Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Video overlay / mixing separate video signals — Parallax Forums

Video overlay / mixing separate video signals

LukeHLukeH Posts: 22
edited 2010-10-05 19:37 in Propeller 1
Here is something I want to try.

I have a small video camera (outputing regular color composite video) that I can install on a robot/vehicle/wall/whatever. I would like to use the Prop's composite video output to overlay some numeric/textual information over the video that the camera outputs. Like time, heading, altitude, etc.

1) is this even possible? I suspect there will be some challenges involving lining up the video synchronization.

2) what would be the basic concepts of operation? Would I have to isolate the sync signal from the camera, inject it into the prop, then muddle around with the prop TV driver? or is it something more fundamental? or perhaps simpler? I am only vaguely familiar with how a TV signal is put together. Thankfully, I just bought a PropScope and have been spending hours dissecting various signals :) Thanks to Parallax for putting Propscope on the daily deal last week!

3) What external circuitry would be required? Could it be built out of parts from a very well stocked parts bin, or would I have to buy some specialized hardware?

Thanks in advance

Luke

Comments

• hover1hover1 Posts: 1,929
    edited 2010-10-05 15:49
    I think the Propeller Backpack is what you want. Can overlay text on top of video. No need to put composite out of the Prop, just numbers.

http://www.parallax.com/StoreSearchResults/tabid/768/txtSearch/backpack/List/0/SortField/4/ProductID/602/Default.aspx

Jim
  • TimmooreTimmoore Posts: 1,031
    edited 2010-10-05 16:01
    I use a prop backpack for doing this. I have a camera connected to a backpack and the backpack output to a wireless transmitter.
    The default firmware for the backpack doesn't do overlay but the firmware is available on the backpack webpage.
  • LukeHLukeH Posts: 22
    edited 2010-10-05 16:11
    Timmoore wrote: »
    I use a prop backpack for doing this. I have a camera connected to a backpack and the backpack output to a wireless transmitter.
    The default firmware for the backpack doesn't do overlay but the firmware is available on the backpack webpage.

That's pretty much exactly what I plan to do... I have a super-compact 5 watt 900MHz band amateur TV transmitter that I intend to embed, along with the camera, into various remote-controlled prop-driven evil plans of mine.

Good thing I just bought 3 prop backpacks last week when they were 40% off!!

Thanks guys, any further suggestions keep 'em coming