Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Homebuilt Robotic Platform AKA Retrobot - Page 5 — Parallax Forums

Homebuilt Robotic Platform AKA Retrobot

1235»

Comments

• ercoerco Posts: 20,244
    edited 2011-01-21 17:49
    Sweet Bot, Duane! Nice customization. Way to adapt & overcome. Plywood brothers for life, right Dawg? :)
  • agfaagfa Posts: 295
    edited 2011-01-22 05:38
    Very nice, Duane! Especially the quality of the custom hubs.

agfa
  • xnonoxxnonox Posts: 6
    edited 2011-03-15 22:02
    This is my Omni Boebot

IMG_0359.jpg

4 omni wheels

IMG_0360.jpg

camera, Basic Stamp board, 2 batteries, 2 HB-25, PS2 controller receiver

IMG_0361.jpg

The omni wheel is from a toy that I bought at goodwill

Thinking to add two more motor controller, so I can use the full potential of the omni wheel
    1024 x 768 - 79K
    1024 x 768 - 89K
    1024 x 768 - 74K
    edited 2011-03-15 23:43
    xnonox: Thanks for your pics and resurrecting my "thread that will not die".

Neat bot, great use of surplus Vex omniwheels and hardboard!
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2011-03-16 07:41
    xnonox, Cool robot.

I like omni wheels. I personally like the triangle layout for these kind of omni wheels. Peoples first impression is usually to think it shouldn't be able to move.

You could get you bot fully "omni" with just one more motor controller, but you need to switch to a triangle configuration (and pretty much have to rebuild your bot).

@erco, I don't think xnonox is using "Vex" omni wheels. I don't think I've ever seen those specific omni wheels before. The original toy much have been unusual.
    edited 2011-03-16 08:54
    Good call, Duane! Looks more like Tyco Triclops wheels, not Vex. I should know better, those guys sit right down the aisle from me.

http://www.amazon.com/Mattel-Triclops-Radio-Control-Vehicle/dp/B000QSNGL6

The programmer on the Triclops vehicle took great delight in achieving rotation while translating in a straight line, quite a kinematic challenge!
    edited 2011-03-16 10:34
    Why'd you have to say
    achieving rotation while translating in a straight line, quite a kinematic challenge!

I thought I had put that particular use of time out of my mind.

Dang it. Another item for my todo list. (I think I could do it too.)

Edit: Was the rotation and translation under manual control or did the programmer program the robot to move in a straight line while rotating? If it's the former, then I've done that already. I want to update my robots code to be able to rotate as it travels in a straight line autonomously.
    edited 2011-03-16 10:49
    It was all programmed and very slick. He had lots of great routines that never made it into production, sadly!
    edited 2011-03-16 11:00
    Okay, I'm back to being impressed.

I put a Ping type sensor on my robot for obstacle detection but it had a limited field of view. I thought of adding a servo to rotate the sensor but thought it would be better to rotate the whole robot since it didn't matter which way was "front". If, I mean when, I get back to this project, I'll probably add a circle of LEDs so the "front" can have a visual indicator.
  • xnonoxxnonox Posts: 6
    edited 2011-03-18 22:49
    yup , the wheels were pulled off from two set of tyco tri-clops.
    I just didnt have the 3rd motor control when i design this robot.
    I didnt know the tri-clops can do spinning while moving in a straight line.
    I am very impressed too.
    I ll definitely add this move to my robot.