issue. I've yet to finish the adapter, and I'll post photos when I've finished, but if having connectors plugged into the X4 header before was not a problem then it won't be with this either.
  • Mark KiblerMark Kibler Posts: 546
    edited 2011-04-11 18:35
    P.J and Mr. Kibler,
    Andrew and I have looked at the servoPal before, but it was a solution to a different problem. Like you have both been saying, I too believe that it seems like our best option to still controlling two servos.
    Although this brings up another problem, space. But I believe that we can mount all of this together on the ASP-Bot's platform.

Dylan,

I agree with PJ: if we use the smaller ServoPal, space doesn't seem to be a problem. I laid the CO2 sensor, ADC board, shortwave transmitter, MAWD battery case, etc. atop the platform and there *seems* to be enough space there. We may have to move the primary 3300 mAh power supply to the underside of the BOE platform though ("the bottom"-- see pictures above) but we'll find out by midweek. I'm driving down to Manchester to Batteries Plus tomorrow or Wednesday with the ASP-BOT to see what they have for lithium batteries that will fit the space we have. Then we will have all the parts...

...except for the parachute release mechanism and the ServoPal or servo controllers! Dylan and Andrew, please let PJ know what your plan is with the servo controller he offered you. We'll need to figure our where it goes when we meet on Sunday.

We'll need to make a parachute release device that really works. Then, like all engineers, we may have to make the size of the device fit the space we have (or don't have) available. Chase and Justin, I'm eager to see your ideas. You'll probably working together on Sunday so be sure to bring all your sketches and prototypes. Please don't leave any of them behind.

Emily, Andrew, Dylan, Jake-- anyone I gave kits to, please bring your BOE's, BOE-BOTS, wires, servos, etc. on Sunday.

Mr. Kibler
    :cool:
    edited 2011-04-11 18:38
    PJ Allen wrote: »
    Somebody [Emily} queried, "... don't we need the servos to go in different directions for the ASP-BOT to move forward? "

Here is the link that answers that very question, again -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0iForm5LQs

I love the background music...!

ARLISS Rocketeers,

PJ asked you to watch the video he made (above) and to REPORT BACK. We're both waiting to see what you report. Please do this tonight.

Mr. Kibler
    edited 2011-04-11 18:43
    Emily Rose wrote: »
    Hey guys,
    This may sound stupid but don't we need the servos to go in different directions for the ASP-BOT to move forward?

There are no "stupid" questions, Emily. Only questions. Thanks for asking your question. Did you see the video PJ's made for us (*with the cool background music?)

M. Kibler, Scientist
    edited 2011-04-11 18:49
    OK, everybody, attached is a zip folder containing pics of the extender-adapter.

I didn't bring the "Alarm" pin back to the BoE side; not connected = non-issue.

It's about 7-8in., stranded wire, and should be easily routable as needed.
    It might be advantageous to apply some black electrical tape around the board before final placement.

Seeing is believing?
    640 x 480 - 61K
    640 x 480 - 63K
    640 x 480 - 61K
    640 x 480 - 55K
    640 x 480 - 58K
    640 x 480 - 56K
    640 x 480 - 54K
    640 x 480 - 67K
    640 x 480 - 70K
    edited 2011-04-11 19:00
    OK, everybody, attached is a zip folder containing pics of the extender-adapter.

I didn't bring the "Alarm" pin back to the BoE side; not connected = non-issue.

It's about 7-8in., stranded wire, and should be easily routable as needed.
    It might be advantageous to apply some black electrical tape around the board before final placement.

Seeing is believing?

"What you see is what you get."

--- Geesh, the Servopal is much smaller than I imagined! It looks like it's inserted in-line between two servo wires. Is that accurate? It looks like the two separate servo wires connect to the ServoPal and then to P13 and P14 (or whichever.) Then the Servopal's pins plug into the breadboard --->? WHERE do they go in the breadboard and which PIN's do the pins go to? Let me re-read the tech specs...

====================

Yes, I see now:

Summary:

The ServoPAL is a tiny module that plugs in between your BASIC Stamp and two servo motors to pulse the motors so your PBASIC program doesn't have to. In addition, it provides an “alarm clock” function to perform timing in the background while the BASIC Stamp is busy with other tasks. **[that answers my question about the alarm output/ alarm clcok function]

Features:

Plugs in between servo headers and servos: no wiring necessary.

Simplifies PBASIC programming for both standard and continuous-rotation servos.

Pulses two servos continuously based on single pulses received from the BASIC Stamp.

Provides an alarm output (200mS to 30 min delay), which can be set by a single pulse.

All interfacing is done by pulsing: no serial protocols to learn.

Runs from the servo's power (up to 6.5VDC): no additional power source needed.

Mark
    edited 2011-04-11 19:10
    I've yet to finish the adapter, and I'll post photos when I've finished, but if having connectors plugged into the X4 header before was not a problem then it won't be with this either.

So you MADE the adapter we see in the pictures? It's a work of art. Impressive. Professional. Bravissimo! I think the ServoPal is just the thing. Now if Dylan and Andrew would just reply...
    edited 2011-04-11 20:43
    Mark,
    I think you've got it. The ServoPal goes between the servo header and the servo connectors, interfaces between the two.
    I was going to gently hack [!!] the ServoPal's BoE header. Then I thought it'd have greater utility by making the extension-adapter for your application.
    Please send me a PM with your address so that I can get this in the mail to you, possibly in time for your next build session.
    edited 2011-04-12 03:56
    Mark,
    I think you've got it. The ServoPal goes between the servo header and the servo connectors, interfaces between the two.
    I was going to gently hack [!!] the ServoPal's BoE header. Then I thought it'd have greater utility by making the extension-adapter for your application.
    Please send me a PM with your address so that I can get this in the mail to you, possibly in time for your next build session.

Yawn...

Off to school!

Mark
    edited 2011-04-12 05:40
    When you Log In, you can click on my name (above my 'avatar'), a little window comes up and there's a 'thing' to click that reads "Private Message" - that's how you PM.
    Please check your Inbox.
    edited 2011-04-12 07:20
    When you Log In, you can click on my name (above my 'avatar'), a little window comes up and there's a 'thing' to click that reads "Private Message" - that's how you PM.
    Please check your Inbox.

The things I'm learning about the Parallax website, and programming. Thansk fro the tutorial(s), PJ. I checked my PM inbox and there are MESSAGES there. Isn't technology great? I never knew that feature was there.

Thanks: for the lesson, the PM, and the package. I'll be looking for it.

<Mark>
  • Jake GoldsberryJake Goldsberry Posts: 85
    edited 2011-04-12 10:02
    Pj- I do believe the rest of the team would agree with me if I come out and state that yes, we would absolutely love to obtain a ServoPal from you. I'm sure the other teamates will be telling you the same soon. Thanks so much for all the help.

Chase- How is the prototype coming? I'm curious to see it work! I'm wondering how the piece that releases the parachute when it lands will stay in before it hits the ground. I hope that makes sense.

All- I think it would be best if maybe we started an ARLISS TEAM NEW HAMPSHIRE page on Youtube so we could post our ideas and the videos to see them work. It would be best this way because we could compare them.

Justin and Emily- Any new ideas for prototypes? I think we almost have enough to start the prototyping phase again, but maybe one or two ideas more.

Thanks again,
    -Jake-
    edited 2011-04-12 15:46
    Everybody,
    OK, just wanted to confirm that the assembly is on its way to the Hacienda Kibler. As it's a Priority Mail package, it ought to be there by Saturday (or earlier.)
    edited 2011-04-12 16:06
    Everybody,
    OK, just wanted to confirm that the assembly is on its way to the Hacienda Kibler. As it's a Priority Mail package, it ought to be there by Saturday (or earlier.)

Hacienda Kibler. Now that's cute. I can almost see the steers and the open range (*if it wasn't for all these trees.)

Dylan, Andrew, E,ily, Obie, Jake, Justin, Chase (who else have I forgotten?) - What PJ is saying is that he made (as in fabricated) you a servo wiring harness AND he's sending you an early Christmas present: a ServoPal to run both of your servomotors!

Let's all remember to say, "Thank you, PJ!!" a thousand times over.

Thanks, PJ ~ ! I can't tell you how much I appreciate you sharing your expertise, and your kind generosity. :smile:

I'm off the Batteries Plus with Mrs. K. to get the battery for the rover. Adios amigos ~ checking in later.

From chez Kibler,

Monsieur Kibler
  • Justin DaCostaJustin DaCosta Posts: 59
    edited 2011-04-12 17:13
    Hi Everyone,

I have a few things to say in this post:
    1. Thank you PJ for all of the help you have given us, programming and mechanical. Hopefully the ServoPal will solve our wheel problems. So THANK YOU!!!!!!!!
    2. A few pages back Jake asked me to put my prototype through the paces. I said I could not because of the materials it was built with. Currently I am working on a wooden prototype that replicates the stresses that would actually be put on the ASP-BOT during the fall. I am just in the process of putting on the wheels so I should be able to do that testing soon, or at least bring it to the meeting.
    3. I think that having a youtube channel would be beneficial as a video explanation can be much more comprehensive than a plain written one.
    See you all at the meeting Sunday.

Justin
  • Dylan LandryDylan Landry Posts: 235
    edited 2011-04-12 19:18
    To address a few matters,

First of all, THANK YOU P.J.
    From fabricating a working servoPal for us to helping us ultimately complete the program, we couldn't of done it without you.
    Apologize for my late posts. I am on the School track team and have had two hour long practices on some days, and a meet today, so time is limited for me.
    About the Youtube Channel..
    I do believe it *could* be a help, but it is trivial to us in order of our goals at this point in time.
    Mr. Kibler,
    Just due to some critical thinking, the servo's don't HAVE to be spinning in opposite directions for it to move forward, there are other ways to tackle that. Having them move opposite directions is just the logical way for our needs, as well to fit our space constraints.
    edited 2011-04-12 20:53
    I don't know why this is such a difficult concept to grasp, friends. The ServoPal is capable of running the (2) servos in all combinations of clockwise and counterclockwise, together and opposite each other, even at different speeds. To address this "concept gap", I wrote and posted a simple program and linked to a video that I made demonstrating all of those possibilities.
    If anybody has any doubt/s or cannot figure the deal he has only to observe (an important aspect of science) that video as I previously "urged" and he will get it - that's all.

-- PJA --
  • Dylan LandryDylan Landry Posts: 235
    edited 2011-04-12 21:05
    I understood the concept behind the ServoPal, I just wanted to state that there are ways of moving forward with both going the same direction, and that it is possible.
    edited 2011-04-12 21:37
    I understood the concept behind the ServoPal, I just wanted to state that there are ways of moving forward with both going the same direction, and that it is possible.

Discussing alternate methods of moving the rover forward with two servos rotating in the same direction, while possible, is a moot point. While I agree that it's theoretically possible (we could rebuild the whole platform and flip one servo 180 degrees, for example) we've agreed to use a simpler solution: the ServoPal PJ sent in the mail today. As he mentioned, simply observe the video and you'll see the it can be programmed to move two servos in all kinds of different directions.

I got the battery for the rover at Batteries Plus tonight (*I had to take Mrs. K to dinner as part of the deal. Mexican food. Yummy!) The battery is 7.2 volts and 4000 mAh and it's rechargeable. It lays along the underside of the lower platform just perfectly.

Off to bed. "Sleepy time, she comes." ~ From 'Master of Disguise', (Pistachio Disguisi)

MK
  • Obie WanObie Wan Posts: 46
    edited 2011-04-14 03:58
    Thank you very much PJ for your time and knowledge. You are a life-saver. We really appreciate all that you've done for us. I can't wait to get back to work on the ASP-bot this Sunday, even though I wish it was sooner.

Any more updates on the parachute release mechanism Emily, Jake, or Justin?

Mr. Kibler, are we set on battery power or we need more? If so then, Emily, can you still get those cell phone batteries?

I hope everyone has a great week. Agian thank you PJ.

Obie
    edited 2011-04-14 05:28
    Obie Wan;992159

Mr. Kibler, are we set on battery power or we need more? If so then, Emily, can you still get those cell phone batteries?

Obie

I bought a 4000 milliamp hour (mAh) rechargeable battery at Batteries Plus ($70!) but we do need 9 volt alkaline batteries for the MAWD. I've asked everyone to bring two 9-volt batteries to prcatice on Sunday and to bring in all your Parallax parts ====> BOE, wires, servos, etc. We'll need them.

UPDATE: The MAWD isn't recording data to the flash drive but it is "beeping" out the altitude. We need to figure out why on Sunday:

1) Wiring?

2) Bad wire?

3) Program error?

4) Use error?

Also, we should have the ServoPal and the wiring harness that PJ bought for us by the weekend. We'll be working on wiring these to the servos and finishing (?) the program... and don't forget the parachute release mechanism! Gonna be a busy practice to get all this done.
    edited 2011-04-14 13:11
    Hi all- First off, I'm lead to believe that the MAWD is not recording altitude because of wiring. Wether it be bad wiring or a bad wire, I'm not sure, but considering it still beeps out the altitude (correct me if i'm wrong about the beeping) then i'd guess a bad wire, not bad wiring.

Secondly, I finally have A prototype built out of Legos (robotics) and it is fully operational. The only thing that might work better for the device I have now would be a hook instead of a pin. I'm working on building a logical hook. You'll see what I mean on Sunday, as I am still confused with the whole upload a video thing. Hopefully tonight I may have a video up.

How are all the other prototypes coming along?

Thanks once again PJ,

-Jake-

P.S How does chocolate covered rice-crispies sound for a snack Sunday?
    edited 2011-04-14 13:34
    Thanks once again PJ!

How does chocolate covered rice-crispies sound for a snack Sunday?

Mmmmmmmmm! Chocolate covered rice-crispies have my vote!

I'm lead to believe that the MAWD is not recording altitude because of wiring. Whether it be bad wiring or a bad wire, I'm not sure, but considering it still beeps out the altitude (correct me if i'm wrong about the beeping) then i'd guess a bad wire, not bad wiring.

Good news X2

1) The MAWD is sending data to the Data Logger beautifully. I simply switched the MAWD and its wire for another one. I suspect it was the MAWD that wasn't put our datat because I sent it back to PerfectFlite this winter to have it looked at. I'll upload graphs of the data later this evening.

2) PJ's package JUST (5 minutes ago) came in the mail today. I'll open it later and check it out.

Should we wait until the weekend when everyone's at practice to plug the wiring harness and the ServoPal into the servos? Or should I connect it so Dylan and Andrew can move ahead with programming?

What does everyone think about Skype-ing with PJ during practice on Sunday around 1:30 ---> 4:00 (if he's available and willing?) That would be cool to teleconference with him and have him walk you through the programming "real time"...!

Back later

~ Kibler
    edited 2011-04-14 16:19
    Mr. Kibler- Skyping PJ would be great! I think we could all benifit from that alot. I'm also glad to hear that it was a faulty wire! that is very good news. Also, I'm glad the ServoPal came today! That will be very helpful. Seems like a very good day indeed. Finally, would you like me to bring in my prototype to school tomorrow so you can see it? I think it has a lot of potential, and I am very excited to show it in action. The only problem is (finally not to do with the parachute release mechanism) that my RCX 1.0 robotics controller seems to have "kicked the can", and I can't seem to find a solution.

Would it at all be possible for someone to bring a robotics controller to practice (Justin?) so anyone who has a robotics prototype can use it without interfering? Thanks.

Thanks again,
    -JAKE-
    edited 2011-04-14 16:39
    ...would you like me to bring in my prototype to school tomorrow so you can see it? I think it has a lot of potential, and I am very excited to show it in action.

Jakester ~ Yes, definitely bring your prototype to school tomorrow. I'd really like to see it.
    The only problem is... my RCX 1.0 robotics controller seems to have "kicked the can", and I can't seem to find a solution.

Will a Lego Mindstorms 1.5 or 2.0 RCX work? I think I have one you can use. Let me know tonight here on the forum and I'll bring it to school tomorrow.

Mr. Kibler
  • Obie WanObie Wan Posts: 46
    edited 2011-04-14 16:58
    It would be wonderful for all of us to be there to see the addition of the servoPal but I think it would be best that we install it so the programing team can move on. Forward unto Dawn.

Skyping PJ sounds like a great idea, so long as it is not from my computer. :D

And did you say chocolate? I love chocolate.
    It's nice to be back

Obie
    edited 2011-04-14 18:13
    ]Mr. Kibler- I hope you get this in time but I do believe either RXCs will work. Thanks! (Sorry about the late posting!)

And as a final note (in other words I forgot to post this earlier) The 8th grade has our D.C trip next week. I do not know if the hotel we will be staying has WiFi and if we will be able to use it. I doubt the teachers will let me use a computer somewhere. Hopefully, the WiFi will be free from the room and I can access the forums from my Ipod. Any suggestions on what to do if it isn't free? It is definitely not responsible of me to take a "vacation" from ARLISS while on the trip. Am I even aloud to use internet in the room? Do you know any of this from past experience Mr. Kibler?

Hope this will work out!
    -Jake-
    edited 2011-04-14 18:21

...The 8th grade has our D.C trip next week. I do not know if the hotel we will be staying has WiFi and if we will be able to use it. I doubt the teachers will let me use a computer somewhere. Hopefully, the WiFi will be free from the room and I can access the forums from my Ipod. Any suggestions on what to do if it isn't free? It is definitely not responsible of me to take a "vacation" from ARLISS while on the trip. Am I even aloud to use internet in the room? Do you know any of this from past experience Mr. Kibler?

Hmmmmmm.... I wonder what your teachers would say if I sent a laptop computer along with you on the DC trip as science homework. Hey, wait a minute. I AM one of your teachers! (*you would need to ask your parents if that's OK first.) Remind me in school tomorrow and I'll run it by the other teachers to see what sort of a response I get. I do know the hotel you're staying at has Wifi. In fact, I think there's even a computer in the lobby of the hotel. You COULD just call the hotel and ask. Or check out their website on-line.

I'll bring you another Lego RCX tomorrow. Please come and see me in home room.

Mr. Kibler
    edited 2011-04-14 18:34
    Okay thanks! I'll run it by my parents and see what they think! That would be very convenient wouldn't it! However, wouldn't the laptop need WiFi as well, so if they did have WiFi I could just use my Ipod. I think that would be more practical space wise and more safe. What do you think? And I will check again on there website in the morning. Bed time for me!

Thanks so much!
    -Jake-