Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Parallax's 12V Modular Wheel and Motor Mounts - Feedback Requested! - Page 5 — Parallax Forums

Parallax's 12V Modular Wheel and Motor Mounts - Feedback Requested!

Comments

• Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
    edited 2007-08-29 23:22
    Take a break and watch a DVD or something. You'll get better more quickly. The forums won't dissappear if you take a break from us. We miss you around here.

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.

Post Edited (Ken Gracey (Parallax)) : 8/29/2007 11:28:02 PM GMT
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    edited 2007-08-30 00:03
    Chris,

Hope you are on your feet soon!

undefinedattachment.php?attachmentid=48944

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Whit+

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
    feet.bmp 313.3K
  • MigsMigs Posts: 95
    edited 2007-08-31 12:52
    Dear Ken:

Just a thought: The tires look a bit "antiquated". Is there a possibility of making them have a wider and "squarer" profile? This would improve contact with the ground, thus making them more useful in a robot combat arena. I would also like to see a keyway slot system rather than a pin, since it would perform better. Aside from that the machined aluminum looks really nice!

Regards,

Miguel Reznicek

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "Sometimes we forget that the world itself is paradise." Douglas Coupland, 'Microserfs'
    "If the doors of perception were cleansed every thing would appear to man as it is, infinite" - William Blake
    "We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same." Carlos Castaneda
    "One single grateful thought raised to heaven is the most perfect prayer. " G. E. Lessing
    “How much of human life is lost in waiting.” Ralph Waldo Emerson
    "Men often mistake notoriety for fame, and would rather be remembered for their vices and follies than not be noticed at all.” Harry Truman
    My website: www.intoku.net my e-mail:mreznicek@pretensa.com me:Miguel Reznicek
    edited 2007-08-31 15:43
    Miguel,

Perhaps I could find more square tires, but until now I have not. One problem we face with products like this is we can only have one style of tire. If we have two styles, it can be difficult to obtain a quantity discount from the tire manufacturer. Our initial tire purchase is very high - 2,000 units. If we found a more "square" tire we could have committed to it, but it's too late now. The keyway is perhaps more flexible than a pin, but their performance is equal in this application.

Ken Gracey
    edited 2007-08-31 16:23
    A few of you have asked about availability, so I'm providing an update.

Production could have started by now, but it took longer than expected when we modified the design for an encoder, or what we will refer to as a "position controller". This involved designing and molding an encoder disk which is now shown below, and designing and incorporating the electronics into the wheel mount. We're working quickly and aiming to get this product to market as soon as possible so we've all got something fun to do during the Fall. Nearly everything is finished except for the electronics, which are in the first article stage.

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.

attachment.php?attachmentid=48964
    1024 x 768 - 255K
  • StampNut2StampNut2 Posts: 224
    edited 2007-08-31 19:39
    Looking good, Any idea of the final cost of this bot?.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Never give up when things go wrong.
    edited 2007-08-31 20:51
    Migs said...
    Dear Ken:

Just a thought: The tires look a bit "antiquated". Is there a possibility of making them have a wider and "squarer" profile? This would improve contact with the ground, thus making them more useful in a robot combat arena.

Migs,
    Earlier in this thread, the issue of tires was address, Ken replied at the time...
    Ken said...
    these are standard 6" tires from electric scooters. Tires with other styles of treads are available, too. ·There are some tires with thicker treads and knobs. Do a Google search for 6" scooter tire.
    If you do·a search, you will be amazed at what you can find.

Hey Ken,
    The encoders look great. I'd love to hear about developing the electronics to go with them, but it probably would give away some secrets too early, eh? This·product·is going to be so much fun! Have a great long weekend.
    StampNut2 said...
    ·Any idea of the final cost of this bot?.
    I did a little estimate further back on this thread. Ken said it was pretty close for the total package, but we probably all have some of the stuff already.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Whit+

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney

Post Edited (Whit) : 8/31/2007 8:58:19 PM GMT
    edited 2007-09-01 07:05
    Whit, I had to go back to find it. I forgot you posted that.

* Motor and Wheels $200
    * Pair of HB-25s $80
    * Battery w/charger $50 - is this a good estimate?
    * Metal and misc bits $20
    * BOE and Stamp $116

Making the Total about $466 or with other sensors and gizmos $600 or so

Looks like all I will need is the motor and wheels, I have everything else except any additional electronics.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2007-09-03 01:08
    StampNut2,

I need a pair of HB-25s and the battery/charger (and the motors and wheels). It is going to be fun! I working on some design ideas for the chassis and platform.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Whit+

Post Edited (Whit) : 9/20/2007 12:36:00 PM GMT
    edited 2007-09-03 05:41
    Whit,

Good to hear whit, I have just ordered another pair of HB25's as I don't want to dismantle my other robotic base unit, They are going cheaper at the moment. I just hope it's not going to cost me the earth to get the motors and gear box's to NZ, The rest I can build myself. What processor and board are you going to use Whit?? I have also just received my uOLED screen, Very nice too.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2007-09-04 16:41
    Dave A in Tech Support will be following up on the measurements and specs for this robot. He's been studying this in detail lately. More to come! Take care everyone and thanks for your good wishes!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    edited 2007-09-04 17:29
    StampNut2 said...
    Whit,

·What processor and board are you going to use Whit?
    I have two BOEs. So I will start with that. Later, I want to get a prop and after I've learned it - upgrade to it.

Chris, Glad you are back to work! Happy Anniversary to you all.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Whit+

• dandreaedandreae Posts: 1,375
    edited 2007-09-05 17:03
    Chris Savage (Parallax) said...
    Dave A in Tech Support will be following up on the measurements and specs for this robot. He's been studying this in detail lately. More to come! Take care everyone and thanks for your good wishes!

The dimensions for the chassis regarding the robot are:

Outer frame·12 1/2" W X·14"·L

Inside Support bars (2)·are 11 3/4" in length

The material used is 6160 aluminum square tubing 1" X 1"

Dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dave Andreae

Parallax Tech Support

Post Edited (Dave Andreae (Parallax)) : 9/5/2007 5:17:38 PM GMT
    edited 2007-09-05 18:36
    Thanks Dave!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Whit+

• MarkSMarkS Posts: 342
    edited 2007-09-08 01:17
    I have some question that I do not think were answered.

First, is the 40 pound rating per motor or per pair?
    Second, is the bearing block's design set in stone? If it is, can I get the technical drawings?

I'd like to start working on my robot's design, but those issues need to be address before I can begin.

Also, does the HB-25's fan pull air in towards the PCB or push it out? I was thinking about mounting them on the robot's base (going to be solid PVC plate), with the fans pointing down through vents, but that's a problem if they suck air in.

BTW Ken, awesome design! I'd much rather spend some extra money on custom CNC machined parts than a cheap, mass-produced, stamped/molded/etc., parts.

Post Edited (MarkS) : 9/8/2007 4:14:06 AM GMT
  • cyplesmacyplesma Posts: 76
    edited 2007-09-08 04:09
    whit

depends on the battery. If you use a gel cell that is what they are designed for.

look for UPS, electric scooter, wheel chair batteries, and some motorcycle batteries.

the end products look great!!!

a little pricey (per my lifestyle) but definitely a cool design.

a right angle for outdoor clearance would be good, but I guess if one found a wheel that still mounts to the shaft, that should do it.

or instead of mounting the motor mounts at the bottom of the frame the way you have it. You simply extend a support below
    the frame to give more clearance that way

it may not be a bad idea to make those mounts motorless, so a non motor wheel can be mounted especially
    for something like I have in the picture .
  • cyplesmacyplesma Posts: 76
    edited 2007-09-08 15:37
    I got a silly question about the output shaft on these motor mounts......

Would Parallax be making a type of output shaft extension?

something that a universal connector can be mounted to or would we just need to go to the "robotrector" sets?
    edited 2007-09-08 20:20
    I HATE weekends...

thinking-009.GIFothers-245.gif
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2007-09-09 11:00
    I think the price is reasonable provided in pairs. Why would you buy just one?

The real problem is that mechanical devices don't come cheap unless production runs are in the 10,000s. So there is very little margin for profit unless everyone wants the same thing.

12 volt is okay, but you would get much more power to weight output with 24 volts. And, the current rating is 50%. Most semiconductors for switching power are happy with less than 60 volts or so. So why such low voltage.

Wheels are directly related to motor speed [noparse][[/noparse]via their diameter]. Thus, it is best to have a whole package that balances the motor, the gearing, and the wheel diameter in order to optimize the useful life of all. The big the wheel, the slow the RPM output. Since electric motors really like to run at about 3000 plus RPM, gears are a must.

I don't quite see how these motors will mount to a chassis. If the motor mount is included in the design, there is an 'added value' to the package.

For people that insist on making their own combinations- a good motor mount of 3 types would be useful. All should be rugged. Lynxmotion has a servo mount, but it is quite lightweight. Others have provided gearheal mounts, again quite lightweight.

In other words, if you are going to compete in the marketplace - you motor mounts should stand up to the most abuse. People will pay signficantly more if they only have to buy them once rather than replace damage.

1. generic servo mount
    2. generic small 50-400 RPM gearhead mount [noparse][[/noparse]this is a 1/4 output shaft
    3. generic NEMA stepper motor mount

I have said it before and I will repeat.·

I paid $2000 for my first IBM PC package as it was complete.· Whomever is able to provide a complete durible, balanced·robotics platform for $2000 is likely to have similar sales success.

In such a case, I·still like the hybrid·gasoline generator to altenator to electric motor configuration.· Recharging batteries really creates huge downtime in the field.·· But one needs the electric motor to have ultimate programible control.

A low center of gravity is as important and high wheel clearance and these two design parameters are often conflicting.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "Everything in the world is purchased by labour; and our passions are the only causes of labor." -- David·Hume (1711-76)········
    ···················· Tropically,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan

Post Edited (Kramer) : 9/9/2007 11:10:42 AM GMT
    edited 2007-09-10 01:17
    This is about as far as I can get with my design:

Frame.jpg

I need the dimensions of the bearing block, locations of the mounting holes and total length of the bearing block with the motor attached.
    edited 2007-09-10 18:09
    We are currently in the middle of changes due to the encoders.· As soon as we have some information regarding the correct dimensions I will post them.

Dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dave Andreae

Parallax Tech Support·
    edited 2007-09-17 21:35
    I don't mean to keep bugging you guys, but you have a PM Ken...
  • DJSandbergDJSandberg Posts: 56
    edited 2007-09-18 01:55
    Ken,

I like the idea of an easy to mount motor and wheel combination. There really isn't anything out in the market in this size range. I use these motors in a robot now and they have good power and the right speed and are very quite.

My only negative comment is on the tire tread. The robot won't go anywhere in wet grass which would be a bummer since this is the perfect size for Robomagellan type robots.

With two of these and two HB025s, you could have a driving/steering robot up and running in a coupe of hours.

Daryl
    edited 2007-09-20 12:32
    Just had to ask - any new info on the wheels/motors/encoders or the prototype big-BOE Bot?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Whit+

• slashsplatslashsplat Posts: 63
    edited 2007-09-20 13:54
    I'll take a pair if you bundle with the controller.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    slashsplat
    /* Ira Chandler */
    http://BotConnect.com
  • slashsplatslashsplat Posts: 63
    edited 2007-09-20 14:41
    Wheels at
    www.allelectronics.com/
    search for
    wheels 6"
    and they are $1.50 or so with a 9mm hole. I have some and they are hard rubber, narrow, but VERY functional on hard surfaces. They also have multiple sizes. See WH-17 and WH-17 parts.

1" casters are 4 for $3.75 CST-13 for tail draggers.

Tower has a pair of 6" strong foam wheels, great traction, for $16.75 www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXB934&P=7 that fit a 4mm shaft, but can be drilled to larger axles.

Neither types of wheels have any locking mechanism included - slot, key, setscrew...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    slashsplat
    /* Ira Chandler */
    http://BotConnect.com
    edited 2007-09-20 22:47
    Whit said...
    Just had to ask - any new info on the wheels/motors/encoders or the prototype big-BOE Bot?

We are still going through the R&D of it as we speak.· We are fine tuning all of our ideas.· As soon as we have some concrete information we will post it here on the forums.· I apologize for the inconvenience, we just want to make sure that it works for most applications.·

Dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dave Andreae

Parallax Tech Support·
    edited 2007-09-21 02:25
    Dave Andreae (Parallax) said...
    We are still going through the R&D of it as we speak.· We are fine tuning all of our ideas.· As soon as we have some concrete information we will post it here on the forums.· I apologize for the inconvenience, we just want to make sure that it works for most applications.·
    Dave,

Thanks. No need to apologize for trying to make something as good as it can be. That is what makes you guys so great!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Whit+

edited 2007-09-21 06:35
    My sentiments also WHIT.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

robosapienv2-4mem8.page.tl/
    edited 2007-10-04 00:10
    Any news? Gotta to start planning my next purchase.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Whit+