Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
3.5" LCD touchscreens: Now Available for $10 each. - Page 3 — Parallax Forums

3.5" LCD touchscreens: Now Available for $10 each.

13»

Comments

• RaymanRayman Posts: 13,859
    edited 2011-03-04 13:57
    Chuck from Mountain King Technologies just sent me a laser cut acrylic enclosure for the PTP.

I know I made it very difficult for him with the board layout... But, somehow, he pulled it off.
    As a bonus, it's also a 3D puzzle :), but it only took me 15 minutes to solve it...

Anyway, great job Chuck! And thanks!
    1024 x 568 - 84K
  • David BetzDavid Betz Posts: 14,511
    edited 2011-03-04 14:11
    That looks pretty cool. Is it for sale? Do you have a URL for Mountain King Technologies?

Edit:

I found it myself. I made a typo in my first Google search which is why I didn't find it right off the bat.

Here's the URL:

http://www.mountainkingtech.com/
    edited 2011-03-05 05:28
    BTW: I've started looking into ways to use these screens with less pins...
    One thing I noticed right away is that the VSYNC and HSYNC signals aren't really used in the mode the driver defaults to: "DE" mode.

Anyway, if you want to recover P16 and P17 for other purposes, use the the driver in the attached example.

If I ever to a redesign, I think I can recover even more pins. In that case, I'll use P16 and P17 to increase the color depth from 6-bit to 8-bit. That will expand the color range past the TV driver...
  • avsa242avsa242 Posts: 429
    edited 2011-03-05 08:58
    I just got one of these, too, in the fluorescent blue color. The build instructions seemed a bit tricky to digest at first, but it looks fantastic when it's put together and it's so nice to finally have a home for the PTP! Thanks a lot Rayman for the PTP and thanks Chuck for the enclosure!

Cheers,
    Jesse
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2011-03-05 10:54
    Here's a picture of my PTP in its home.

UniverseRemote.jpg

There's a second Prop in there to monitor the keypad, encoders, RF link, Wii Nunchuck connector, etc.

It's main purpose is to control some custom lab equipment but I also use it to control robots and soon TVs and and other IR devices.

There is room in there for a battery, I just haven't put one in yet. (Probably a two cell LiPo.)

I know a keypad is redundant on a touchscreen, but hey, I like buttons.

Sorry about the picture quality. If I used a flash, it washed out the screen.

Duane
    427 x 516 - 79K
    edited 2011-03-06 04:12
    Duane, looks neat, thanks for sharing the photo!

I'd also like to do a touchscreen remote control someday...
  • RS_JimRS_Jim Posts: 1,753
    edited 2011-03-06 05:10
    Ray,
    are these still available?
    RS_Jim
    edited 2011-03-06 07:26
    Yes, very. See my website for more info. I've also started shipping the "PTP shield" to GadgetGangster.com to sell...